Start by marking “Essential Edgar Cayce” as Want to Read:
Essential Edgar Cayce

Essential Edgar Cayce

A complete guide to the work of the remarkable twentieth-century seer Edgar Cayce, featuring Cayce's most intriguing and influential readings, and a biographical introduction to his life.

Edgar Cayce is one of the most mysterious men of the twentieth century. Sometimes called "The Sleeping Prophet," he was prone to pick up taglines that reflected the sensationalistic side

Published July 8th 2004 by Penguin Group US

Yaaresse
Thurston does a good job of explaining and clarifying Cayce's often awkward and abstruse readings. My rating is more indicative of appreciating his distilling the material into something approachable than of my enjoyment of the book in general.

This is definitely a pro-Cayce book. Thurston is connected with the Cayce Foundation and fully on board with the idea of Edgar Cayce as a legitimate prophet and seer. I remain skeptical and suspect his readings were more along lines of a self-hypnotic syn
I will be exploring this question in my journal later: what are the implications for identity politics of relating the lines of the Lord's Prayer to the 7 chakras? These are the kinds of questions that pop up upon reflecting on the entirety of this book presenting Edgar Cayce's philosophy and advice, because my mind .... has exploded a little bit.

This book introducing Edgar Cayce's life of thought and action has been a new spark in seeing the possibilities in my own life, and how I think about
Huma Rashid
Dec 27, 2015 Huma Rashid rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have a friend who is very into this, and I wanted to learn more about Edgar Cayce. It was fasincating. A blend of Christianity and Buddhism and other eastern traditions, on the most basic, superficial level. Quite a nice read. The predictions/prophecies reminded me of the writings of Nostradamus I read many years ago, LOL.
Maggie Leivas
Oct 28, 2011 Maggie Leivas rated it really liked it
I am thoroughly enjoying this book and highly recommend it to anyone who believes they live on this earth for a purpose and that possibly there is more to life than just our flesh and bones in brain.
Ecosgrove1
Sep 26, 2013 Ecosgrove1 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the clearest book I've read on Cayce's readings. Mark Thurston presents all the salient points beautifully.
Vali
Jun 27, 2013 Vali rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While I did enjoy reading about Edgar Cayce I have one very troubling question: if Cayce was psychic and knowing, why was he so devoutly Christian?
Jen
Dec 24, 2012 Jen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: can-t-finish
Wasn't interested enough to finish the book, unfortunately. I'd like to say its my short attention span, but perhaps I just did not gel with the style of writing the author used.
Luda
Sep 15, 2009 Luda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
Mark Thurston sums up some of the Edgar Cayce’s important readings on various subjects. Great general introduction to the teachings of the man regarded as the great mystic of modern times.
Mark Dalrymple
Mark Dalrymple rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2016
Bridget
Bridget rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2014
Katie Todd
Katie Todd rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2013
Laurel
Laurel rated it liked it
Dec 24, 2012
Phillip
Phillip rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2012
Lil D
Lil D rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2010
Matt
Matt rated it it was ok
Oct 21, 2013
Maria
Maria rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2008
Maggie Leivas
Oct 21, 2011 Maggie Leivas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoying this intriguing book.
Mhenry2025
Mhenry2025 rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2014
Jeremiah Parrish
Jeremiah Parrish rated it it was amazing
Sep 11, 2014
Cyanemi
Kind of a rehash of everything.
Annette
Annette rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2016
Shaun Robinson
Shaun Robinson rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2015
Colleen
Colleen rated it liked it
Jun 27, 2010
Heather R
Heather R rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2011
Carmen Garza
Apr 21, 2013 Carmen Garza rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The teachings of Cayce are now and will always be very valuable to me.
Die Case
Die Case rated it it was amazing
Nov 07, 2014
Monique
Monique rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2014
Melinda
Melinda rated it it was amazing
Nov 16, 2016
Sandy
Sandy rated it liked it
Nov 13, 2014
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »

“So how do we connect with this elusive changeless side of life? By doing deeds that are so kind and loving they create something that “lives on and on in the heart and soul.” Inward, meditative retreat isn’t enough if we want to make a connection to the changeless. We need to be good for something, to reach out to those in need with a kind word, a moment of attention, some hope. Unpretentious as it sounds, that’s the key to dealing with change, and it’s the essence of Edgar Cayce’s social vision.” 0 likes
“As important as high aspirations and ideals are, we have to do something with them, and that takes courage. “He without an ideal is sorry indeed; he with an ideal and lacking courage to live it is sorrier still. Know that” (1402-1).” 0 likes