Start by marking “My Dead Dad Was in ZZ Top: 100% Real,* Never Before Seen Documents from the World of Rock and Roll” as Want to Read:

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  94 ratings  ·  19 reviews
An irreverent and ridiculous collection of "found" documents that will change everything you thought you knew about rock and roll, by the creator and star of Adult Swim's Delocated

Jon Glaser delves into the unknown and highly secretive histories of dozens of rock and roll's greatest bands with sometimes spectacular, sometimes heartbreaking, always completely made-up result
Published February 8th 2011 by Harper Perennial (first published February 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about My Dead Dad Was in ZZ Top, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Dead Dad Was in ZZ Top

Mary (BookHounds)
LOVED IT -- THIS BOOK ROCKED!

I think this book is what happens when you mix a rock nerd with some photoshop skills, some old paper and the ability to think in the absurd. The "lost" lyrics are spectacular and I have a feeling that they probably could have been the actual lyrics in some cases. My all time favorite is the letter from Ringo telling his mates that he is starting a Beatles Tribute band, which is something that isn't really so far from the truth with his All Starr Band. This is one of
Jessi
I'm going to preface this review by saying that I change words to songs to make them about my cats. I think it's silly and fun, but I don't expect anybody else to think the same or to sing them with me.

This book does try hard to be funny, but a lot of it felt like some kind of "inside joke" that the reader isn't let in on. Some of it got a snort from me, some of it got a smirk, but none of it really made me laugh. I like funny. I like the absurd and silly. I read The Onion. This book just isn't
Edwina
Tramps like us, baby we were born to brunch.
Tim
Feb 01, 2011 Tim rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: humor
Although many may consider it a less important symbol than the dollar sign, never underestimate the power of the asterisk. Jon Glaser certainly doesn't.

After being estranged for years, Glaser was going through his father's belongings following his death when he stumbled across rock and roll history.* He learned his father was a member of an early incarnation of ZZ Top.* The senior Glaser didn't make a mark on the music world, though, because he was the keyboard player who urged the band abandon
Sara Habein
This is a funny, quick-read book that probably does better with readers who are familiar with the musicians referenced throughout. One does not need in-depth knowledge, but having spent time listening to both classic rock radio and the first incarnation of MTV’s 120 Minutes certainly helps. There are not a lot of music books that reference Yo La Tengo, Bob Seger, Fleetwood Mac, and The Butthole Surfers within such a short collection of pages.

Glaser’s previous writing credits include Late Night w
Terri
The book “MY Dead Dad Was in ZZ Top” is a hilarious romp through super-secret documents of some of the world's most famous musical acts. Although the 100% Real* (*100% Fake) guarantee is prominently displayed on the cover, throughout the book the author keeps letting you know that the truth, as printed in this book, is really, really the truth.

This book sends the reader on a roller coaster of emotions. If you don't know who the band is or really just don't like that particular band, you'll thin
Jennifer Rayment
The Good Stuff

* Truly unique, I can honestly say I have never read anything quite like this before
* You will snort out loud at times - obviously still have not learned to read stuff like this on public transit
* Prince's set list for Spielberg's daughters bat mitzvah is hilarious
* The reason behind the naming of the Butthole surfers will make you snort coffee out your nose -- trust me DO NOT read this bit in public
* The before they made it section is funny
* Quick short read when you are loo
Matthew
Awesome book - super funny, super fast read. The details in all of these 100% REAL documents are spot-on and the jokes nail it for rock music fans. Highlights include the Secret Sellout section with legendary icons shilling for corporate gigs (David Bowie's "Changes" re-imagined as "Chang's Grill," "Aqualung" transformed into "Vick's Vaporub") and the 100% REAL and documented story behind the naming of the Butthole Surfers. Spoiler alert: Gibby Haynes's dad was a Navy SEAL who died on a secret m ...more
Sue Constantine
Really laughed at some parts of this book. Highlights include Jay Leno's letter to Rob Thomas and The Who tour rider. I don't know much about music and still felt like I got it.
Travis
Comedians I love keep writing books I don't care for. :( Jon Glaser is amazingly funny. Just not here. Then again, I don't know anything about rock history, so some of this surely went over my head. Also, do not buy this on an e-reader unless it's a full-color e-reader capable of properly displaying images. I bought it on my black-and-white Nook, and it was useless. Had to read it on my computer. Which is a miserable experience.
Denise
I won this book from GOODREADS- I give them (and the author/publisher) much thanks!

Jon Glaser is one funny guy. "My Dead Dad Was in ZZ Top" is written with much wit and humor. Anyone who is a fan of rock & roll will enjoy this book and learn a few things they never knew about their favorite bands! A sucker really IS born every day.
Jim
Kind of a mixed bag. Some of the "found documents" are laugh out loud funny, others stretch jokes too far.
It's a quick read though (you can get through the whole thing in about 2 hours), and I'd recommend it to fans of Glaser's Adult Swim series "Delocated" and "Late Night with Conan O'Brien (Glaser was on the writing staff).
Dave
This book was really funny as most things from Jon Glaser are. He's great at the anti-comedy of taking a stupid concept so far that it becomes funny again. The Rolling Stones & Butthole Surfer revelations made me laugh out loud. The story that the title if from is on the "Invite Them Up!" box set is amazing.
Peter
Funny stuff. My favorite "document" in the book was the band name ideas for Ringo's post-Beatles tribute band: "The Paperback Rockers", "Twisty And The Shouters". Music fans should get a few good giggles out of this.
Mitch Gage
Fast but not that funny. Made me chuckle a few times but there wasn't much I wanted to share with people. Title is probably the best part. Skip it or not at least its a small investment of time.
Coco Goupil
This was a joy to read; however, it was slightly disappointing to to discover that the asterisk in the title was pointing out that the book is infact 100% false -- but nonetheless it was great!
Nathan Mahlberg
I love ROCK man. And I love fake document books. So this book really worked for me.
Phil Overeem
If the execution is as good as the concept, this is gonna be a laff riot!
Katie
Extremely silly.
Clay
Clay marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Julie Waldman
Julie Waldman marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
Mason
Mason marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
Tylercondon
Tylercondon marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
  • Stuntman!: My Car-Crashing, Plane-Jumping, Bone-Breaking, Death-Defying Hollywood Life
  • Look at This Fucking Hipster
  • The Will to Whatevs: A Guide to Modern Life
  • My Custom Van: And 50 Other Mind-Blowing Essays that Will Blow Your Mind All Over Your Face
  • A Load of Hooey
  • Little Billy's Letters: An Incorrigible Inner Child's Correspondence with the Famous, Infamous, and Just Plain Bewildered
  • The Big Bento Box of Unuseless Japanese Inventions
  • The Most Of S.J.Perelman
  • Vice Dos and Don'ts: 10 Years of VICE Magazine's Street Fashion Critiques
  • Daddy's Boy: A Son's Shocking Account of Life with a Famous Father
  • Mindsploitation: Asinine Assignments for the Online Homework Cheating Industry
  • Your Wildest Dreams, Within Reason
  • Drunk Stoned Brilliant Dead: The Writers and Artists Who Made the National Lampoon Insanely Great
  • Now Dig This: The Unspeakable Writings, 1950-1995
  • You're a Horrible Person, But I Like You: The Believer Book of Advice
  • Saying Goodbye
  • Carrie Goes Off the Map
  • Mr. Funny Pants
My Dead Dad Was in ZZ Top: the ZZ Top Letters...and More 100% Real, Never Before Seen Documents from the World of Rock n' Roll My Dead Dad Was In ZZ Top