Start by marking “Finding Faith---A Search for What Makes Sense” as Want to Read:
Finding Faith---A Search for What Makes Sense

Finding Faith---A Search for What Makes Sense

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  105 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Finding faith is not a leap in the dark that requires you to forsake truth and intellectual honesty. In two companion volumes, Brian McLaren affirms the needs of both your mind and your heart as he helps you to find a faith that is real, honest, good, enriching, transforming, and yours.
ebook
Published July 13th 2009 by Zondervan (first published February 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Finding Faith---A Search for What Makes Sense, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Finding Faith---A Search for What Makes Sense

Dannielle Shaw
The best chapter in this book is the chapter in which the author presents a category system for different kinds of faith--from the insecure and inflexible to an opening, questioning, more evolved version of faith. I think that chapter could have interesting applications even to non-theistic traditions. The rest of the book teetered on a very thin line between a guide to finding what makes sense and a treatise for why monotheism makes sense. To his credit, the author admitted his bias in the very ...more
Steven
Apr 28, 2015 Steven rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
Recommended to Steven by: Dianna Lynn Pape

An utter waste of time. My grandma recommended and sent me this book while I was still in the Navy. I read it all. It was painstaking. The author's ability to use good common sense and logical reasoning (in other words, "What Makes Sense") in this book uncanningly terrible. Taking a Logic 101 class before reading this book would help anyone to realize just how useless this book is.

Taking this book to be legitimate would be intellectually dishonest.

I do not own this book, anymore - I received it
Ahmed Alkhateeb
Brian McLaren’s attempt to reconcile postmodern intellectualism with faith is admirable; however I felt that his approach was too simple. He danced around the big questions without addressing them. Maybe that was his goal all along … trying to separate his own religious/spiritual conviction from those of the reader … who knows!
It was just off putting for someone who was looking for a challenging read.
Also, due to the very personal and sometimes conversational writing style, some parts of the b
Angela Blount
This is not the kind of book I would recommend as a front-to-back sort of read. From the very beginning, the author invites you to skim through and focus on chapters that catch your interest or most apply to your particular situation. That worked just fine for me, as all of the chapters do stand on their own.

The closest thing I could compare this book to would be Blue Like Jazz. By comparison, it has the advantage of the author being quite brilliant and methodical in explanations to pressing qu
Phillip Vincent
This book, to me, has a lot to offer just about anybody. What I found most moving was the author's humility and sensitivity toward others' experiences with bad faith. He is noncommittal and will drive some people crazy. The intended audience however will most likely find it a relief since it leaves room for questioning. I never felt patronized. Read books like this one when you're ready for them, when you have time.
Eric
McLaren is one of only a few authors that give me hope for faith. What is refreshing about his approach is his willigness to allow his readers to approach God at their own pace and without a narrow set of parameters that must be followed. Each faith journey is as unique as the individuals God started set upon the journey in the first place. My faith is far from settled, but thats OK. The truth is, no one's is, and that would be boring anyway.
Danny Bennett
As the years go on and I re-read McLaren's books, my opinion of him lowers. Most of his books seem to have this underlining fear of offending non-Christians. This book says some things about faith that are true, but don't really hit the essence of faith. Nor does he make the important distinction between saving faith and sanctifying faith. McLaren's circles in his chapter on religious pluralism are dangerous to Christian orthodoxy.
Heather
The first half of the book is somewhat entertaining. I particularly enjoyed the philosophical chapter on epistemology. However, the second half of the book lost my interest mainly because it didn't address any worldviews that I particularly relate to. That being said, the book is a good conversation starter and quite possibly a radical read for someone who hasn't done any serious faith questioning. It's worth a look.
Andrew
I normally like the openness and sincerity of McLaren's work, but in this one he appeals to Pascal's Wager, and numerous logical fallacies, which really spoiled it for me. He does make a few good points, but the use of Argumentum ad Populum (in particular) really undermined what he was trying to say.
Molly
May 28, 2008 Molly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who wanted to explore Christianity
Recommended to Molly by: Picked it up at the bookstore
It was a good book. A bit much like a the Strobel "a Case for..." books. A little to intellictual for me at this point in my life/ year.

I need some LIGHT reading!
Kathi
HAD A HARD TIME KEEPING MY INTEREST. INFO REGARDING BOOK WAS MISLEADING.
Brian
add this one to REASON FOR GOD and LANGUAGE OF GOD pile.
Ed
Great book, quick but not easy read.
Janice
Janice marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
M
M marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Krista
Krista marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Chander Malhotra
Chander Malhotra marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
John
John marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
Maria Rubatino
Maria Rubatino marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Disquiet Time: Rants and Reflections on the Good Book by the Skeptical, the Faithful, and a Few Scoundrels
  • Listening for the Heartbeat of God: A Celtic Spirtuality
  • The Hidden Power of Electronic Culture: How Media Shapes Faith, the Gospel, and Church
  • How Then, Shall We Live?: Four Simple Questions That Reveal the Beauty and Meaning of Our Lives
  • The Rule of Benedict: Insights for the Ages
  • Then Sings My Soul: 150 of the World's Greatest Hymn Stories
  • Small Graces: The Quiet Gifts of Everyday Life
  • The Essential Mystics: Selections from the World's Great Wisdom Traditions
  • The Meaning of Jesus
  • The Mindset Lists of American History: From Typewriters to Text Messages, What Ten Generations of Americans Think Is Normal
  • Inner Christianity: A Guide to the Esoteric Tradition
  • Faith and Doubt
  • Following Jesus: Biblical Reflections on Discipleship
  • The Teaching of the Twelve: Believing & Practicing the Primitive Christianity of the Ancient Didache Community
  • Voice of Matthew
  • A New Christianity for a New World: Why Traditional Faith is Dying & How a New Faith is Being Born
  • Final Words: From the Cross
  • Paul's Idea of Community: The Early House Churches in Their Cultural Setting
Brian D. McLaren is an internationally known speaker and the author of over ten highly acclaimed books on contemporary Christianity, including A New Kind of Christian, A Generous Orthodoxy, and The Secret Message of Jesus.
More about Brian D. McLaren...
A Generous Orthodoxy: Why I Am a Missional, Evangelical, Post/Protestant, Liberal/Conservative, Mystical/Poetic, Biblical, Charismatic/Contemplative, Fundamentalist/Calvinist, Anabaptist/Anglican, Metho A New Kind of Christian: A Tale of Two Friends on a Spiritual Journey A New Kind of Christianity: Ten Questions That Are Transforming the Faith The Secret Message of Jesus: Uncovering the Truth That Could Change Everything Everything Must Change