Start by marking “Animal Speak: The Spiritual & Magical Powers of Creatures Great & Small” as Want to Read:
Animal Speak: The Spiritual & Magical Powers of Creatures Great & Small

Animal Speak: The Spiritual & Magical Powers of Creatures Great & Small

4.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  7,902 Ratings  ·  179 Reviews

Open your heart and mind to the wisdom of the animal world.

Animal Speak provides techniques for recognizing and interpreting the signs and omens of nature. Meet and work with animals as totems and spirit guides by learning the language of their behaviors within the physical world.

Animal Speak shows you how to: identify, meet, and attune to your spirit animals; discover t

Published September 1st 2010 by Llewellyn Publications (first published September 1st 1996)

Fusun Dulger charles
Every time I dream or see an animal on my travels I go back to this book to understand its symbolism and what it should mean to me.
It is like a dictionary of animal totems and symbolism, everyone should have a copy if he/she are on the Shamanistic road.
Chaz
Sep 11, 2008 Chaz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The introduction and first couple chapters give a thorough explanation of "power animals" and how to work with the symbols/archetypes in our lives. Ted Andrews obviously has a profound knowledge of the esoteric and presents the spiritual or magical powers of animals in an easy-to-read format.
Personally, I was given this book from a Native American shaman for reference. I was looking for more information on how to utilize my ' power/token animal' in my everyday life when it is/was separated from
Xotzin
Dec 23, 2008 Xotzin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was taught that if you want to know what the animals have to say then pack up your things and go live WITH them and listen!
Ryver Maren
Feb 18, 2011 Ryver Maren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: occult
I read this book once years ago when I first began exploring my spirituality and again recently, along with its companion book, The Animal Speak Workbook. This is a good book for anyone wishing to connect with nature, on just about any level. Along with the information about animals, this includes all kinds of signs from the natural world. For those interested in animal archetypes, Andrews not only tells you about the characteristics of the different animals, he also teaches you to interpret beh ...more
Sara
Jan 03, 2009 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is THE essential book for anyone working with animal spirit guides. Andrews covers just about every animal, bird and insect one could think of. He provides clear and lucid explanations of the characteristics of each animal guide and what one might gain by working with each animal. I plan to keep it as a reference, and I've already referred to it often. It's especially useful when I repeatedly encounter a specific animal in my daily travels, such as the hawk who took up residence in my back ...more
Melanie The Medium
If you're into animal symbolism and animal totems/guides, you'll love this book. It's more of a reference book, rather than one you sit to read all the way through. When I see an animal during a reading, meditation, or dream, I always look up the meaning in this book. I find that the meanings correspond with my own feelings about why the animal showed up in my life and give me additional insight.
Melanie Alderson
This is a great reference book. Well organized and easy to use. I recommend it in book form rather than ebook as it is much easier to search for the information one is interested in.
Douglas Molchan
Aug 29, 2008 Douglas Molchan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any who need appriciates our mother earth
Shelves:
This book has a lot to offer for anyone with an open mind and appreciation for our mother earth. If you litter stop littering now! Reading this book isn't for you unless you think you can learn something from out earth and nature in it by meditation, symbolism, and totems of animals of all kinds. By experiencing all of these at once you learn a lot by identity and getting in tune with ones true self. I have had some wild experience in my life and every time I reference this book it tends to be r ...more
Susan
Animal Speak by Ted Andrews is a guide to the wisdom that can be attained by taking a closer look at the animal kingdom. In it, Andrews provides techniques for recognizing and interpreting the signs and omens of the natural world. With insights into the myths/lore and history surrounding animals, Animal Speak helps you to discover the power and spiritual significance of more than 100 different mammals, birds, insects, and reptiles.

For anyone interested in Native American culture, shamanism, conn
Marina Quattrocchi
This is the best book written to understand the symbolic significance of animals in our lives. I've been using it for years to gain deeper insight into my own dreams, and often recommend it to students and clients when I'm teaching dream workshops. When an animal turns up in your physical life, especially if you see it repeatedly, it may have important messages for you. Andrews describes the habitats, unique characteristics, and skills of each animal, including birds, mammals and reptiles, then ...more
Ron Campbell
Apr 02, 2012 Ron Campbell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference, shamanism
Ted Andrews is a well known author and speaker of North American Spiritual Tradition. Animal-Speak along with Animal-Wise work together to catalog the wisdom of the Animal Kingdom. We all have what is called Animal-Totems that assists us in our Life. These two volumes can help us to understand and to be able to work with our Totem. It is the best source I have found that catalogs so many different animals. The two volumes works together - Animal-Speak has a general topic such as 'Spiders'; where ...more
Misha
Animal Speak is akin to attending a 101 class, more so if one is already familiar with its subject matter. It's easy reading and the language is simplistic, but Llewyllen publishing tends to be more interested in quantity not quality. Regardless, I’m content to have it on the shelf as a reference.

Ted Andrews provides some interesting general information about animals native to North America, their mythology and folklore, and their symbolism. There are also exercises for meditation, working with
Polo
Jun 13, 2015 Polo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a dear companion for many years.
RH Walters
May 12, 2013 RH Walters rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love animals, and Andrews’ book evokes the time when humans didn’t consider themselves separate from other animals, and understood each others’ “speech.” I enjoyed reading the mythology and biology of different creatures, and what their habits and presence can teach us. Even if you don’t want to follow the rituals or meditations described in the book, it’s a great introduction to shamanism and a philosophy of connection with the natural world.
Amy Elizabeth
Dec 16, 2015 Amy Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I need to buy this to come back to it again and again. Excellent.
Samantha Davidson (Mirror Bridge Books)
This is a great book for people just beginning to walk their 'earth walk' and become more in touch with Mother Nature and Native American spirituality. It discusses the language of nature, how to read omens, and the symbolism behind the significant presence that animals make in day to day life and what the personalized message is for you to learn from it. Great book!
Mony Dojeiji
Apr 17, 2012 Mony Dojeiji rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My go-to reference book any time I see something in nature that makes me pause. Very detailed and throrough. There is usually something in the description that helps me clarify a situation, or get a specific answer I am looking for.
Kharm
May 16, 2011 Kharm marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: want
So far, I'm loving this book. It's been years since something has resonated so strongly with me.

One of these days I'll get back to this book. I'd still like it as a reference book, though.
Stephanie
Jun 11, 2014 Stephanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have referred to this book many years as I have observed and watched animals from my home, public parks, conservation lands and city areas….The author focuses on the spiritual aspect of animals and the teaching and messages they give to humans based upon their behaviors and how and when they show up in your life….Those who are fascinated by watching wildlife and wish to understand their behaviors from a spiritual perspective, with the author often integrating native American spirituality ,will ...more
Sergio J
Aug 26, 2012 Sergio J rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
I'll speak to you if you speak to me.
Thesaria
Aug 22, 2014 Thesaria rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pagan
(This is a personal reaction rather than a review for potential readers)
It was interesting to read this at last. As a new teen pagan I had no way of getting my hands on it but it seemed to be the one title that always came up with recommendations in online discussions and the book I most hankered after.

When I read it several years later it didn't make a huge impact on me personally, but it might have done if I'd read it back then. I can see why it was so often recommended for beginners. It gives
Nancy Svinicki
Jan 10, 2014 Nancy Svinicki rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I have some major problems with this book. Ted Andrews is considered among many budding totemists to be the go-to guy for finding meanings of totems, which is a fact that I find worrisome.

Re-reading this book later in my spiritual life, I'm disappointed by the holes he leaves in his analysis, the animals and species missing, and the limited information he provides. (Example, butterflies are included, but not moths. There's no separate discussion for stag and deer). The mammalian section of this
Barbara Cadwell
Feb 02, 2013 Barbara Cadwell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A superb expose’ on symbolism intrinsic to the wonders of nature, ‘Animal-Speak’ by author Ted Andrews sources flowers, plants, trees and, most naturally, all creatures great & small. And so it happened that the co-owner of a thriving quartz mine invited me to attend a weekly gathering called The Circle of Light.
Once assembled, the facilitator said she was going to do something different. “Tonight,” she smiled, “we’re going to find our Spirit Animal.”
Great! I thought. I don’t know anything a
Barb
Animal wisdom teaches us to be observant. When an animal crosses our path, be aware of the lessons from the specific animal totem. Learn language of birds, insects, reptiles, and animals. Distinquish between predator and prey. Myth and fact are combined to apply the animal totem language as a guide to perceive signs in nature. Totems are manifestations of our inner world to teach us awareness of the divine.
Kenny
Jul 21, 2014 Kenny rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'll admit that I didn't read this all the way. But I got through the first half and all the introduction where the author lays the foundation of what he's explaining. I didn't like it and regret having bought the book. For me there's two types of books out there that are like this: books about what I'm looking for and books that try to use superstition as a science and a method of self improvement.

I was hoping for information on how the Native American religions' viewed different animals as spi
Aaron Carlisle
Feb 04, 2016 Aaron Carlisle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ted Andrews is one of the greatest modern day spiritual authors since he never imposes his own views on the reader. In fact, one is always allowed to develop their own view or mindset when introduced to his experiences and meditative techniques. Kudos Mr. Andrews, many blessings. If nature beckons for one to embrace it wholeheartedly, it would behoove them to look into this man's work.
Conure Hermary
Jan 18, 2016 Conure Hermary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my all time favorite books. An exhaustive collection of animal totems, from insects to birds, all written in an easy to follow and easy to do format. While the book is lacking in mythical totems, it more than makes up in rituals one can do to contact one's totem(s) in a way that is friendly towards nature.
Linda
Mar 12, 2015 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Apparently the squirrels around my house are active in the backyard because I have a lot going on behind the scenes, instead of the fact that the backyard has lots of lovely trees and acorns while the front is grass.

The parts on symbolism are interesting, but really, not everything has deep meaning.
Audrey Jenkins
Feb 25, 2016 Audrey Jenkins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ted Andrews passed away just a few years ago and is still missed by many. He was a great teacher on animal behaviors and totem practice, "a friend to the wild." His book encompasses his lifetime study and knowledge.
Fishface
Jan 28, 2016 Fishface rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals, reference
A good start, but needs to be expanded upon considerably. The author focuses almost entirely on bird symbolism and mostly neglects the staggering variety of other life on earth that people relate to in symbolic ways.
  • Animal Magick the Art of Recognizing and Working with Familiars
  • Animal Spirit Guides: An Easy-to-Use Handbook for Identifying and Understanding Your Power Animals and Animal Spirit Helpers
  • Love is in the Earth: A Kaleidoscope of Crystals - The Reference Book Describing the Metaphysical Properties of the Mineral Kingdom
  • The Way of the Shaman
  • Magick of Reiki: Focused Energy for Healing, Ritual, & Spiritual Development
  • The Druid Animal Oracle
  • Shamanism As a Spiritual Practice for Daily Life
  • Fire in the Head: Shamanism and the Celtic Spirit
  • Shaman, Healer, Sage: How to Heal Yourself and Others with the Energy Medicine of the Americas
  • Bonewits's Essential Guide to Druidism
  • Circle Round: Raising Children in Goddess Traditions
  • Candlemas: Feast of Flames
Ted Andrews was an internationally recognized author, storyteller, teacher, and mystic. A leader in the human potential, metaphysical, and psychic fields, he wrote over 36 books which have been translated into more than two dozen foreign languages. He was featured on many national and local TV and radio programs every year. He won more Visionary Awards than any other author.

Ted was a worldwide acc
More about Ted Andrews...

“The true shaman, the true naturalist, works to reconnect conscious human life with Nature and Spirit through totems and ritual.” 6 likes
“If you talk to the animals they will talk with you and you will know each other. If you do not talk to them, you will not know them, And what you do not know you will fear. What one fears one destroys. — Chief Dan George” 5 likes