Start by marking “Android Karenina” as Want to Read:
Android Karenina

Android Karenina

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  1,094 ratings  ·  165 reviews
As in the original novel, the story follows two relationships: the tragic adulterous romance of Anna Karenina and Count Alexei Vronsky, and the much more hopeful marriage of Nikolai Levin and Kitty Shcherbatskaya. These four, yearning for true love, live in a steampunk-inspired 19th century of mechanical butlers, extraterrestrial-worshiping cults, and airborne debutante ba ...more
Audiobook, 0 pages
Published June 8th 2010 by Random House Audio (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Android Karenina, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Android Karenina

Lolly's Library
My first thought upon finishing Android Karenina was that, had Tolstoy been aware of robots, androids, moon resorts, and magnetic grav trains, this is the book he'd have written. To my mind, the concept of robotics, with its sense of coldness and hardness and immovable logic, fits in perfectly with the idea of post-Tsar Russia; where bureaucracy and the welfare of the nation takes precedence over the welfare of the individual; where the sense of almost perpetual winter brings to mind the frigidi ...more
Misty
When I agreed to be part of the Android Karenina blogsplosion, I knew it was going to be an interesting experience. I've read the P&P inspired books -- and obviously am familiar with P&P -- so I got the in-jokes and the references, and could compare it to the original. With this, I haven't read Anna Karenina (and am generally not big on the Russians, save Pasternak's Dr. Zhivago), so I knew that I would have to approach this mash-up differently.

On the one hand, I wouldn't be biased compa
Jaidee

Anna Karenina is one of my desert island books. (5 stars plus) I love it to pieces and have read it four times (ages 13, 19, 26 and 34). Instead of re-reading it again I was pleased to have found a new interpretation of this book by Ben H. Winters.

This book was fascinating with its infusion of robots and horror. I felt that the author was able (mostly) to integrate the delicate human emotions with what was happening in this steampunk environment. At times it was laugh out loud silly and
Louise Leetch
My taste in books runs to the ilk of Cold Mountain. I haven’t read one single vampire book. I never read the Harry Potter Books and I never could get into fantasy books—including the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings! I guess I’m just a snob! When I began reading Ben H. Winters’ mash-up of Android Karenina, my hopes were not high for a quick, light or funny read. Oddly enough, it was all three. Mash-ups are the latest thing in the literary world, mixing classics with new world monsters and demons. It ...more
Liz
I feel i should start off by saying that if you haven't read Anna Karenina, you likely wont enjoy this 'remix' as much as someone who has. That's not to say that it doesn't stand well on it's own as a steampunk novel, but rather that it's likely to be more enjoyable if you're familiar with the original text.

That said, I really enjoyed this book. I've never been big on Tolstoy, and of all his books Anna Karenina was always my least favourite- However, this was brilliant. It's so inspired and out
Lisa Hayden Espenschade
May 24, 2012 Lisa Hayden Espenschade rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: steampunks, science fiction fans, the robot in you
Recommended to Lisa by: publisher copy of book
I think of Android Karenina's ideal audience in terms of Venn diagrams: that mysterious place where "fans of Anna Karenina" and "science fiction readers who love reading about machinery and robots" overlaps. Many of Winters's variations on Tolstoy's themes are very clever -- particularly his Karenin -- and Quirk did well to choose AK for a steampunk mash-up. Still, I thought the book dragged a bit, particularly in the middle.

I should admit that I think Anna Karenina drags a bit in places, too.
Marie
I reserve 5-star ratings for books of extraordinary creativity, skill, craftsmanship, and lasting impact to the reader. Of course there's that personal enjoyment variable, too.

Android Karenina meets every criteria I've got. Quirk Classics has yet to miss the mark on creativity, and Ben Winters molds words I could read or listen to all day in this work. My first three criteria have been met with each of the three previous Quirk Classics released, and I expected nothing less.

I expected more humor
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
May 24, 2012 Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides marked it as decided-not-to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Snail in Danger (Sid) by: Suzanna
Anna Karenina (on which this is based) was the first "grown up" book I read (for lack of a better term). I think I was 8 or 10 or so. Yes, I was a strange child, and no, maybe I shouldn't have been allowed to read it. I remember thinking it was engrossing, but I can't say with any certainty how well I understood it.

But anyway, as a science fiction fan I have a high standard for books involving robots. (Actually I am fairly particular generally.) While I get the sense this is a better adaptation
Graham Crawford
May 24, 2012 Graham Crawford rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the criminally insane
I came to this book - and this Mash up genre with an open mind. There are many great examples of Post Modern re-contextualisations of classic artworks; Shakespeare productions set in during the second world war, Wagner's ring cycle set against a backdrop of industrial socialist revolution, Derek Jarman's quirky anachronisms. These clever works re-frame and re-present classic stories within a contemporary context refreshing sometimes stale ideas for new audiences. I was hoping Android Karenina wo ...more
Lyssa
*Received this in a first read giveaway*
Wasn't able to start this til a two weeks ago I'm really surprised that it's been this long and I'm still reading it. I've not read the original novel, so came into this with no expectations.

The robot/android angle to this book adds the little bit of sci fi "oomph" that might broaden the reading audience. That being said, I can sometimes infer what may have happened in the original novel that the robots are doing in this one (revolutionaries booby trappin
Shauna
Disclaimer: I got this book free for review.

Ahhhhh....all the tragedy of the original Russian romance Leo Tolstoy delivered to us in Anna Karenina, plus all the robots, aliens, and political intrigue you've always wanted.

Mr.Winters, co-author with Jane Austen, of Sense and Sensibilities and Sea Monsters, teamed up with Ol' Leo this time around to give Anna Arkadyevna a liberal sprinkling of Steampunk. I was over the moon when I heard Mr.Winters was part of Quirk Classic's newest project. I adore
Steve Love
Lindsay
Apparently, having never read Anna Karenina nor had an enjoyment of steampunk, I shouldn't have gone for this novel.

This review is pretty much to post "never say never," because I FREAKING LOVED THIS BOOK. When I realized that this was not written with the outrageous humor of the PPZ and SSS "quirk classics," I thought it would be a disappointment. I couldn't have been more wrong. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. I loved all of the moral ambiguity thrown in with more obvious examples
Kitten Kisser
Like most people who start reading these twists on the literary classics, my first was Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. So far I cannot find another comparable to it. This one is close, but the android sci-fi thing just wasn't doing it for me. I'm a big Star Trek fan, Zombie, anything with humor & more, but I was mostly bored with this book. I found sections that were very engaging but many parts where my eyes started to glaze over. It took me forever to get through this. I must have read at ...more
Uriah
I received this book as a First-reads copy. At first I wasn't sure if it was something I would enjoy but I was interested to see how it would work as a novel. (I should say I have not read the original.) It turns out that I really enjoyed the book. The writing of the two authors blends together seamlessly. Tolstoy's work is ideal for blending in the "high" science fiction/steampunk genre. The character development is excellent, especially for the main players.

Overall a very enjoyable read.
Gretchen
I have read anna karenina before, but I did not really remember all of the plot line so it has been fun reading this book and slowly remembering some things, but then there are androids! it's very much an alternate reality that is fun to discover. I must admit that by the end, I was sucked in and wondering how the book was going to end and resolve some of the outstanding plot points. So this is a good addition to the other novels that have added zombies and sea monsters to jane austen books.
Christopher tm
Dry.

Dry dry dry.

Dry dry dry dry dry dry dry dry dry dry dry dry dry.

Gah.

I could not make headway into the original without being bored to distraction and the introduction here of Robots! does naught to hold my interest.

Undoubtedly I will try again at a later date, but that date and I are not looking forward to meeting each other.
Frances Vermeulen
Finally!! I finished it!! It was a struggle, I admit, but the ending almost made it worth the while. In a nutshell: the robot-part of the story was great, the drama and internal struggles of Anna was quite boring. I won't be reading it again any time soon...
Patty Lazatin
obviously easier to read than the original but that's perhaps because i already know the original.
definitely a funny adaptation and pretty good on the usage of robots and aliens. at times it felt forced but over-all entertaining.
Sïa
3,5

Jamás hubiese imaginado que un clásico fuese adaptado al género de ciencia ficción tanto como lo ha conseguido Ben H. Winters con "Androide Karenina". Atreverse con un re-telling de la literatura rusa conocido como Ana Karenina no es tan sencillo. Escribir un libro no es sencillo. Ana Karenina ha marcado profundamente la literatura rusa y universal. Quien no lo conozca, al menos habrá oído hablar de la nueva versión cinematográfica protagonizada por Jude Law y Keira Knightley.

El autor parte d
Bar Shirtcliff
Sep 19, 2012 Bar Shirtcliff rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Winters fans
It's not as much fun as Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters, but, this is a pleasant way to spend some time.

I wouldn't want to do what Winters has done here because it must be impossible to please Tolstoy fans, but, I suppose most of this book's readers probably can't stand the original (in translation). I've read the original several times in English, and once in Russian, so, I'm not in the intended audience.

That said, I found the multi-ending to be a bit of a drag, and I didn't like the wa
Mark
“Android Karenina,” Ben H. Winters' mash up of the Leo Tolstoy novel, is set in a technology-driven human society right out of Frank Herbert’s “Dune.” “Android” really doesn’t have a soul. It’s the tribute band that you like because they remind you how truly great was the original. And Tolstoy's classic is considered by some to be the greatest novel ever. Those who don’t agree generally don't like the romance nature of the main storyline. But “Anna” is about so much more. “Android” reads similar ...more
Jess
I received this book as part of the GoodReads First Reads program.

As the fourth (and longest!) classic novel and monster mash-up from Quirk Books, "Android Karenina" by Ben H. Winters and Leo Tolstoy had a lot to live up to. I enjoyed "Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters" by Mr. Winters, and I was hoping this novel would not be a letdown. It wasn't.

"Android Karenina" was a creative and fun update of the classic Russian novel "Anna Karenina." The robotic society of Russia was well-developed
Sean
After the disappointment of their last book, Quirk Classics takes a breath of fresh air with Android Karenina: a mashup of Tolstoy's Anna Karenina and a steampunk Russia where humans have their own robot servants. Unlike Dawn of the Dreadfuls, Quirk's latest novel (co-written by Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters's Ben H. Winters) feels like stepping into fresh, new material.

The characters remain as enigmatic and tortured as they were in Tolstoy's original, but this new steampunk twist adds
Keri
I fear I have no romantic bone in my body.

Okay, let me amend that. I do, just not one when it comes to Anna. Kitty and Levin? Yes. Adorable and I found myself rooting the whole time. Anna? No.

Let me start from the beginning though: I thoroughly enjoyed the novel. I haven't read Anna Karenina, so I can't compare how close it was to the original, but this one I did enjoy.

A reader can tell where Tolstoy's words shine through. They can tell where Winters placed robots (and that's not all, ladies and
Anna Engel
It's part "Anna Karenina," part Isaac Asimov, part Men in Black, and part steam punk. It's fantastic. It's been long enough that I don't remember how faithful the text is to the original, but I've decided it doesn't matter because you can read and enjoy both for what they are. It is to Winters' credit that you can't distinguish Tolstoy's words from the more modern edition. One thing Winters did right was to delete extraneous characters and subplots – a big thank you for that!

I'm amazed at how s
Heather
Maybe it takes a lover of Tolstoy to really enjoy this work, I'm not sure since I've never read Tolstoy before. I had a really hard time getting into the characters. They never spoke to me.

Many times the events happened slowly and the next we have a paragraph describing a few years. I especially had a hard time with Anna Karenina. She's very complex, I'll give you that, but she was pretty messed up. She's willing to leave her son behind to run off with her lover and in the meantime she says she
Rich Stoehr
I have to admit, I am remiss in my knowledge of Russian literature. To wit: I've never read Anna Karenina. So what happens when the science-historical-fiction version Android Karenina comes out? Dive right in, of course!

I wasn't sure what to expect. Even the previous Quirk Classics I'd read - Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters and Pride and Prejudice and Zombies - didn't really prepare me for this. I knew the Jane Austen source material of the other two, but I didn't know Tolstoy.

I thought A
Suzanne Lazear
Full review at Steamed! http://ageofsteam.wordpress.com/2010/...

This retelling of Tolstoy’s classic tale of love and betrayal brings us into an alternate version of 19th Century Russia full of amazing technology, adventure, and robots. Winters does an excellent job of blending the gloomy feel of Pre-Revolutionary Russia with futuristic technology and modernism creating a believable and interesting tale that feels familiar yet is deliciously different. The amazing illustrations only add to it.

Fro
Aimeekay
Android Karenina is set in the late 1800's, the same time period as the original Anna Karenina, by Leo Tolstoy. But I do not think Tolstoy ever pictured his Russia quite like this one. Groznium has greatly changed the way people live. Everything that isn't human is basically a robot. From the simple Class I's, like the I/Mouse/9, that keeps pests away, to the Class II's, such as the II/Governess/D145, that teaches the children, to the Class III's, the robot companions to the wealthy. The lights ...more
  • Mansfield Park and Mummies: Monster Mayhem, Matrimony, Ancient Curses, True Love, and Other Dire Delights
  • The Meowmorphosis
  • Emma and the Werewolves: Jane Austen's Classic Novel with Blood-Curdling Lycanthropy
  • Little Women and Werewolves
  • Emma and the Vampires (Jane Austen Undead Novels)
  • Henry VIII, Wolfman
  • Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: Dreadfully Ever After
  • Robin Hood & Friar Tuck: Zombie Killers
  • Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and Zombie Jim
  • Wuthering Bites
  • Grave Expectations
  • Little Vampire Women
  • Romeo & Juliet & Vampires
  • The Undead World of Oz: L. Frank Baum's The Wonderful Wizard of Oz Complete with Zombies and Monsters
  • The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and the Undead
  • Shakespeare Undead (Shakespeare Undead, #1)
  • The War of the Worlds: H.G. Wells's Classic Plus Blood, Guts and Zombies
  • Dave Barry's Guide to Life (Contains: "Dave Barry's Guide to Marriage and/or Sex" / "Babies and Other Hazards of Sex" / "Stay Fit and Healthy Until You're Dead" / "Claw Your Way to the Top")
The Last Policeman (The Last Policeman, #1) Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters Countdown City (The Last Policeman, #2) World of Trouble (The Last Policeman, #3) Bedbugs