Start by marking “Places To Be, People To Kill” as Want to Read:
Places To Be, People To Kill

Places To Be, People To Kill

3.47  ·  Rating Details  ·  72 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Assassins-are they born or made? Do they choose this role out of necessity, because they are forced to, or because they enjoy killling? And what do they do in their spare time?

These are just a few of the questions answered in this all-original collection of twelve tales by fantasy's finest-focusing on killers of all kinds. From Vree, Tanya Huff's well-known assassin from
Published June 5th 2007 by Penguin Group (USA) (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Places To Be, People To Kill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Places To Be, People To Kill

Stefan Yates
Dec 18, 2012 Stefan Yates rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is an enjoyable collection of tales that to be honest I only purchased for the contribution by John Marco, one of my favorite fantasy authors. Of course in any collection of tales of this sort, there are some stinkers, but overall most of the contributions are solid to top notch. All of the stories contained here deal with assassins to some extent and each author offers his/her own unique spin. Some of the tales deal with assassins on their day off, some with the experience of first time ki ...more
Vicky
May 24, 2011 Vicky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
In this anthology, we are given twelve different stories by twelve different authors but with one theme uniting them all – assassins. The genres include science fiction, fantasy, contemporary, and horror. Like all anthologies, there were some I liked, some I didn't care much for, but not because of the writing. Each story is well crafted and well-written. Because we are dealing with assassins, some touch on the macabre and are a little too graphic for me – but that is a personal issue and not on ...more
Cyn Armistead
I enjoyed this anthology more than one might expect from a collection of stories about killers, but then I've read a couple of volumes edited by Brittiany A. Koren and Martin H. Greenberg now, and I trust the pair. (Greenberg has turned out so many anthologies that I don't assume anything at all when I see his name.)

I had to explain to my family why I kept laughing while reading "Exactly" by Tanya Huff. I'm a long-time fan of her work, so was already familiar with sibling assassins Vree and Ban
Amy
Mar 09, 2009 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Here we go, a book that didn't make me wonder why I bought it! I do like short story anthologies, and the assassin is a good choice for a collection. As is usual for anthologies, there's a mix of stories that I really liked, ones that were alright, and those that hit me as "meh". Happily, the "liked" list outweighed the "meh". Yey for anthologies!
Mysteryfan
An interesting assortment of short stories about assassins. Some are funny, some are clever, some spooky, some unexpected. Some of them are written by authors I haven't read before, but I'll definitely look up others stories by them.
Lady Entropy

Uma colectânea de contos sobre assassinos, que me deixou (depois do The Man of the Diogenes Club) bastante...blah. Alguns contos eram engraçados, alguns eram legíveis, e alguns metidos a martelo e rascas.

Para a pilha do "A dar".
Riva
Jun 20, 2012 Riva rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The common idea of the stories, killers and assassins on different situation, is quite interesting and the book has some really good stories but, on the other hand, some others are quite subpar, so I can't give it more than three stars.
Gerald Sessions
Aug 21, 2011 Gerald Sessions rated it it was amazing
Like all grouping of short stories, some are better than others, but I have to say did not find one that I did not like or found difficult to finish. A great grouping. Enjoyed them all.
Schnaucl
It was okay. None of the stories really stood out as being exceptionally good or bad. A solid anthology, but not one I feel a need to keep.
Nora
Jun 29, 2011 Nora rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tanya Huff's short story was the best (and the funniest) but all of them were pretty good.
Deyara
Great anthology, loved the concept, and liked that the stories were from a mix of genres.
Gabriele
Gabriele marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Gitte
Gitte marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Roxanne
Roxanne rated it liked it
Jun 21, 2016
Manar
Manar marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
BookeWyrm
BookeWyrm marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Sarah rated it really liked it
May 09, 2016
Belinda
Belinda marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Misty D Hiles
Misty D Hiles marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Asad
Asad rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2016
ladymurmur
ladymurmur marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
Ambra Vronskaja
Ambra Vronskaja marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2016
Draco
Draco added it
Mar 07, 2016
Andrew H Levin
Andrew H Levin marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
Hypertwo
Hypertwo marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
kashiichan
kashiichan marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Donn Garves
Donn Garves marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Angelia
Angelia marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2016
  • Enchanted Forests
  • Treachery and Treason
  • The Wild Side: Urban Fantasy with an Erotic Edge
  • Dagger's Edge
  • Turn the Other Chick (Chicks in Chainmail, #5)
Martin Harry Greenberg was an American academic and speculative fiction anthologist. In all, he compiled 1,298 anthologies and commissioned over 8,200 original short stories. He founded Tekno Books, a packager of more than 2000 published books. In addition, he was a co-founder of the Sci-Fi Channel.
More about Martin H. Greenberg...