Start by marking “The Smoke Thief (Drakon Series #1)” as Want to Read:
The Smoke Thief (Drakon Series #1)

The Smoke Thief (Drakon #1)

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  6,191 Ratings  ·  522 Reviews
For centuries they've lived in secret among northern England's green and misted hills. Creatures of extraordinary beauty, power, and sensuality, they possess the ability to shape-shift from human to dragon and back again. Now their secret - and their survival - is threatened by a temptation that will break every boundary....

Dubbed the Smoke Thief, a daring jewel thief is c
Published September 27th 2005 by Bantam (first published September 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Smoke Thief, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

The Holy Terror
May 07, 2016 The Holy Terror rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of historical romance and/or fantasy and/or dragons
I wasn't sure how a historical romance with dragon-shifter characters was going to play out; it could have been really cheesy. Fortunately, I was pleasantly surprised with this one. The author blended magic, romance, and a historical setting with this cat-and-mouse story seamlessly. I was completely drawn into the world and characters and I can't wait to read more about the drakon now.

Clarissa Rue Hawthorne is a halfling; have Other (human) and half Drakon (dragon). She's an outsider in her comm
Eastofoz
Jun 04, 2009 Eastofoz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers looking for a magical romance with a wicked h/h
Recommended to Eastofoz by: new_user
Out of all the romance novels I’ve read I can’t believe I bypassed this gem for as long as I have. Talk about a hidden treasure, and to think I was skeptical as to whether or not it’d be not only a good story but a “decent” romance (!) I wasn’t too keen on the paranormal aspect and the book’s back blurb doesn’t do it justice. Often the back blurbs make the book out to be more than what it is, but this one couldn’t be more understated.

This story is like a lush and juicy peach. Abé is a master sto
Rane
May 15, 2009 Rane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rane by: new_user
When it comes to romance novels that deals with paranormal or along those lines of magic etc. I've pretty much given up on. From my POV mostly, you can only do so much with vampires, werewolves and shape shifters before things get old- quick.

So picking up Smoke Thief was taking a lump of salt and digging in and to be surprised on how much I loved it!

Shana Abe writes her story with an ebb and flow to it, that sweeps you along for the ride. I loved the historical setting of her book and the st
AH
This book was an absolute pleasure to read. It was wonderful. It was thrilling. I thoroughly enjoyed being swept away to a magical world where the drakon (dragon shifters) live amongst us.

The Smoke Thief is set in the 1750’s so it also has the richness and textures of that time period. The author creates a world where a group of people can shift into beautiful, majestic dragons. I loved so many things about this book. The flying sequences were phenomenal. When the drakon shift into their dragon
Lisa Kay
White Dragon
I have a shelf on GoodReads entitled “take-flight” that I use for all sort of things: airplane pilots, angels, dragons. Or in this case, drákon . These mythical breasts are beautifully, if fiercely, portrayed in Ms. Abe’s book. I love the descriptions of they flights.
It felt…exhilarating. Even with him there, it felt like liberty, like she need never touch the ground again.

The sun began to set and the entire sky kindled to flame, suspending them in wild pink and cherry and orange, colors so bu
Monty Cupcake ☠ Queen of Bloodshed ☠
Not what I expected. It started out interesting. It starts with Rue at age 12. Rue is an outcast in the dragon community she lives in because she's a halfing. They treat her like a peasant. All dragons have to live in the dragon community, no other options. Any who leave, called runners, are brought back and punished. Rue drowns at age 17.

Ten years later....guess what, she's not dead. She's the Smoke Thief and the only female dragon able to turn into a dragon in forever. And turn into smoke - t
Katyana
Sep 18, 2010 Katyana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Katyana by: new_user
I really enjoyed this book - basically just chewed through it until it was done. There wasn't much in the way of fleshed-out secondary characters, but I didn't mind. The development of Kit and Rue was so well-done and rounded that I didn't miss a strong secondary cast.

They were really great, complex characters. Rue, desperate to fit in... honestly, I have to wonder if she didn't become such a flamboyant, notorious thief - as they said in the book, the Council knew it HAD to be a dragon - because
Rachel
Jan 09, 2011 Rachel rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
~Tina~
Dec 23, 2010 ~Tina~ rated it it was amazing
I've wanted to try a historical romance for some time now and didn't have much luck the last time.
This, was much better.

Clarissa Rue Hawthorne as always been an outcast in the eyes of her tribe, being that she's a halfbreed. Half mortal, half dragon, she's pushed aside, tormented or ignored. It's no wonder she faked her own death when she turned at the age of 17, for that would make her the female Alpha and by there laws and traditions she would have to wed the male Alpha, which is no other then
AmyK
If being able to shift into a dragon was a super power, that would be the one I would pick. I love dragons, and reading about dragons, and I want one as a pet too!! Changing into smoke would be kind of cool too, but every time there was a shift to smoke I couldn't stop visualizing the big black smoke monster from LOST!

This book was ok, I can't say I couldn't put it down, but I didn't want to throw it across the room. There was some great writing and imagery in some parts and then there was some
Alison
Apr 16, 2009 Alison rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one. Seriously.
Recommended to Alison by: Sirin
Shelves: fiction
Zeek
Very well done! Shana Abe opens her world with a myth about dragons and brings it into the Georgian period. The story revolves around the alpha of the dragon shifting pack known as the Drakon and the woman who would become his mate.

It starts off with them as children. Clarissa is an intense, shy child born of a lower class mother. She is picked on by the supposed alpha female and her pack of meangirls until the day of her eighteenth birthday when she fakes her death and escapes the land of her a
Leah
Dear new_user,

Thank you for recommending this book to me. Seriously. If you hadn't, I probably never would have known about it. I never would have met Kit and Rue, who were terrific together, and Zane, who was so adorable. Through this recommendation, I think I've found a series that I can really love. Hell, I already ordered the rest of the books from Amazon. You rock, nu!

xoxo
Leah

*~*~*

So, as mentioned above, I loved this book. It was great. I haven't read many books about dragon shifters, so th
Cynthia
Jan 21, 2010 Cynthia rated it liked it
Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms)
[Edit July 24, 2015 - Re-read again (first read in 2011)and just finished the entire series again. I love this series and the world Shana Abe has created. She captures the essence of what it would feel like to fly as a dragon but also what it would feel like to become SMOKE. Although I love the entire series, this first book is my favorite. If you love fantasy, dragons, beautiful worlds hidden within the real one, romance, sex but well done and not smutty - give this book a try. ][Extra note - I ...more
Wicked Incognito Now
Oct 06, 2010 Wicked Incognito Now rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Wicked Incognito Now by: Shannon Doerfler
Stupid book!! I couldn't put it down all day!!

I loved the emotional intensity, the magical quality of the descriptions, the love story....

Even though the love story is grounded in a fated mate situation, I still bought the love these two feel for each other. Even though Kit steamrolls over Rue, I was still completely enthralled by their situation and their love for each other.

Fantastic!
Fani
I liked this book very much, but I did not love it as many others have. My main problems were:
1. The story seemed to drag a little around the middle with the hero and heroine saying the same lines over and over for way too long. Luckily, it soon picked up again.
2. The hero was not very likable; he did not come as trully sympathetic to the heroine.
3. The heroine distrusted him until the very end: that did not make for a plausible HEA for me.
4. The building of the 'drakon' world and the mystery o
Laura Lulu
Laurie
Dec 18, 2008 Laurie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Laurie by: Racheal Routt
I thoroughly enjoyed this book! It wasn’t what I was expecting at all. In fact when my friend handed it to me I honestly didn’t know what genre it was. She usually gives me stuff that's YA... this book however is DEFINITELY not YA. *wink* I thought it was a really fun read. The plot and characters are very well developed. The author has a beautiful way of writing; not over detailed but exquisite to read. And the Alpha male…. WHOA… All hail alpha! So far my favorite in the series.

Karyn
"Imagine a place so ripe and thick with the promise of magic that the very air breathes in plumes of pearl and gray and smoky blue; that the trees bow with the weight of their heavy branches, dipping low to the ground, dropping needles and leaves into beds of perfume" - Thus begin the first lines of The Smoke Thief, the story of the mysterious race of half-human half-dragon, and from there it only gets better.

This book is about Clarissa Rue Hawthorne, who as a half breed Drakon child is pretty
Krishna *needs a pink katana*
Oh gawd, another abusive relationship dressed up in Regency ballgowns. The sad part was that I was enjoying it in the beginning and then came the scene of extremely dubious consent. WE ARE NOT PLEASED.

Me in the beginning:

In the middle of the book:

By the end:

Kathy
Dec 08, 2009 Kathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kathy by: nu_user
I came home from work, grabbed a handful of cashews (um, dinner), fed the dogs and the son, and dove in to finish. This was great. Love, thieves, London, sex, dragons. I mean, what more could you ask for?
Purplepaperreader
hmmm, just didn't get this one. Which is too bad because based on the first 1/3 of the book I thought I would really like it. I understand that in any type of romance there is some conflict that the hero and heroine must overcome for their love to bloom - common plot device, right? Sure, got it.

Now, one of the forms this conflict can often take is a big, blustery alpha male who tries to steam role over our heroine and bend her to his will. Of course, this is only until he realizes that his love
Ladiibbug
Jun 10, 2009 Ladiibbug rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Paranormal Romance Fans
Recommended to Ladiibbug by: EastofOz
#1 Drakon series - Paranormal Historical Romance

Shana Abe is incredibly gifted with words. Her story and characters pulled me in right away, and the superb writing was icing on the cake.

I can't recall reading anything quite like this -- The Smoke Thief for me had kind of a fairy tale quality to it. Maybe it was the magic / paranormal elements of the story, with the Drakon being able to Turn from human to smoke to dragon.

This is one of those rare books that I'll remember in years to come for the
Chambodia
Apr 25, 2009 Chambodia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
As I was reading this, I kept wondering if this was a real book or if I had been punked. I liked the idea of Rue, at first. This was after slogging through the introductory chapter that had nothing to do with the rest of the novel. Once the "romance" began, it became a more and more tedious read. These authors keep setting me up to like their strong women protagonists, and then they turn into mush.

I always feel sad when I dislike a book so much and then see (Book 1) after the title. Who wants m
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
This book was incredible. I love the premise of a race of humans who can transform into dragons (or vice versa). Christoff was a sexy, dangerous hero who stakes his claim on his Smoke Thief Clarissa right away. What a vivid, wonderful book.
Nisha
I liked the shape-shifting. I even get dreams about it. but then they're naked... Anyway, a good read. I did not expect that, from a dragon-shapeshifting book. Not my favorite hero, but he had a lot on his plate.
-------The real review--------------
While I enjoyed reading this book and even continued to read the next book, I didn't like the H/H. Then again, I read this when I was not so into paranormal romances and picked it up thinking it was YA. big surprise.

Rue was kinda whiny, despite being i
Michele (Reading Lark/CanadianTwiMom)
May 07, 2012 Michele (Reading Lark/CanadianTwiMom) rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Michele (Reading Lark/CanadianTwiMom) by: Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) Martin

My review can also be found on Reading Lark After Dark: http://readinglarkafterdark.blogspot....

The Smoke Thief was a truly magical and wonderful read! Even though this is considered an historical romance novel (and man... is there romance...), I think the argument could be made that it could also be labelled more of a FANTASY romance (did I mention there is romance?...oh yes, I did... silly me.)

You see, even though the story is set in the 1700's, the fantastical element is very centra
Barbara
Oct 26, 2009 Barbara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2 Stars...It was ok...

Based on the reviews...

*Romantic Times Bookclub..."Historical Romance Of The Year"...Abe pulls out all the stops...An enthralling tale."

*Karen Marie Moning..."Spellbinding, Dazzling...Pure Magic from start to finish."

Ummm...I don't think so!

I almost went against a well learned lesson...I just about bought both books in this series before reading one first...I'm so glad I didn't.

"The Smoke Thief" wasn't an awful read, but it was so very far from "spellbinding and dazzling".

T
Jeanine
First I have to say that I usually do not read anything dubbed "Historical" anything. If it weren't for my friend Terry (literally since she sent me both The Smoke Thief and The Dream Thief) I wouldnt have started this series at all. I am SO happy that I did!
This book was excellent, so much so that I am having a hard time dealing with the norms (I.E. laundry, cooking, cleaning, ect...) because I'd much rather dive into the second book :)
Thank you again, Terry, for recommeding yet another aweso
"Rape or seduction. He would take either" 1 7 Sep 11, 2015 01:20AM
Insomnia Book Club: The Smoke Thief by Shana Abé 5 8 Jan 19, 2012 03:38AM
  • Scoundrel (The Blades of the Rose, #2)
  • Breath of Fire
  • King of Sword and Sky (Tairen Soul, #3)
  • Kiss of Fire (Dragonfire, #1)
  • Immortal Coil (Dragon Spirit, #1)
  • The Bride Finder (St. Leger, #1)
  • Dragon Heat (Dragon, #1)
  • Enchanting the Lady (Relics of Merlin, #1)
  • Moonglow (Darkest London, #2)
  • The Companion (Companion, #1)
  • Night Falls Darkly (Shadow Guard, #1)
  • The Battle Sylph (Sylph, #1)
  • Nightkeepers (The Nightkeepers, #1)
  • Dragon Bound (Elder Races, #1)
  • Tall, Dark and Wolfish (Westfield Wolves, #2)
  • Playing With Fire (Silver Dragons #1)
Shana Abé was born in Texas. She spent much of her childhood living in Colorado, with a brief stint in Mexico as a foreign exchange student, and, at age seventeen, lived in Japan as a model. Throughout her childhood, Abé wrote, completing what she calls "The Silliest Romance Novel Ever" during her free time during modeling shoots. Her writing focused on romance, as those were the types of books th ...more
More about Shana Abe...

Drakon (5 books)
  • The Dream Thief (Drakon #2)
  • Queen of Dragons (Drakon, #3)
  • The Treasure Keeper (Drakon, #4)
  • The Time Weaver (Drakon, #5)

“I've wanted you from the moment I first saw you in the museum. Before that. I wanted every part of you from the first time I felt you, your presence. I want you in the sky, and against the earth. I want to kiss you again, I want to touch you, I want to feel you in my arms and I want to hear you gasping my name when I'm inside you. I want all that, and I want it badly. Every time I look at you, I want it. So you're going to have to become used to that, Rue. It won't change."
(Christoff to Rue)”