Start by marking “Fuego Vivo, Viento Fresco: Lo Que Sucede Cuando El Espiritu de Dios Invade El Corazon de Su Pueblo” as Want to Read:

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  9,770 ratings  ·  215 reviews
SPANISH EDITION. 'Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire' shows what the Holy Spirit can do when believers get serious about prayer and evangelism.
Published June 26th 2009 by Vida Publishers (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Fuego Vivo, Viento Fresco, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fuego Vivo, Viento Fresco

Jenn
“Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire”
By Jim Cymbala

Part 1: Key Learnings
• Page 19: God is attracted to weakness. Our weakness makes room for His power.
o Application: I need to rely on God’s power to run Growth Group and by ready to acknowledge and identify my areas of weakness
• Page 26: God is present, and he would act on our behalf.
o Application: Great encouragement to people I meet with in difficult circumstances. Use stories of God’s faithfulness to act as encouragement.
• Page 49: Prayer cannot be taug
Frank
Book Review: Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire By Jim Cymbala

In 1972, a young married man who did not have a background in ministry took over a dying congregation in a tough, inner-city neighborhood at the urgent request of his minister father-in-law.

Less than twenty people were attending services, the building was in disrepair and there was no money for even basic necessities. Yet within a few years the congregation was much larger and thriving. It eventually began to number in the thousands and develope
Danny
Jun 11, 2010 Danny rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Enjoyed this book about allowing God’s Spirit to invade our hearts. Some of my favorite quotes include:
“I discovered an astonishing truth: God is attracted to weakness. He can't resist those who humbly and honestly admit how desperately they need him.”
“After all, people weren't hungry for fancy sermons or organizational polish. They just wanted love. They wanted to know that God could pick them up and give them a second chance.”
“Because I had been a basketball player, it never dawned on me to ev
Seth Little
While this was an inspirational read, I had a hard time stomaching the anti-intellectual bent of Pastor Cymbala. He is clearly a man of the highest intentions and of faith, but I don't think he presents a balanced, holistic view of Christian ministry in the end. I recommend this book as a secondary part of a balanced reading diet for church leaders.
Aaron
Jim Cymbala was a familiar name to me, as I had read some of his articles in Charisma magazine. The Charismatic books are the most widely read books in Christendom. I've not really been impressed with one to date—there is always a running theme under them all which I do not adhere to.

Jim was thrown into the role of Pastor by the hand of his father-in-law. Jim had no formal ministerial training(and I suspect still hasn't), and make no mistake about it, he takes pride in that fact.

Preaching the w
Murray
Jim Cymbala is the pastor of the Brooklyn Tabernacle. Although he didn't found the tabernacle, it was just a handful of parishoners when his father-in-law gave him the assignment back in the early 70s. It now attracts some 8,000 weekly seekers and has satellites thoughout the land. Ironically, Fresh Wind Fresh Fire is about not seeking numbers in your church but seeking the Holy Spirit. He, if given the opportunity, will grow your church and depth of worship. I've read numerous books by Jim but ...more
Mandy J. Hoffman
MY REVIEW:

I think it was the title...but for whatever reason this is a book I had seen many times and just never bought for myself to read. But recently when a dear man of God recommended this to our church leadership I immediately found it on PaperBackSwap and began to read it.

WOW!

This book is not about the how-to's of prayer like so many other books are, but about the why we pray and the power of prayer. And for those of you in my circle, it's not "out there" either. While there are a few thi
Leah Beecher
This is an excellent book for any Christian who wants to discover what "The Church" is supposed to look like, and act like. Jim Cymbala is humble and authentic. His passion for Christ comes through on every page. With much wisdom and insight he gives a very balanced view on issues dealing with spiritual warfare and culture issues.His stand and hard-hitting truth is always saturated in scripture. He makes the important and often looked-over point that the "problems with the world" is not seculari ...more
Simon Bale
It wasn't that I disliked the book's core message: that prayer and the Holy Spirit are what matters in Christian community today. It was the way the message was communicated.

I felt beaten up and beaten down by the onslaught of marshal metaphors, and seriously unnerved at the prejudice shown by Cymbala on matters of family life, sexuality and relationships.

The core message could have been got across in a dozen or more pages, and the rest could be left out. It is a truly serious and valuable messa
Haverlee
I'm giving this 5 stars on the sheer basis that I read it cover to cover on my own in a relatively short amount of time. The number of times I've done that with a biblically based spiritual improvement book (what do you call that category??) that wasn't for a bible study is slim to none. There are stories and ideas in here that are truly life-changing (Huh. Go figure. Bible based ideas are life-changing. ;) and will stick with me for a very long time.
Laszlo Debreceni
Friss szél friss tűz

Nagyon egyszerű de alapvető könyv arról, hogy nem kell semmilyen új módszert kitalálnunk az ébredéshez, csak meg kell tanulnunk imádkozni, Istenhez kiáltani és engedelmeskedni.
Chuck Musselwhite
Simply the best book on spiritual renewal and prayer.
Jacki
This was a quick little book. I read it in just one evening.

I really loved the first half, all the history of the Brooklyn Tabernacle. It is incredible what God did through these people.

I read this for a book club & when I first saw it, I was kind of bummed. It didn't seem like something I would like at all, but in fact I thought it was pretty good.
Jordan Terrell
I've been growing frustrated lately with many churches assumption that God's kingdom needs to be built on programs, strategies, talent, and polish. Oh, and maybe some prayer and the Holy Spirit. Somewhere we seem to be missing the point. Turns out Jim Cymbala had this thought first and published it back in 1997. I'm so glad I finally had a chance to read this book.

It's not a long book. But aren't the most profound aspects of the Christian also the simplest. God told us to seek Him in prayer, an
Shaun Marksbury
With recommendations from Drs. Joseph Stowell and Warren Wiersbe, it was a given that Jim Cymbala’s Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire would become a bestseller. Full of relatable stories of struggle with sin, this pastor of the Brooklyn Tabernacle writes this engaging work that will encourages readers to turn the sufficiency of self to trust in the power of prayer. Even so, this is not a book I recommend.

First, irony opens the book: a man who wasn’t called to be a pastor treaded water by gaining footing on
Tony Huy
May 12, 2012 Tony Huy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tony by: Jon Sarinana
Great book. I was blessed, encouraged, and taught through it. This book planted seeds for my discovery of a life dependent upon the Holy Spirit (still discovering) and has caused seismic shifts in some of my views on how church is done.
Brenan
I really liked it. It was very convicting as far as realizing that prayer is super important and that it isn't emphasized enough in today's Church. I didn't agree with everything he said, but overall it was an excellent.
Josh
Good book on prayer and the need for churches to be built on what God can do, not what we can do.
Josh
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. While it had a lot of personal reflection, it often went deeper. I admired his call to prayer and genuine seeking within the church, but I often wondered if he generalized too much--his experience was made out to be true for all churches.

While I don't think it'd ever hurt a church to do more and try Cymbala's methods, I don't know that it would always get the results Cymbala claims. Then again, he does say it's not our job to bring the results. So it alm
Aurelie
I loved Jim Cymbala's account of he went from pastor of a small poorly attended, ordinary church to a leader of a power-filled church through the prayer of faith in the miracle-working God of the Bible. He encourages me in my quest for the supernatural of God in my life. The book is a testimony that God has not changed, He still comes down and performs signs and wonders in the lives of His saints who choose to call on His name instead of resorting to man-made solutions, just as He did countless ...more
Elizabeth
Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire will challenge you to pray and seek the Lord in everything and for everything. The book challenges you to pray, not just for results, but to get to know the one who loves you.

This is the story of how God took a struggling dying church with a struggling minister and turned it into one of the biggest churches of our time. This book is filled with story after story of how the Lord transformed the lives of people with the gospel and the power of prayer. What good is it to have
Cary
What is it really that stops us from becoming mighty warriors in the Lord? God has not changed. He is still superior to anything the enemy can throw against us.

No personal or church situation is too hopeless for the all-sufficient power of the Holy Spirit. God will be no more eager to act tommorow than he is right now. He is waiting for us to take his promises seriously and go boldly to the throne of grace. He wants us to meet the enemy at the very point of attack, standing against Him in the n
Jon
The amazing awakening of the congregation of Brooklyn Tabernacle. Pastor Cymbala displays the history of what God did in changing the mindset of a tiny, fledgling congregation in Brooklyn from man-focus to God-focus. This book is full of short snippets of the history and ministry of the Brooklyn Tab--a chronicle of God’s working in the city. Starting at the beginning of Cymbala’s ministry, the book opens with stories of failure and heartache. A 20 person discouraged church almost made Jim Cymbal ...more
Valerie Van Moorsel
Are we too comfortable in our pews? Is the message a watered down version of God’s truth? does the message give you a warm fuzzy good feeling as you rush out to the car after service? Is the service too regimented too choreographed to planned that even the Holy Spirit has no room to enter in?
These are the questions that I asked myself while I was reading this book “Fresh wind, Fresh fire” by Jim Cymbala . it challenged me to take a look at my own convictions before God, am I going to church bec
Donald McKinnon
What happens when a church is opened up to the Spirit of God? What happens when people pray? What can God do through you when you allow Him to use you? These are just some of the thoughts and reflections Cymbala asks in this book which is also a memoir of the start of the Brooklyn Tabernacle. Cymbala is careful to say that God grew the church as they prayed, but at the end of the book he makes it a point to say that not all churches can start a prayer meeting, and expect great results of the bat ...more
Josh Miller
A very inspirational read from a humble man. An evangelist friend of mine visited the prayer meeting service of the Brooklyn Tabernacle some years ago and was quite moved.

Several items I took away from the book:

1) The strength of one's church does not lie in the attendance to any of the preaching services...it lies in the attendance to the prayer service. I wonder how many people would show up to our mid-week services if we announced that it would only be a time of praise and prayer?? The author
Erin
I really enjoyed this one. This books shows that if you are earnestly seeking, praying, and calling on God, He listens and he will reward you. Hebrews 11:6

Some parts that really stood out to me and affected me:

"If we call upon the Lord, he promised in his word to answer, to bring the unsaved to himself, to pour out his spirit among us. If we don't call upon the name of the Lord, he has promised nothing-nothing at all. The future will depend upon our time in prayer." -Jim Cymbala pg. 27

"The more
Lindsey Jane
This book has been on my shelf for years, and for whatever reason I found it in my hands this evening. It had so much that I needed to hear- in life and in ministry. This book moved me to tears many times over the awesome testimonies of what God can do. I finished the book in a few hours, so a very quick read- but I would say a very powerful read. It definitely gave me a fresh spark, which was much needed. I'm glad it caught my eye and focus its way into my hands today.
Jane
This is one of my favorite books! I have read it over and over. I have numerous pages bent over and more pages than that highlighted with wonderful words of wisdom.

Chapter 10: Father of the Faithful
Page 160-161

Faith deals with the invisible things of God. It refuses to be ruled by the physical senses. Faith is able to say, "You can do what you like, because I know God is going to take care of me. He has promised to bless me wherever he leads me. " Remember that even when every demon in hell stan
Dottie Parish
Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire is a powerful account of how God’s Spirit worked in the life of Jim Cymbala and his wife as they took over a run down church with few members and no financial support. Through many struggles and thoughts of giving up Cymbala stayed the course and the Brooklyn Tabernacle is now an icon in the city of New York and the world. More importantly it has transformed the lives of many desperate people from all walks of life.

Early on Cymbala decided that the Tuesday evening prayer
  • Experiencing God: How to Live the Full Adventure of Knowing and Doing the Will of God
  • A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23
  • The Journey of Desire: Searching for the Life We Always Dreamed of
  • If
  • The Life You've Always Wanted: Spiritual Disciplines for Ordinary People
  • Living By the Book: The Art and Science of Reading the Bible
Jim Cymbala has been the pastor of The Brooklyn Tabernacle for more than twenty-five years. The author of the best-selling titles Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire; Fresh Faith; and Fresh Power, he lives in New York City with his wife, Carol Cymbala, who directs the Grammy Award-winning Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir.
More about Jim Cymbala...
Fresh Faith: What Happens When Real Faith Ignites God's People Fresh Power: Experiencing the Vast Resources of the Spirit of God Spirit Rising: Tapping into the Power of the Holy Spirit Breakthrough Prayer: The Secret of Receiving What You Need from God The Life God Blesses: The Secret of Enjoying God's Favor

“No matter what I preach or what we claim to believe in our heads, the future will depend upon our times of prayer.” 17 likes
“Jesus called fishermen, not graduates of rabbinical schools. The main requirement was to be natural and sincere.” 15 likes