Must Love Kilts (Highlander #5)

Must Love Kilts (Highlander #5)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  351 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Margo Menlove loves everything Scottish-especially the legendary warrior hero Magnus MacBride. But while exploring in the Highlands she picks up a magical stone on the shore, and awakens to the sight of MacBride himself. And the reality may be much more dangerous-and passionate-than her dreams could ever be.
Published January 1st 2011 by Signet Book (first published December 3rd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Must Love Kilts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Must Love Kilts

Sandy M
I don’t know why I keep torturning myself with these Allie MacKay books. This is my third one. The first two were dismal failures for me, so I skipped
however many were next for a while. Then I received this book for review, felt obligated to read it, and though it’s a slight improvement over those first couple, there’s still something about this author’s writing that just leaves me uninspired and disconnected. Time to end the torture.

The prologue in this book at first gave me hope that what I wo...more
smexys_sidekick (Tori-Smexybooks)
Originally posted at http://www.smexybooks.com/2011/01/rev...

Margo Menlove lives for everything Scottish. When she happens upon a book detailing the life of Magnus MacBride she is determined to find out everything she can about this highland hero. A chance winning of a trip to Scotland is a dream come true but the trip proves to be disappointing as Margo is fast tracked through the tour. When a walk through town transports Margo back in time she awakens to find herself in the middle of Magnus fi...more
Laurie
Tonileg
I love Scotland but this is not the book to read if you want to learn more about it. I borrowed this book from the library and I loved the cover and the idea of the title so I started out really optimistic... unfortunately I almost gave up half way. I couldn't get into the mind of Margo and I doubt that she could have understood the language of the time, but I generally avoid realism in my romance novels, even so, it threw me off too many times to care to finish the story. So I couldn't even giv...more
Barbara ★
This is not even remotely as good as Allie Mackay's previous books. In fact, it's downright terrible.

Magnus's fiance was killed by Vikings and he is on the warpath to avenge her and kill Sigurd Sword Breaker. Five years into his vengeance, he is cursed by a witch to find love again but to never be able to claim the woman. When Margo appears butt-naked out of thin air during a battle with said Vikings (who promptly disappear), Magnus in a berserker-type rage turns on her and verbally abuses her a...more
Tina
Margo Menlove loves all things Scottish. She specializes in knowing the most about Scotland and is entering a contest to win a trip to the land of her dreams. She longs to meet a man like Magnus McBride, a warrior from 1250 who was perfect in her mind. But she has to win the trip first. When she does and gets magically transported to the time of Magnus, the real fun begins.

Warrior Magnus McBride lives in olden Scotland. He is shocked when he sees a naked woman walking out of the surf toward him....more
Bookaholics
Must Love Kilts by Allie MacKay
Paranormal Romance – Jan 4th, 2010
4 stars

The author really loves Scotland and this shines in her romance. The hero is brawny and super sexy.

Magnus MacBride is on his way to his fiancée when he discovers the entire village has been ransacked and everyone is dead, including his sweet, innocent fiancée. He vows revenge. When he murders one of the men involved, the man’s sister curses him with a longing for a woman he can never have. Magnus begins to have visions of a...more
Jocelin
First, let me say this; Ms. Mackay you are a talented writer. I thought that you crafted a well-thought idea into a novel. The flow of your story was extremely easy to read and it was consistent.
Now, to the heart of this review; even though this was a thought out book it was very boring. First, I really did like the idea of the main character in this book being an avid lover of all things Scottish. She lived and breathed Scotland. This was the only thing that I liked about her. I found it very h...more
Trudy Miner
Margo Leeanne Menlove of New Hope, PA, has been a life-long Scotophile, living, eating, sleeping everything Scottish. When she wins a trip to Scotland little does she know that her every fantasy was about to come true. While walking down a dirt track to see the real Scotland, Margo picks up another stone to take home with her and notices an evil presence enveloping her. In a wink, she's transported back to medieval Scotland and to the presence of Magnus MacBride who's in the middle of a fierce b...more
Juana "Darkness" Duran
Margo lives and breaths Scotland. Magnus has lost his love to the Vikings. Or so he thought. When a drawing for a prize gives Margo a ticket to Scotland, thanks to her friends, she is so happy. But the tour is done so fast that Margo has no time to get pictures so she picks up stones. Magnus feels like he is cursed which he is thanks to Donata Greer. Magnus has seen Margo a couple times and feels like he needs her so much. A witch and a cursing stone later has Margo in Scotland naked and in Magn...more
Leah
For those of you who believe you were born in the wrong moment, that you are connected to another time and place, that a part of your soul aches from memories just out of your mind's reach, this book is for you. It's a story of hope and trust and belief. A heroine who knows who and what she wants and a hero who learns to deal with a past fraught with anger and revenge, so there is room for trust and love. Not only will Margo and Magnus steal your heart, the secondary characters will weave themse...more
Terree
It wasn't my favorite in this time travelling series, but I still liked it. It is a fun weekend read. I'm looking forward to the next one :)
Mariah
I don't normally read books in which time travel is involved but I did read this one, it kept me coming back for more. It was very interesting, a girl who loves Scotland, a highlander, and an evil witch sums it up nicely.
E. R.
I had the intention to read this thoroughly, but I just skimmed through it. My expression of the book is positive. The premise is that the heroine LOVES everything about Scotland. From a book, she saw a picture of the hero & fell in love, or in lust, with him. With a time-travel twist, the heroine travels to the hero's side. Add in a curse, some hunky Highlander friends, a dog, and revenge.

The cover is also a PLUS.
Misfit
Jan 08, 2011 Misfit marked it as thinking-about-it  ·  review of another edition
Harriet says: "The story line is brisk and fun, but lacks intensity, which is ironic as he is a raging berserker and she is extremely passionate regarding Scottish. Still fans will enjoy the M to the fourth power romance between the medieval highlander and the twenty-first century fanatic."

Thank goodness the library doesn't have it. I might have been tempted.
Rebecca (everyday reader)
A different spin on time travel from present day to the Scottish highlands in the heart of Viking days. Margo is one of those rare people who is born way out of her time. Magnus is a warrior and blood-thirsty, but a lover through and through. When they finally meet fireworks fly from both parties. True love once found never dies. Good message and Great read!!
Regan
Okay, so this is probably THE BEST cover I've seen since my latest one -- seriously, he's delicious and I keep turning back to oogle him instead of reading.

Seriously, this book starts out with a highly emotional scene that just grabs you from the first word.

********

This book just got better and better. It is the best of this series!
Sherry
Picked this book up as filler because the books I were waiting for had not come in yet. It was okay for a romance book I like a little more depth in the story and a greater character line up. I didn't really connect with any of the characters and the story was quite flat. I won't be picking up anymore books in the series. Too bland for my tastes.
Kaelyn Diaz
I honestly didn't like it. It took forever for the heroine to actually meet the guy. By page 104 they still haven't met. When they did meet, it was all to fast. It would have been a great book, it had alot of potential. But it was disappointing. Even though I will read more books of this author. I won't have high expectations anymore.
Annette
Short and easy read. I had this one read in a matter of hours.
It's your basic story of going back in time and falling love, kill of the bad guy...(witch).
I didn't mind it. It's your typical time travel romance of Scotland/ Highlander.
Richelle
I have always loved these books. Such cute stories and they wisk me away to far away lands, hundreds of years ago. I can relate to the main character in this story so much. I hate that I have to wait until 2012 for the next book.
Audrey02
I did not realize this was the second in a series, but was still a good stand alone book. The fantasy part of this story was a little bit out of my confort zone, but the sexy vicking era scot made up for that :)
Kristine
Cute story. I liked that we see an actual progression in time along with the relationship. Margo did feel a little needy, but in the end, she found her spine and "strength and courage" and did what needed to be done.
Beth
Very well done time travel book back to ancient Scotland. I would have liked it better if there had been more of the story in Scotland than Pennsylvania.

Good trashy romance read.
Donna Wilson
I really loved this book. I didn't expect it to pull me in the way it did. I had a very hard time putting it down. I will be checking out some of Allie Mackay's other books as well.
Tegan Genone darkhaven
I love this book Margo and Magnus that man is sexy Alfa male ghosts!!! Her books just hit home with me, every word I read I feel just like I there.
Kimberly
I Loved this read!! This is just what I want in a good Highland Time Travel Romance! I will be sure to read the others in this series.
Kendra
Thoroughly enjoyed this one. It follows the other story with the sister who adores Scotland, so it was a much more enjoyable read.
Angela
I didn't care for it. Not paranormal enough for me. Really slow, only made it through half way, got too bored with it.
Shelie
Geez, I am embarassed that I read this book. A cheap cheesy romance has to have some expectations right?
  • A Highlander's Temptation (MacKenzie, #7)
  • Warrior of the Isles (Men of the Isles, #2)
  • Devil's Highlander (Clan MacAlpin #1)
  • Healing the Highlander (Daughters of the Glen, #7)
  • Highland Dream (Highland Dream, #1)
  • Highlander's Challenge (Challenge, #1)
  • The Highlander's Heart (Highlander #2)
  • Fate's Monolith (MacLomain, #1)
  • The Mammoth Book of Scottish Romance
  • The Highlander's Forbidden Bride (Sinclare Brothers, #4)
  • Seduced by a Rogue (Galloway Trilogy, #2)
  • Beloved Highlander
aka Sue Ellen Welfonder

Allie Mackay is the alter ego of USA Today bestselling author, Sue-Ellen Welfonder, who writes Scottish medieval romances www.welfonder.com. A former flight attendant of Scottish descent, she spent fifteen years living in Europe and still makes annual visits to Scotland. Most inspired by the wild places of Scotland’s far north, she is also fascinated by the paranormal, Scott...more
More about Allie Mackay...
Highlander In Her Bed (Highlander, #1) Highlander in Her Dreams (Highlander #2) Some Like it Kilted (Highlander #4) Tall, Dark and Kilted (Highlander #3) Haunted Warrior (Highlander, #6)