Start by marking “Die Schule der Nacht (Ravenwood Mysteries #1)” as Want to Read:
Die Schule der Nacht (Ravenwood Mysteries #1)

Die Schule der Nacht (Ravenwood Mysteries #1)

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  1,660 ratings  ·  196 reviews
April Dunne ist gar nicht begeistert von Ravenwood, ihrer neuen Schule im Londoner Bezirk Highgate. Der einzige Lichtblick: der attraktive, aber unnahbare Gabriel Swift. Als April am Abend ihres ersten Schultags von einem mysteriösen Wesen attackiert wird, ist es Gabriel, der sie rettet. Doch eine Mitschülerin hat nicht so viel Glück – hatte Gabriel am Ende etwas mit der S...more
Klappenbroschur, 608 pages
Published August 20th 2012 by Goldmann (first published July 7th 2010)

FashionDayDreamer
Okay, well the first bad thing that comes to mind is the line that basically Twilight said, and it's pretty bad, quote: "You're a honey trap for vampires. Everything about you is designed to draw them in: the way you look, the sound of your voice, even your smell."

Not to mention pages after pages of long paragraphs dribbling on about nothing. Seriously - get to the point. And when it does get to the point, like Twilight , it all erupts at the end of the book. So basically you have to read up to...more
Amanda
April is deeply upset when her father takes a job at a small paper in London, and moves his wife and daughter from Edinburgh to do so. At first she is just miserable because she misses her friends and has to start a new school, Ravenwood, where many of the students are either stunningly beautiful or frighteningly clever. But then the deaths start, and April realises that she might be in danger as well. Suddenly there is no one she can trust — not even the beautiful and mysterious Gabriel, who Ap...more
Viohlet
Jan 06, 2011 Viohlet rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like whiny, bratty, un-likeable lead characters
*Taken from my original review on my blog*

Not gonna lie, the cover intrigued me, and the back of the cover synopsis just built on that curiosity. However, when I began reading it, everything went downhill. Fast.

Mia James is a pseudonym used by Tasmina Perry and John Perry.
Quite frankly, I was surprised that a woman of her age had written, or at least contributed towards the writing of it, as I was genuinely convinced a young woman of around 18-21 (one who was rather shallow, immature and unimagi...more
chucklesthescot
OK why did I hate this book? I read the first 23 pages and it seems well written enough despite the usual plot of girl-goes-to-snobby-school-and-is-picked-on-by-bitches-then-spooky-stuff-happens. I thought maybe it might be better than some of these school based crappies that I've read recently.

Instead the author managed to totally piss me off with her continued negative steriotypes of Edinburgh and Scotland which were totally untrue and give a very false and inaccurate view of life here, making...more
Winged_One
Can I smack her? Can I? It started to pick up 80% of the way through the book, but April didn't mature or wise up even when she started to know the truth. I couldn't finish it because she continued to annoy me so much.
Deni's Inkberries
Alright.. So I got this, and there really were parts I enjoyed. Yet, still, I have to agree, the book really did go on, and on, and on. Unbearable at some point!

-Spoilers Ahead-

I won't say it's a bad book; because it isn't. I've overlooked the whole quote from Twilight thing, seriously guys, we get it. I read many reviews about it as well, but still, we get it. Taken from Twilight, yada yada.

Now, one thing I truly adored about it, was the amount of research put into it. Really, who can do so muc...more
Pamela Todd
By Midnight is one of those hard books to review. I won't give a recap of the plot outline as this has already been done, instead give my thoughts while I was reading it.

The first was that By Midnight isn't at all what you think its going to be. While reading the back in the bookshop the other day I thought, I kinda want to read this, but feel like I've already read it. Couldn't have been further from the truth.

While yes, By Midnight has supernatural elements and the good old fashioned human-vam...more
Rachael
My biggest problem (when it comes to my unhealthy book obsession ;D) is I cannot just put the book down and walk away when I'm not enjoying it. I have to read the entire book. Word for word. Top to bottom. Counting the pages until it ends. And so on and so on...and that is how i feel about "By Midnight".

The characters were lifeless. There was no connection, no passion between any of the characters. Not with friendship, family or the love interest.
I could feel the author trying but it never real...more
Charlotte Rogers
I loved this book it. I cried and i laughed but i thought that she acted silly because i thought that the she was a bit simple. but it just made her like a normal teenager.
i hope i dont have to wait 4 years for the next ravenwood mystery as it is left open for a series and i am like please please be another i felt lost without it.
The plot murders are happening all of the village and then when one happens to someone close to her she vows to find out who did and why not knowing she could be in mo...more
Emma Louise
Inge

Pros
+ Absolutely loved the setting of the book. London, Highgate, Ravenwood, the cemetery, it was all very well done.
+ The authors gave us really elaborate stories about the history of the vampires, the Furies and all that. It's what draws me to these books, not the romance. It was very interesting and nicely done. Also the Gill's bookstore and her dad's job, both connected to the stories, were great.
+ No insta-love. Well, they called each other 'girlfriend' and 'sort-of-boyfriend' afte...more
April isn't happy about being forced to leave Edinburgh behind to move to London with her parents - all because her father lost his job. She is struggling to fit in at her new school and make friends but things get even worse when she almost witnesses a murder. Strange things are happening at Ravenwood but who can she trust to help her solve the mystery?

Being a massive vampire fan I was really looking forward to reading By Midnight, especially as it is set in London which I thought would add som...more
Jennifer H.
I have always admired authors that give their story/characters ample time to build and develop. I love lush details and descriptions, and digging deep into a characters mind to find out what makes them tick. It can make any 400+ page book fly by where you are so caught up in it that you want to savor every word, every page until the very end.

Unfortunately, for me, that wasn't the case with "By Midnight" by Mia James. It truly felt like I had been reading this book for MONTHS. (Instead of just o...more
Lizzie
Two stars feels like a push for this book. If you ignore the obvious 'I-spawned-from-Twilight' feel of the whole thing, it was forgettable. I've read just this kind of thing before, and I was really drawn in by the blurb just to be disappointed. I was also disappointed (because there are not enough in YA fiction) that the author was British because... well. April was selfish, nearly insufferable to read at some points, and the only redeeming thing I can think of is that some teenagers are, unfor...more
Rhea
I really liked this book.

It's a mixture between fallen and twilight only so much better...I liked the twists in it and the emotions that are so much stronger than twilight, and April is so much better than Bella because she has more depth to her and Gabriel isnt everything and all that.

The weirdest thing about it was my name is April and it was really strange reading my name all the time haha

but i would recommend it to everyone who like paranormal romance!!!!
Bigbird
If you like paranormal romance, you'll love this. Has all the elements of Twilight but the big difference is this has a really good mystery and it's actually set in the UK! Loved the character of April much more feisty than Bella and the fact that the teenagers actually act like teenagers - there's kissing and drinking (shock!). Really recommend it.
Megan
I absolutely loved this book as it was a totaly different type of vampire book to twilight. This meant that I was pretty much drawn to it straight away and im glad I ended up reading it. So if you enjoy books like twilight etc. but want to read a book that is quite a bit different, you would probably enjoy this.
Siobhan
By Midnight has to be the best YA vampire book I've read knocks Twilight out of the water. The characters are much more intersting, as soon as I started I couldn't stop reading.
Ashley
I love it!! I am so excited for the next one!!
This is one book that has a twist your never get!
Serendipity Reviews
As soon as I discovered that this book was set in Highgate Cemetery I had to read it. Highgate Cemetery is just one of those places that is a character in itself and one I am desperate to visit. This book did not disappoint in giving it its own omnipresent character status, looming supernaturally over the whole story, shrouding it within darkness and weaving ghostly threads throughout the whole book.

This book has the creep factor, leaving you shivering at the thought of it. I loved the fact tha...more
Carmen Belgium
I liked this book, read it in one go! It could keep me intrigued all the time, and that's gotta be worth something!

Btw, make sure to check out the videos at http://www.ravenwoodmysteries.com/, they rock!

This book touched me deep, because some things I can very much relate to and I really do understand the pain April goes through, it cuts me like a knife.

Okay, there are vampires in this book and yes they can walk in daylight, but at least they don't sparkle ^^ You just don't notice anything spe...more
Andreea

My thoughts:

I discovered By Midnight by accident on Goodreads and since the synopsis sounded interesting, I wanted to read it. And I am glad that I did, because I really enjoyed this book despite its flaws. I knew that this book would be about vampires after I've read the German synopsis, but this book was more than just the typical -girl falls in love with boy and then finds out that he's a vampire- paranormal novel. There was something going on at Ravenw...more
Bianca
**Spoilers**

This book for me sounded far better than what it actually was. I liked April as a character but she became annoying after a while. She gets so caught up in herself all of the time, she doesn't stop to realise that other people have problems too. I also think she has a serious case of bipolar. One minute were head over heels for Gabriel the next minute we think he is the murderer, we hate him, then we love him... I just found it hard to keep up with April's emotions. She seems to jump...more
Yolanda Sfetsos
♥  Erika  ♥
Nov 27, 2010 ♥ Erika ♥ rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young Adults Paranormal Romance/Mystery
Recommended to ♥ Erika ♥ by: No one, I read the back and thought it would good
Shelves: favorites
This book was absolutely amazing, better than i had expected! There is already the blurb of the book instead I will give you my thoughts on the book. This book has great detail on scenes and the description on the characters. Mia gives the reader mixed emotions on how the character is feeling which makes you feel like you are feeling the exact same way as the character. If you are looking for a paranormal romance and a mystery this would be a great book for you, especially for those twilight fan...more
Zanthie * ♫ The Music Freak ♪ *
I liked this book. It was unusual, and I liked the fact that the concept of 'vampire' changed again in this book. The vampires can go out in daylight, without sparkling, burning etc. but they do not show up on camera or video records.
The story itself was quite good-April Dunne is happy with her life, until she has to move to a dull village called Highgate. She has to attend a posh school for the super rich and the genii of the country, and fitting in will be a real challenge. She finds friendsh...more
Liberty Gilmore
What’s Good About It

In a market more than saturated with ‘my boyfriend is a vampire’ novels, it’s a breath of fresh air to read a story with real mystery, threat and intrigue. That just happens to have vampires. Okay, so a lot of the tropes are present – Gabriel is gorgeous and mysterious and slightly creepy – but whereas in many of these sorts of books the plot is essentially ‘when are they going to get together’, By Midnight’s story has a lot more depth.

There are some truly shocking turns of e...more
Mel Campbell
I just noticed this book on a pile of books I was hoping to sell secondhand. I remember enjoying it even though it's quite clumsily written (though, as I've observed before, that seems to be par for the course in supernatural YA romance) and owes an obvious debt to Twilight, especially the idea that the vampire hero is attracted to our heroine not because of her intelligence or personality or even really her looks, but some gross, objectifying quality like her scent or her blood or her latent po...more
Lielan
Mia James erster "Ravenwood" Teil "Die Schule der Nacht" ist mal ein ganz anderes Akademie Buch. Eigentlich kann man es gar nicht wirklich als Akademie Buch bezeichnen, denn Ravenwood ist eine Schule für Intelligenzbestien und Kinder mit reichen Eltern, die sich die Aufnahmegebühr leisten können. Ravenwood ist kein Internat und normalerweise spielen Akademie Bücher auf Internaten.

Leider haben mir die ersten 100-200 Seiten dieses Jugendbuchs überhaupt nicht gefallen. Die Seiten zogen sich extrem...more
Wee Shubba (Totally Bookalicious)
I bought this book for two reasons. Firstly, I was drawn to this book because of the cover (I know I shouldnt but I tend to always go for the cover first) It really stands out and captures the darkness in the story. Secondly, it is set in England, I found this a great change from most YA books in this genre being set in America.

By Midnight its a very good read and really keeps you interested from start to finish. By Midnight takes you on an emotional rollercoaster that I found myself crying on a...more
Worth The Read 3 11 Nov 19, 2012 12:02PM
  • Shadows (Dark Touch, #1)
  • Under My Skin (Skinned, #1)
  • Tyme's End
  • Dark Heart Forever (Dark Heart, #1)
  • Secret Lives (Darke Academy, #1)
  • Dark Angel (Dark Angel, #1)
  • Winter's Shadow (Winter Saga, #1)
  • Mortal Kiss (Mortal Kiss, #1)
  • Wolf Blood
  • Shadow of the Hawk (Wereworld, #3)
  • Immortal Embrace (Embrace, #1)
  • A Witch in Winter (Winter Trilogy, #1)
  • Thin Air (Thin Air Saga, #1)
  • The Glass Demon
  • Ferryman
  • Angel
  • Friend or Fae
  • Echoes (Fingerprints, #1-3)
Darkness Falls (Ravenwood Mysteries, #2) Sleeping Angel (Ravenwood Mysteries, #3) Die Schule der Nacht: Ravenwood - Roman (German Edition) Gefangene der Dämmerung: Ravenwood 2 - Roman (German Edition) Der schlafende Engel: Ravenwood 3 - Roman

“Break the spine of one of my books and I break yours.” 213 likes