Start by marking “Ask Me If I'm Happy” as Want to Read:
Ask Me If I'm Happy

Ask Me If I'm Happy

4.53 of 5 stars 4.53  ·  rating details  ·  30 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Sometimes the simplest questions are the hardest ones to ask.

Emily Miller is forced to spend a day in Bologna when she'd rather be catching her flight to the US. Determined to put ten years in Italy and her marriage behind her, she wants to have nothing to do with anything – or anyone – Italian ever again.

For Davide Magnani, chivalry isn't yet dead. He accompanies Emily to
Kindle Edition
Published November 15th 2010 by Diiarts (first published November 11th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Ask Me If I'm Happy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ask Me If I'm Happy

Jeane
I’ve started reading ‘Ask if I’m happy’ this morning and am enjoying it a lot already. On page 26 and before she realizes what the last reason is why he watched her… I think I realized it too and went to check in the previous pages. At the moment I have this joy of what might come going through me … and instead of preparing to go out and buy groceries, clean the flat….. I continue reading and enjoy to be in Bologna at least in the story if not in real. I guess it is a compliment if you feel like ...more
Richard Pierce
Ask Me If I'm Happy revolves around those tiny insignificances in relationships which, if left unattended, grow into insurmountable barriers between lovers, friends, even.

I read the first few chapters of this when Kim put them up on the authonomy web site a few years ago, and have always wondered what the whole story would be like.

The fact that this novel is set in Italy is such a plus, as it avoids the parochial type of literature which often comes out of the US. In fact, the few small parts of
Kimberly
Sep 28, 2011 Kimberly added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Italophiles, people learning Italian, fans of love stories and descriptive writing and "slow reads"
I'm going to follow the lead of my fellow writers and say this:
I wrote it. Of course I would give it five stars. However, I really do think it's a good read, and it's worth it to a reader to spend some time with this story if they think it'd be their sort of thing.

If you don't trust my word - and why should you? - take a look at other reviews and see what they thought. Read the free first chapter available on my website (www.kmenozzi.com) and see if that interests you. My work has to speak for i
Debbi
One of the best stories I have read in years. Refreshing in it's realistic approach to romance. This book can, and should, be turned into a movie. The characters are real. You can relate to them. Once I started to read the first few pages I was hooked. It was difficult to put the book down. Hours would pass easily as I lost myself in the storyline. Kimberly Menozzi is a word artist. She can create a canvas so realistic you could swear you lived it. I highly recommend this book.
Voirey Linger
When Emily Miller's fairytale marriage ends in betrayal, she's anxious to put Italy, her home for the past ten years, behind her and return to America. Fate seems to be working against her, and a transportation delay leaves her stuck in Bologna for a day. There she meets Davide Magnani who entertains her by introducing her to the city. When the trains are moving again, Davide accompanies her to Milan, loath to say goodbye until he absolutely must. Even after her return to America the two keep in ...more
Tiffany
Ask me If I'm Happy ...A great book to read! Once I started I could not stop until I was finished reading it. First it made me want to learn Italian. The language is so beautiful and the way she described Italy...I felt as if I was literally there. Secondly, It was nice to see how love can sometimes come so easy in your life, but baggage from your past doesn't allow you to see whats right in front of you.I also enjoyed how these two people crossed paths as strangers but were already connected in ...more
Nell
A wonderful debut novel by a talented writer.A lovely literary read with a strong romantic core.
Heikki
Kimberly Menozzi is an American author who moved to Italy after falling in love. That to me is a crucial feature in the development of this book.

The story of what happens when Emily Miller's world crumbles in Italy and the subsequent love story with a new Italian man is told with such intimately, and innately, delicate way that it is an absolute treat to read. A chance meeting brings the protagonists together, but something more than chance has to be behind it - you cannot deem otherwise. This i
Christopher Allen
Emily Miller, the main character of Ask Me If I'm Happy, struggles constantly with the idea of home. While there are elements of this story that would appeal to readers of Romance, Ask Me If I'm Happy is literary fiction. It is a complex story of the growing relationship between Emily/Emilia and Davide with the ghost of Jacobo and a pending divorce looming over Emily.

Textually, the novel has interesting layers. Interior monologue lets the reader in to Emily and Davide's thoughts. The Italian lan
LindyLouMac
Ask Me If I’m Happy is a strong romantic novel strengthened by the setting and the use of the Italian language, which make this novel a perfect read, not only for fans of romantic novels but those who love all things Italian. The Italian presence is very evident and the author shares her flaws not just her beauty.

The two protagonists are Emily Miller and Davide Magnani they fall in love at first sight! I am not sure I believe in this actually being love when there is an instant chemistry between
Nikki Bywater
Emily Miller wants to say goodbye after living, for ten years in Italy. All she wants to do is to travel back home to the States and to leave her life and her marriage behind.

When Emily’s travel plans are delayed, she finds herself stuck for the day in a small Italian town called Bologna after a chance meeting with a kind stranger called Davide Magnani, he offers to act as tour guide and show Emily around the town that he lives in.

Emily and Davide soon connect and there is a strong chemistry be
Dave Newell
Ask me why I'm looking around nervously, and I might admit to you that I'm scared of being drawn into the romance genre. 'Ask Me if I'm Happy' drew me in with its title - because I wanted to know if they were.

I said earlier that I was scared of being drawn in by a romance. That's what this book will do, but it was the literary fiction aspect of the writing style that first drew me in. The characters are believable and are placed in realistic dilemmas.

What's more? Rosetta Stone may need to pay Ki
Lisa
Such a lovely story of finding love in the middle of heartbreak. It was a refreshing way for a story to unfold in the narrative of both protagonists.

I'm glad I stumbled upon this before our trip to Italy next month. It has caused the planning of a day trip to Bologna. I would love to take the tour Davide gave Emily. Please tell me I can find the best brioche I will ever have as well as a meal at Il Cuore della Grassa. Please tell me these places exist!

Cameron Chapman
This is an absolutely beautiful book, a seamless blending of romance and literary fiction. The characters are well-portrayed and easy to relate to. The settings come alive and this is where the author's first-hand experience really shines. My only caveat would be to keep your Italian dictionary close at hand! (Though the inclusion of some Italian words and phrases does lend a wonderful sense of realism to the overall story.) Highly recommended!
David Makinson
I thought this was an atmospheric and highly romantic novel set in one of my favourite countries in the world - Italy. I think Kimberley Menozzi has achieved a very realistic feel for the setting.
I suspect too that there is a bit of 'true life' romance to the tale, which enhanced my enjoyment of the book.
This was a book which I enjoyed and was glad to have had the opportunity to read.
Kt
I guess I would call this a genre of literary romance which I think is my Romance genre. The majority of romance novels are so boringly formulaic. This author gave you the feeling she was somehow in the story and it felt very true to life in the most beautiful of settings, Italy. I like all the relationships in the book, all seemed genuine.
Joselle
Davide Magnani, believes chivalry isn't dead yet. love when Emily and Davide reunite its sweet 'troubling connections'...
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Ericka Babione
Ericka Babione marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Barbara Rindge
Barbara Rindge marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Elizabeth Krahn
Elizabeth Krahn marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Rita
Rita marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Any questions? 1 3 Sep 08, 2011 09:07AM
An aspiring writer from the age of eight, Kimberly Menozzi began writing her first stories instead of paying attention in school. While her grades might have suffered, her imagination seldom did. She managed to keep most of her stories together for years, then lost them after a move when she left a trunk full of papers behind. (She meant to go back and get them, but circumstances prevented her fro ...more
More about Kimberly Menozzi...
Alternate Rialto 27 Stages (a novel)