Start by marking “Pet prijatelja u cirkusu (Famous Five, #5)” as Want to Read:
Pet prijatelja u cirkusu (Famous Five, #5)

Pet prijatelja u cirkusu (The Famous Five #5)

3.96  ·  Rating Details ·  8,949 Ratings  ·  171 Reviews
Djeca mogu izabrati kamo će na odmor. Upoznaju dječaka Nobbyja te odlučuju iznajmiti kamper i krenuti za cirkusom. U cirkusu rade Dan i Lou koji su jako neprijateljski raspoloženi prema njima. Odluče otići u planine, ali ni tamo nisu sigurni od opasnog para...
Published 1990 by Mladinska knjiga (first published 1946)

Paul
Jan 08, 2016 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another exciting entry into the Famous Five series... This one has a gentle start (especially compared to the beginning of book four) but the action really ramps up once you get past the halfway mark.

Timmy the dog has become my favourite character. In this book, he always seems to be one restraining hand away from a berserker rage!

This one will be especially harrowing for anyone who has a phobia of clowns... You have been warned!

Buddy read with Sunshine Seaspray
Michael
Nov 04, 2015 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Or more correctly: Five Go Off in Mobile Larders. After deciding against a walking holiday (fitting several tons worth of ginger beer and a small mountain of lovely vittles into their pack might be a bit tricky) and having failed to hire a fleet of Ocado vans the children head off.
Loved this one as a child. I immediately drew up plans to go on a similar Mobile Larder expedition with a select group of my school chums. Our destination: Loch Ness. In between copious and frequent scoffing we'd disc
Ahmad Sharabiani
Five Go Off in a Caravan, Enid Blyton
عنوان: ماجرای سیرک؛ انید بلیتون؛ مترجم: حسین فیض اللهی؛ تبریز، تلاش، 1364، 149 ص
Kavita
May 30, 2016 Kavita rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, children, uk
The Five are allowed to go off by themselves in a caravan because 'Timmy is there' and 'Daddy has to go away for a while'. In Blyton-land, no one ever took care of their children. Obviously not! Why would they do such a thing? But that's what makes these books so delightful! The Five come across a circus and decide to camp next to them. Before they know it, they are embroiled in a crazy adventure with stolen goods, a gang of thieves, clowns, a circus boy, and a chimpanzee.

I think my favourite c
Eustacia Tan
Jun 06, 2012 Eustacia Tan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's official. At heart, I am a big fan of the cozy mystery. While deciding what books I should read for this challenge, I quickly decided on a trip down memory lane, reading what was my favourite childhood mystery series (and my favourite childhood author) - Five Go Off in a Caravan.

The Famous Five (Julian, Dick, Anne, George and faithful Timmy) are on yet another summer holiday (They're always having holidays). This time, they decide to go on a caravan trip and follow the Circus. Of course, it
Eliza

Things I learned from reading Five Go Off in a Caravan:

1. It's totally fine for 8 - 12 year olds to go on road trips with no supervision
2. Make friends with strangers, it'll probably be super fun and totally fine. Except Tiger Dan, avoid Tiger Dan (the clue is in the name).
3. There will always be a convenient unpolluted, crystal clear and delicious stream to drink from and wash your clothes in.
4. Don't worry about feeding yourself, just get Anne to cook everything. Oh, and she'll wash up and cle
Catherine
I'm reading through this kid's series which I never read as a kid. A good yarn but kinda perfunctory- the first in the series was better. Most surprising thing in this one- the kind of freedom these kids had to do their own thing without parental supervision- not something that would happen today!
Jake Collins
Standard Famous Five fare with some surly circus folk and a cache of stolen goods.
Annette
Dec 12, 2014 Annette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favourite Famous Five tales - the awesome improbabilities of it all. Loved it as a kid, still love it.
Farseer
Jan 20, 2017 Farseer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bartolomeu De Bensafrim
Garlic Junior deixou-me a sua colecção de Kurosawa, Bergman e Chaplin.
assustadoramente, começo a sentir-me um pouco em casa neste belo sotão. tudo dourado e mágico com a luz da salamandra. o silêncio.
enrolo-me numa manta, e viajo para o japão feudal, embebido em alguma felicidade.

continuo a parir estas deploráveis amálgamas de palavras. não compreendo o que pode o homem querer com isto.

Timmy
no circo
ladrando às orcas que flutuam
mágicas e ligeiras
baixo os holofotes acolhedores.

o público
de mãos
Natalie
Not one of my favourites in the series but still well done regardless. I must be very biased towards Kirrin Island because I never seem to enjoy the books in this series quite so much if Kirrin Island isn't involved...

Going to start the next one in the series now - and looking forward to it!
Bethsheba Meliala
This book wasn't my fav famous five book. It's not as mysterious and as adventurous as the previous ones. But yeah, it's still quite good and fun.
Uday Kalia
Mar 12, 2017 Uday Kalia marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
good book
Dani Noviandi
Berkelana. Itulah judul buku Lima Sekawan nomer lima ini. Sebenarnya judul asli buku ini ialah Go Off In A Caravan. Entah mengapa unsur “karavan” di judul aslinya dihilangkan dan diganti dengan judul Berkelana, yang sama sekali kurang mencerminkan apa dan bagaimana Lima Sekawan kita ini berpetualang.

Ada yang baru di buku ini, Lima Sekawan kali ini berlibur musim panas di kediaman Julian, Dick dan Anne. Ini adalah liburan musim panas ketiga anak-anak tersebut setelah pertama kalinya mereka dipert
David Sarkies
Jun 10, 2012 David Sarkies rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who love kids adventures
Recommended to David by: My Dad
Shelves: adventure
Darn those meddlesome kids
10 June 2012

This is the first Famous Five book where they do not begin their adventure at, or near, Kirrin Cottage. Neither do Uncle Quentin and Aunt Fanny make an appearance. In fact, this is the first book where we actually meet the children's mother and father, though it is only a short scene at the beginning. They don't actually have names, despite George not needing to refer to them, though I notice she does not address them by any title (and in a way it is probab
Katie Grainger
Five go of in a Caravan is the fifth Famous Five book in the series and follows the five as they head off caravaning on their own during the summer holidays. With no adult supervision they head off with only the promise to write every day to their parents (not sure this would happen today even with mobile phones) in two old style caravans with horses.

The five follow a circus into the hills and enjoy meeting Nobby, this elephant and chimpanzee Pongo. Nobby has a suspicious Uncle Dan who disappear
Emily Smith
Apr 15, 2012 Emily Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Famous Five:
Five Go off in a Caravan

The famous five is made out of Julian, Anne, Dick, George and Timmy. Julian is the eldest out of all the children, being twelve in the beginning of the series. He’s usually the leader in all of the five’s activities and adventures. Dick is Julian’s younger brother, who’s eleven at the start of the series. He’s very cheeky and is protective of his younger sister Anne. Anne is the youngest out of all of them, being a year younger than Dick and George. She us
Big Book Little Book
Helen for Big Book Little Book

I devoured the Famous Five books when I was a child, so when I spotted this in Oxfam I felt a trip down memory lane was in order. It was very much how I remembered it and I still enjoyed it. Of course my adult eyes do read things a little differently it’s not all as perfect as I used to think, I mean who would let four kids (at least if they are supposed to be between 10 and 14 years old) go off alone in a caravan these days?!

In this story the Five go off on hols i
Rahmi Susiswanti
Seperti halnya cerita petualangan lainnya, pingin segera tahu endingnya seperti apa... Akhir yang menyenangkan tentunya...

Lima sekawan adalah Julian, Dick, George, Anne dan tentu saja Timmy, anjing kecil yang cukup galak milik George. Kemanapun mereka pergi pasti ada petualangan yang seru dan menyenangkan.

Liburan kali ini, karena melihat arak arakan sirkus di depan rumah memakai caravan, lima sekawan memutuskan untuk menyewa dua caravan dan berkemah di bawah bukit dekat rombongan sirkus, mereka
D.M. Dutcher
Five kids with incredibly lax parents are allowed to take a horse-drawn motor home and enjoy a vacation on the lake by themselves. No seriously. I thought at first the caravan would be more like a vardo-a gypsy wagon-but no, it's a regular airstream-style thing with electricity. Anyways, they run into a traveling circus, make friends with a scrappy lower-class sidekick, and get involved in a mystery.

Highlights include the sidekick's pet chimpanzee trying to violently murder in the face the two a
Albert
Feb 18, 2017 Albert marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
BCCGHGHH
JT
Sep 29, 2015 JT rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the book Five Go Off in a Caravan, three teenagers one 9 year old and one dog go caravanning with a circus group. When caravanning the Famous Five meet another kid named Nobby. Nobby's parents died a long time ago and now he is living with his mean uncle Dan, nicknames Tiger Dan, who is the head clown in the circus group. Tiger Dan is always hurting and whipping Nobby for almost everything he does and as you could expect he is afraid of him. Not until the end of the book, all 6 learn that the ...more
Lisa
Jan 12, 2015 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the fifth of the Famous Five books but I'm reading them in whatever haphazard order the library hold system produces them in. This one is quite sweet and not a little scary - the villains are truly villainous and not above murder and child abuse.

Also, the tiara in the book sounds much prettier than the one on this unfortunate reissued cover.

Enid Blyton's books went through a period of criticism for displaying classism and bullying and such, and I did feel the discrepancies in the class p
Carina
I do think there are only so many of these you can read as an adult and not be overly impressed. A lot of books require suspension of disbelief which, as a child is incredibly simple to do but as adults is a lot harder. This is one of the series which requires a greater amount of suspension than I am willing to provide.

That said, this is a childrens book and I think children will like this, the fifth Famous Five book, much more than some of the earlier ones. This is due to the circus, the perfor
Kirsti
Nov 16, 2011 Kirsti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Five go off in a caravan" was my absolute favorite Five book. I mean, the kids get to go off on their own in horse drawn caravans, and spend time with a chimpanzee and see all the animals in the circus! They get delicious food from a farm, and go swimming whenever they want! To me, it sounded like the best adventure ever, and I longed to join them.

I always felt so sorry for Nobby, getting beaten by his Uncle Lou. Reading it now, it seems a horrible case of child abuse, but reading it as a child
Ogheneruno
Sep 21, 2013 Ogheneruno rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

“ The Famous Five: five go off in a caravan” Book review

The famous five is a series of books written by Enid Blyton about four children and a dog, who go on really awesome adventures. In this series of the famous five, Julian, Dick, Anne, George and Timmy. They go on a caravans to a circus camp that was recomended by a boy called Ned. In the camp, they stumble across two mean circus people; an acrobat and a clown, who were hiding a very big secret! I would recommend this book to either parents
Dan Thompson
As a self-declared Famous Five fanatic, I find Five Go Off in a Caravan, perhaps, the most tepid adventure so far. Of course, I think it would appeal to its child audience, what with the circus animals including Pongo the chimp! But I get the sense that there really isn't much of an adventure here, not until the later stages of the book anyhow.

It moves along rather slowly, describing the children's holiday more than building up the obvious mysterious goings on with Tiger Dan and Lou. I quite lik
Nov 18, 2011 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've always wanted to read these books. My mum read them when she was younger and my grandma before her. So when my grandma bought me the box set of 10 for Christmas I couldn't believe my luck!
As always, Julian, Dick, George and Anne go on a holiday in summer. I'm so jealous of what those kids get up to and how mouth-watering their food is! In this book the food isn't described in detail like the previous books but they still sound amazing!
In this book the group of five (including Timmy of cou
Matt Linzey
One of my favourites! Thought I would get in the right mind-set for the upcoming PGCE year by spending a couple of lazy Summer days reading one of my childhood favs! 'Five go off in a caravan' sees the gang spend their holidays on a trip in a caravan when they meet up with a circus. All is not what it seems, especially with a few particular individuals from the circus group, and so begins the gang's adventure!

I found the initial few chapters quite slow, something I remembered from when I was you
  • The Third Form at St. Clare's (St. Clare's, #7)
  • Lima Sekawan: Menaklukkan Agen Rahasia (2)
  • The Mystery of the Whispering Mummy (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #3)
  • The Secret of the Crooked Cat (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #13)
  • Jeff Corwin: a Wild Life: The Authorized Biography
  • Sophie's Secret (Sophie, #2)
  • Mostly Sunny with a Chance of Storms
(See also her pen name Mary Pollock)

Born in 1897 in South London, Enid Mary Blyton was the eldest of three children, and showed an early interest in music and reading. She was educated at St. Christopher's School, Beckenham, and - having decided not to pursue her music - at Ipswich High School, where she trained as a kindergarten teacher. She taught for five years before her 1924 marriage to edito
More about Enid Blyton...

The Famous Five (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Five on a Treasure Island (Famous Five, #1)
  • Five Go Adventuring Again (Famous Five, #2)
  • Five Run Away Together (Famous Five, #3)
  • Five Go to Smuggler's Top (Famous Five, #4)
  • Five on Kirrin Island Again (Famous Five, #6)
  • Five Go Off to Camp (Famous Five, #7)
  • Five Get Into Trouble (Famous Five, #8)
  • Five Fall Into Adventure (Famous Five, #9)
  • Five on a Hike Together (Famous Five, #10)
  • Five Have a Wonderful Time (Famous Five, #11)

“I do love the beginning of the summer hols,' said Julian. They always seem to stretch out ahead for ages and ages.'
'They go so nice and slowly at first,' said Anne, his little sister. 'Then they start to gallop.”
33 likes
“Soon they were all sitting on the rocky ledge, which was still warm, watching the sun go down into the lake. It was the most beautiful evening, with the lake as blue as a cornflower and the sky flecked with rosy clouds. They held their hard-boiled eggs in one hand and a piece of bread and butter in the other, munching happily. There was a dish of salt for everyone to dip their eggs into.

‘I don’t know why, but the meals we have on picnics always taste so much nicer than the ones we have indoors,’ said George.”
23 likes