Start by marking “Youth Ministry 3.0: A Manifesto of Where We've Been, Where We Are and Where We Need to Go” as Want to Read:

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  126 ratings  ·  20 reviews
In Youth Ministry 3.0, you'll explore, along with Mark Oestreicher and the voices of other youth workers, why we need change in youth ministry. You'll get a quick history of youth ministry over the last 50 years. And you'll help dream about what changes need to take place in order to create the next phase of youth ministry---the future we need to create for effective minis ...more
Published November 4th 2008 by Zondervan Publishing Company (first published October 28th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Youth Ministry 3.0, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Youth Ministry 3.0

Crystal
He argues that we need to cut all the fluff and programming and focus on two main things: 1)communion with one another and 2) service. Communion is a little bit different than community – but basically means small groups of people (notice I didn’t say small groups as in programmed small groups!) hanging out for meals, conversation, and just genuine presence with one another. And service is, well, serving others. Those most in need. Reaching out to those who make us most uncomfortable in order th ...more
Tim Beck
An easy read and i would say a must read for anyone in partial or full time youth ministry. i say it's a must read simply because whether you will agree with everything Marko writes, it will cause you to take a step back and think about not only the state of Youth Ministry in general, but your youth ministry.

the first half of the book takes a deeper look at the evolution of youth ministry and the various stages it has gone through. Youth Ministry 2.0 (for much of the 80's, 90's and 00's) has by
Chris Mclain
I was a little disappointed. I expected this book to include more historical information about the phases of youth ministry in the US, and I hoped for some specific, concrete advice on how to reach students in the twenty-first century. Unfortunately I got a vague, emergent discussion of how small group ministry should be applied without any concrete definition. I got the impression that, once the author's suggestions are implemented, different subcultures in the youth group will be autonomous an ...more
Eric Dunn
Youth Ministry 3.0 is a very insightful book for anyone interested in what is going on with youth culture right now. It talks about three very distinct times in the "life" of youth ministry."Marko", as the author is called, talks about the different youth culture fixations, cultural influences, key themes, drivers, and theme verses for each of the 3 "versions" of youth ministry through the years.

Youth Ministry 1.0 is the original. Here is the breakdown for you:

Youth Culture Fixation: Identity
Cul
Susan Barnes
This is a very short book (126 pages) which gives a brief overview of youth ministry touching on what Mark Oestreicher believes have been the three major shifts in youth ministry over the last 50 years.

After his historical observations and research Mark Oestreicher comes to the conclusion that to reach the current generation of young people we need to focus on community and mission. As these are the two major things that today’s young people are seeking. They want deeper connections than social
Adam Walker Cleaveland
Just finished Marko's newest youth ministry book. I really enjoyed it - it challenges a lot of the preconceived notions about youth ministry today. Previously, one of my favorite books in youth ministry was Mark DeVries's "Sustainable Youth Ministry" - which I think still offers a lot. But...Marko's thoughts do offer a different perspective than Devries's.

For those who used to read Mike Yaconelli's stuff, you can see the influence of Yaconelli on Marko - and I think that's good. But Marko offers
Paul Kelly
While I think Marko has missed the point on some of what he says, I enjoyed the read. Marko is certainly right in this: we can't just keep doing what we have been doing and expect it to change the results we are getting. And I do think Marko's encouragement to pare back the never-ending activity and focus more on investing in kids is right on the money. Ultimately, we are not going to be successful if we can't help families to be places where faith is nurtured. I think this book is worth the rea ...more
Greg
The first half is VERY helpful and insightful.

The second half is like a lot of ministry/ faith books to come out in the last couple years... an over correction.

Mark gives us some great observations about the current (and past) youth cultures and how the church adjusted to meet the needs of that culture. His suggestion is that we are 100% missing this generation and then lays out a plan to correct that. I think his ideas are a bit drastic.

If you're in Youth Ministry, read it... with a grain of s
Walt Walkowski
I think this is a really good book. It helps us to think about youth ministry historically so that we can better see where it is headed. I agree with the author's assessments of what is happening in youth ministry, but am disappointed that he does not see the necessity of parents taking a larger, more intentional role in the spiritual formation and development of students.
Rachel Blom
Very challenging and inspiring book, a must read for anyone involved in youth ministry. Marko makes a statement about the need to move from old ways of doing youth ministry to a new one, dubbed 3.0. I don't agree with everything in his analysis nor his proposed solutions, but the book sure shaped my thinking.
Jason Retherford
Mark O. puts into words what so many of us are thinking: what we are doing isn't working, and something needs to change! While, Mark O. doesn't lay out a ground work for this radical shift in ministry praxis, he does help us see where we need to go. The journey will certainly be messy, but it is worth it!
John Semchenko
people are not looking for preaching and programs, but rather community and purpose. MArk O. makes the case for a communal, missional approach to youth ministry rahter than a connect the dot or 'round the bases model of ministry and dvelopment. communal ministry is...
small
slow
simple
fluid
present
Nancy Stahl
I found this a good read to challenge status quo thinking about our youth culture and how we should consider doing things differently.
Carol Wunderlich
Dangerous, Difficult, Daunting... anyone who has been in youth ministry for more than 5 years has to do a gut check after reading this one... i'll have to do a re-read just to begin comprhending the shift Marko is espousing.
Richard Barber
Great stuff but seemed like he has a bit too much of a newer is better mentality. Some stuff is like whoa watch that bath water, there's a baby in there.
Joel Daniel Harris
Aug 21, 2010 Joel Daniel Harris rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Joel Daniel by: Mark Oestreicher
Shelves: youth-min
Must read for youth pastors & those who want to understand where youth ministry has been, is now, and are dreaming about where it might go.
John Wiley
Insightful overview of a history of contemporary youth ministry. I definitely disagree on his 3.0 model though.
Daryl Watts
Some really nice thought, but no new ground really. Might be good for brand new youth ministry guys.
Rowan
Rowan is currently reading it
Dec 24, 2014
Heather Campbell
Heather Campbell marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Middle School Ministry: A Comprehensive Guide to Working with Early Adolescents A Parent's Guide to Understanding Social Media: Helping Your Teenager Navigate Life Online A Beautiful Mess: What's Right with Youth Ministry Understanding Your Young Teen: Practical Wisdom for Parents A Parent's Guide to Understanding Teenage Brains: Why They Act the Way They Do