Start by marking “Stonewall's Gold: A Novel of the Civil War” as Want to Read:
Stonewall's Gold: A Novel of the Civil War

Stonewall's Gold: A Novel of the Civil War

Winner of the Civil War Society's Seal of Approval
Winner of the Michael Shaara Award for Civil War Fiction

Stonewall's Gold is an adventure story for readers of all ages in the classic tradition of Treasure Island and The Red Badge of Courage. Combining a fascinating and gripping narrative with a portrait of life in the Civil War-era South, it is also the moving story of
Published February 14th 2000 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published December 15th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Stonewall's Gold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stonewall's Gold

Art
Feb 15, 2015 Art rated it really liked it
It is the last winter of the Civil War and the Union army has destroyed fields, farms and food stores to prevent the Shenandoah Valley from being a further source of supplies for the Confederate army.

Jamie Lockhart and his mother are trying to survive and keep their Port Republic farm going until Jamie's father comes home from the war.

Soon after they rent a room to a soldier, someone starts digging up battlefield graves. When Jamie sets out to identify the person, he triggers a series of events
Beth Yeary
Thanks to the local library book sale, I obtained this book. It's a fictionalized account of gold being stolen from a train during one of the battles of the Civil WAr. Hidden away by one of the theives when they had to split up, it remains buried almost until the end of the war. A fifteen year old boy obtains the map after saving his mother from a rape, and goes off in search of the gold. Along the way, he meets all sorts of characters.

I enjoyed the story line.
Robert Mrazek
Dec 24, 2014 Robert Mrazek rated it it was amazing
Robert Louis Stevenson adventure like Kidnapped except with the American Civil War as a background. Perfect for time, place, and mood.
Diane Wachter
Mar 01, 2016 Diane Wachter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
RDC-M V 3 1999, 5/6/13. A novel about a shipment of confederate gold bars, stolen by Union soldiers, then stolen back by a group of rebs and hidden after the Battle of Manassas. A crude coded map was made and carried by the man who hid the gold. That soldier was killed and buried at Port Republic. One of his cohorts robbed soldiers grave to find the map, but he was killed when he attacked a 15 year old boy's mother, and the lad killed him. The lad set out to find the gold, as did the other cohor ...more
Laney
Mar 10, 2013 Laney rated it liked it
Combining aspects of Robinson Crusoe, Treasure Island and Cold Mountain, this historical novel of the late Civil War was an excellent, albeit brief, read. I appreciate historical fiction that consists of good research not just into a timeline of events that occur around the novel's plot, but into the heart of the society and environment of the time as well.

The main character, fifteen-year-old Jamie Lockhart is the convincing narrator, who is caught in that difficult period between being a boy a
Linda
Mar 31, 2011 Linda rated it liked it
This is another Civil-War-in-the-Shenandoahs historical novel, great to read after Cold Mountain. When I read this book, I thought it was based on a true story because the author gives information at the end about the Civil War soldier who is the father of the protagonist of the novel. However, I have since found out that this is not the case, it is all fiction. (There is a line between fiction and documented fact in novels and some biographies that is growing blurrier all the time, especially i ...more
Korin Hall
Jan 06, 2016 Korin Hall rated it it was amazing
A very well-written page-turner! It was a good size for a quick read. The plot is very interesting and characters very likeable. I quickly read the Explanatory Notes at the beginning but not in detail. I liked it better that way because the Ending Notes held surprises for me. I then went back and read the Explanatory Notes at the beginning again in greater detail. It paints a picture of what it was really like during the Civil War in Viriginia. Recommended! I've already passed it on to a friend.
Judith
Sep 03, 2014 Judith rated it liked it
I read this book because it was compared to Cold Mountain. I really enjoyed that book but Stonewall's Gold is nowhere near the fine book Frazier wrote. Mrazek has written a fairly entertaining book but it lacks a soul. It seems to be written for kids and not for adults - the plot is thin, the romance of children and the historical facts are glossed over. So, not a bad book and an enjoyable but lightweight read.
Karen
Many reviewers said this is an adventure story for all ages. I agree that it has the feel of "Treasure Island" - except that there are at least two near-rapes in the book! Do middle schoolers really need this realism? I quit reading half way through because I got tired of the chase, violence, and near-death experiences. Checked to learn if there was any case in the Civil War concerning missing gold. Could not find such an experience and so the story just seemed too farfetched for me. Also, did n ...more
Sal4gal
Aug 14, 2016 Sal4gal rated it liked it
Civil War story about a map and treasure at the end of the war. Talked a lot about the low-life's that steal and murder.
John Gschwend
I started reading this novel to compare it with mine, "Chase The Wild Pigeons." They both have teenagers as the main characters. This story is great. I don't want to say too much because I don't want to give anything away. It moves along nicely, and the relationship with the main characters is nice and believable. It takes place in the Shenandoah Valley--I've been there to research my own novel, so I could see it in my mind's eye.

If you want to read a Civil War novel where the war is the backgro
Terri
Jan 29, 2012 Terri rated it it was amazing
Traveling through what was left of Virginia in the last months of the Civil War with Jamie was a thoroughly absorbing journey. This story rings with authenticity and the moral agony of civil war is very clearly illustrated. The characters are alive, both admirable and pitiable, and their differing motivations and desires well defined. I would heartily recommend this novel to anyone who enjoys a true adventure based in a most turbulent time in American history!
AraBD
Jan 05, 2014 AraBD rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2014
Leído en español en una compilación de Reader's Digest.
No conozco mucho del tema de esta guerra y no me agradó la historia, pareciera dejar en mal al protagonista pues cometió muchos errores que para lo que estaba viviendo no parecen concordar.
Robin (RBBR)
Jan 02, 2011 Robin (RBBR) rated it really liked it
I liked this one. It is based on the belief that there was a shipment of gold coming to the Confederacy from France (I think I have that right) and the fact that it was lost. Its been numerous years since this I read this but I recall it being good and definitely worth reading. I think it gets its name from the fact that Stonewall's Troops had some part in transporting the gold.
Vitor Frazão
Jan 16, 2012 Vitor Frazão rated it did not like it
Este livro não passa de um apressando conjunto de eventos empilhados, sem qualquer tentativa séria de gerar uma ligação entre o leitor e as personagens e a história em si é fraca. Não fosse por teimosia, tê-lo-ia abandonado a poucas páginas do início.
Cindy
Jan 09, 2009 Cindy rated it really liked it
Shelves: civil-war
This was a wonderful ride from cover to cover and a must read for any civil war readers. It's an afternoon well spent in a race and adventure equal to my childhood readings of Treasure Island, etc. Enjoy!
Rae
Apr 30, 2008 Rae rated it liked it
A young Southern boy gets caught up in the search for a wagonload full of gold belonging to the Union. This is a sweet historical coming-of-age story.
Amanda
Oct 30, 2008 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Great! Thanks to my neighbor Judy this book was a great escape for me! Historical, adventurous, fun and the ultimate escape after working all day!!
Sonny
May 28, 2015 Sonny rated it liked it
It reminded me of Treasure Island set during the American War Between the States. I liked Robert Louis Stevenson's version better.
Amy
Mar 07, 2009 Amy rated it really liked it
Interesting Civil-War era fictional mystery novel... a quick read but I enjoyed it very much.
Blaine Morrow
Sep 09, 2011 Blaine Morrow rated it liked it
Great read! Some coming-of-age, some adventure, some historical fiction: all fun and well-paced.
Kenneth Baird
Jul 20, 2013 Kenneth Baird rated it it was amazing
Fun mystery set at the end of the civil war.
Beth Bedee
A Civil War version of Treasure Island.
Ronald Holt
Aug 19, 2012 Ronald Holt rated it liked it
Shelves: audible
First Audible
Katy
3.5 stars/5.
Mark Howard
Mark Howard is currently reading it
Sep 29, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Lizbeth
Lizbeth rated it liked it
Sep 23, 2016
Deb
Deb marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2016
  • The Tamarack Tree
  • The Widow of Jerusalem (Fools' Guild, #4)
  • Murder on the Mauretania (George Porter Dillman & Genevieve Masefield, #2)
  • The Outcast (Morland Dynasty, #21)
  • The Blood Royal (Joe Sandilands #9)
  • Terminal Event:  A Novel
  • To Davy Jones Below (Daisy Dalrymple, #9)
  • A Murder for Her Majesty
  • The Life You Save May Be Your Own
  • One Gallant Rush: Robert Gould Shaw and His Brave Black Regiment
  • Wild Rose: The True Story of a Civil War Spy
  • Play for a Kingdom
Robert Jan Mrazek was a Democratic member of the United States House of Representatives, representing the 3rd Congressonal District on Long Island for most of the 1980s.

He born in Newport, Rhode Island, but grew up in Huntington, New York. He graduated from Cornell University in 1967. In 1968, he entered the United States Navy and served in the Vietnam War. However, he was discharged following a t
More about Robert J. Mrazek...