Start by marking “Baby Signs for Bedtime” as Want to Read:
Baby Signs for Bedtime

Baby Signs for Bedtime

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  48 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
'Baby Signs For Bedtime' demonstrates signs for communication with adults, before a child can talk, using gestures for words and concepts associated with bedtime.
Published January 21st 2003 by HarperFestival

To ask other readers questions about Baby Signs for Bedtime, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baby Signs for Bedtime

Alicia
Jun 26, 2009 Alicia rated it liked it
After having used these signs with my daughter I then learned some of the real adult signs. I know they made the baby signs easier for babies, but Nakyla was always so verbal she learned to say the word before she learned the sign and now I wish we had only done the grown up signs because I think the would be more useful in the long run.
Jay
Apr 19, 2009 Jay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
On the left side is a picture of a stuffed animal (and in half there is also a picture of the real animal); on the right side there is a picture of a baby making the sign. The idea is to point to the picture, say the word, and make the sign. I think it is interesting that using photos of stuffed animals implies that the babies are more familiar with the stuffed versions than the real animals. I imagine that historically people lived in rural settings more so children were exposed to the real ani ...more
Marmee Zen
Mar 30, 2012 Marmee Zen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Making up signs is like using baby talk "goo goo gaga" and such. It may have an occasional use but I don't want to waste our time on "learning it" or reading a whole book of it. Adapting ASL signs for baby fingers is common and acceptable language development and would have been a great complement to the cute pictures.
Shannon
Jan 04, 2008 Shannon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Blakely LOVES these books! I checked them out from the library along with some other books and whenever I ask her to pick out a book to read she grabs one of the baby sign books. So now I am going to buy all four for her.

The Frog sign is my favorite to watch Blakely do!
Deb
Mar 01, 2012 Deb rated it liked it
I tried to point out the happy babies at sleep time to E. She isn't buying it. But, during the day she likes to look at these happy faces, even if she isn't doing any of the signs. From reading reviews I see these aren't the real ASL signs anyway.
Shannon
Jan 04, 2008 Shannon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Lisa
Apr 16, 2010 Lisa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't like this book because it's not true ASL that Deaf adults sign with. I know that babies and toddlers use variants, but I don't believe it's ok to sign the wrong sign to them.
Lisa
Apr 16, 2010 Lisa rated it did not like it
Shelves: baby
Ubalstecha
Nice clear pictures of young children doing the signs. Problem is that most of the signs in here are concepts, not concrete objects. So not really practicle for babies.
Shelly
Jul 07, 2011 Shelly rated it really liked it
Good, appropriate signs and pictures to demonstrate them. Wish there were a few more signs included.
K
Jan 10, 2009 K rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
It does not use ASL signs. Ugh.
Saumya
Saumya marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Jill
Jill is currently reading it
Apr 01, 2016
Amie
Amie rated it liked it
Mar 23, 2016
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2016
Alicia
Alicia rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2016
Vicki
Vicki marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Sarah Gioia
Sarah Gioia rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2016
Dex
Dex added it
Feb 17, 2016
Brighid
Brighid rated it liked it
Sep 10, 2015
Jacki
Jacki rated it it was ok
Dec 20, 2015
Leann
Leann rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2015
Leann
Leann rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2015
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it liked it
May 03, 2015
Nkristis
Nkristis rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2015