Start by marking “Eddie: The Lost Youth of Edgar Allan Poe” as Want to Read:
Eddie: The Lost Youth of Edgar Allan Poe

Eddie: The Lost Youth of Edgar Allan Poe

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  262 ratings  ·  63 reviews
When young Eddie is falsely accused of destroying the Judge’s chicken coop, his adopted parents give him two days to find the true culprit. Guided by logic, but entranced by the poetry of the paranormal, Eddie seeks to solve the mystery, along the way meeting Captain Mephisto, a darkly unusual magician. With help from his Raven and the prodding of a mischievous i ...more
Published August 23rd 2011 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published September 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Eddie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eddie

Shellie (Layers of Thought)
3.5 stars actually
Original review with links and more posted at Layers of Thought.

An adorable mystery for middle grade readers – especially boys! It has incredible black and white line drawn illustrations. It can be seen as a book for literary minded and reluctant readers and as an introduction to this fine American author.

About: Eddie is the nick name for Edgar Allen Poe and the story is based upon the author’s humble beginnings, as we find out more about how he was born, raised, and lived.

Youn
Daniel
Title: Favorite Nursery Rhymes from Mother Goose
Author: Scott Gustafson
Publisher: Greenwich Workshop Press, 100 pp, 2007
Format: Picture Book (Mother Goose)
Intended Audience: Children, ages 4 to 8
Description:
Enjoy a collection of 45 of your favorite nursery rhymes from Mother Goose. From Humpty Dumpty to Three Blind Mice, all of your favorites are brought to life with vivid illustrations by Scott Gustafson.
Personal Review:
I have to be honest that I’m only familiar with about half of the nursery
colleen the contrarian  ± (... never stop fighting) ±
I stumbled across this book recently, and I don't even really remember how it happened. But I have a bit of a thing for all things Poe, and I thought it might be cute/interesting, so I grabbed it from the library.

Of course, I also thought it could be absolutely terrible, and was, honestly, a bit trepidatious when I started reading it, and I was still a bit leery as the first chapter introduces us to the man Poe and why we should care about him, and even a bit into the first chapter...

But, after
Ms. Yingling
Young Edgar Poe is sent to live with a foster family after the desertion of his alcoholic father and the death of his actress mother. They are kind enough, but Edgar spends most of his time in an attic filled with antique relics, talking to McCobber, the imp that his father left him. When a neighbor's cat and rooster are put in a bad and tied to the top of a building, Edgar is blamed. He asks for a day to clear himself, and begins his investigation. This brings him in contact with The Amazing Me ...more
Jodysegal
May 13, 2008 Jodysegal rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: toddler-1st grade
Scott Gustafson's detailed illustrations bring something new to the simple verse of Mother Goose. Some illustrations will delight young children with their humor: his Jack and Jill tumbling down the hill are a pair of well-dressed pigs, while his King of Hearts is very comically unhappy when that naughty Knave steals his tarts. Other illustrations are reminiscent of the aesthetic sensibilities of Arthur Rackham ( a delicately detailed and more realistic Under a Hill) and N. C. Wyeth or Audrey Wo ...more
Jenna Martenson
From nonsense to lessons learned, these 45 rhymes include the very well known (Itsy Bitsy Spider) and the somewhat familiar (Hickety, Pickety, My Black Hen). The pictures in this book are fantastic.

Nursery rhymes are a great way to engage students and to have them participate while reading. This book is great for the younger ages because they get to sing along and have some fun with this book. I remember as a young child learning all of the different nursery rhymes and it was a lot of fun to be
Barbara
Filled with detailed and sometimes quite eerie graphite pencil and liquid pencil illustrations, this chapter book imagines a brief episode in the life of Edgar Allan Poe. When he sleepwalks and finds himself in the yard of a neighbor who happens to be a judge, he has no idea how he got there or why the man's prize rooster and Eddie's cat are in a pillow case hanging from a weather vane. Eddie is certain that he is innocent, and he begs for time to prove that innocence. With his trusty companions ...more
Scottsdale Public Library
I work in the youth department of my library, and Mother Goose Nursery Rhymes are a staple of our storytimes with toddlers and preschoolers. The library carries more than a few collections of Mother Goose rhymes, illustrated by a good many artists, but to my mind, this one stands out because of Scott Gustafson's magnificent illustrations. Not only are they colorful and wonderfully well crafted, but they are also imaginative and fun. For instance, in the picture for "Simple Simon," the pieman is ...more
Sharon Lawler
This is a mashup between biography, historical fiction and mystery Edgar Allan Poe and his two siblings were orphaned as very young children with all three being separated and raised by different families. Edgar spent the rest of his youth with the Allans of Richmond and during the brief timeframe of this story the rift between Edgar and Mr. Allan is depicted. There are elements in the story that foreshadow Poe's future writing, the raven being one, and the little monster being another. Well ill ...more
Anne
CIP:none
Summary: A collection of 45 Mother Goose rhymes.

Review: The bright, colorful illustrations in this collection of Mother Goose rhymes will delight any child - and many adults as well. The anthology includes many familiar rhymes as well as some that were completely unfamiliar to me. There were also a few verses of songs such as "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" that I had never heard before. Take a whimsical voyage with this lovely tome.

SLJ says: "This selection of 45 mostly well-known rhymes
Alison
It was okay. I think it was a great way to introduce Edgar Allan Poe's youth without kids having to read biographies. The style of writing was certainly true to the time period the story was written in which, sadly, may be a bit sophisticated for today's youth. For my reluctant reader there were several points that I had to stop and explain what something meant. On the up side, however, she is now very interested in reading some of Poe's stories. I didn't think the storyline was overly exciting ...more
Elisa
This book has such enchanting illustrations to go along with these classic nursery rhymes, I enjoy it as much, if not more, than my baby girl.
Stephanie Phares
i have 3 boys and someone else with 3 boys made the comment that she wished the golden sower noms had more books to suit a boys interest, i somewhat found this to be true so ive set out to read what boys might like and also not turn away the girls. this book could easily do the trick...a 'magical' mystery with the potential of having a slightly dark side that turns out to have an all-in-fun explaination in the end. i liked that the character is based on a real american poet that kids can easily ...more
Very rarely do I come across a book of nursery rhymes that I actually like. Since I first learned most of them through the spoken word and not a book, I have a certain image cemented in my head of EXACTLY how that nursery rhyme should look. This almost always leads to disappointment, because I want everything to have that enchanted quality that's going on in my head, and it hardly every happens.

This book comes pretty close to perfect for me. I love the large, classical illustrations and the mix
Kim
This was a cute little book. The pictures were fantastic. I think Gustafson rivals Selznick. My only concern was I wasn't sure what exactly the story had to do with Edgar Allan Poe. It seemed a strange choice of characters--unless that was the only way to catch the publishing world's eye.

That being said, I think this book could be a real hook for some struggling readers. It had so many great picutures that the text wasn't as daunting as it could be in a normal chapter book. I would be thrilled
Snorkle
I read over 100 pages of this book, but then gave up because I wasn’t liking how flippantly they portrayed Edgar Allan Poe and their imagination of his childhood. I know it’s a fiction version with liberties taken to make people interested in his life, but I wasn’t a fan. I didn’t care for the characters and I found myself disinterested several times while reading. The illustrations didn’t really hold my attention either. I wouldn’t recommend.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse
Sam O'Heren
Loved everything about this book. Illustrations were convincingly creepy without being frightening to children--just enough to make kids want to pick this one up and stick with it. Story was great too--took an iconic literary figure and made him human, while still acknowledging his "uniqueness" (weird and creepy!) Poe was firstly a mystery writer, and Gustafson focuses on this with young detective Poe. Had some humor in it too with Poe's "sidekicks"--the imp McCobber and his faithful Raven. Hopi ...more
Elizabeth
Love, love, love these illustrations.
Shelli
I loved this book! Hard to believe this is Scott Gustafson's first chapter book. His illustrations and spot on writing with fantastic vocabulary for young readers is PERFECT! Similar in style to such great authors as Tony DiTerlizzi and Brian Selznick who combine page turning story telling with haunting and beautiful illustrations. This book is a fictional story of a young Edgar Allan Poe who has to do some clever detective work to prove his innocence after being wrongly accused of a cruel act.
Meredith
I don't know what to think about this book. I picked it up because I love Edgar Allan Poe. But aside from the prologue (which gives some Poe family history), this book could really be about any little boy (whose name happens to be Eddie). It doesn't seem to have much to do with Poe at all. The pictures are great, and the story is fun enough to read, but in my opinion, the story should either have been more related to the Poe we're all familiar with, or not been about him at all.
Anna Schubert
Although this story is certainly imaginative, I found myself annoyed by the constant anachronisms. Some authors write excellent tongue-in-cheek anachronistic fiction, and I realize that I not the the target age demographic, but for me the story fell short as it became clear that it was simply a short whodunit with Poe as window-dressing. On the other hand, the black-and-white illustrations that fill each page are excellent, and possibly the real reason to bother with the book.
Alunafowler
This book is a very large book that has every ones favorite nursery rhyme. I could not believe how many rhymes were remembered once I read this book. The book brought back old memories and made me think how significant those fhymes and songs were. Some text was read slow and some sound better read fast. The book illustration was vere diversed and full of fiction characters. The paintings were very intriguing and full of folk art. I loved reading this book to my children.
Janet
These 45 rhymes contain some of my favorite Mother Goose. One rhyme is illustrated on a two page spread giving direct focused attention for young children. It will take an adult to hold this oversized title, but afterall isn't that the point, a child feeling safe and secure in loving arms and being read to. Mother Goose is somewhat out of fashion, but is highly instructive in all types of sounds and rhymes that a child needs to hear to prepare to read.
Rebecca
Just as gorgeous as Jenn said! This is a sumptuous oversize book, with thick paper, bright colors, and full-page paintings featuring animals (Yankee Doodle is a chipmunk!) and children of various ethnicities. Definitely warrants further study, especially as Scott Gustafson lists influences such as N.C. Wyeth, Arthur Rackham, Norman Rockwell, and Maxfield Parrish (favorites of mine, too!).
Renee
May 27, 2008 Renee rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: PreK-1st
This collection of 45 Mother Goose rhymes includes an index organized by the first line in the rhyme. With large pages, both the words and illustrations are easy for young children to see. Beautiful acrylic paint illustrations bring the rhymes to life and make this book (though maybe not at all once) perfect for a read aloud.

Positively reviewed in SLJ, No other reviews found

Alice & Andrew
This book is beautiful! We originally checked it out from the library, but then Santa brought it to Andrew for Christmas because we loved it so much. The illustrations are just gorgeous on the huge pages. We can sit through a whole reading of this book, which is quite a feat of attention span for an 18-month-old.
Pam
This is a very quick read. The story wasn't that great, but the illustrations (done by the author) are spectacular! I'm tempted to purchase this book just for the artwork alone. I'd get caught up in the pictures more than the words. I'll have to look into other books Mr. Gustafson has illustrated. He's very talented!
Katie Bruce
The drawings are really the shining star in this book. The story is quick, fun and creepy, but didn't have a whole lot to do with Poe. I kind of wish there had been a connection to one of his tales (besides there being a Raven character). This read like a series, so it will be interesting to see if there are more!
Cute mystery for 2-4th graders. I think kids will like the mystery and the humor with the imp but I am not sure anyone who will read this book is going to be old enough to have any idea who Edgar Allan Poe is, and I am also not sure it matters much. The mystery stands alone just fine.
Jaime
WONDERFUL illustrations. I absolutely loved reading these to my little girl and she loved the pictures. Not only did it bring me up to speed on all the nursery rhymes I didn't know, but the illustrations will stay with me forever. This is on my list of books to buy.
  • My Very First Mother Goose
  • Excuse Me!: a Little Book of Manners
  • The Christmas Magic
  • Summer of the Wolves
  • The Boy Who Wouldn't Share
  • Lots of Dots
  • Zero to Hero (Ghost Buddy, #1)
  • Tanka Tanka Skunk!
  • She Loved Baseball: The Effa Manley Story
  • A Few Blocks
  • Randolph Caldecott: The Man Who Could Not Stop Drawing
  • Emma Dilemma: Big Sister Poems
Scott Gustafson has had the opportunity to illustrate a number of archetypal children’s books such as Peter Pan, Favorite Nursery Rhymes from Mother Goose, Nutcracker, and Classic Fairy Tales (The Greenwich Workshop Press). Recently, he has tried his hand at writing and illustrating, and his first novel, Eddie: The Lost Youth of Edgar Allan Poe, was published by Simon & Schuster Books for Youn ...more
More about Scott Gustafson...
Classic Fairy Tales Alphabet Soup: A Feast of Letters Animal Orchestra: A Counting Book Nutcracker Christmas Treasury (Family Classic Edition)