Understanding Popular Culture

Understanding Popular Culture

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  83 ratings  ·  5 reviews
In this companion volume to "Reading the Popular," Fiske presents a radical theory of what it means for culture to be popular.
Published August 1st 1989 by Routledge (first published January 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Understanding Popular Culture, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Understanding Popular Culture

Fraser
Pretty much a classic regarding popular culture studies.

Seems to have gone off the boil so much now which is a pity, as Fiske clearly demonstrates it is an exciting and vibrant area of study, even if some cannot take it seriously.

Fiske's views are still relevant today, although as we know, the subject matter morphs and moves on, the underpinning rationale of study remains very similar.

Classic text, and the accompanying "Reading the Popular" helps shape this by expanding on the concepts and bring...more
Carljoe Javier
This is a compelling, theoretically driven book that can be picked up and read by pretty much anybody. Fiske presents amazing and brilliant ideas, but offers them to us in sleek, cool prose that makes for great discussion. I especially like how he asks us to approach our readings of popular culture, and notable in this book is how well it has aged. Even though it was written more than two decades ago and references old material, its readings and analyses are still sharp and can be used in readin...more
Jason
Though helpful and informative, I felt that it shows its age, and the points that he makes that are transferable and applicable to a modern popular culture were hard for me to spot. Perhaps, though, it was my late-night reading for a class that made me feel this way.
Caleigh
This wasn't exactly a fun or entertaining read, but definitely useful and serves the purpose for which it was intended.
Jared Psigoda
Jared Psigoda marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Lya
Lya marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Tyler Borchers
Tyler Borchers marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Jai
Jai is currently reading it
Jun 24, 2014
Markella
Markella marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Audiovisualcitizen
Audiovisualcitizen is currently reading it
Jun 15, 2014
Ralph Hogan
Ralph Hogan marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
discohijack
discohijack marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Irene
Irene added it
May 16, 2014
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
Magdalena Rechberger
Magdalena Rechberger is currently reading it
Apr 23, 2014
Kevin Kearney
Kevin Kearney marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Anya Joukova
Anya Joukova marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Brad
Brad added it
Mar 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Librarian Note: There is more than one author by this name in the Goodreads data base.
More about John Fiske...
Introduction to Communication Studies Television Culture Reading The Popular Cultural and Communication Studies: Sebuah Pengantar Paling Komprehensif Reading Television (New Accents)