Start by marking “Get Up Off Your Knees: Preaching the U2 Catalog” as Want to Read:
Get Up Off Your Knees: Preaching the U2 Catalog

Get Up Off Your Knees: Preaching the U2 Catalog

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Get Up Off Your Knees is a thoughtful and provocative collection of sermons by a group of preachers from across the international church spectrum who have been moved to theological reflection on the art and work of U2. This book will appeal to fans of U2, students of homiletics, and everyone interested in the intersection of art, popular culture, and religion.
Published November 30th 2003 by Cowley Publications (first published May 25th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Get Up Off Your Knees, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Get Up Off Your Knees

Corey Friedrich
Get Up Off Your Knees is a collection of sermons from ministers of different Christian denominations that are based on the lyrics of U2 songs. Each chapter begins with a scripture reference and the titles of one or two songs that the sermon is based on. The readings are best suited as daily devotionals. As with any collection of essays by different authors, quality varies from one chapter to the next. Still, there were some really great pieces here and the overall effect was a deeper understandi ...more
Skip
A very informative spiritual guide to the link between Christian faith and the songs of U2. Edited by two Episcopalians, the book contains sermons from across the spectrum of Christian faith that demonstrate links between the songs/lyrics of U2 and the band members' {particularly lead vocalist/frontman Bono Vox) pronouncements about their faith experiences. A wonderful book for those fans of U2 and those who are able to find credible links between pop culture and the Christian experience.
Julie M
Nov 20, 2014 Julie M rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Dawn
Recommended to Julie by: Dawn
Shelves: own-this-book
Some of these essays were very insightful, some farfetched, and some just not . . well written. Still, I'll read most anything about my favorite rock stars! Poor Bono, he's in tough shape this month after his bicycle accident in Central Park. Healing prayers to him.
Harry
Great selection of sermons based on U2 songs. For those of us who are pastors and U2 fans, it is a fun book...especially while thinking of doing a series of sermons along these lines. Read...get inspired...and enjoy.
Shawn
May 07, 2009 Shawn added it
Shelves: u2
Just because I have read does not mean that anyone should expect this stuff. Besides, if I am to quote anyone out here, I would quote either country artists or the Rat Pack.
Dylan
OK ... so I'm biased. :D
RF
We like U2... a lot...
Joy
Joy marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
David
David marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Dennis
Dennis marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Nathan
Nathan marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Deana Vassar
Deana Vassar marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Jason Keenon
Jason Keenon marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Meditations for Lay Eucharistic Ministers The Spirit of the Curé of Ars Manual for Interior Souls Practical Piety Set Forth by St. Francis de Sales The Voice of My Prayer: Short Meditations for Sundays and Holy Days