Start by marking “de Bono's Thinking Course” as Want to Read:
de Bono's Thinking Course

de Bono's Thinking Course

Argues that thinking is a skill that can be developed, offers advice on perception, lateral thinking, and decision making, and tells how to start a thinking club.
Paperback, Revised, 196 pages
Published August 1st 1994 by Facts on File (first published June 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about de Bono's Thinking Course, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about de Bono's Thinking Course

Lubna
May 25, 2011 Lubna rated it really liked it
Edward De Bono is regarded as the father of ‘lateral thinking’. He first invented this term ‘lateral thinking’ way back in 1967. Today this term finds a place in the Oxford English Dictionary.

What exactly is lateral thinking? On his official website the author states: “You cannot dig a hole in a different place by digging the same hole deeper”. This means that trying harder in the same direction may not be as useful as changing direction. Effort in the same direction (approach) will not necessar
Rich
Sep 25, 2011 Rich rated it liked it
"Edward de Bono is considered by many to be the leading authority in the world on the direct teaching of thinking as a skill." Few will argue against the fact that de Bono is a pioneer of "thinking about thinking," as very rarely can you progress through a nexus of learning without acknowledging his vast contributions.

The best part of this text, which was required reading for my graduate degree, is how he gives the reader a glimpse into how their mind's eye truly works. However, with that being
Iman xodafard
زمین اسکی برای اسکی بازی زمین تنیس برای بازی تنیس و پیست اسکیت برای اسکیت بازی تعبیه شده برای فکر کردن به عنوان یک مهارت چه جای و زمانی درنظر گرفته شده؟ معما و جدول کلمات متقاطع تنها بخشی از مهارت تفکر را در بر می گیرد. اما تفکر به عنوان یک مهارت باید زرنگی متفاوت است و متفاوت است با خودمحوری ها در تفکر اعم از باهوشی یا کودنی... این یک بند کلی است برای قلقلک دادن ذهن تا به تفکر به مانند دارو نگاه نکند. دارو را تنها هنگامی می خوریم که بیمار باشیم. اگر شنا کردن را هنگام غرق شدن بیاموزیم چندان لذت ...more
Barrett
Aug 26, 2008 Barrett marked it as to-read
recommended by Stefan Sagmeister. 'nuff said.
Sambasivan
Jan 12, 2017 Sambasivan rated it it was amazing
Distilled summary of life long teachings of Edward de Bono. A classic to be cherished and re read once a year.
Rik
Mar 10, 2012 Rik rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rik by: Nicki
For me it is a novel idea that you can be taught how to think, but having read this book I now agree with the authors main point. I read this as a library book, but I think to get the best out of it I would need to own a copy, and deliberately go over the material repeatedly, to make better thinking a natural part of my life. Some of the authors examples seemed a little biased, especially where he says that God cannot have a sense of humour as he already knows the punchline. Some things are funn ...more
sara
Sep 20, 2010 sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book because, print designer, Stefan Sagmeister recommended it in a Q&A—De Bono's 'Thinking Course' shows many exercises on how you can improve your thinking. The brain, by necessity is very good at thinking automatically. But when it comes to creative ideas, the brain also wants to think in repetition. So DeBono shows you some ways to trick the brain out of thinking in repetitions, to throw it out of its regular paths. I think ALL designers (or anyone) should read this book. DeB ...more
Tisaranavamsa
Feb 18, 2011 Tisaranavamsa rated it really liked it
Edward De Bono has written many books and each book has something special to each of them. This book could be considered as a concise version of everything what De Bono has taught over several years in several books. It's concise so it could feel truncated as well. I liked it but I wonder how an absolute beginner to De Bono's work would find it. It should have been a bit more comprehensive in case of exercises in after each chapter.
David
Dec 11, 2012 David rated it liked it
how about instead of thinking like a wanna be wisecrack..how about just be, I mean, just be a person who is willing to dwell on finding out the truth..go to the library, go on to a subject, focus and focus and find out more about certain subjects both sides of the coin...but finding out the truth, one sees better at 360 degrees..no particular extra power or perceptions needed..
HiPBAHA
Feb 20, 2016 HiPBAHA rated it really liked it
All De Bono's work I've read is like alluring brain food. I just want to sit on a dead camel and begin reading Jiddu Krishnamuti's 'The First and Last Last Freedom' again.

NB: As far as reviews are concerned; personally, it was an honour reading it. In fact, I was truly overjoyed to the degree that tears of euphoria ran down my ass cheeks jubilantly. 4/5
Palsay
saat berkunjung ke rumah di kampung, tak sengaja menemukan buku ini. Sering dengar bukunya, ga nyangka ternyata kakak pernah punya...hihihi..
*lengkap dengan bau lembap dan titik-titik hitam jamur di beberapa halamannya...hiiiyyh..*
Trever
Dec 05, 2012 Trever rated it it was ok
Book deals with thinking such as creative thinking and lateral thinking. The book doesn't go in to much detail about how to apply CoRT and Lateral thinking into education. Quick read, but doesn't give research to back... mostly just general knowledge type learning.
Gerald Berke
Feb 10, 2009 Gerald Berke rated it it was amazing
One of the books I read on and off... too much to absorb, certainly too much to remember and spew forth, the kind of book that reminds and instructs anew.
It's about thinking, how do to it, and what it's not and what is not thinking
Nicki
This is definitely a book that you need to sit down and mull over and do all the exercises to get anything out of it. I did a few with my husband and let him carry on reading it himself. You do have to persevere with it as its not a a light flick through book.
Vadim
Oct 02, 2014 Vadim rated it really liked it
One of the things I like about De Bono's books is that they are very practical oriented. He's not only talking about thinking in general, he's digging in deep. Mostly what you'll find in this books are techniques on how to improve your thinking process and decision making, no bla-bla.
Mahtab
Aug 11, 2007 Mahtab rated it it was ok
نکات مفید و جالبی در این کتاب بود از جمله تکنیک هایی برای فکر کردن یا درست فکر کردن. اما ترجمه نه چندان خوب کتاب باعث شد نتونم تا انتها پیش برم! امیدوارم متن اصلی رو پیدا کنم
Michael Hsu
Feb 26, 2014 Michael Hsu rated it liked it
Shelves: psychology
Not an easy book to read, at least for me. The key thing I got out of this book is thinking is a skill which means it can be improve. Now if I only remember how…
Daniel
Nov 10, 2008 Daniel rated it really liked it
This book offers many techniques for analyzing and improving your thinking skills. Be sure to copy down the procedural steps as they will fade from memory after a while.
Anne Marie
Truly mind-expanding. Read at 12 years of age - made the grey matter even sharper (in my humble opinion! LOL!)
Tim
Mar 19, 2013 Tim rated it liked it
Great ideas, but the book doesn't go into enough detail or have useful examples. I got this as part of a seminar, which was much more helpful in explaining how to use the tools.
Alyssa
Nov 09, 2009 Alyssa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: design
One of the best books on the thinking skills as a process and argumentations for new paradigms in thinking.
Howard Y
Sep 11, 2016 Howard Y rated it it was ok
Sort of a list of concepts that are now old hat, with zero implementation tips. Have yet to find a De Bono book I can read without wanting to burn afterwards.
Mavromou
Aug 06, 2015 Mavromou rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very interesting book for those who want to develop techniques to focus the thought on a specific goal .

The book has several techniques thought to define and focus on an object of thought.
 هشام   خالد
Well its a little bit complicated or maybe my english is just poor . Yet I didn't understand the techniques fully . What I've understood was useful though
Dewey Norton
Sep 14, 2010 Dewey Norton rated it it was amazing
Presents a number of techniques, some invented by the author on how to think, which involves a higher level of skill than expected.
René
René rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2013
Stephen pieraldi
Stephen pieraldi rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2012
Alex X
Alex X rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2016
Heri
Heri rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2016
Daniel Tolson
Daniel Tolson rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2011
  • Use Both Sides of Your Brain: New Mind-Mapping Techniques
  • Mind Performance Hacks: Tips & Tools for Overclocking Your Brain
  • Why Not?: How to Use Everyday Ingenuity to Solve Problems Big And Small
  • Vital Lies, Simple Truths: The Psychology of Self-Deception
  • The Inner Game of Work: Focus, Learning, Pleasure, and Mobility in the Workplace
  • Brain Gym: Simple Activities for Whole Brain Learning
  • Blame My Brain: The Amazing Teenage Brain Revealed
  • The Fallacy Detective
  • Entrepreneurship: Successfully Launching New Ventures
  • Business Analysis and Valuation: Using Financial Statements, Text and Cases
  • The Great Political Theories, Volume 2
  • The Entrepreneurial Mindset: Strategies for Continuously Creating Opportunity in an Age of Uncertainty
  • Visual Grammar
  • Miseducation: Preschoolers at Risk
  • The Geek Atlas
  • The Thinker's Toolkit: 14 Powerful Techniques for Problem Solving
  • The Tao of Coaching: Boost Your Effectiveness at Work by Inspiring and Developing Those Around You
  • The Evelyn Wood Seven-Day Speed Reading and Learning Program
Edward de Bono is a British physician, author, inventor, and consultant. He is best known as the originator of the term lateral thinking (structured creativity) and the leading proponent of the deliberate teaching of thinking in schools.
More about Edward de Bono...