Start by marking “Sin's Dark Caress (Dark Brethren, #3)” as Want to Read:
Sin's Dark Caress (Dark Brethren, #3)

Sin's Dark Caress (Dark Brethren #3)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  173 ratings  ·  30 reviews
An ancient darkness has risen from the ashes . . . and terror has been loosed upon an unsuspecting world.

Forensic witch Bianca Sin has never seen anything like it: homeless teenage girls torn to pieces by dark magic in the cold shadows of the city. More terrifying still is the symbol written in blood on an alley wall—the unmistakable seal of the Dark Brethren.

Teaming up wi
Paperback, Mass Market, 336 pages
Published July 31st 2012 by HarperCollins Canada / Science Fictio

To ask other readers questions about Sin's Dark Caress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sin's Dark Caress

Lover Reborn by J.R. WardOnce Burned by Jeaniene FrostIced by Karen Marie MoningDeadlocked by Charlaine HarrisBiting Cold by Chloe Neill
Most Anticipated Books of 2012! {PNR, UF & PNYA}
419th out of 621 books — 1,786 voters
Insurgent by Veronica RothReached by Ally CondieFinale by Becca FitzpatrickThe Golden Lily by Richelle MeadFever by Lauren DeStefano
2012 Releases
84th out of 145 books — 86 voters

More lists with this book...

Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
It has been a while since I have read something in the Urban Fantasy genre and I've missed it. Having read Night's Cold Kiss and Death's Sweet Embrace last year I jumped at the opportunity to read Sin's Dark Caress as part of the AWW (Australian Women Writers) challenge I am participating in and was quickly drawn back into O'Hara's dark fantasy world.
Forensic witch Dr Bianca Sin features in this installment, called in by NYPD homicide detective Lancelot McManus when young women are found brutall
Scooper Speaks
Favorite Lines: "Bianca followed him back to the body and dropped to a squat. Dark blond hair was tacky with drying blood that pooled around the dead girl's head, and her lower abdomen was just an empty cavity." (p. 6, egalley)

Tracey O'Hara's Dark Brethren series gets better with each book. I didn't fall in love with book one, Night's Cold Kiss. It was okay, but I didn't really think about it after I read it. Book two, Death's Sweet Embrace, felt like a totally different series. I read it quickl
Addictive
Although Sin’s Dark Caress didn’t have any sex or any sexual tension for that matter (although the author did try), I enjoyed reading the 3rd in The Dark Brethren series. There was just so much going on that it was hard to miss what wasn’t there. But of course it was not labeled as a romance, nor was it labeled as having any kind of romantic element it in.
The plot was unmistakably riveting. I was so engrossed; I was hard-pressed to concentrate on my real life. My mind was always going back to
Tamara
This was not as good as the rest of the books in this series. The characters seemed more two dimensional, and the story (what little of it there was) was pretty typical. In fact the whole book seemed to be about the main character being amazed that she had a dragon and the other main character and his substance abuse issues. What should have been the main story ended up being a B story and there wasn't a lot to it. This wasn't the worst thing that I've read recently but it wasn't anywhere near t ...more
Stacy
I gave it 3.5 stars

Book 1 of the Dark Brethren NIGHT'S COLD KISS remains my favorite of the series. It did a fabulous job of drawing me into the story so that I wanted to read more of what would come in the series. Book 3 SIN'S DARK CARESS was a good addition to the series. It follows Bianca Sin and Lancelot McManus as they investigate a string of mysterious crimes.

The other two books were heavy on the relationship front but SIN'S DARK CARESS is more about the story and mystery then relationship
Stephanie
Well...

The first thing I really wish is that the characters were more consistent. Each book has been about a new two characters. However, book 2 did a bit better incorporating the previous characters than this one did. Also, I can't even begin to predict who the next book will be about. There is no lead in for that.

I really missed the main characters from the last two books. I got to know them so well...and then this book pretty much just had them wave to us and had them tell us that they wouldn
Kt
Review originally posted on my blog: A Book Obsession..

As a forensic witch, Sin sees a lot of horrible nasty things, but her latest case may just be the worst. Girls are being torn apart as their unborn children are ripped from their wombs by the darkest magic. They carry the mark of the Dark Brethren, the darkest force imaginable. She partners up with her longtime friend, detective McManus and a special ops task force to get to the bottom of these brutal rituals before the unimaginable happens
Dottie
A dark, graphic tale! Taken from my review at RomanceJunkies.com:

Bianca Sin, a forensic witch, had so far been unable to bond with a familiar so her powers were not fully developed. But after being called out to the site of a dead homeless girl whose body had been cleaved in half by dark magic and her baby removed from her body, things began to rapidly change. She knew that this was particularly bad, especially when she saw the sign that had been drawn in blood by the body…the seal of the Black
Jessica (a GREAT read)
I received this ARC from the publisher via Edelweiss

Tracey O'Hara's Sin's Dark Caress was phenomenal! This series is really turning out to be a good one! It doesn't follow the standard series format where we see the same characters again and again, and I kind of like that! It's how I'm formatting my series as well!

So we meet Bianca Sin this time around, she's a forensic witch, working on murder cases where magic was involved and using her abilities to try find clues from the magic left behind. H
Tez
Pregnant young women are murdered, their foetuses removed, with the Dark Brethren's mark left as a signature. The Womb Raider case has Detective Lancelot McManus and forensic thaumaturgist Dr Bianca Sin investigating the links between the victims, and predicting whom will be next.

It's safe to say that the Dark Brethren series has entered bonkers territory. Weird shiz makes me laugh, keeps me entertained, so I'm happy to go along on this ride. But be warned - there are talking dragons. I'm used t
Iris (Paranormal Cravings Book Reviews)
The pace is brisk and intense. The story has betrayal and action, with plot twists to give great entertainment, but alas NO romance!

(view spoiler)
Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews
*Rating* 3.0-3.5
*Genre* Paranormal Romance

*Review*

Sin’s Dark Caress, book three in the Dark Brethren series, surrounds Forensic witch Dr. Bianca Sin who is called to the scene of a crime after a woman appears to have been torn apart from the inside out. It appears she had given birth to a new born baby that is now missing and the Dark Brethren's mark is painted nearby in blood.

Sin teams up with her former love interest NYPD homicide detective Lancelot McManus who just happens to be addicted to a
Debbie
Aug 15, 2012 Debbie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fantasy/supernatural reader
Recommended to Debbie by: picked up the ARC for Night's Cold Kiss
Sin’s Dark Caress(Dark Brethren,#3), Tracey O’Hara, Dr. Bianca Sin is a witch with a secret not even she's aware she possess. Bianca partners up with a detective McManus who appears to be human and also so obviously her love interest. They have a really heinous crime spree to solve and it involves the Dark Brethren. Calling the crime the Womb Robbers, its really disturbing. This was a decent mystery set in the supernatural genre. This was also the third in the series. I really like the way O'Har ...more
Darcy
I was really looking forward to this book as I have liked what I've read so far in this series. Right away I found myself confused, there were too many new characters and things weren't explained very well. I quick switched to read the definitions in the back, hoping that would help, but no luck. I didn't care for McManus, I hated his drugged and drinking ways, especially considering that he was a cop. I was ambivalent on Bianca, the most interesting thing about her was her new familiar. I found ...more
Ozsaur
Nicely suspenseful book in the Dark Brethren Series. The plot was intriguing enough that it kept my attention for the entire book. Bianca and McManus were interesting characters and I'm looking forward to getting to know them better in the next books. Oddly, McManus, who is not the main character, was better drawn than Bianca. I especially liked that the romance took a back seat to the plot. Bianca didn't spend paragraph after paragraph mooning over McManus. The balance between romance and the p ...more
Patricia
This was surprisingly good, even though also a little confusing at first. Apparently you should read the prequels first. ; )

Proper review to come, but my first thoughts:

Apparently set in an alternate universe, similiar to The Hollows/Sookie Stackhouse series, though a little darker - More like the Kate Daniels novels or even Unbound.

Strong structures, heroine is a witch; hero is a cop with a drug problem and crappy past.

Women are being killed, their babies stolen (to be sacrificed)

Really loved
Michelle
I really do like this series, however, I wish we could go back to get more of Antoinette and Christian. I guess when I read what I consider to be urban fantasy, I'd like there to be a central group of people (usually two, but I'd settle for four) in the story line. I'd rather follow their exploits than to always introduce new characters. Yeah, I guess I'm selfish like that.

I did enjoy this story for the most part...however, the ending was so abrupt. I kept thinking that I must've missed a few p
Michelle

Helen
This is such a great read MS O'Hara is building a great world that gets more intriguing with each book. Although there is not a big romance in this one the pull between McManus and Bianca is there and you can really feel the sparks between the two as they join forces and fight the Dark Bretheran as they make their way back into the world. The Black Magic is growing and I look forward to more books in this series.
A great read that will keep you turning pages late into the night
Anna
review was [posted at http:vampchix.blogspot.com

I was sent this for review and did not have the benefit of reading the first two books but I did enjoy this one. I am planning on going back to read the previous books, but I think most readers will like this even if they haven't started at the beginning. The UF world is well crafted and original, with plenty of deceptions and betrayal to keep you guessing.
Brittany Biddy
Although no sex it was a very good book. The action made up for it immensely. I also liked that the main character McManus wasn't the perfect poster child. He had issues and not just past issues. Present with the drug addiction. Makes him seem more real. But I'm wondering is there going to be a next book?? Maybe about Oberon (very much hope so), he's a character I definitely like to sink my teeth into!!
Emoore0916

Hmmm I think I'm still wanting and looking for Antoinette and Christian....and I keep coming back for more nothing. This one I seemed to think something was going to happen but it never did......the story seemed to be all over the place, but came together in the end. 3.5 stars.....bring Antoinette back
Sandra Berryman
Didn't read the first 2 books in the series, but this one was very good. Forensic witch with some great twists and turns,little romance but story line that kept me page turning. Would recommend for a different type of read, urban fantasy that didn't fall into a set category.
Sandra
This is a very dark and gritty series. I would have liked a little more romance between Bianca and McManus but the story was good and Bianca is much more rounded, mature and likeable than the heroine of the other Dark Brethen book I read ( No 1).
Mel Teshco
Sep 11, 2012 Mel Teshco rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: paranormal and UF lovers
Totally loved the hero in this book and the writing was solid, entertaining and fun. Want to read another installment, the dragons!!!!! (need I say more!)
Pamela
Rated 3.5
Review courtesy of Romance Junkies: http://romancejunkiesreviews.com/artm...
Dr susan
Sin's Dark Caress is a decent story with some transition problems. I liked Bianca Sin and her partner.
Jolene gregel
i think it's the best in the series so far.
  • Guardian Demon (The Guardians, #8)
  • Darklands (Deadtown, #4)
  • The Shifting Price of Prey (Spellcrackers.com, #4)
  • A Sliver of Shadow (Abby Sinclair, #2)
  • Vengeance Moon (Earth Witches, #2)
  • Eventide (Dark Ink Chronicles, #3)
  • Blood Before Sunrise (Shaede Assassin, #2)
  • A Demon Does It Better (Hex, #6)
  • Stalking the Others (H&W Investigations, #4)
  • Midnight Enchantment (Dark Magick, #4)
  • Boyfriend in a Bottle (In a Bottle, #1)
  • Devil's Punch (Corine Solomon, #4)
  • Dragon Justice (Paranormal Scene Investigations #4)
  • Deliverance (Mortal Path, #3)
  • Wrong Side of Dead (Dreg City, #4)
  • The Half-Breed Vampire (Sons of Midnight #3)
  • Secret Santa (Secret McQueen #2.5)
  • Switchblade Goddess (Jessie Shimmer, #3)
Tracey O'Hara was born in Tasmania, Australia, but actually grew up in North and Far North Queensland. She discovered a passion for writing when researching her family history and started with an Australian colonial saga.

She grew up reading Stephen King, Raymond E. Feist, Frank Herbert, Isaac Asimov, and J. R. R. Tolkien, and developed her taste for adventure and the paranormal thriller. Her love
More about Tracey O'Hara...

Dark Brethren (3 books)
  • Night's Cold Kiss (Dark Brethren, #1)
  • Death's Sweet Embrace (Dark Brethren #2)
Night's Cold Kiss (Dark Brethren, #1) Death's Sweet Embrace (Dark Brethren #2) Dante Rising: The Birth of a Venator (A Dark Brethren Prequel) The Final Wish: Hot Down Under Darla (Secret Confessions: Sydney Housewives, #11)