Start by marking “Finding Faith---A Search for What Makes Sense” as Want to Read:
Finding Faith---A Search for What Makes Sense

Finding Faith---A Search for What Makes Sense

Finding faith is not a leap in the dark that requires you to forsake truth and intellectual honesty. In two companion volumes, Brian McLaren affirms the needs of both your mind and your heart as he helps you to find a faith that is real, honest, good, enriching, transforming, and yours.
ebook
Published July 13th 2009 by Zondervan (first published February 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Finding Faith---A Search for What Makes Sense, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Finding Faith---A Search for What Makes Sense

Ahmed Alkhateeb
Brian McLaren’s attempt to reconcile postmodern intellectualism with faith is admirable; however I felt that his approach was too simple. He danced around the big questions without addressing them. Maybe that was his goal all along … trying to separate his own religious/spiritual conviction from those of the reader … who knows!
It was just off putting for someone who was looking for a challenging read.
Also, due to the very personal and sometimes conversational writing style, some parts of the b
Angela Blount
Jul 22, 2011 Angela Blount rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faith
This is not the kind of book I would recommend as a front-to-back sort of read. From the very beginning, the author invites you to skim through and focus on chapters that catch your interest or most apply to your particular situation. That worked just fine for me, as all of the chapters do stand on their own.

The closest thing I could compare this book to would be Blue Like Jazz. By comparison, it has the advantage of the author being quite brilliant and methodical in explanations to pressing qu
Dannielle Shaw
The best chapter in this book is the chapter in which the author presents a category system for different kinds of faith--from the insecure and inflexible to an opening, questioning, more evolved version of faith. I think that chapter could have interesting applications even to non-theistic traditions. The rest of the book teetered on a very thin line between a guide to finding what makes sense and a treatise for why monotheism makes sense. To his credit, the author admitted his bias in the very ...more
Thabu Pienaar
Interesting book to open your mind

I liked this book of Brian McClaren for the fact that it open one 's mind on your own journey with God. The things which struck me was:
Stages of faith which I see in mynown life and in manynpeople I encounter.
The rejection of a view of 'we know and have the final answer on religion (and/or God). We don't. God is bigger than our thoughts or 'knowldge'.
The definition of 'good faith' vs 'bad faith'. Many 'good Christians' are actually living out 'bad faith'.

Off to
Eric
Feb 04, 2011 Eric rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
McLaren is one of only a few authors that give me hope for faith. What is refreshing about his approach is his willigness to allow his readers to approach God at their own pace and without a narrow set of parameters that must be followed. Each faith journey is as unique as the individuals God started set upon the journey in the first place. My faith is far from settled, but thats OK. The truth is, no one's is, and that would be boring anyway.
Danny Bennett
Aug 10, 2011 Danny Bennett rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian-living
As the years go on and I re-read McLaren's books, my opinion of him lowers. Most of his books seem to have this underlining fear of offending non-Christians. This book says some things about faith that are true, but don't really hit the essence of faith. Nor does he make the important distinction between saving faith and sanctifying faith. McLaren's circles in his chapter on religious pluralism are dangerous to Christian orthodoxy.
Heather
The first half of the book is somewhat entertaining. I particularly enjoyed the philosophical chapter on epistemology. However, the second half of the book lost my interest mainly because it didn't address any worldviews that I particularly relate to. That being said, the book is a good conversation starter and quite possibly a radical read for someone who hasn't done any serious faith questioning. It's worth a look.
Phillip Vincent
May 13, 2015 Phillip Vincent rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
This book, to me, has a lot to offer just about anybody. What I found most moving was the author's humility and sensitivity toward others' experiences with bad faith. He is noncommittal and will drive some people crazy. The intended audience however will most likely find it a relief since it leaves room for questioning. I never felt patronized. Read books like this one when you're ready for them, when you have time.
Andrew
Oct 28, 2013 Andrew rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I normally like the openness and sincerity of McLaren's work, but in this one he appeals to Pascal's Wager, and numerous logical fallacies, which really spoiled it for me. He does make a few good points, but the use of Argumentum ad Populum (in particular) really undermined what he was trying to say.
Molly
Feb 23, 2008 Molly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who wanted to explore Christianity
Recommended to Molly by: Picked it up at the bookstore
It was a good book. A bit much like a the Strobel "a Case for..." books. A little to intellictual for me at this point in my life/ year.

I need some LIGHT reading!
Julia
Julia rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2009
Rusty Graves
Rusty Graves rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2015
Meghan
Meghan rated it liked it
Mar 20, 2014
Sigmabreaker
Sigmabreaker rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2009
Krista
Krista rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2011
Blonderecovery
Blonderecovery rated it did not like it
Mar 24, 2015
Brian
Brian rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2013
Zach
Zach rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2012
Dan
Dan rated it really liked it
May 17, 2016
Michael Tucker
Michael Tucker rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2013
Chilly
Chilly rated it liked it
May 24, 2007
Appu Aks
Appu Aks rated it it was ok
Jun 15, 2013
Ali
Ali rated it it was amazing
Oct 26, 2011
Alyse
Alyse rated it it was amazing
Oct 20, 2011
Omar Domenech
Omar Domenech rated it really liked it
May 29, 2013
Ron Walborn
Ron Walborn rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2008
Daniel Rustad
Daniel Rustad rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2012
Megin
Megin rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2008
Jack
Jack rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2008
Jeremy
Jeremy rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Listening for the Heartbeat of God: A Celtic Spirtuality
  • Faith Shift: Finding Your Way Forward When Everything You Believe Is Coming Apart
  • A Christian Survival Guide: A Lifeline to Faith and Growth
  • Disquiet Time: Rants and Reflections on the Good Book by the Skeptical, the Faithful, and a Few Scoundrels
  • The Wisdom Way of Knowing: Reclaiming an Ancient Tradition to Awaken the Heart
  • How Then, Shall We Live?: Four Simple Questions That Reveal the Beauty and Meaning of Our Lives
  • The Rule of Benedict: Insights for the Ages
  • Life of St. Francis of Assisi
  • The Hidden Power of Electronic Culture: How Media Shapes Faith, the Gospel, and Church
  • The Book of Common Prayer
  • Reluctant Pilgrim: A Moody, Somewhat Self-Indulgent Introvert's Search for Spiritual Community
  • Seeing Gray in a World of Black and White: Thoughts on Religion, Morality, and Politics
  • Seeking God: The Way of St. Benedict
  • Letters To A Future Church
  • New Testament Background: Selected Documents: Revised and Expanded Edition
  • Then Sings My Soul: 150 of the World's Greatest Hymn Stories
  • He Shall Have Dominion: A Postmillennial Eschatology
  • Ethiopian Tattoo Shop
Brian D. McLaren is an internationally known speaker and the author of over ten highly acclaimed books on contemporary Christianity, including A New Kind of Christian, A Generous Orthodoxy, and The Secret Message of Jesus.
More about Brian D. McLaren...

“That is what mature faith requires — not pride over how much one sees and understands, but humility, the feeling that one is still a child, certain of so little, still so dependent on God and others, with so much still to learn — including so much more to learn about humility.” 1 likes
“Who do we think we are — we small creatures with three-pound brains, a few limited senses, and life spans barely long enough to get to know our neighborhood, much less the planet, and much less the galaxy, and much less the universe, and much less still its creator! Who do we think we are to be able to define or even describe the creator of DNA, galaxies, dust mites, blue whales, the carbon cycle, light, and a billion other realities we have no notion about whatsoever, no awareness of at all?” 1 likes