The One and Only Stuey Lewis: Stories from the Second Grade

The One and Only Stuey Lewis: Stories from the Second Grade (Stuey Lewis #1)

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  201 ratings  ·  63 reviews
So what if Stuey isn’t the world’s best reader, is only allowed to trick or treat around one block, doesn’t get to play on his soccer dream team, and has to put up with the most annoying girl on the planet. Somehow Stuey always makes life work and when he puts his mind to it, he can survive anything—even second grade. This hilarious collection of linked short stories, inte...more
Published July 5th 2011 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about The One and Only Stuey Lewis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The One and Only Stuey Lewis

538pm_stephanie
Stuey Lewis is a 2nd grade student who shares his fears, secrets, likes and dislikes with the readers through four short stories. With the help of Stuey's best friend, Will, and his second grade teacher, Ginger, Stuey is able to conquer the challenges of second grade and has some funny tales to tell along the way.

Stuey's story is definitely geared toward second graders, although it could be used for third or fourth grade students as well (though I don't think they will enjoy reading about a char...more
Jeff Raymond
An unfortunately lackluster collection of short stories about a somewhat annoying child traversing through scenes of his childhood. It may have been the adult in me that really felt bothered by Stuey, but the common theme for me, at least, was the belief that there was almost certainly a better option available out there.

Not much else to say. A short book with very short stories and not a ton of positive things to say about it, unfortunately.
Kkakaliouras
Stuey Lewis is a good kid, a fun little second grader and I wanted to like this book but I didn't. It wasn't anything that I haven't read before. There are the usual characters, primarily big brother, who calls him Stu-pid, best friend and a handful of classmates, particularly Lilly, who is the class
smartypants and who Stuey just doesn't
like at all. Same old same old. And frankly I am growing tired of books for young readers (boys especially)that have smart but obnoxious and annoying little girl...more
Melanie
Stuey Lewis is starting 2nd grade this year. He's really nervous because he still can't read that well and his best friend Will, is a reading machine. When he gets to school and finds out that this year they are going to have 6th grade reading buddies he feels quite sick. But he eventually learns that not everyone is a great reader to begin with and everyone has to work at it.

September turns into October and it's time for Stuey's favorite time of the year: Halloween!! Stuey loves candy more than...more
Tasha
This series of stories are about Stuey’s time in second grade. Stuey is not a confident kid, often choosing to just not even try before has a chance to fail. When he starts second grade, Stuey pretends to be sick because he can’t read as well as he thinks he should be able to. But Stuey is also creative. When his mother tells him he can only trick-or-treat on their block, he comes up with a cunning plan to get plenty of candy. But things do go wrong, like when he doesn’t get put on the same socc...more
Sarah W
Have you ever tried to hide something you're not good at? Do you have a secret you don't even want your best friend to know? That's life for Stuey Lewis at the start of second grade. He's afraid of being found out and that fear messes with everything.

What's Stuey's secret? He can't read. When his best friend invites him fishing, Stuey is excited to go until he learns a trip to the bookstore is included. Not wanting to look dumb in front of his super reader friend, Stuey tries to back out of the...more
Teresa
In four chapters, a terrific exploration of the fears and dynamics of school, sibling rivalry and especially learning to read. Stuey is very nervous about starting 2nd grade, because he can't read (well) yet and he's sure he's the only one. His teacher picks up on his worries and works it out with him. Later, he and his oldest buddy (an avid reader, BTW) cook up a Halloween plot to get more candy. He considers starting soccer, but his older brother is a soccer star--how will he measure up? And w...more
Katie
A sweet and engaging story about a second-grader who struggles with reading, his big brother, and other typical second-grade concerns (plus some positive things, like a caring teacher and a supportive best friend). Good for reluctant readers and those just starting chapter books.
Jess
Feb 19, 2014 Jess rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jess by: Monarch
Shelves: 14, chapter-books, monarch
It's OK.

Calling teachers by their first names? sigh. Teacher being more of a parent than the parent? sigh. Name calling throughout the book? sigh.

Most of the reviews are positive, both professional and amateur. Dunno.
Amy
My second grade students LOVED this book!!! It speaks so vividly to the things of second grade and they felt such a connection with Stuey. We have spent a large portion of time discuss the personal narrative side of Stuey and the four secrets that unfolded in each "chapter" that we read. Stuey's fears, his triumphs, his insecurities, his likes and dislikes make sense to my 2nd graders. We have had a lot of fun together through this book and am sad that it is over. We will be saying goodbye to a...more
Mira
I was luck enough to get an advanced reader's copy of this delightful, hilarious and
touching story about an unforgettable little boy named Stuey Lewis. This little
second grade guy goes through challenge after challenge and lives to tell the tale.
A perfect read-aloud book for younger children as well as a great reader for kids in
second and third grade. Keep your eye out for more books in this fun series. I LOVE Stuey!
And check out his nemesis, the infamous Lily Stanley. I think she deserves a boo...more
Jackie
Stuey Lewis has all the typical fears and joys of a second grade kid. Is he reading well enough? Will his Halloween costume be scary enough? Can he ever live up to the awesomeness of his big brother's soccer ability? Does he really have to end second grade and leave his beloved teacher, Ginger, behind when he goes to third?

The One and Only Stuey Lewis: Stories From the Second Grade is full of humor and delight. A great introduction into early chapter books for those readers who are now able to r...more
H
A serviceable book for late 1st grade / 2nd grade looking for chapter books. The first chapter regarding Stuey's first week in school will work great as a read aloud (though teachers will cringe at the idea of a classroom teacher encouraging her students to call her by her first name! Yikes!!!) and since it concentrates on picking "Just Right Books" using the 5-finger rule this will work fantastic in the beginning of school as teachers and reading specialists teach this rule again. May take off...more
Maureen
This author fills the need for short stories in an early chapter form--like Arnold Lobel does so well in Frog and Toad.
Janet
I really liked Stuey Lewis. He was a realistic character - not yet a reader but still very creative and smart. His Halloween caper idea was brilliant. I wish I'd thought of it as a child!

As for Joliet Reads... I think the kids would really enjoy it. Would the district's teachers mind that his brother calls him "Stu-pid" when their mom is not around? The brother also called him "Jerk" one time, but gets in trouble for it. For the committee's purposes, I think this would be a good choice for third...more
Sam
What a cute book. The One and Only Stuey Lewis is told in four chapters about 2nd grade for Stuey. It starts out with the beginning of school and Stuey has a secret, he is afraid that everyone else reads better than he does. But with the help of his teacher he finds out that he can read just fine. The last chapter is about the last 3 days of school and how Stuey has decided that he is going to skip it because he does not want the school year to end.

I will definitely keep this book to read to my...more
Shauna
I won this book on a First Reads Giveaway and feel terrible that I am just getting to it now. It apparently got lost in the sea of books in my Third Grader's bedroon. Anyway, we pulled this book out and I read it to my First and Third grader each morning before they went to school. We finished in 3 days. I felt it was a very simple read. Definately for the K-3 type. My kids enjoyed it and actually listened rather than fought with each other. I hope to see more Stuey adventures. It would be nice...more
Mrs. Wynn
3.5 Stars

Stuey finds friendship in unexpected places. Good story about a second-grader (making this a hard sell for third, fourth, and fifth graders maybe) who is worried about his inability to read as well as his classmates. Only regret is the name-calling between Stuie and his older brother, Anthony, and the fact that the teacher asks her second graders to call her "Ginger." Hmmm.

Recommended for : second grade as a read aloud, not sure how interested older kids will be in a book about second g...more
Deborah Jones
The book opens with Stuey, who is in second grade, not wanting to go to school because he can’t read. The book takes us through his second grade year with stories that happen along the way. Realistic dialogue makes us feel the character’s angst as he struggles through the year and realizes that things will turn out alright. Readers can identify with the problems he has and how he gets through them with help from his teacher, family and friends. I really want to see what happens in 3rd grade.
Anne-marie
This was a cute book, nothing ground-breaking, but my kids really enjoyed hearing about Stuey's adventures. I think this would have been a great book to introduce a first or second grader to reading chapter books independently. The pages use large print and are relatively easy to read, so I think there's some potential my 6-year-old could have handled it alone. I personally didn't find the stories as intriguing or entertaining as some of he other books we've read together.
Pat Salvatini
Four short stories in one book, Stuey Lewis is just trying to survive the start of second grade. He must learn how to read, get the most candy at Halloween, live up to his older brother's reputation in soccer, and deal with an annoying classmate. The chapters are rather long for beginning readers, but each chapter is essential a stand alone story. This would be a better recommendation for readers already comfortable with chapter books and ready to transition to longer text.
Allison
Honestly, I don't have much to say on this book other than I read it as completion for the Monarch list.
Bookslut
This was a great chapter book. It crosses genders very easily, it's enjoyable for kids and adults, and I'd recommend it to anybody with little kids.
Danielle
I liked this story and the characters I felt that it was age appropriate and taught many valuable lessons that young children need to learn such as, "being yourself", and "learning in your own time" plus many more. I will definately recommend this book to many young people who cross my path in life and work.
Plus it was cute and fun to read i really enjoyed it.
The Library Lady
After an afternoon of mediocre picture books, it's nice to read a good old early novel with plenty of boy appeal. And no offense to Lenore Look, because I really like her "Ruby Lu" books, but I like Stuey a lot more than "Alvin Ho" whom I find irritating beyond belief.
Michelle Kilty
Ugh. First off, I tend to be hyper critical of chapter books that do not have defined chapters. I get it when it is a stylistic choice, but in this book it is not the case.

I found that the story was incredibly boring. For a kid who likes school stories this might hit the spot, but don't you dare hand this to a kid who wants a little adventure!
Ms. Wms
This is a good book. I liked it a lot. It was funny.

This is a good book because each chapter is a different story about Stuey. I like it a lot because it is funny. Stuey has what he thinks are great ideas but they get him into trouble in funny ways. He and his brother and great arguments that are funny too.
A gentle read for newbie readers or reluctant older readers. A series of linked stories follow Stuey as he learns to love to read, hatches a fantastic Halloween caper, and has other adventures. Sweet and funny, Stuey is a great addition to early chapter books for young boys.
Angela
My 6 year old son and I enjoyed this book. He could really relate to the stories. I did do some improv to avoid the name-calling (more than enough "stupid") but other than that, this was a great chapter book for my son.berenstain bears
Deb
This book will make a great beginning of the year read aloud for my 2nd graders. Stuey conquers what I'm sure are real worries for some students and he does it in surprising and real ways. I can't wait to hear the class talk it generates.
  • Invisible Inkling
  • 11 Experiments That Failed
  • Like Pickle Juice on a Cookie (Eleanor, #1)
  • Same, Same But Different
  • I Wanna New Room
  • The Trouble With Chickens (J.J. Tully Mystery #1)
  • Meet the Dogs of Bedlam Farm
  • Lulu and the Duck in the Park
  • The Gingerbread Man Loose in the School
  • Tales for Very Picky Eaters
  • Brothers at Bat: The True Story of an Amazing All-Brother Baseball Team
  • Biblioburro: A True Story from Colombia
  • Marty McGuire
  • The Camping Trip That Changed America
  • Boris on the Move (Boris #1: A Branches Book)
  • Chicken Big
  • Keena Ford and the Second Grade Mix Up
  • Frankie Pickle and the Mathematical Menace
Jane Schoenberg is the author of My Bodyworks, Songs about your bones, muscles, heart and more; The Baby Hustle; The One and Only Stuey Lewis, and Stuey Lewis Against All Odds.
Awards include: A Children's Book Council/National Science Teacher's Association Outstanding Science Trade Book, Bank Street College best books, and Parent's Choice.

Jane is also a lyricist. She lives in Western Massachusett...more
More about Jane Schoenberg...
Stuey Lewis Against All Odds: Stories from the Third Grade My Bodyworks: Songs about Your Bones, Muscles, Heart and More! [With CD (Songs)] The Baby Hustle: An Interactive Book with Wiggles and Giggles! Heart Family Handbook: A Complete Guide For The Entire Family Of Anyone With Any Heart Condition To Help Make It The Speediest, Most Complete Recover