Start by marking “Great Lives: David: A Man of Passion and Destiny” as Want to Read:
Great Lives: David: A Man of Passion and Destiny

Great Lives: David: A Man of Passion and Destiny (Great Lives From God's Word)

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  861 ratings  ·  66 reviews
Take an unforgettable journey through the life of the humble shepherd boy whom God transformed into a king! The first volume in Swindoll's new Great Lives from God's Word series, this powerful story will inspire you to live passionately for God. Swindoll will show you that great lives aren't exclusive to the Bible---God may be preparing you for one right now!
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published October 1st 2008 by christianaudio Seed (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Great Lives, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Great Lives

Jim
David is a man that all persons can relate to. He experience every temptation I know. At least the ones i have face. Even though God called him "A man after my own heart" David committed the most ghastly of sins. Swindoll presents a vivid picture of a man like us all; struggling to do what is right and struggling to hid sin. If you don't want to see your shortcomings, don't read this book. If you want to know human nature and the love of God, READ IT.
Rose Mary Griffith
With intermittent reading of the Old Testament, David was an enigma to me. After reading this book, I feel like I know and understand his character, actions and why he is often referred to with the line: David had a heart for God.

Mr Swindoll brings David alive to the reader like a great history professor I once had (James Morrison), bringing his flaws to the fore, not hiding them to make David larger than life. There were times I felt I could identify with his shortcomings and times I simply adm
smalls
This particular book was hard for me to get through. I actually stopped half way through. I think it is because I was comparing David's life to Joseph's life. I read Joseph right before this one. The two are so different. I got very confused with what God was allowing here with the two men. But if I would have continued to read, I would have seen the consequences of David's actions. Even though he was still concidered a man after God's own heart, he had consequences for his sins. It affected not ...more
John Hibbs
I started to diligently read this book but started skimming and quickly realized it wasn't worth my time. This is a watered down version of the real lessons to be learned from the life of David. We have the advantage of knowing how things turn out when we read the Bible and this colors our interpretations of the Old Testament stories, in particular. If you read this book, please do it in the light in which it was written--as a book for beginning Christians who have not given up the baby food. If ...more
James Kim
I love Chuck Swindoll's writing and sermons. This is another very good book. A wonderful way to get to know the person of David, the King of Israel.

The reason this book only gets 3 stars from me is because Swindoll doesn't deal with the final chapter of David's life when he instructs Solomon to get even with David's old enemies. I find that to be a sad chapter to David's life and was curious about how Swindoll would deal with that but Swindoll leaves it out. I would have appreciated his thought
Charles Jr.
This book gives us an in depth look at David's life. David was truly a man of Passion and Destiny. What better way to see Romans 8:28 in action than to look at the life of the man that the Bible declares as being after God's own heart. Swindoll's entire book series is great and very helping in providing spiritual insight encouragement through the life of biblical characters. I have read through it 3 times and each time I seem to glean more and more.
Steve
Mr. Swindoll does an excellent job of taking us through the life of David. He does not do it in a dry “David went here”, “David did this” way; instead he takes the time to teach us that David was more like us than we realize. Yes, David was a great Godly man but he was in the end just a man facing the same issues we face in our own lives. Mr. Swindoll uses David’s victories and failures to illustrate how we can apply the lessons we learn from David’s life to our own lives. The bottom line is tha ...more
Clara Roberts
I thought I knew everything about King David until I read this book. There were so many insights that I had never thought of. Swindoll shows that despite terrible, grievous sin committed by David; David still had "a teachable, humble spirit" when confronted with his sin. David brought on most of his problems by his personal behaviour. In discussing David's polygamy, Swindoll quote Alexander Whyte "Polygamy is just Greek for a dunghill." Truly that was true for David. Lo Dobar is mentioned many t ...more
Daniel
Excellent devotional book. Swindoll does excellent work balancing story telling with personal application. A great resource for those who are interested in doing the hard work of fine tuning their character and convictions. Swindoll clearly loves David, and writes with great affection as well as intellectually honest criticism of someone he clearly considers a personal hero.

One stand-out theme of the book is the value of doing the best at what you are given in "a time such as this". David wore
Chad Williams
I love this series by Chuck Swindoll. I started this book as part of a men's group I was a part of but we never got through it. Looking for my next devotional I worked through the second half myself.

David's life is so full of everything we struggle with. The good and the bad. I personally found Swindoll's 'lessons learned' at the end of each chapter so relevant to my life. After reading this book it is clear to me why God put the story of David in the Bible. We have so much to learn from David'
Katie
Loved it. I read this one chapter per day as my Bible study. I loved focusing on one person and working my way through a book of the Bible at the same time.
Scott Wozniak
This isn't really a biography. It does follow the life of David, but each event is used as a jumping off point to delivering a mini-sermon. The jealousy of Saul leads to a sermon on the dangers of comparing yourself to others. And the fact that David wrote many of the Psalms prompts a challenge to use the Psalms more in your personal devotions.

These many sidebars distracted from the story, to the point that we had to catch back up time and again. And then details of his life were glossed over/s
Tiffany  Ashcraft
i thought it was a great book and it taught me a few things about friendship!
Justin carpita
swindoll brings bible charecters to life like noone else.
Trooper1048
A very good christian book to read.
Raven
I do not understand how I have not found Charles R. Swindoll before now.

His teachings are accurate and based completely on the Bible. Swindoll is one of the most humble and most intelligent pastors I have read.

I enjoyed this book so much that I just bought two more books from this series; one on Elijah and one on Paul.

Though obviously steeped in Christianity, these books are not in-your-face preachy nor are they rude or mean. They are intelligent, thought provoking and excellently written.

Go
Jeff
I highly recommend these biographies by Charles Swindoll. The first one I read was on Paul. Excellent. This one was just as good.

Some take-aways:

* You'll never regret forgiving someone who doesn't deserve it.
* Pray this prayer: "The battle is Yours, Lord. It is Your battle. I lean on You. I give You my skills and abilities, and I stand before You, trusting You." Never forget: The battle is the Lord's.
* A true test of humility is when you pray for God to use others: "Magnify Your name through
Author Vicky Jeter
Amazing story. Love how Charles Swindoll pulls all the pieces together.
Kathy Murphy
Excellent reading material. Narrator is wonderful and easy to follow
Gary
I love the series.
Perelandra
This is the first book on David that I have read in "biography" form and the first in a series of biblical biographies by Charles Swindoll. What a treat! I have read the Biblical accounts but this really brought his whole life into focus as well as offered many points of application to life. I was very moved at several points and found this to be a worthwhile and uplifting study. I also found it to be good source material for reflection.
Jody
This is such a fantastically educational book and yet it seems like I'm just hanging out with someone while they tell me the story of King David. Like a grandpa might tell a child a bedtime story. I'm loving it!

What a great character study of one of the worlds greatest kings...and truth be told he was a very faulted man. I learned a lot about myself through watching him lead, follow God and fall on his face.

Darrell
This book is absolutely brilliant. Swindoll provides us with a probing look into the life of King David, the fearless young man who spent most of his young adult life trying NOT to kill the king and spent his fading years trying to help his own family. But as we meet troubled times in our lives, we can look at his songs and begin to understand who this man was. Thanks to Charles Swindoll for being our guide.
Ivor
Chuck Swindoll is definitely a favourite of mine. Here he explains what was happening historically during David's life, making so many things much more understandable. David was a sinful man yet he was described by God as a man after His own heart. This book really makes you aware of your own sinfulness but also reminds you that God uses ordinary people. A really good read!
Josh
What I liked most about this book is that Charles Swindoll takes David, a pretty abstract character in the Bible and writes about him in such a way that you feel like you're getting to know an actual person. He doesn't just talk about the good things in his life; he talks about all of his mistakes. He makes David a real, identifiable person.
Christina
This book was so awesome. It goes through the whole life of King David. Chuck Swindoll just has a way with telling the story. I learned so much and this book really gave me an easy basis to remember and build on when learning about David's life from other sources or just when I'm reading any part of the bible about or from him.
Matias
Exelente! Pocos libros tienen esta mezcla tan profunda, pero a la vez tan práctica. La pluma de Swindoll es sencillamente maravillosa; realmente logra que uno se lance a la aventura del estudio biográfico junto con él, escarbando, gozando, llorando y sufriendo con el mismo David. Sin duda, un libro muy recomendado.
Kathaileen
David was an extraordinary man, with his intelligence, good looks, literary and musical talents, as a warrior, and as king. He was also an ordinary man dealing with destructive passion and family tragedy. Through all of his life he was a "man after God's own heart". Devotion doesn't mean perfection.
Silverka2
This is now one of my favorite books. I chose this book because David is one of my favorite people in the bible. Chuck Swindoll wrote this book wonderfully. In every chapter he ties David's life with present day life. It was a fascinating book and I learned a lot from it.
Jeremie
I thought it was rather good. Especially the part with the removal of the crutches, when David has to go run away and leave everything behind. Of course, there was a lot of déja-vu in this book, but Chuck presents David in a new manner, a more personal manner. I liked it.
  • The Pursuit of Man: The Divine Conquest of the Human Heart
  • Every Thought Captive: Battling the Toxic Belifs That Separate Us from the Life We Crave
  • 50 People Every Christian Should Know: Learning from Spiritual Giants of the Faith
  • The Jesus You Can't Ignore: What You Must Learn from the Bold Confrontations of Christ
  • If God Is Good: Faith in the Midst of Suffering and Evil
  • The Body
  • Experiencing God: How to Live the Full Adventure of Knowing and Doing the Will of God
  • Reaching for the Invisible God: What Can We Expect to Find?
  • The Baron's Apprenticeship
  • The Art of Forgiving
  • Weigh Down Diet
  • The Holy Spirit: Activating God's Power in Your Life
  • Genesis
  • No Wonder They Call Him the Savior: Experiencing the Truth of the Cross
  • The Epistles of Paul to the Colossians and Philemon (Tyndale New Testament Commentaries)
  • Paul's Letter to the Philippians
  • Dangerous Duty of Delight: The Glorified God and the Satisfied Soul (LifeChange Books)
  • Sacred Pathways
Charles Swindoll has devoted over four decades to two passions: an unwavering commitment to the practical communication and application of God's Word, and an untiring devotion to seeing lives transformed by God's grace. Chuck graduated magna cum laude from Dallas Theological Seminary and has since been honored with four doctorates. For his teaching on Insight for Living, he has received the Progra ...more
More about Charles R. Swindoll...

Great Lives From God's Word (9 books)
  • Esther: A Woman of Strength & Dignity (Great Lives From God's Word Volume 2)
  • Joseph: A Man of Integrity and Forgiveness (Great Lives from God's Word, #3)
  • Moses: A Man of Selfless Dedication (Great Lives From God's Word 4)
  • Elijah: A Man of Heroism and Humility (Great Lives from God's Word, #5)
  • Paul: A Man of Grace and Grit (Great Lives from God's Word, #6)
  • Job: A Man of Heroic Endurance (Great Lives from God's Word Series, Volume 7)
  • Facinating Stories of Forgotten Lives: Rediscovering some Old Testament Characters (Great Lives From God's Word Volume 8)
  • Jesus: The Greatest Life of All
The Grace Awakening: Believing in Grace Is One Thing. Living It Is Another. Improving Your Serve: The Art of Unselfish Living Esther: A Woman of Strength & Dignity (Great Lives From God's Word Volume 2) Paul: A Man of Grace and Grit (Great Lives from God's Word, #6) Joseph: A Man of Integrity and Forgiveness (Great Lives from God's Word, #3)