Start by marking “With Child (Kate Martinelli, #3)” as Want to Read:
With Child (Kate Martinelli, #3)

With Child (Kate Martinelli #3)

3.92  ·  Rating Details ·  2,682 Ratings  ·  106 Reviews
Adrift in mist-shrouded San Francisco mornings and alcohol-fogged nights, homicide detective Kate Martinelli can't escape the void left by her departed lover, who has gone off to rethink their relationship.  But when twelve-year-old Jules Cameron comes to Kate for a professional consultation, Kate's not sure she's that desperate for distraction.

Jules is worried about her f
Published January 15th 1996 by Minotaur Books (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about With Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about With Child

Carol
I recently discovered Ms. King and have liked her work..This story was from her Kate Martinelli series. Kate has offered to watch Jules the thirteen year old stepdaughter of her friend and fellow police partner,while the couple are on their honeymoon. Kate decides to take a long car drive with Jules to surprise her friend in Washington. They stop for the night at a motel. The next morning Jules is gone. Kate already frantic finds out from the locals that a serial killer is on the loose..
Heather
Jan 26, 2009 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just gave in and let myself spend the afternoon finishing this book. While I wasn't impressed with every aspect of the writing (sometime the dialogue seemed a little stilted), I ultimately became totally absorbed in the story. I'm impressed with the complexity and depth of the characters and can't wait to read another book in the series. This is the first one I've read -- someone gave me this book a while ago and frankly I was reading it so that I could pass it on or get rid of it -- now I wan ...more
Joy
Jun 28, 2009 Joy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, american, 20c
WK
Jun 27, 2008 WK rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lrk
Emotions run high in this Martinelli book where Kate is unwelcomingly given hard lessons in self realization by her life-partners behavior. In addition her dogged detective skills have never been more important then when Kate is given the responsibility of child-sitting Al new teenage daughter, and she disappears.
Jessica
King crafts her mysteries so much better than most other authors, even though (or maybe because) the mystery isn't an end in itself - it's a lens through which we see the characters grow and wrestle with themselves. A+ as always.
Robert Scott
Expertly written, this novel is chock full of angst due to several separate events. A cop trying to become part of a single parent family, a cop trying to locate a homeless boy, a cop angry because of an overlong separation from her lover/housemate, and a teenage young lady with a very mature mind but naive about human relations, and her sudden disappearance. Voluntarily?, kidnapping?, the Strangler? As always, King delivers with Kate Martinelli.
Cherie Bush
Nov 08, 2016 Cherie Bush rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Family dynamics, abduction, homelessness and other serious topics woven together in a gripping tale. Not for the faint of heart.
Susan W
Not as good as her others, but a good read.
Po Over
Dec 16, 2016 Po Over rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery

Inspector Al Hawkins is engaged to Jani, an intriguing character to whom we were first introduced in Laurie R. King's scintillating debut, A Grave Talent. In With Child -- King's third installment of the Kate Martinelli series -- Jani's rebellious teenage daughter, Jules, is not taking the transition well. She confides as much to the transient neighborhood youth, Dio. When Dio mysteriously goes missing, Jules engages father-to-be's partner, Kate Martinelli, to investigate. This proves to be quit

Mike Cuthbert
Jul 21, 2016 Mike Cuthbert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an odd mystery in that it doesn’t really become a mystery until 2/3 in. Up until then it is a fascinating character study of a wounded San Francisco detective, Kate Martinelli, her partner, Lee and a confused and confusing teen, Jules Cameron. Add in Jules’ friend, Dio, and you have an interesting cast, but nothing much happens to them until Jules begins getting mysterious calls and Kate decides to take Jules on a trip north of San Francisco. The book then shifts into high gear and becom ...more
Vickie
Oct 30, 2011 Vickie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I gave this book 5 stars because I could NOT put it down. Halfway through I was completely committed to the plot and stayed up a few hours past my bedtime to finish it. the ending was quite, quite abrupt, which left me a little bit unsatisfied, but I still enjoyed myself up to that point.

I was a bit concerned because I read the first, but not the second, book in this series. Fortunately the jump is not too crazy, and I was able to deduct what had previously occured no problem.

I'm not a fan of th
Linda S Adams
Nov 23, 2014 Linda S Adams rated it it was amazing
Great Laurie R King!

I have been reading King for years - but the Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes series, not the Kate Martinelli books. I started with the first one of the series, A Grave Talent, followed by To Play the Fool and now by this one ... With Child. The main character, Kate Martinelli, is an experienced San Francisco police officer in the mid 1990*s who has just been transferred to Homicide in the first book of the series.

But as with all the Laurie R King books that I have read , these a
Joan
Dec 16, 2009 Joan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read Laurie King many years ago, but liked them enough to go a second round. I accidentally read them out of order, but I think I am now back in synch. I love her characters and the way she writes.

The following is a reviewers review:

I can't think of any moments in recent mysteries that equal the sheer physical and emotional terror of Kate Martinelli's discovery--about halfway through this third book in Laurie R. King's excellent series, now available in paperback--that the 12-year-old girl sh
Joe Slavinsky
Jan 16, 2016 Joe Slavinsky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Laurie R. King is quickly becoming a favorite author(although I must admit, that I have MANY favorites). I absolutely LOVE her "Mary Russell" series, which is one of the most original ideas, ever. She is also one of 13 authors, of the book, "Naked Came the Phoenix", which I read several years ago, and now follow several of those 13. Anyway, because of the Russell series, I decided to start her "Kate Martinelli" series, of which this book is the third. This series is also very original, in that K ...more
Mar 06, 2014 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Since her lover Lee is off rediscovering her independence by playing lumberjack with her eccentric aunt, San Francisco cop Kate Martinelli is desperate for distraction. Her young friend Jules, a prodigy with some emotional issues, provides just that: a quest to locate her homeless pal, Dio. This sets of a chain reaction of events that goes on for months and puts Kate through the wringer, physically and emotionally. Really excellent characterization, which is necessary because large chunks of the ...more
Kate
Jun 20, 2015 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, 2015
I enjoyed With Child, although it didn't really feel like a mystery to me. It's more a novel about Kate Martinelli.

True, Kate spends the first chunk of the book investigating a missing boy, but that isn't the focus of the book. It's really more about Kate's relationship with Jules, as well as Kate's search to figure things out.

Overall, I enjoyed the book, particularly that (view spoiler)
Suzanne
Jul 30, 2014 Suzanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my third book in the series. At first I did not want to read about a child who possibly went missing. I actually skipped this book to read the next one. It really did not affect the story line. But, what I did miss was the development of the character, what made her tick and why. So, then I went back to read this one. I am amazed how much I get to know Kate as a character, how she begins to open up, almost like a developing friendship. At first tentative steps, trust issues, support sys ...more
Richard
Jan 29, 2012 Richard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my first Laurie King book, and by far my favorite. Some authors, you just click with their prose, and King is not one of those writers for me. Bits seem oddly phrased, characterizations seem murky... that's a good word for how her writing strikes me: murky. But it's all a matter of personal taste, of course, and I certainly wouldn't consider her a bad writer. Anyhow, none of my King criticisms really apply here. With Child is full of bright, sympathetic characters and memorable scenes.
Bill
Oct 21, 2015 Bill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice love drama with a mystery to bring it all together.

I like the theme here and how it pulls together. I like the relationship with Lee and Kate, even if its just a hole where the relationship used to be in the beginning. I like Jules.

There are no hot and heavy lesbian scenes in here. If you're the type that avoids that, you're safe to read this book. If you, like me, rather enjoy scenes of any number of people being intimate, in any number of combinations, don't be too disappointed. Sex sce
Chana
I think I have read this before, it seemed familiar, especially the main characters; Jules the 13 year old girl and Kate the detective.
A lot of this book is actually not a mystery at all, it is more about Kate and her feelings, which is OK but not memorable. Jules is a likeable character, one of the early child techies. btw, the technology in this book is pretty outdated, things have changed a lot in 15 years. Kate doesn't even have a cell phone. But the outdated tech does not spoil the story, t
Michelle
Mar 22, 2010 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite of the Martinelli series. Kate, lost and alone after her partner Lee deserts her for an island in Washington, befriends her partner's girlfriend's daughter Jules. Their friendship develops around a mystery, and then Jules disappears. The most heart-wrenching of all the Martinelli books and the better for it. My only complaint is there wasn't enough - I wanted a postscript. But that's a great complaint. Highly recommend!!
M
Nov 08, 2012 M rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jules is a genius thirteen yr old who wants more from her family life. When her birth father makes contact and kidnaps her, Inspector Kate Martinelli doggedly pursues every lead until she finally gets Jules friend Dio to give up more clues. Lee spends most of the book trying to "find" herself while Kate tries to deal with the pain of missing her. Luckily Lee emerges just when Kate could use the support. Excellent mystery.
L
Apr 21, 2015 L rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I really do like King's Kate Martinelli character. This one has her helping out a young friend, 12-year old Jules Cameron, on a missing persons problem. All seems going reasonably well until things go awry. Then they really go awry! Good thing Martinelli is smart and caring (more for others, sometimes, than herself). The relationships between Martinelli, Jules, and Dio (the missing person) make the book worth reading all on their own. On top of that, though, there is a solid plot.
Trina
Dec 05, 2007 Trina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Strange. The abduction mentioned in every summary and blurb I found about the book doesn't actually happened until over halfway through. The whole first half is just character development and build up. Which is great- except I had read those blurbs. I just kept waiting for something I already knew was going to happen. Once it did, I raced through the rest of the book. Altogether, a great book but reading the back cover first ruins it a bit.
LJ
WITH CHILD - Ex
King, Laurie R. - 3rd in Kate Martinelli series

Kate Martinelli, a San Francisco homicide detective, feels rejected by her partner, Lee. Confused, Kate befriends 12-year-old Jules and agrees to care for her while her parents are away. During a visit to Lee, in an area where a serial killer has been victimizing young girls, Jules disappears.

Very good although the protagonist/author seems preoccupied with the homeless. Still, it was a very good read.
Jess
Oct 23, 2011 Jess rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I checked this book out from the library three times before I was in the right mood to read it. But as soon as I started, it grabbed me and I ripped through it at top speed. It goes at a breakneck pace, and the mystery evolves very compellingly. Lots of good character development, too, especially between the main character and her romantic partner. This is the strongest Kate Martinelli novel I've read yet.
DianeR
Jun 13, 2012 DianeR rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd actually give this book 4.5 stars. King's skill has improved with each Kate Martinelli novel and while I don't care for for Mary Russell series, this character plus the central character of each novel (in this one a young, brilliant teen named Julie) appealed to me immediately. What happens when Julie disappears? Is she the latest victim of a serial killer? Twice the surprise was so shocking that my hand literally flew to my open mouth. I LOVE it when that happens!
Bert Mccollum
Jun 26, 2013 Bert Mccollum rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As with so many Laurie King books 'With Child' starts out deceptively calm and quiet introducing a set of interesting, attractive characters: their thoughts, feelings, pleasures, anxieties. Then on page 145 with three little words King yanks the ground from beneath the reader's feet as the story turns suddenly, almost unbearably dark and suspenseful. It's like walking through a park on a quiet summer day and, out of nowhere, having a tree fall on your head.
Jody
Feb 12, 2009 Jody rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The 3rd in the series of Kate Martinelli. This book is much more emotional the the 1st 2. No spoilers in this review, just a really great, can't put it down mystery. With each book her characters grow and you "know" them, not just as 2 dimensional book characters but as friends. Laurie King combines several plots that all come together nicely in the end. I hated to have to end this book, so I rushed out to the library & fortunately they had the next 2 in the series1
Jill Porter
Apr 06, 2015 Jill Porter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, mysteries
This is the third book in the Kate Martinelli series by Laurie R King. Heart pounding terror and excitement. Laurie really knows how to tell spin a story that sucks you right into its terror. Set in San Fransico, you feel like you could have always lived there. The descriptions of the surroundings, the character development are all so impressive!
  • The Intersection of Law and Desire (Micky Knight, #3)
  • I'll Be Leaving You Always (Lauren Laurano, #2)
  • Califia's Daughters
  • Apparition Alley (Kate Delafield, #6)
  • Mallory's Oracle (Kathleen Mallory, #1)
  • Stay (Aud Torvingen #2)
  • Till the Butchers Cut Him Down
  • Petty Treason (Sarah Tolerance, #2)
Edgar-winning mystery writer Laurie R. King writes series and standalone novels. Her official forum is
THE LRK VIRTUAL BOOK CLUB here on Goodreads--please join us for book-discussing fun.

King's most recent novel, Dreaming Spies, sees Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes travel from Japan to Oxford, in a case with international players and personal meaning. The Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes series foll
More about Laurie R. King...

Kate Martinelli (5 books)
  • A Grave Talent  (Kate Martinelli, #1)
  • To Play the Fool (Kate Martinelli, #2)
  • Night Work (Kate Martinelli, #4)
  • The Art of Detection (Kate Martinelli, #5)