Start by marking “The Associated Press Stylebook: and Briefing on Media Law, Fully Revised and Updated [2004]” as Want to Read:

4.19  ·  Rating Details ·  1,607 Ratings  ·  90 Reviews
More people write for the Associated Press than for any newspaper in the world, and writers have bought more copies of The AP Stylebook than of any other journalism reference. With this essential guide in hand, any writer can learn to communicate with the clarity and professionalism for which the Associated Press is famous. Fully revised and updated, this edition contains ...more
Published June 29th 2004 by Basic Books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Associated Press Stylebook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Associated Press Stylebook

Daniel
Oct 30, 2009 Daniel rated it really liked it
For a while there in college, I lived and breathed this book (or an earlier edition, actually). The parts I need the most are now burned into my brain, and I end up consulting it only once or twice a year these days. I actually don't know how you rate a book like the AP Stylebook, and the four stars I give it are for no defensible reason. If you're a reporter for a news organization that adheres to AP style, you either follow the rules and save yourself a lot of anguish, or you become the bane o ...more
Mark
Jan 08, 2008 Mark rated it really liked it
Only a seriously obsessed copy editor or someone who had been asked to oversee a revision of his newspaper's stylebook (I plead guilty to the latter) would actually read this book.

Nevertheless, once you've learned to tolerate the taste of the medicine, you can actually start to enjoy it, or at least some of it. And there always the sorts of tidbits that can enlighten or amuse. Many people may know, for instance, that scuba stands for self contained underwater breathing apparatus, or that radar s
Randal
Dec 14, 2014 Randal rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Masochists, junior reporters
Shelves: nonfiction
The most important style guide for newspaper journalists and the worst-organized style guide on the planet.
Written by committee and it reads like it. AP has more stupid rules for the sake of having a rule than all the other style manuals combined. It will not teach you to be a better writer; it will teach you to write like an old-school newspaper hack.
Sam
Oct 29, 2009 Sam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I love you.
Clare Fitzgerald
Stylebooks aren’t necessarily meant to be read all the way through, any more than the dictionary is. They’re reference books, and they’re meant to be used so you just look up the bit you like. But as many dorky people end up reading the dictionary straight through (I was never one of them, which I am actually a bit surprised at), I like to read most reference books I have to use straight through, to get a more complete idea of what exactly is in it and a better feel for what and where I need to ...more
Ian
Jan 27, 2008 Ian rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: journalists
Four stars because sometimes I disagree with it, and too many of its rules are still based on the limitations of telegraph technology. Seriously, 1890? I think we've advanced to the point where we can handle brackets and italics.
Annalisa
Nov 21, 2010 Annalisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: resource
A lot more fascinating than your average grammar resource guide with references and descriptions of terminology (i.e. the list of the worst earthquakes of all times and explanation of magnitude under the heading earthquakes). And yet, AP style requires that you exclude the serial comma. Why? Why! Why?! I'm actually quite passionate about the inclusion of that final comma (me, myself, and I) ever since my grammar professor related law cases lost over the exclusion of the comma when the final two ...more
Danielle Latimer
Dec 04, 2015 Danielle Latimer rated it liked it
I have a love/hate relationship with the AP Stylebook, but what I wanted to say is I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU SAY AP, "OVER" DESIGNATES A LOCATION OF AN OBJECT AND "MORE THAN" DENOTES QUANTITY AND DESPITE YOU CHANGING THIS I WILL PRACTICE IT FOREVER.

I often feel the AP arbitrarily makes changes and updates so people have to buy the latest Stylebook each year.
James-clifton
Oct 14, 2014 James-clifton rated it it was amazing
Half of a journalist's education and tools for the tade is in this book. The rest of what he needs he has to learn from doing.

I retired aafter 30 years as a newspaper editor. I still keep this book on my shelf next to my dictionary, my thesaurus and the Holy Bible.
Mike Dierdorf
May 14, 2014 Mike Dierdorf rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
You can't really review a book like this. It's pretty much a pass-fail on being what it says it is, unless the paper disintegrates in your hands or something.

It passes on all of these criteria.
Jon
Feb 07, 2014 Jon rated it really liked it
Everything seems so happy until you get to the section that says you should kill the serial comma.
Rosie
Oct 27, 2014 Rosie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I should probably purchase the newest edition sometime in the near future...
Margaret
"Read" because it was required in J-school. Use daily.
Art
Sep 02, 2013 Art rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013
The 2013 edition includes a 30-page section of social media guidelines, a 14-page section on news values and the 300-page core of the book: the A to Z stylebook.

American English is a living language, and this stylebook helps us to stay current with the style and usage.

Over 90 new and revised entries, including these: after-party, backstage, brain dead/brain death, doughnut, landline, man-made and wacky.

...

I bought the annual annual stylebook for over ten years while working as a news writer a
Beckie
Sep 20, 2007 Beckie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: journalism, favorites
This book is the secular Bible.

I copy edit birthday cards. It's sick. But the people who recognize that you took the time and effort to say Web site rather than website are the ones who will appreciate the time you spent in writing a thoughtful and educated message for them. Because the sad truth is, they will call you on Christmas and make fun of other people's annual Christmas letters and tell you about all the incorrect AP mistakes they find.
Dave Mosher
This is a poor reference book for journalists. Many words, phrases and terms simply don't exist in this book that are used in stories every day. It also leaves you guessing where to find a usage instructions for simple terms (e.g. seconds, length, etc.), greatly extending the length of time it takes you to write an article. Dictionaries and other reference material shouldn't have to be memorized to be useful.
Fred
Jun 02, 2013 Fred rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the bible of journalistic writing. I highly recommend the online annual membership to the AP Stylebook as well because when they update it once or twice a month at least you'll get those right away. Everyone should have a copy of this no more than a year or two old though because you never know when you'll be away from the interweb!
Amelia
Oct 03, 2007 Amelia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I was truly raised without religion, unless you count the AP Stylebook. I am so devoted to it that when the Internet revokes my right to italicize (like facebook - thanks, jerks), I refuse to italicize at all.

I recently lost my copy, and now every day is a blur of confusion, sorrow, and improper hyphen usage. (But mostly sorrow.)
Shane
Jul 12, 2012 Shane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Extremely useful! I consult my 2003 edition on almost a weekly basis. I should probably get an updated version... Although I typically consult Grammar Girl, I think it's still very nice to have a printed style guide handy upon which I can base my own style conventions, especially in cases of it coming down to mere preference.
Lindsay
Aug 03, 2010 Lindsay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Journalists, Writers, Journalism/Communications students
Shelves: journalism, favorites
Being a journalism major, this book is my bible. I have read it all the way through several times and still refer to it at least a few times a day when writing. It has anything and everything you want to know about writing style, punctuation, and grammar. I honestly don't know how I would live without it.
Dave
Feb 02, 2008 Dave rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This might just be my favorite book. It's concise; you can pick it up and put it down; it's full of surprising and useful information; it's gravely underrated as a linear read; it helps you right wrongs; and it has been close to my side (updated editions notwithstanding) since September 2000.
Karen
Feb 25, 2009 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
At this point in my career-life, I pretty much have this book memorized. It used to be a lifesaver, now it's an old friend. My only qualm with it is whatever I'm looking for that it doesn't have, and its preference for Web site (two words, cap W). I prefer website.
Nurkastelia A.
Jul 05, 2008 Nurkastelia A. rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who edits English stuff
call it Buku Ejaan Yang Disempurnakan versi englais.

basically, it's much like things my English professor taught us during my undergraduate years. So, you know, this vain self thought it really didn't need anything like this AGAIN...

but... yeah, i was wrong. it's highly helpful :D
Jessica
Aug 27, 2007 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference, writing
I probably use this book more than I should. My first job out of college had it practically strapped to my hip and I don't think the dependency has ever quite worn off. I still have my old dog-eared wirebound copy from school, but my newer edition is just so pretty. :)
Martha
Jun 16, 2008 Martha rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who needs to establish style guidelines for a magazine, newspaper, newsletter, or web site.
OK, so maybe a four-star rating is a bit much for a stylebook, but what can I say? It's very useful, easy to use, and I agree with most of their style decisions to boot. Plus, this one's more suited to periodicals and web sites than the Chicago Manual.
James Pittman
Writers need the best guides when it comes to getting their stuff published, and read, by audiences as small as a school paper to world-renowned papers such as The New York Times. This book gives writers the edge to making their copy the best.
Daniel
Sep 11, 2012 Daniel rated it really liked it
This book feels more like a dictionary to any future journalist. This is the journalists bible so to speak. This edition is packed with up to date information on how to properly write in AP style. I am using this text book forever!
Geoffrey
Oct 26, 2008 Geoffrey is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
It's an absolute must for the newswriter. A majority of newspaper operate their typeediting with Associated Press style, so one must familiarize themselves with it in order to become an incredibly dry and boring writer.
Carlene Byron
Oct 01, 2012 Carlene Byron rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing
what's to say? I learned more about food distinctions from this than I would have expected (in particular, which wine/cheese name is specific to which region) ... otherwise, it's just the precise resource I needed.
  • The Copyeditor's Handbook: A Guide for Book Publishing and Corporate Communications, with Exercises and Answer Keys
  • The Chicago Manual of Style
  • The Elements of Journalism: What Newspeople Should Know and The Public Should Expect
  • The Elements of Editing
  • Roget International Thesaurus
  • Garner's Modern American Usage
  • Words into Type
  • MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers
  • The Elements of Grammar
  • Rules for Writers
  • The Art and Craft of Feature Writing: Based on The Wall Street Journal Guide
  • Bartlett's Familiar Quotations: A Collection of Passages, Phrases and Proverbs Traced to Their Sources in Ancient and Modern Literature
  • The New York Times Manual of Style and Usage, Revised and Expanded Edition: The Official Style Guide Used by the Writers and Editors of the World's Most Authoritative Newspaper
  • A Dictionary of Modern English Usage
  • Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary
  • The American Heritage Dictionary
  • The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language
  • The Elephants of Style: A Trunkload of Tips on the Big Issues and Gray Areas of Contemporary American English
The Associated Press is an American news agency. The AP is a cooperative owned by its contributing newspapers, radio and television stations in the United States, which both contribute stories to the AP and use material written by its staff journalists. Many newspapers and broadcasters outside the United States are AP subscribers, paying a fee to use AP material without being contributing members ...more
More about Associated Press...