Start by marking “Kraftwerk: Man, Machine and Music” as Want to Read:
Kraftwerk: Man, Machine and Music

Kraftwerk: Man, Machine and Music

This is a portrait of this mysterious band's career.
Published September 1st 2004 by SAF Publishing (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Kraftwerk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kraftwerk

Sarah A
Mar 04, 2012 Sarah A rated it really liked it
This is the most informative book I've been able to find on this group thus far. Has a lot of pics and talks about the beginning when Florian and Ralf initially met and conceived the notion for th music. I love the ambient movement because I find it to be very ecclectic and diversified. My only complaint is that the book really does tend to center around the heyday of their career.
Simon
Sep 29, 2013 Simon rated it liked it
Kraftwerk's notorious high level of secrecy, an integral part of the band's underlying concept and a source of amusingly surreal anecdotes from the author, results in this being a decidedly odd read compared to every other band biography I've read so far. The little interviewing the author has done of Kraftwerk's central members are cryptic and sparse, the bulk of testimony coming from either former members or previous interviews if not outsiders the band has interacted with.

By far the most illu
Thomas Strömquist
Jul 02, 2014 Thomas Strömquist rated it liked it
Shelves: book-collection
"A biography of a band as non-disclosing as Kraftwerk can of course not be expected to contain any major revelations or surprises and this book really doesn't. Instead it is more of a extended album review covering the entire back catalogue, interspersed with some anecdotes and hypothesis. Recommended if especially interested."
Bagatela
Jun 26, 2008 Bagatela rated it liked it
This is an objective and modest approach to the inside world of Ralph and Florian. If the end results are not all that informative for a follower of the Düsseldorf duo, the reason is simple. This book is something of a semi official biography, written with the support of Kling-Klang, the clique that dwell’s in secrecy and concealed creativeness.
Devin Tait
Nov 02, 2010 Devin Tait rated it really liked it
This is a very insightful and interesting read. I didn't know much about Kraftwerk before but I always knew they had influences a lot of my favorite bands, so I thought I'd give this book a try when my mom gave it to me. I really enjoyed it and had to start tracking down Kraftwerk albums shortly after finishing it.
Joshua
Jun 20, 2007 Joshua rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2007
More music. Kraftwerk are kind of an enigma--super secretive, rarely releasing music as they haven't released anything of great worth since '82! I liked reading how totally into the ideology they are and how their views on music and image interconnect. I just loved reading how their early stuff was made and the ideas that were behind them.
SL
Jan 14, 2013 SL rated it liked it
Not terribly illuminating, but interesting nonetheless. Made me listen to all my Kraftwerk records...!
milton
Feb 13, 2007 milton rated it it was amazing
while written mostly from an almost hearsay point of view, an interesting look into the lives and music of the pioneers of electronic modern music.
Francisco Luis Benítez
Jul 15, 2012 Francisco Luis Benítez rated it really liked it
The most depth study about the top electronic band ever. Including interviews with Hütter and Schültz. Interesting if you're a big fan.
Apolonio Aguiar
Apolonio Aguiar rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2013
Eric Vincent
Eric Vincent rated it it was ok
Nov 02, 2008
Luis Farrolas
Luis Farrolas rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2015
Stuart
Stuart rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2012
Brian Duguid
Brian Duguid rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2013
Hannu Tikkanen
Hannu Tikkanen rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2012
Alistair
Alistair rated it it was amazing
Dec 05, 2015
J
J rated it really liked it
May 02, 2013
Michael Hillström
Michael Hillström rated it really liked it
Dec 13, 2013
Andy Brøner
Andy Brøner rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2016
Peter
Peter rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2014
Δnd
Δnd rated it liked it
Dec 18, 2009
Kirk
Kirk rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2016
Patrick
Patrick rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2014
Martin
Martin rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2007
Peter Aaron
Peter Aaron rated it liked it
Jul 01, 2011
C. Scott
C. Scott rated it liked it
Apr 03, 2014
Alessandro Sutcliffe
Alessandro Sutcliffe rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2016
Steve
Steve rated it really liked it
May 22, 2011
Robert Jaz
Robert Jaz rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2007
Nate H.
Nate H. rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2017