Finding Destiny (Sons of Destiny, #9)

Finding Destiny (Sons of Destiny #9)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  197 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Four brand-new novellas, from the national bestselling author of the Sons of Destiny series.
"The slave."..Chanson, a privileged Arbran dyara, discovers an unexpected connection with the excitingly different Eduor, a bracingly sexy war-slave who desires his freedom.
"The knight."..The Arbran diplomat Sir Zeilas must turn the Guildaran people from former enemies into alli...more
Published January 4th 2011 by Berkley Books (first published November 11th 2010)

Bookaholics
Finding Destiny by Jean Johnson
Paranormal Romance –Jan 4th, 2011
4 stars

Finding Destiny is a collection of 4 short novellas set in a magical world that’s made up of various nations which focus on stories set in: Sundara (the desert), Guildara (the hi-tech), Aurul (the most prosperous), and Jenodan Isles (the seafaring).

Sundara - In the first novel, a Mandarite nobleman turned slave, Eduor has arrived at Sundara, ready to begin a new life as freed man. When he meets the graceful priestess/dyara, C...more
Book Binge Blog
I very much have enjoyed reading the series that originated this anthology so was very excited to hear about this book. I read a good clip about the stories on her website:

It holds four stories, all set in the Sons of Destiny universe, each one a different flavor: village life, steampunk, palace life, and pirates. Each tale leads to the next, with each one set in a new kingdom, so you'll get the chance to explore new corners of their world with familiar faces...starting with the tale of what ha...more
Cindy
A group of four related stories - this one is set in the time soon after the Convocation of the Gods in the Brothers books. These stories are more about love and romance than conflict.

And ignore the cover, it's striking but has no bearing on the story.
Blodeuedd Finland
posted over at alternative read

I have not read the Sons of Destiny series but from what I can figure out that is not necessary and neither are they mentioned here. Those 8 books about 8 brothers take place on an Island only briefly mentioned on this book since they make chocolate there. Instead this anthology is about 4 kingdoms and 4 couples falling in love.

The Slave is about Eduor who used to be a nobleman in a country were women were only there to please men. But he ended up a sex slave in an...more
Mollie *scoutrmom*
Apr 21, 2011 Mollie *scoutrmom* rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Fans of fantasy romance
This collection of four novellas is based in the world of Johnson's wonderful Sons of Destiny series, but works well as a stand-alone. It may be read any time after the second book in the series, and the events in this collection do not affect the characters in the series.

I liked that the stories are mostly based on one character's point of view, and that the only insight we are given into the workings of the minds of the other characters is through the dialogue.

There was nothing deep or dramati...more
WillowBe
This book is a series of 4 novellas. The first is most notable for the object of desire being an identifiably African woman. Her eager swain is all blonde-haired and blue-eyed with a past of sexual abuse at the hands of women. If you like IR, and I do, and you're a sucker for the damaged- but-needing-the-love-of-a-good-woman-to-to heal type male, as I am, then this gentle romance ith "mildly graphic" sex- is for you. I mean, it's not graphic to me (look at my tags!), but I guess it's a 6 on the...more
Wendy Hines
Finding Destiny is set in the same worlds as Jean Johnson's best-selling series, the Sons of Destniy. However, whereas in that series, each book was about one of the sons, in Finding Destiny, is a novella compiled of four short stories set in different kingdoms of the same universe.

In the kingdom of Sundara, Eduar's owner suddenly dies of natural causes, thus freeing him. But many believe Eduar needs to go back to Mandare, where he can return to being a slave. The beatings were one thing, but hi...more
♆ BookAddict ~ La Crimson Femme
My mind loves threads. Threads that tie one thing to another for a whole picture. Ms. Johnson did a great job with this anthology like book. I enjoyed the Sons of Destiny series. This 9th one was a great return.

The Slave
This one started out slow for me. Still, I enjoyed it because I like the stories where a person works hard and is rewarded for his efforts. This was a sweet story which introduced my favourite character, Sir Zeilas.

The Knight
Sir Zeilas is the sweetest man. I liked everything abou
Kathy
Darcy
I was disappointed with this book. When I noticed that it was #9 within the Sons of Destiny I was excited to get back to those characters that I had learned to love over the last 8 books. Sadly we saw none of them, and there was only a slight mention of anything Nightfall. What this book encompasses is the same world, with some of the same things in it. I wish it would have said the world of the Son's of Destiny.

This book is made of 4 short stories, where one character from the just finished sto...more
Tamara
I don't know that I would call this book 9 of the sons of destiny as it doesn't take place on Nightfall island and Nightfall is only mentioned in passing, but the stories were wonderful as always. While I find Jean a little long winded in the discriptive department. (I am more interested in the characters than the decor) I skim those parts and consentrate on the stories. i LOVED HOW THE BOOK PROGRESSED WITH ONE CHARACTER FROM EACH STORY MOVING FORWARD TO HAVE THEIR OWN STORY. Y ONLY COMPLAINT IS...more
Bobs (Reader Unbound)
To be honest I only read the first story. I just could not make myself read the other ones. I was bored out of my mind on page 2. If you ask me I am a hero for actually making it to the end of the story.
I do not even remember the character's names ( well I was never good with names), but I do remember that the man has a strange tongue and the woman was a priestess that was a lot of experience in the passionate affairs. And that just about sums it up.
Barbara ★
I'm not a fan of anthologies and didn't realize this was one when I picked it up. (This just happens to be one of my "must buy" authors.) This is four connected stories set in the lands of the Sons of Destiny world but without any real connection to the first eight books. I could have done without The Slave story as it was just mediocre but the other three were very good and could have been even better had they been longer.
gremlin
This was an interesting collection of four novellas set in the world of the Sons of Destiny, but otherwise unrelated to that series.

Each novella had a new couple in a new kingdom with a different feel. One of the cool bits is that (except for the first) a side character from the story moves on to become the main character of the next.
Mad about
Collection of short stories all based around the same world as the sons of destinies
The main character from each book is mentioned in the previous so you see a chain of events with new people and places. Each one was compelling and thoroughly enjoyable
Wlfgrl
oh godd i am going to be picking this up i cannot get wnough of wolfers body and kelly bossyness heyy hope gives it all the teist with her seer powers and i love her gosh i mean this id going to be great
Karen Desmond
I've always enjoyed this series. Following a character from one story to the next is a nice touch. My personal favourite was Aurul.
Linda
I loved this collection of stories from the world of the "Sons of Destiny" series.
Lois Gosline-Pomeroy
I have enjoyed many of Jean Johnson's books but this one was to slow moving for me
Liz
3.5 stars needed more in the stories.
Gabrielle
Gabrielle marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Sandra
Sandra marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Rjmc8888
Rjmc8888 marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Joyce Guo
Joyce Guo marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
Nancy Jones
Nancy Jones marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
  • Hearts and Swords: Four Original Stories of Celta
  • Darkfire Kiss (Dragonfire, #6)
  • Darkness on Fire (Paladins of Darkness, #9)
  • Reaper's Justice (Shadow Reapers, #1)
  • Warcry  (Chronicles of the Warlands, #4)
  • Bastian (The Lords of Satyr, #6)
  • The Mammoth Book of Time Travel Romance
  • Blood Challenge (World of the Lupi, #7)
  • Skin Heat (Skin, #3)
  • The Duke & the Pirate Queen
  • Immortal Champion (Immortal Brotherhood, #3)
  • Master of Darkness (Mageverse, #9)
Berkley/Jove Authors Bio

(1)romance author, science fiction author

Jean Johnson currently lives in the Pacific Northwest, has played in the SCA for 25 years, sings a lot, and argues with her cat about territorial rights to her office chair. She loves hearing from her readers, and has a distinct sense of humor. Rig...more
More about Jean Johnson...
The Sword (Sons of Destiny, #1) A Soldier's Duty (Theirs Not to Reason Why, #1) The Storm (Sons of Destiny, #6) The Wolf (Sons of Destiny, #2) The Cat (Sons of Destiny, #5)