Start by marking “Girl, Going on 17: Pants on Fire” as Want to Read:
Girl, Going on 17: Pants on Fire

Girl, Going on 17: Pants on Fire (Jess Jordan #3)

3.72  ·  Rating Details ·  1,084 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
It's never fun when a great summer comes to an end.

Particularly when one argues with one’s adorable, but grossly insensitive, boyfriend the night before school starts. It’s such a terrible fight, Jess doesn’t know—are they broken up? Should she apologize? Too bad Jess is spending all her time in detention and can’t talk to Fred to figure it out. A sadistic new English teac
Published October 12th 2010 by Laurel Leaf (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Girl, Going on 17, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Girl, Going on 17

Jade Nichole
Jess and her boyfriend, Fred, get into a huge fight and break up. The school year then starts again after a long summer. Jess and Fred continue to ignore each other and try to make each other jealous by talking to other people. School starts to be a big struggle for Jess.Her English teacher tries to change her attitude, but she continues to make the same mistakes. A lot of things have changed within six months, the good and the bad all made quite an interesting end to this novel. I recommend thi ...more
Karen
Jul 22, 2015 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Better than the last. Funny. LOL
Arminzerella
Irina
May 18, 2009 Irina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Emily Watters
Mar 01, 2016 Emily Watters rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Girl, Going on 17: Pants on Fire by Sue Limb, continues the story of the beloved Jess Jordan. Things had been going great during the summer, her visiting her dad and his significant other, her relationship with Fred, and Granny throwing the ashes of Grandpa out to sea. But her bliss doesn't last long once the summer comes to a close. A huge fight with Fred, her moms Japanese pupil learning English, and the new language arts teacher, Miss Thorn. With Jess being on the LOL List, loss of leisure, t ...more
ellemaddy
I started reading this series when I was 15, I think, and I remember the first book was hilarious, the second one not so much, and this one is just... no. In the first book Jess was in love with Ben Jones, only the most popular guy and the hottest guy in her school. She spent half of her time imagining scenarios about her crush and thinking about how small her breasts were (which she named Bonnie and Clyde! I mean really, Jess is out of her mind.)
The second one is about Jess going on a road trip
Clarabel
Feb 13, 2012 Clarabel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Une série à laquelle je suis très attachée.
Cette fois Jess apparaît vulnérable, par la faute de son petit copain qui lui joue un vilain tour la veille de la rentrée. Elle qui flottait sur un petit nuage connaît la chute libre, de plus son prof d'anglais est en arrêt maladie et remplacé par Miss Epine, alias Tyranosaure. Ajoutez que sa meilleure amie Flora décroche le rôle que Jess convoitait, plus ce garçon très sexy, qu'elle adorait l'année d'avant, ne cesse de la coller, ce qui voudrait dire q
Courtney
When Jess' boyfriend, Fred, jokes that he wants to keep their relationship a secret at school this year, Jess isn't so sure it's a joke! Suddenly they are at war... and as usual, Jess' topsy-turvy life makes the entire thing funnier than anyone would have guessed.

This book was my least favorite of the trilogy. It attempted to rehash old ground from the first and the second books, without any new illumination and with few new characters. Fans of the trilogy will enjoy it, but browsing readers wil
Anna
Mar 20, 2011 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Anna by: fans of Jess Jordan
Having listened to the first two books in this series, I was actually pretty excited to read this one. They don't have it available on audio but that was okay because by this point I was pretty into the characters, especially Jess and Fred. I was a little bit surprised by how they break up in the beginning but I thought the whole book was well written and very engaging. Jess is a likable protagonist and even though she keeps screwing up, you can't help but root for her. I liked the story lines t ...more
Pearl
Jul 11, 2013 Pearl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who loves British humor foremost
First of all you have to read the previous books to get the full jitz of this book because I'm seeing reviews that they havnt heard of the Jess Jordan Series yet before they picked this book up to read so read Girl 15 Insane and Girl going on 16 Torture (not the full titles just some key words)
Anyway this was hilarious. Jess' life is so complicated you wanna laugh yet cry for her at the same time. Her imperfections can also relate to many other girls. I recommend this if you're a fun person who'
Celia
Oct 06, 2009 Celia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-lit
What a fun, funny book. Jess Jordan is a British teen, a little overweight, but with a huge sense of humor. Unfortunately, she gets into so much trouble on the very first day of the new school term, that it looks as if her life is doomed. Jess deals with her problems the way she knows best, by being outrageously funny. A good read for 7-8th graders. They will need to know a few British words, like loo and knickers.
Natalie
Feb 24, 2011 Natalie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So funny! Summer's over and school is starting again, but Fred and Jess have a major row, and then there is the horrid new English teacher, who want's to eat Jess for lunch, and her Mom is dating someone young enough to be her son....how will Jess ever cope?

Watching Jess deal with all the traumas in her life and creating many of her own, is a delight. These books make me laugh so hard. I love British humor.
Heather
Jun 30, 2012 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen-books
I really enjoyed this book.It had some realy funny parts, and I always laughed when Jess got into a scrape. I would recommend this book to everybody with a sense of humor.

One thing that bugged me about this book was Fred. I thought that after Jess knowing Fred for so long, she would know his personality better. For example Jess should know when Fred is mad and when he isn't, because twice in the series they have had misunderstandings.
Catherine
After a tedious first chapter that tries to bring you up to speed (its a sequel novel), I started to really enjoy the character in this book. By the halfway mark her antics had me laughing out loud. Ending was predictable but isn't that what you're looking for in a novel of this sort?
I'll read the next one (or the one before it) if I happen across them.
ReadingToTheStarsAndBack
Sue Limb is Queen of Hilarity. She is just awesome! Every book i have read from her, (so far it stands at three books) has a part in it when i have to laugh out loud. Unfortunatly, i was reading Pants on Fire yesterday...in a shop. Bad idea. I laughed so explosivly that the book fell out of my hands. Not cool.

Vee xD
~*kath*~
Jun 24, 2012 ~*kath*~ rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rule-of-50
Ugh, used the word "retarded" as a slang for "foolish" within the first few pages. I know teenagers use that word, but seeing it used in this book is like confirmation that it is OK. Authors, it's not ok - EVER.

Wouldn't even give it away. Charity bin for this one.
Sunshie
Jan 11, 2010 Sunshie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As it is with most books I didn't find Sue Limb's 3rd book about Jess as intriguing as the first. It was still very entertaining though. I had to stop reading several times to avoid having the book taken by a teacher.
Jasmin
Feb 19, 2010 Jasmin is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Im almost done with the book and sad there is no more to the series, because this book is so good i wish it was made into a movie. Anyone that enjoys a good laugh and a sob story should more then likely read this book.
Eleanor
Jan 25, 2015 Eleanor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow! This book is hilarious, capturing the thoughts of a teenage budding-stand-up-comedian brilliantly. Jess is funny, likeable and witty, but happens to have the worst first term ever. Miss Thorn is deliciously evil, and Mr Powell, the darling angel he is, is frightening and realistic.
Maria
This was as far as I got with the series - I guess I grew out of it and lost interest before the author finished writing! If I remember correctly, this was my least favourite of the bunch, but, again, another easy teen read and a great one for fans of British humour.
Elise
Jun 23, 2008 Elise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How can a girl get so unlucky in one school year? Jess has a lot of embarrasing moments and some a really recognizable.
Kat
Feb 22, 2008 Kat rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2008, ya
This one was definitely more engaging than the first two in the series. I still wouldn't recommend it, though.
Jessica
Jan 30, 2009 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a little embarrassed about it, but I love this series. It is so juvenile and irreverent. Perfect reading for de-stressing.
It won't let me, but I give it 4 stars.
Amy
An astute reader noticed that I'd put the review for Pants on Fire by Maggie Alderson. Mistake fixed now. Nothing to see here...move along please.
Corinne
Fred has gray eyes. The cover has them as blue.
Re-read. Fred sure is cute and Jess gets herself into such angsty positions. Has typical slow build up to a good ending.
Kate
Jul 23, 2008 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3rd book in the series. Still funny. I have re-read all of these books, trying to dissect why and how Sue Limb does it! She is just too hilarious.
Caoimhe
Apr 02, 2012 Caoimhe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sue-limb
This book was really good but maybe just not good enough for 5 stars it was also the second think book I have ever read and trust me that means something
Gracie
Jan 29, 2014 Gracie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is really exciting, funny and so romantic!! I wish this wasn't the last book to the Jess Jordan series!!
Mandy (Tea and Toast)
Absolutley hilarious! Love Jess Jordans character. this is definentley a laugh out loud kind of book and enjoyed reading it. :)
Taylor
Aug 17, 2009 Taylor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such fun, these books. Jess's voice just jumps off the page, I often forget it's written in 3rd person and not first. Good fun to read the Jess Jordan books when you want something light and frothy.
  • My Rocky Romance Diary (Diaries of Kelly Ann, #4)
  • Me, In Between
  • Dumped by Popular Demand (The Social Experiments of Dorie Dilts, #1)
  • Six Kinds of Sky: A Collection of Short Fiction
  • Jag är ju så jävla easy going
  • Majix: Notes from a Serious Teen Witch
  • One Tough Chick
  • Som jag vill vara
  • Class Favorite
  • Go Your Own Way (Go Your Own Way, #1)
  • Isn't it Romantic?
  • Forever Rose (Casson Family, #5)
  •  How to Rock Break-Ups and Make-Ups
  • The Sound of Your Voice, Only Really Far Away
  • The Great Powers Outage (The Extraordinary Adventures of Ordinary Boy, #3)
  • A Girl in Parts
  • Devon Delaney Should Totally Know Better (Devon Delaney, #2)
  • Popular Clone (The Clone Chronicles, #1)

Jess Jordan (7 books)
  • Girl, Barely 15: Flirting for England (Jess Jordan, #0.5)
  • Girl, 15, Charming but Insane (Jess Jordan, #1)
  • Girl, Nearly 16: Absolute Torture (Jess Jordan, #2)
  • Girl, 16: Five Star Fiasco (Jess Jordan, #4)
  • Chocolate SOS (Jess Jordan, #5)
  • Party Disaster! (Jess Jordan, #6)

“(Flora) "No, Jess- it'll take hours. Just go and see Mr. Powell and fess up. It's the only way. Crawl and grovel and offer to do all sorts of remedial thingies. That's what I do with my dad. And do it with captivating feminine charm. That always works on Dad. I stroke his hair. It never fails."
"I can't stroke Mr. Powell's hair, for God's sake!" A horrible hallucination flashed through Jess's mind.”
1 likes
“Sit down," she said. She pushed the plate across the table towards him. The smell of the lemon was very alluring. Fred sat down, stirred his coffee, and looked at the cake with a kind of distant admiration.
"Can't quite manage the cake yet," he said. "Too terrified to eat."
"Terrified?" said Jess. "Of what?"
"Well, of you, of course. As you know cowardice is the bedrock of my character. It's taken me hours to summon up the courage to come here. I even had to have a vitamin C tablet.”
1 likes