Start by marking “Miss Brill” as Want to Read:
Miss Brill

Miss Brill

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  380 ratings  ·  29 reviews
The story is about Miss Brill, a middle-aged English teacher in an unnamed French vacation town. It follows her on a regular Sunday afternoon in the park, which she spends walking and sitting in the park, wearing an old but beloved fur. She sees the world as if it were a stage, and enjoys watching the people around her, often judging them condescendingly. However, she then ...more
40 pages
Published (first published 1920)

To ask other readers questions about Miss Brill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miss Brill

The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allan PoeLove, Life and Everything Else by Xunaira J.Cyborg Spell Shop by James ChalkPapap's Teeth by Danielle DeVorThe Cask of Amontillado by Edgar Allan Poe
Single Short Story
202nd out of 268 books — 173 voters
Behind the Hood by Marita A. HansenPhenomena by Susan TarrThe Bone People by Keri HulmeThe Whale Rider by Witi IhimaeraMister Pip by Lloyd Jones
Books By New Zealand Authors
365th out of 473 books — 242 voters

More lists with this book...

Petra X
Pride comes before a fall, or so the saying goes and as Miss Brill, the pompous and condescending old lady finds out when she is seen as one of those weirdo eccentrics who sit in the park and talk to herself and she suddenly realises her place in the world.

Good story, well told, very sad. I hope it doesn't happen to me.
Avalon
I liked this story because it reminded me of myself. Not because of the fur or she lives through others,but because she likes to watch others and comment on them and even create stories about them when she does not know what is going on in their lives. The ending was very sad though because that rude boy made Miss Brill think she was unloved and sent her home crying. I mean, she wasn't hurting anyone by watching them and creating her fantasies, it just made her happy.
Bridget
This is another title I was introduced to via audio - this time downloaded from LibriVox. It is from a book of short stories by Katherine Mansfield, called "The Garden Party," which I am now anxious to find.

Miss Brill is the main character in a story about a woman who visits the park in her small town every Sunday. In the springtime, their are concerts, and as she is waiting one day for one to begin, she makes observations about those around her. She is a woman of very definite opinions, leading
Kabrina
Miss Brill reminded me of myself and I was surging with happiness that an author could put in to words the feelings I get-which seem so hard to explain to people who are often completely inside their heads and overly cynical-every other day.

When I read the young couple judging her, I teared up. It cut too close to home, along with feeling bad for them attacking a person who did nothing but be.

I know what it feels like to wear something-deemed weird by many- just because you like it and to be t
Heather Rose
I see that many people find Miss Brill to be pompous and looking down her nose at the little people 'coming from their cupboards' I didnt find that at all as all these characters on the stage were so valuable to her. There is equal footing in this family of stage characters. It is heart breaking to realize that something that is integral to the happiness in your life is essentially garbage to someone else. Seems like she thought more that she shared something common with them and they were endea ...more
Kate Did
This could possibly be my favorite story ever written. Though short Mansfield manages to impart more meaning and emotion into a few short pages then most can in a epic novel. Though not the happiest of short stories it's rich images made feel almost like i was the character herself
Aghnia Yuniarto Putri
It is kinda confusing when I read this short story for the first time. But after I read this story again I can grasp the plot well. I understand this story's plot. I try to find the absurdity of humanity and I found it! The absurdity is when you judge people then you'll be judged by other people too. So, those who do bad deeds will also get bad fruits. Everyone will say that "I've ever feel that way too" after read Miss Brill's story.
Heather
Mar 20, 2008 Heather rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: literary fans
Recommended to Heather by: Prof. Handley
Miche Hart
A beautifully sad story about a woman who doesn't belong in society. She criticizes and pities others for being odd, silent, outsiders and then realises that she herself is an odd, silent, outsider. Beautiful symbolism and comparisons.
Khánh
One of the very first short stories in English that I've had the chance to come across during my English class in high school, it still haunts me to this day. "Miss Brill" is a little tale of modern alienation, our universal need to connect with one another and the fear of being judged because of one's "perceived" flaws, all of which are themes that have always attracted me. In a way, the titular Miss Brill is represented by the fur that she wears on her, which others see as "a stupid old thing" ...more
Esraa Diab
Miss Birll ^^
why on earth i love Miss birll? I don't know -.-
i just loved this short story and didn't think twice in giving it 5 points..

Miss Birll is a true example of how community deals with old people and how they think about themselves.
old people are very simple, if they knew that people are paying attention to them they will be so happy. however, even this little thing we take it away from them!

selfishness is all what we can describe our actions with them with. we neglect them, make fun o
Jennifer M. Hartsock
This is another story where the character seems very nice and polite. I feel badly for her that she sees her fur as being sad in the box, but she gets so embarrassed by other’s criticism that she puts the fur away, and it cries!

She seems to be either high-class, or middle-class; and often wears a fur necklet that isn’t very attractive. She finally receives enough criticism that she puts it away again, but once in a while takes it out to wear (and the little eyes of the head seem to be thankful,
Alice Gold
Interesting book with all sorts of critics, from Marxist to Feminist available to it. Can't wait to read more Mansfield soon!
VickySH
I enjoy loneliness but I am afraid of being a person like her in the future.
Redwan amazigh
Mansfield's "Miss Brill" illustrates the old woman's attempt to alleviate loneliness by creating an alternate reality for herself, yet she is ultimately forced to face the self-deception for what it truly is.
Evelyn
Nice story, enjoyable
Hannah
Miss Brill by Katherine Mansfield shows the hypocrisy of people and how it is so straightforward to see the faults in other peoples lives but not see anything wrong in yours. This book emphasized that by creating a precedent of that problem. Mansfield used Miss Brill as an example of how someone could be very judgmental yet not see their own flaws. Then when two people make rude remarks about her she realizes that even she is not perfect. Overall this story had a great moral and a significant po ...more
Menna Kh.
Miss Brill is one of those well narrated, sad, good stories. I wished that I would accompany Miss Brill's loneliness.
In a cruel world such as ours one can't even have the right to socialize with others, as people are prejudging and cruel.
It is rather depressing indeed. When Miss Brill, who is probably a middle class, or a bit higher, woman starts to imagine her own belongings to communicate with her.
I feel sorry for her.
Thank you, cruel world!
Наталья Yasha7
There are some books after which you feel the terror and the pain of the main heroes - you get the feel of their roles. And this is this type. After reading it you imagine yourself sitting in a dark and lonely room without future...
Bek
This is about a lady who finds a fox scarf and she is so lonely that she talks to it and everybody laughs at her so she starts to ignore the scarf and the scarf starts banging on the closet door because it wants more attention.
Heidi
A short story that shows how people can be so mean, even in ignorance. And that actions can have effects that we never know of. Sadly, this story shows the bad effects instead of the good others can do.
Matt Cowens
A beautifully crafted, wonderfully sad story about the ways we lie to ourselves, get caught up in the lives of others, and are vulnerable to even small acts of cruelty. A brittle, delicate slice of life.
Stacy
Not really my style but an okay listen. Probably more entertaining in it's original time when readers likely identified with Miss Brill as a lonely woman they knew.
Marts  (Thinker)
A simple tale about a Miss Brill's Sunday morning visit to the park, Miss Brill's got an awful habit of judging people until she overhears someone judging her...
Rasha Gazzaz
subtle stream of consciousness displaying the life of a displaced woman. insightful
An older woman goes for a walk in the park.
Emily Andrews griffin
Such a beautiful heartbreaking story.
Nicole
  • Paul's Case
  • I Stand Here Ironing
  • Hills like White Elephants
  • Everyday Use
  • Un señor muy viejo con unas alas enormes
  • The Second Common Reader
  • The Rocking Horse Winner (Travelman Classics)
  • Collected Shorter Poems, 1927-1957
  • Leonard Woolf: A Biography
  • Young Goodman Brown
  • Good Country People
  • Five Faces of Modernity
Kathleen Mansfield Murry was a prominent New Zealand modernist writer of short fiction who wrote under the pen name of Katherine Mansfield.

Katherine Mansfield is widely considered one of the best short story writers of her period. A number of her works, including "Miss Brill", "Prelude", "The Garden Party", "The Doll's House", and later works such as "The Fly", are frequently collected in short st
More about Katherine Mansfield...
The Garden Party and Other Stories The Collected Stories Stories Bliss & Other Stories In a German Pension: 13 Stories

“She had become really quite expert, she thought, at listening as though she didn't listen, at sitting in other people's lives just for a minute while they talked round her.” 8 likes