Start by marking “Eddie: The Lost Youth of Edgar Allan Poe” as Want to Read:
Eddie: The Lost Youth of Edgar Allan Poe

Eddie: The Lost Youth of Edgar Allan Poe

3.68  ·  Rating Details  ·  99 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
When young Eddie is falsely accused of destroying the Judge’s chicken coop, his adopted parents give him two days to find the true culprit. Guided by logic, but entranced by the poetry of the paranormal, Eddie seeks to solve the mystery, along the way meeting Captain Mephisto, a darkly unusual magician. With help from his Raven and the prodding of a mischievous imp, McCobb ...more
Published August 23rd 2011 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Eddie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eddie

Shellie (Layers of Thought)
3.5 stars actually
Original review with links and more posted at Layers of Thought.

An adorable mystery for middle grade readers – especially boys! It has incredible black and white line drawn illustrations. It can be seen as a book for literary minded and reluctant readers and as an introduction to this fine American author.

About: Eddie is the nick name for Edgar Allen Poe and the story is based upon the author’s humble beginnings, as we find out more about how he was born, raised, and lived.

Youn
Pat
Dec 11, 2015 Pat rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-lit
This book has two great things going for it... the subject of Poe and Gustafson's wonderful artwork! Both of which I give highest ratings! Gustafson is an outstanding artist and I have every book that I can find that is illustrated by him. Five star keepers every one!

This is the only book I've read by Gustafson and it is a well done chapter book. The author obviously researched and provides the reader with the sad facts of Poe's humble beginnings and upbringing before branching off into fantasy
colleen the fabulous fabulaphile
I stumbled across this book recently, and I don't even really remember how it happened. But I have a bit of a thing for all things Poe, and I thought it might be cute/interesting, so I grabbed it from the library.

Of course, I also thought it could be absolutely terrible, and was, honestly, a bit trepidatious when I started reading it, and I was still a bit leery as the first chapter introduces us to the man Poe and why we should care about him, and even a bit into the first chapter...

But, after
Ms. Yingling
Feb 03, 2012 Ms. Yingling rated it really liked it
Young Edgar Poe is sent to live with a foster family after the desertion of his alcoholic father and the death of his actress mother. They are kind enough, but Edgar spends most of his time in an attic filled with antique relics, talking to McCobber, the imp that his father left him. When a neighbor's cat and rooster are put in a bad and tied to the top of a building, Edgar is blamed. He asks for a day to clear himself, and begins his investigation. This brings him in contact with The Amazing Me ...more
Barbara
Jan 03, 2012 Barbara rated it liked it
Filled with detailed and sometimes quite eerie graphite pencil and liquid pencil illustrations, this chapter book imagines a brief episode in the life of Edgar Allan Poe. When he sleepwalks and finds himself in the yard of a neighbor who happens to be a judge, he has no idea how he got there or why the man's prize rooster and Eddie's cat are in a pillow case hanging from a weather vane. Eddie is certain that he is innocent, and he begs for time to prove that innocence. With his trusty companions ...more
Lingovise
May 08, 2015 Lingovise rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
a truly delightful middle-grade read. My 9 year old son really enjoyed this mysterious tale involving a very young Edgar Poe. I liked that it gently introduced him to one of my favorite literary geniuses. We both absolutely loved the fantastically amazing illustrations that help to propel you through the story. The book is worth reading for the illustrations alone!
Sharon Lawler
This is a mashup between biography, historical fiction and mystery Edgar Allan Poe and his two siblings were orphaned as very young children with all three being separated and raised by different families. Edgar spent the rest of his youth with the Allans of Richmond and during the brief timeframe of this story the rift between Edgar and Mr. Allan is depicted. There are elements in the story that foreshadow Poe's future writing, the raven being one, and the little monster being another. Well ill ...more
Alison
Sep 22, 2012 Alison rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
It was okay. I think it was a great way to introduce Edgar Allan Poe's youth without kids having to read biographies. The style of writing was certainly true to the time period the story was written in which, sadly, may be a bit sophisticated for today's youth. For my reluctant reader there were several points that I had to stop and explain what something meant. On the up side, however, she is now very interested in reading some of Poe's stories. I didn't think the storyline was overly exciting ...more
Stephanie Phares
Jun 29, 2012 Stephanie Phares rated it really liked it
i have 3 boys and someone else with 3 boys made the comment that she wished the golden sower noms had more books to suit a boys interest, i somewhat found this to be true so ive set out to read what boys might like and also not turn away the girls. this book could easily do the trick...a 'magical' mystery with the potential of having a slightly dark side that turns out to have an all-in-fun explaination in the end. i liked that the character is based on a real american poet that kids can easily ...more
Kim
Nov 15, 2011 Kim rated it really liked it
This was a cute little book. The pictures were fantastic. I think Gustafson rivals Selznick. My only concern was I wasn't sure what exactly the story had to do with Edgar Allan Poe. It seemed a strange choice of characters--unless that was the only way to catch the publishing world's eye.

That being said, I think this book could be a real hook for some struggling readers. It had so many great picutures that the text wasn't as daunting as it could be in a normal chapter book. I would be thrilled
I read over 100 pages of this book, but then gave up because I wasn’t liking how flippantly they portrayed Edgar Allan Poe and their imagination of his childhood. I know it’s a fiction version with liberties taken to make people interested in his life, but I wasn’t a fan. I didn’t care for the characters and I found myself disinterested several times while reading. The illustrations didn’t really hold my attention either. I wouldn’t recommend.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse
Sam O'Heren
Oct 15, 2011 Sam O'Heren rated it it was amazing
Loved everything about this book. Illustrations were convincingly creepy without being frightening to children--just enough to make kids want to pick this one up and stick with it. Story was great too--took an iconic literary figure and made him human, while still acknowledging his "uniqueness" (weird and creepy!) Poe was firstly a mystery writer, and Gustafson focuses on this with young detective Poe. Had some humor in it too with Poe's "sidekicks"--the imp McCobber and his faithful Raven. Hopi ...more
Shelli
I loved this book! Hard to believe this is Scott Gustafson's first chapter book. His illustrations and spot on writing with fantastic vocabulary for young readers is PERFECT! Similar in style to such great authors as Tony DiTerlizzi and Brian Selznick who combine page turning story telling with haunting and beautiful illustrations. This book is a fictional story of a young Edgar Allan Poe who has to do some clever detective work to prove his innocence after being wrongly accused of a cruel act.
Meredith
Feb 27, 2012 Meredith rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-lit
I don't know what to think about this book. I picked it up because I love Edgar Allan Poe. But aside from the prologue (which gives some Poe family history), this book could really be about any little boy (whose name happens to be Eddie). It doesn't seem to have much to do with Poe at all. The pictures are great, and the story is fun enough to read, but in my opinion, the story should either have been more related to the Poe we're all familiar with, or not been about him at all.
Anna Schubert
May 18, 2013 Anna Schubert rated it it was ok
Although this story is certainly imaginative, I found myself annoyed by the constant anachronisms. Some authors write excellent tongue-in-cheek anachronistic fiction, and I realize that I not the the target age demographic, but for me the story fell short as it became clear that it was simply a short whodunit with Poe as window-dressing. On the other hand, the black-and-white illustrations that fill each page are excellent, and possibly the real reason to bother with the book.
Pam
Mar 26, 2013 Pam rated it liked it
This is a very quick read. The story wasn't that great, but the illustrations (done by the author) are spectacular! I'm tempted to purchase this book just for the artwork alone. I'd get caught up in the pictures more than the words. I'll have to look into other books Mr. Gustafson has illustrated. He's very talented!
Katie Bruce
Sep 10, 2012 Katie Bruce rated it liked it
Shelves: j-fiction
The drawings are really the shining star in this book. The story is quick, fun and creepy, but didn't have a whole lot to do with Poe. I kind of wish there had been a connection to one of his tales (besides there being a Raven character). This read like a series, so it will be interesting to see if there are more!
Oct 31, 2011 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: chi-mystery
Cute mystery for 2-4th graders. I think kids will like the mystery and the humor with the imp but I am not sure anyone who will read this book is going to be old enough to have any idea who Edgar Allan Poe is, and I am also not sure it matters much. The mystery stands alone just fine.
"Skippy"
Nov 12, 2011 "Skippy" rated it really liked it
Shelves: lbr
These illustrations were quite beautiful. Cute little play on words here and there, and plenty of imagination to liven up the historical aspect. Though not incredibly accurate in the sense of history, it would still make a good read regardless.
Jordan Funke
A really cute story about young Edgar Allen Poe being accused of a crime he didn't commit. A little demon on his shoulder and his pet Raven give conflicting advice. An awesome stranger in town offers insight into his life.
Tara Smith
Jan 20, 2015 Tara Smith rated it liked it
Very cute, especially the demon, McCobber. :) I enjoyed the drawings more than the story but it was a fun, cute read. I would buy my own copy just to have the drawings, they were awesome!
Celeste
Dec 13, 2011 Celeste rated it liked it
This was a good book. It is a creative story and great illustrations. The illustrations can be a bit scary for the age that the story is directed at, but it was a fun read.
Betsy
Jul 07, 2011 Betsy rated it it was ok
One Sentence Review: Not half as much fun as it should have been, this ultimately forgettable fantasy fails to truly plunder the Poe name for all its creepy worth.
Alice
May 01, 2012 Alice rated it really liked it
This was an interesting look at the possible childhood of Edgar Allan Poe. I particularly enjoyed the drawings as they added another dimensio to the tale.
Boyd
Dec 25, 2012 Boyd rated it it was amazing
A fun read for any fan of Poe. The young Poe finds himself in a difficult situation; see how he, his pet Raven, and a mischievous imp, make this a great read.
Katherine
Mar 03, 2013 Katherine rated it really liked it
great for a younger reader who wants something scary. Loved the execution and the idea of the imp giving eddie his chilling ideas...
Kelly
Aug 03, 2012 Kelly rated it really liked it
I predict a future Bluebonnet title! Just enough of a mystery with a few scary parts to enthrall middle elem. readers.
Michelle
Dec 18, 2011 Michelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Young Edgar Poe (and his imp) have 24 hours to prove he didn't commit the crime he was accused of. Very cute!
Mallory
Dec 22, 2011 Mallory rated it really liked it
Geared for a younger audience than I originally thought. Recommended for second and third grade.
Jen
Mar 27, 2012 Jen rated it liked it
A fun introduction to Edgar Allen Poe, his raven and his macabre writing style!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Scott Gustafson has had the opportunity to illustrate a number of archetypal children’s books such as Peter Pan, Nutcracker, Favorite Nursery Rhymes from Mother Goose, and Classic Fairy Tales, the last two titles published by Artisan. In 2011, he tried his hand at writing and illustrating, and his first novel, Eddie: The Lost Youth of Edgar Allan Poe, was published by Simon & Schuster Books fo ...more
More about Scott Gustafson...