Start by marking “Cape Cod Noir” as Want to Read:
Cape Cod Noir

Cape Cod Noir (Akashic Noir)

"Youthful alienation and despair dominate the 13 stories in Akashic's noir volume devoted to Cape Cod. [It] will satisfy those with a hankering for a taste of the dark side."
-- Publishers Weekly

"A book full of cries in the dark, heavy drinking in the thin gray light of winter, and other dark poses. In other words, the stories sneak in the back screen door of those summer
Published May 17th 2011 by Akashic Books

To ask other readers questions about Cape Cod Noir, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cape Cod Noir

Julie H.
Jun 21, 2011 Julie H. rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
What a great mix of short stories--mixing everything from the 18th through 21st centuries as contexts for the tales. It's part of a series of noir anthologies set in assorted places, primarily throughout the U.S. but increasingly global in scope. Anyhow, back to Cape Cod Noir, the series focuses on the mix of cultures and classes that inhabit the Cape--both the summer trade and those who make their livings here year round. The stories are dark, as noir implies, but extremely well crafted. Ulin d ...more
Richard Thomas
Jun 15, 2011 Richard Thomas rated it it was amazing
(This review was originally published at The Cult.)

When I think of cities that inspire noir, Cape Cod is certainly not at the top of that list. I think of New York, Chicago, Baltimore even, but never would I have thought of Cape Cod. In the ongoing series by Akashic Books, they’ve visited almost fifty cities across the United States, and around the world. It’s a compelling series to say the least. Once I started to get into this collection, though, I understood the appeal of Cape Cod. Any place
Janellyn51
Jan 02, 2013 Janellyn51 rated it really liked it
It's always fun to read about places you know. I know the Cape. I know how it feels to look out your window and see the water, and the boats. I know the sounds of hammering in the spring, and the clink clink clink of the hardware on masts. I know the smells. I'll be the first one to say that, even with attending church with the Kennedy's every summer, I know, unequivically, that the Cape has it's underbelly. Like, they mention the Egg and I in one of my favorite stories, Nineteen shots of Dennis ...more
Linden
Aug 13, 2012 Linden rated it really liked it
Another reward has come from the display of new books at my local library. The series of Noir short mystery stories published by Akashic includes many titles, all of which are set in a single location. The books range from Baltimore Noir to Wall Street Noir, (no A or Z as yet), with international as well as national settings. The list of titles is so long that for it to fit on one page, an 8 or 9 point font proved necessary.

In his introduction to Cape Cod Noir, David L. Ulin writes explaining wh
Dani Peloquin
Aug 22, 2011 Dani Peloquin rated it liked it
This summer I am spending three months on the West coast...far away from my eastern roots. Though I haven’t been really homesick, when I saw “Cape Cod Noir” on a bookshelf I knew that I had to have it! Reading the stories chilled my spine while taking me back to the many summers I spent on the Cape. I think this is definitely a great book for those familiar with this locale though it might be lacking for outsiders.

As you may know, this collection is just one in the “noir” series which collects s
Jake
Feb 22, 2016 Jake rated it really liked it
I spent eighteen summer on the Cape. Big whoop, so did lots of other people. What makes me different is the fourteen winters I spent on the place. Winters on the Cape are different experience from what the tourists and summer people get. I cruised around on Friday nights when the only places open past 8 PM were convenience stores, bars, and the movie theater. I shoveled snow, partied in the only occupied house in a neighborhood, and saw Buzzard's Bay frozen over. I know what the bottle of malt v ...more
Tuxlie
Dec 12, 2013 Tuxlie marked it as to-read
Shelves: crime

Launched with the summer '04 award-winning best-seller Brooklyn Noir, Akashic Books continues its groundbreaking series of original noir anthologies. Each book is comprised of all-new stories, each one set in a distinct neighborhood or location within the city of the book.

Los Angeles Times book critic David L. Ulin has been vacationing in Cape Cod every summer since he was a boy. He knows the terrain inside out; enough to identify the squalid underbelly of this allegedly idyllic location. His e

Claire Phillips
Apr 02, 2014 Claire Phillips rated it it was amazing
Maybe the best anthology in the bang-up Akashic series of neo and classic noir stories. My students, native to Los Angeles or far flung international locales, reread this book and its handful of sharp, formally varied works for pleasure in their spare time. When does that ever happen? From the opening story and its relatable economic vise called a despotic boss, Hasting's "Ten-Year Plan", to the lurid shenanigans of Tremblay's "Nineteen Snapshots of Dennisport", to the finance noir of Ulin's "La ...more
Izetta Autumn
Aug 12, 2014 Izetta Autumn rated it really liked it
Not all of the stories in the volume are of the same caliber - or carry the same weight that one might expect of the noir genre - however, as a collection its quite enjoyable. Moreover, there are clear gems in the collection. I'm confused as to why no writers of color appear to have been engaged - and why there was not piece focused on the large Cape Verdean and Portuguese population on the Cape and the Vineyard. I was also disappointed that there was no story featuring Black communities like Oa ...more
Paul
Apr 07, 2011 Paul rated it it was amazing
Full disclosure, I have one story in this. I loved the variety of takes on what noir can be. Many of the tales dwell on class/cultural clashes with the summer help, year 'rounders, and well off tourists, with William Hastings's "Ten Year Plan" as the perfect opener. I suspect noir purists may not like the genre bending/stretching of some of the stories, but I found it to be refreshing. Push them boundaries!
Aug 24, 2013 Sarah rated it liked it
A strong 3.5.
Best: William Hastings' Ten Year Plan, Elyssa East's Second Chance, David L. Ulin's La Jetée, Ben Greenman's Viva Regina, Dave Zeltserman's When Death Shines Bright. Paul Tremblay's Nineteen Snapshots of Dennisport and Kaylie Jones' The Occidental Tourist are both easily 5+ stars and the best of the bunch as far as my tastes are concerned.
Could've lived without: Dana Cameron's Ardent, Lizzie Skurnick's Spectacle Pond, Jedediah Berry's Twenty-Eight Scenes For Neglected Guests.
Julie Barrett
Feb 13, 2015 Julie Barrett rated it really liked it
Cape Cod Noir by David Ulin
Beach vacation scenes and this series is about many other contributions from various writers in different districts.
Vacation never ends for the islanders when the summer season is over.
Many stories are about men who have been released from prison and how they live their lives on the cape.
Angela
Oct 16, 2014 Angela added it
Definitely a walk on the dark side. These stories brought to life a side of Cape Cod that I hope to never actually know personally when I get there. I read this on my first trip to Nantucket and the words had my brain conjuring up similar story lines along the rock-filled Galen Avenue or near the tony shops on India Street A fun collection I'd recommend.
Joey
Jun 06, 2013 Joey rated it really liked it
Not every story is a winner, but that would be hard to pull off in any collection of 15 or so short stories. Also, weirdly, some of them don't have much to do with Cape Cod, which is weird, seeing how it's in the title and all. Either way, some very good stuff in here, some regular good stuff in here, and some not-so-good stuff in here.
Marty
Aug 20, 2011 Marty rated it it was amazing
I love this series, and I think that this is one of the more readable books in it. I like how they included a map of the Cape to indicate where the stories take place. My favorites are "Ardent," "Nineteen Shots of Dennisport," "Second Chance," and "The Occidental Tourist."
Tim
Mar 01, 2012 Tim rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed most of the short stories in this anthology. I actually got to see David Ulin at my college a few weeks ago and it was awesome to hear he wanted to bend the idea of a typical noir and shape it around Cape Cod which came out great. I would recommend picking up this book for sure.
Dave
Jul 13, 2011 Dave rated it it was amazing
I'm in this anthology, but I can still give this 5-stars with a clear conscience based solely on Paul Tremblay's story in the anthology. It's that good a story! There's some good stuff in the rest of the anthology, but it's Tremblay's story that makes this a must read!
Chris
Mar 27, 2015 Chris rated it it was ok
2.5-I found this to be an uneven collection of stories, some very good, the best for me was "Ten Year Plan" by William Hastings. A few of the stories seemed to be written in unusual styles for the sake of the style rather than to better tell the tale.
Tuck
May 31, 2011 Tuck rated it liked it
Shelves: noir
nice creepy ass yankee death, murder, and crimes from akashic. this series is an incredibly entertaining and fun way to find new authors, as opposed to say..... GR's best books list of 2011
Emily
Apr 21, 2016 Emily rated it it was ok
I loved the last story, "Twenty-Eight Scenes for Neglected Guests" by Jedediah Berry. None of the others really grabbed me, unfortunately.
J.F. Juzwik
Sep 04, 2012 J.F. Juzwik rated it it was amazing
This is quite the diverse collection by incredibly talented authors. I won't go into too much detail, except to say this is definitely a must read.
Laura Barnes
Laura Barnes rated it it was amazing
Feb 24, 2016
Kathleen Buckley
Kathleen Buckley rated it really liked it
Oct 25, 2012
Harini
Harini rated it it was ok
Feb 01, 2011
reqbat
reqbat rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2012
Rob Sparkes
Rob Sparkes rated it really liked it
May 27, 2014
Peter
Peter rated it really liked it
Nov 27, 2016
Frank
Frank rated it liked it
Nov 08, 2016
Cheri
Cheri rated it did not like it
Jul 02, 2015
  • Las Vegas Noir
  • Paris Noir
  • London Noir
  • Detroit Noir
  • Brooklyn Noir 2: The Classics (Akashic Noir)
  • Moscow Noir
  • Phoenix Noir
  • Istanbul Noir
  • Mumbai Noir
David L. Ulin is book critic, and former book editor, of the Los Angeles Times. He is the author of The Lost Art of Reading: Why Books Matter in a Distracted Time, Labyrinth, and The Myth of Solid Ground: Earthquakes, Prediction, and the Fault Line Between Reason and Faith, selected as a best book of 2004 by the Chicago Tribune and the San Francisco Chronicle.

He is also the editor of three antholo
More about David L. Ulin...

Akashic Noir (1 - 10 of 70 books)
  • Baltimore Noir
  • Bangkok Noir
  • Barcelona Noir
  • Belfast Noir
  • Boston Noir
  • Boston Noir 2: The Classics
  • Bronx Noir
  • Brooklyn Noir
  • Brooklyn Noir 2: The Classics (Akashic Noir)
  • Brooklyn Noir 3: Nothing But the Truth (Akashic Noir)