Start by marking “Buy-In: Saving Your Good Idea from Getting Shot Down” as Want to Read:
Buy-In: Saving Your Good Idea from Getting Shot Down

Buy-In: Saving Your Good Idea from Getting Shot Down

3.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  356 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
You believe in a good idea. You know it could make a crucial difference for you, your organization, your community. You present it, hoping for enthusiastic support. Instead, you get confounding questions, inane comments, and verbal bullets. Before you know what’s hit you, your idea is dead, shot down.

It doesn’t have to be this way, say John Kotter and Lorne Whitehead. In B
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published October 6th 2010 by Brilliance Audio (first published August 17th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Buy-In, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Buy-In

Oleg Kagan
Kotter and Whitehead use the story of a community member lobbying for a private-public partnership in order to purchase new computers for a neighborhood library to teach how to handle a crowd when pitching a new idea. Obviously, I was hooked by the library in the plot but I kept reading because the useful ideas.

Buy-In begins when you, a community member who has worked hard on a proposal to get new computers into the local library, fail miserably at defending your idea against detractors. Luckil
Steve Whiting
The book is titled Buy-In with subtitle of "saving your good idea from getting shot down", and immediately this illustrates the main problem with the book - those are not the same thing at all.

The book presents a scenario (complete with cringe-inducing character stereotypes) and then shows various ways that a presentation of an idea could be attacked or derailed, and how to defend against them. Which is all well and good, and if you've ever listened to a skilled politican deflect and avoid ad h
Ilya Mrz
Jan 13, 2015 Ilya Mrz rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ms, 2015
Take-Aways

Every good idea or new approach is vulnerable to undeserved, unexpected attacks.
Those using them often play somewhat predictable roles, such as “Pompus Meani,”
“Allis Welli” and “Bendi Windi.”
You must respond effectively in order to gain the widespread support required for
your idea to succeed.
There are “four ways to kill a good idea: confusion, delay, ridicule and fear
mongering.” The most powerful attacks may combine two or three of these
strategies.
You can counter all four strategies, o
د.أمجد الجنباز
يتحدث الكتاب عن طرق حماية فكرتك والدفاع عنها في ظل الهجمات الشرسة التي قد تتعرض لها أثناء عرضها.
يتحدث في الكتاب عن أهم أربعة طرق لمهاجمة فكرتك وماهي آلية الرد عليها

ثم يتحدث عن طريقة مختلفة للإيقاع بفكرتك ويتحدث عن كيفية الاستعداد لها لابطالها

كتاب رائع وأنصح بقراءته
Ben
Nov 29, 2010 Ben rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This did not need to be a whole book. The simplification of the types of obstacles new ideas encounter is helpful for quick reference, and some of the stories are good examples, but it seemed too full of fluff for its less-than-200-page length.
Sam Huish
May 28, 2015 Sam Huish rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Students, Committees, Graduates, Engineers, Business Professionals
Recommended to Sam by: Audible
Although this book repeats a lot of common themes, which could be summarised more succinctly, this is still a very useful book. It explains the key arguments typically used to put down a good idea, and why they succeed, and how to deal with these situations.

This is not a book of retorts, nor a way of influencing people to do what you want through manipulation. It explains simply how to stop your ideas falling at hurdles at all stages of a proposal.

Would particularly recommend for students who a
Mazen Abualnassr
May 07, 2011 Mazen Abualnassr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was my first Business book in English . . . and even though the book has written by 2 authors,it was very coherent . an exceptionally realistic and helpful .
Gregory Peterson
Good ideas -- even terrific ideas -- often fail to get adopted when an advocate lacks the verbal communication skills to make persuasive presentations. As every public speaker knows, no two presentations are exactly alike -- but for the most part, the reasons a verbal communication fails to persuade are both predictable and preventable.

What's exciting about this book on effective advocacy is the sheer practicality of its prescribed approach t0 develop the power of persuasion. It's approach to ad
Chris
Dec 03, 2013 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Graeme Roberts
Feb 10, 2011 Graeme Roberts rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the preface to Buy-In: Saving Your Good Idea from Getting Shot Down, John Kotter and Lorne Whitehead say:

It would be wonderful if the good ideas you champion, on or off the job, could simply stand on their own. But far too often, this is not the case. Whether it’s a big bill before Congress, an innovative corporate strategy, or tonight’s plan for dinner and the movies, sensible ideas can be ignored, shot down, or, more often, wounded so badly that they produce little gain.

We have all experien
Frank Calberg
Sep 27, 2015 Frank Calberg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading the book, I learned, for example, about types of expressions that people, who resist change, may make. Examples are expressions that
- expressions that create fear,
- expressions that create delay,
- expressions that create confusion,
- expressions that ridicule people.

In the book, I also found useful advice on on how to handle resistance to change. Examples:
- Focus on the fact that we are living in times of tremendous change, for example technological change.
- In a changing environment, i
Hussain Al-ahmed
Jun 11, 2015 Hussain Al-ahmed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Practical strategies for overcoming resistance to change built on a hypothetical story. Kotter talks about 4 attack strategies that could be adapted by resistors to shutdown and idea.

1. Fear mongering
2. Death by delay
3. Confusion
4. Ridicule

He then continues to explain 24 scenarios that may arise from these strategies and the defence strategies you should use.
Michael Tarpinian
Parable story with silly naming/mnemonic devices that turned into a practical guide. Similar inn structure to Build to Sell.

Had great takeaway value.

While there are 24 Attacks and Responses, there are really are just four basic attack strategies:

Fear Mongering
Death by Delay
Confusion
Ridicule and Character Assassination
Adrian van Eeden
Nicely presented analogy. Some more academic types might argue that the book doesn't pursue the deeper reasons behind the characters and forms of resistance but even as someone who has extensively researched change, and a leader of change in organisations, I find the framework a useful tool to approach to stakeholder management on projects and look forward to testing the theories.
David
Aug 22, 2011 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I "read" this as an audiobook (CDs), and though I was driving while listening, I don't think I missed much because the book is rather simply laid out and just goes from one thing to another.

I will write more when I have time, but the reason I gave this 3stars was because it was interesting and I did like it, but it didn't really set me on fire, intellectually, emotionally, or spiritually. It was good, logical, and well presented, but rather like an uninspired lecture, or perhaps I should say, an
Theodore Kinni
Jan 20, 2016 Theodore Kinni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Lots of terrific tactical advice for dealing with nay-sayers when you're trying to convince a group to adopt a new idea.
FM
Jan 18, 2015 FM rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Expecting more of such an author
Cathy Allen
This is a good one... a fable followed by easily digested tidbits of practical advice for handling the most commonly-used methods of resisting new ideas (delay, confusion, character attacks, etc.) Now that I've read it, it will make a good reference manual for down the line whenever I am preparing a presentation for others on something I would like to try. Change management is always a leadership issue, and John Kotter is one of the best guides we have. Check out www.WhatisCathyReading.com to pi ...more
Bart-Jan
An interesting book around a checklist to use when you need buy-in on your idea(s). The first half is written as a business fable and the second half explains the theory behind it all. It reminds me of a book I read in Dutch ('De 50 manieren om dwars te liggen', translated: 50 ways to block a plan) which was very insightful too. Always be respectful and be prepared is one of the main themes. From the author of 'Our iceberg is melting' and 'a sense of urgency'
Oscia Wilson
Jan 27, 2013 Oscia Wilson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When you're pitching an idea to coworkers, bosses, clients--any time there is a group of people involved--the book posits that there are a limited number of objections that will come up. They are predictable, and if you're prepared to answer them correctly you have a much higher chance of adoption. Very useful info, but only if you're going to actually practice the stuff. It's not a "site back and read" kind of book. It's almost like a workbook.
Jeremy
Feb 08, 2011 Jeremy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
I'm generally a fan of the One Minute Manager style of teaching through story telling, but I thought that the story taking up most of the first half of this book was fairly worthless. I would recommend anyone wanting to read this book to skip the narrative, read the section describing the basic forms of response to criticism, and then keep the book handy to refer to the 24 types of common arguments when preparing for a proposal to a group.
Larry
May 16, 2014 Larry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good stuff. Keeping it on the I-Pad as reference material.
Roberto Estreitinho
A useful guide filled with tips to achieve "buy-in": the ability to sell your ideas even when your audience isn't receptive at first. The book guides us through a fictional debate where each of its stage is deconstructed and analysed to help us recognize typical reactions to new ideas, and how to hack an audience to achieve our goal in communicating them. Useful for anyone who's ever had to make a pitch.
Scott Harris
This management by parable account is a light read and overs a few tips that will resonate with the experience of most people who have ever faced the situation of getting a group of people to make a decision. While the characters are a bit exaggerated, they are nonetheless fairly recognizable and many readers will be thinking of poeple in their lives.
Dawn Trlak-Donahue
The first example in this book (listened to it)- was an hour long. It was very redundant and could have been edited.
Martin Hambalek
Yet another book of lists, but this one follows a story about a meeting where 24 pitfalls of change management are found. I did like how the 24 areas of buy in we're woven in. Some were simplistic though. The story reminded me of the homeowners association meetings I used to lead. So at least most of the 24 were relevant.
May-Ling
Oct 03, 2012 May-Ling rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: working-smart
concise, useful and pretty memorable. maybe i'm just saying that because the example used a library. :)

it's hard to retain all of the strategies, which the authors note, and i think it's a good book to keep around and reference when you're about to pitch an idea or change.
Jason
Apr 14, 2012 Jason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm still reading this book..and goshh im totally into it..it just keeps you so engaged with the story and u are so involved in it..and your learning the tricks of the trade simultaneously ..i love this !!..wish i could find more books just like this one
Melissa Acuna
Non-fiction business book on how to save good ideas from getting shot down. Highly applicable and easy to follow advice, with good insights into crowd mentality and why mob thinking can take over and defeat even the best, most logical idea.
Jack Vinson
Oct 21, 2010 Jack Vinson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good stuff. I really enjoyed this quick, straightforward read.
Also reference Kotter's website for the book http://www.kotterinternational.com/bu...
  • Appreciative Inquiry: A Positive Revolution in Change
  • Confronting Reality: Doing What Matters to Get Things Right
  • Judgment: How Winning Leaders Make Great Calls
  • The Naked Presenter: Delivering Powerful Presentations with or Without Slides
  • What I Didn't Learn in Business School: How Strategy Works in the Real World
  • Enterprise 2.0: How to Manage Social Technologies to Transform Your Organization
  • Maximum Influence: The 12 Universal Laws of Power Persuasion
  • Repeatability: Build Enduring Businesses for a World of Constant Change
  • Howard's Gift: Uncommon Wisdom to Inspire Your Life's Work
  • Finding the Next Steve Jobs: How to Find, Hire, Keep and Nurture Creative Talent
  • How to Change Minds: The Art of Influence without Manipulation
  • Seeing the Big Picture: Business Acumen to Build Your Credibility, Career, and Company
  • No One Ever Told Us That: Money and Life Letters to My Grandchildren
  • Sexy Little Numbers: How to Grow Your Business Using the Data You Already Have
  • Profitable Growth Is Everyone's Business: 10 Tools You Can Use Monday Morning
  • Flash Foresight: How to See the Invisible and Do the Impossible: Seven Radical Principles That Will Transform Your Business
  • Topgrading: How Leading Companies Win by Hiring, Coaching, and Keeping the Best People
  • Workarounds That Work: How to Conquer Anything That Stands Iworkarounds That Work: How to Conquer Anything That Stands in Your Way at Work N Your Way at Work
John P. Kotter, world-renowned expert on leadership, is the author of many books, including Leading Change, Our Iceberg is Melting, and The Heart of Change. He is the Konosuke Matsushita Professor of Leadership, Emeritus at the Harvard Business School, and a graduate of MIT and Harvard. He is co-founder of Kotter International, a leadership organization that helps Global 5000 company leaders devel ...more
More about John P. Kotter...