Start by marking “Samantha's Surprise: A Christmas Story” as Want to Read:
Samantha's Surprise: A Christmas Story

Samantha's Surprise: A Christmas Story (American Girls: Samantha #3)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  3,027 ratings  ·  50 reviews
The books in this collection tell the stories of six American girls who lived long ago:
Published March 1st 1988 by American Girl Publishing Inc (first published January 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Samantha's Surprise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Samantha's Surprise

When I was younger, about the age Samantha is in this book, I loved my American Girl Doll. My doll was in fact a Samantha doll. In this story about Samantha she has everything for Christmas planned out. She has made decorations for the whole house, been invited to her friend's Christmas party, and has presents made. All that seems to change when Samantha's Grandmary finds out that Uncle Gard is bringing his friend Cornelia. Grandmary orders decorations and Samantha is upset by this, then Samanth...more
Amanda Caldwell
Review from The Book Babe.

Samantha's Surprise is the third book in Samantha's American Girl series. Just like the first book, this book also is focused on a doll which Samantha wants. Samantha is eager for Christmas. She has made Christmas decorations for Grandmary's house, has a special holiday dress to wear, looks forward to making a gingerbread house, and attending her friend Ida's Christmas party. All of these things are cancelled though when Grandmary learns that Uncle Gard will be bringing...more
Rebekah
This story begins with Samantha being really excited for Christmas. Her best friend invited her to a Christmas party and she had a new dress to wear to it; she also really wanted a nutcracker doll. Her grandmother gave her permission to go to the party which made the excitement grow. Samantha also had all her presents and decorations made and she couldn't wait to decorate the house. Her grandmother tells her that her uncle is bringing a friend for Christmas so she'll have to make things extra sp...more
Callie Stillion
Samantha is angry when she hears that Uncle Gardner is bringing his special friend, Cornelia, is coming over. Of course, in one of Samantha`s short stories, they get married, and in this book, Uncle Gard asks her to marry him. Cornelia quickly says yes... but she knows that he was going to ask her, because they already had a date planned. But Samantha is longing for a Nutcracker Doll, and Aunt Cornelia gets it for Samantha. This turned out to be the best Christmas for her.
Shelli
I'm kinda over writing reviews about Samantha. This series had its good points and its not so good points. Ready to move on to something else. I let my daughter write this review:

In this American Girls Book, ten year old Samantha is invited to a Christmas Party by her friend Ida Dean. Samantha was very excited to go to the party because of all the wonderful games they planned on playing; activities such as magic tricks and charades were some of the things that Samantha would definitely not want...more
Dolly
Dec 25, 2009 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We are just starting to read stories from the "American Girls" collection. We just happen to be on the third "Samantha" story, which lucky for us, has a Christmas theme. It's a nice tale and describes how people, specifically wealthy people, celebrate Christmas just after the turn of the twentieth century. I like these stories a lot; they are entertaining and have some historical and educational content that make them more than just a story. I'm afraid, however, that they don't always hold our g...more
Teri
Tons of fun Christmas activities to go with this one! We made gingerbread houses and decorated small boxes with tiny magazine cut outs of flowers with glue and modge podge (note--use the real stuff, not shiny spray). Can make scented pillows, or cut snowflakes, or stuffed angels--could also plan a sledding trip.
Sharon
Samantha, an orphan, lives with her wealthy, formal Grandmary in 1904. Her home includes servants and prestige.

Samantha is excited about the forthcoming Christmas. She has crafted her Christmas gifts and decorations. She has her heart set on an elaborate nutcracker doll at Schofield's toy Store.

When Samantha attempts to decorate the house, she is rebuffed by Hawkins and Elsa;it appears that the house is being professionally decorated for Cornelia's visit. And no one has time to assist Samantha w...more
Megan
When I was 7 my cousin had the doll and complete collection of accessories etc. We didn't have much money but when the Scholastic book order came around Mom splurged and thank God she did. I bought 'Samantha's Surprise' and every Christmas since 1989 I've read the story. It isn't terribly brilliant and it isn't as saturated with yule as Dickens but the moment of imagination or escapism is more than enough for me. I clipped the mail order tag from the back of the book and taped it above my bed so...more
Becky Keir Grace
It's almost Christmas, and Samantha is excited for the holiday. Her Uncle is bringing Cornelia with him for Christmas. Samantha's friend, Ida, is having a big Christmas party that Samantha is excited to attend. The family has their home decorated for Christmas and Samantha is eager to make a gingerbread house. But then Cornelia's arrival causes some of Samantha's plans to fall apart. She blames Cornelia.

Samantha learns a valuable lesson this Christmas.

It is fascinating to read about Christmas ov...more
Brittany Granger
I am going to do a mass review of all the books in the American Girl series, and then copy and paste to each book when I get the chance. Stay Tuned!
F
Buddy-read with my grand niece. Samantha's favorite Uncle Gard is bringing his girlfriend, Cornelia for a Christmas visit. Samantha resents all the fuss Cornelia's visit brings, including Samantha cannot go to one of her friend's Christmas party. In my opinion there are other American Girl paperbacks that are more appealing. I did investigate recipes for quince jam and plum pudding. The "Look into the Past" section at the back of the book was very interesting, including that no one counted calor...more
Samantha Glasser
Samantha's Surprise is a Christmas story. Nellie is very poor and her family cannot afford the lavish celebration that Samantha's family can, but Samantha is determined to share the wealth as much as possible so everyone has a great holiday. Uncle Gard comes to town and spoils his favorite niece with an extra special gift.

This book really concentrates on the variances between social classes, and the way things have changed in only 100 years. It made me appreciate what I had and also more curious...more
Taylor
samantha has high hopes for the best Christmas ever! things begin to go wrong when uncle Gard anouncesw he is bringing his beautiful Corneliea home for the holidays. Everyone is paying so much attention to her and no attention to Samantha, and her wish for the doll on the window of schofeild's toy store. But when christmas morning FINALLY comes she has a little surprise waiting for her!! This book brings the holiday joy to you and make you want it to be Crhistmas right when you are reading it!!
Littlevision
I have a crush on Uncle Gard. He drives a car, which is ultra-badass for the time period, and when Samantha gives him clues about what the gift she got him (smaller than a breadbox, cannot sing or do handsprings, is part green, can close up, cannot be ridden, and would look silly on my head in the summer) he says that he is certain she's bought him a baby turtle. Full of win!
Lindsay
I have memories of reading this book as a child to my dad and have kept my childhood copy ever since. Samantha was my favorite American Girl. I even have her doll somewhere.
It's a cozy Christmas book that does teach people what it was like for people back in 1904. I would like to find the rest of the books if I could.
Bree
I read this aloud to my four year old over several nights as part os our Christmas reads. The story didn't quite keep her attention, and she had difficulty keeping teh characters straight (even with teh handy pictorial guide) but she was very interested in the drawings, and the photographs in the historical details at the back.
I really enjoy Christmas and I love families that go all out. I love that Samantha took the time to make everything that she was going to give each person. I always did that when I was younger. I am also glad that she realizes that Cornelia isn't bad at all. She actually is a lot of fun.
Hannah
Samantha was my favorite American girl growing up. I wish they hadn't retired the classic girls to make room for the new girls. It would have been nice if they could have kept them, so readers could examine the different perspectives of girls growing up in the same era.
Alisse
I thought that Samantha's Surprise was amazing. Samantha is very pretty and has beautiful dresses that are hand-made. Her parents died and she is living with her Grandmother. Her Grandmother (Samantha calls her Grandmary) however, is very rich and wants Samantha to be a lady.
Mary Bronson
I loved this book. It was one of my favorites! It showed how much of a huge heart Samantha has for her family and friends. She cared about them so much. She really did know one of the true meanings of Christmas.
Ashley
Reading about Samantha's Christmas made Abby and I excited for Christmas! Abby loved this one--it was all about gingerbread houses, presents, decorations, and of course a special doll. Right up Abby's alley:)
Amber
Review by Blake and Ashlyn: Really good book, very surprising. My favorite character was Uncle Gard. I think it was very very surprising, things popped everywhere when you didn't expect them.
Conley Morris
This is a good book. My favorite part of this
book was when Aunt Cornila was playing in
the snow. I like american girl books so I start-
ed reading this book and decided I liked it.
Jolisa
This a really good book.It talks about a girl name samantha and gets alot of surprises during christmas.Like new people and hoping and pleading to get this doll.Which she eventually gets.
Tiffany
I am in the American Girl bookclub. I love all the American Girl books. The bookclub meets at Barnes and Noble tonight. I am excited to go with my Aunt Raquel.
Sarah Elizabeth
This was one of my absolute favorite books when I was younger. I still reread Samantha's story around Christmastime.
Rivkah.
I read this story every year for Christmas for years and dreamed of getting my own Christmas doll...
Samantha
My first Samantha book and I really enjoyed it! I'm definitely interested in all the others.
Amy
In this one, Samantha really wants a doll that she saw in a shop window. I loved this one.
  • Changes for Samantha: A Winter Story (American Girls: Samantha, #6)
  • Samantha Learns a Lesson: A School Story (American Girls: Samantha, #2)
  • Kirsten's Surprise: A Christmas Story (American Girls: Kirsten, #3)
  • Addy's Surprise: A Christmas Story (American Girls: Addy, #3)
The Circlemaker Samantha: An American Girl Box Set Gullible Gus The Peddler's Gift Samantha Story Collection Plus Mini Doll (American Girl, Samantha Story Collection (Contains Meet Samantha; Samantha Learns A Lesson; Samantha's Surprise; Happy Birthday, Samantha; Samantha Saves The Day!; And Changes For Samantha)