Start by marking “Youth Ministry 3.0: A Manifesto of Where We've Been, Where We Are and Where We Need to Go” as Want to Read:

In Youth Ministry 3.0, you'll explore, along with Mark Oestreicher and the voices of other youth workers, why we need change in youth ministry. You'll get a quick history of youth ministry over the last 50 years. And you'll help dream about what changes need to take place in order to create the next phase of youth ministry-the future we need to create for effective ministr ...more
Published November 4th 2008 by Zondervan/Youth Specialties (first published October 28th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Youth Ministry 3.0, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Youth Ministry 3.0

Crystal
Sep 26, 2009 Crystal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
He argues that we need to cut all the fluff and programming and focus on two main things: 1)communion with one another and 2) service. Communion is a little bit different than community – but basically means small groups of people (notice I didn’t say small groups as in programmed small groups!) hanging out for meals, conversation, and just genuine presence with one another. And service is, well, serving others. Those most in need. Reaching out to those who make us most uncomfortable in order th ...more
Tim Beck
Apr 23, 2009 Tim Beck rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
An easy read and i would say a must read for anyone in partial or full time youth ministry. i say it's a must read simply because whether you will agree with everything Marko writes, it will cause you to take a step back and think about not only the state of Youth Ministry in general, but your youth ministry.

the first half of the book takes a deeper look at the evolution of youth ministry and the various stages it has gone through. Youth Ministry 2.0 (for much of the 80's, 90's and 00's) has by
Chris Mclain
I was a little disappointed. I expected this book to include more historical information about the phases of youth ministry in the US, and I hoped for some specific, concrete advice on how to reach students in the twenty-first century. Unfortunately I got a vague, emergent discussion of how small group ministry should be applied without any concrete definition. I got the impression that, once the author's suggestions are implemented, different subcultures in the youth group will be autonomous an ...more
Eric Dunn
Sep 13, 2011 Eric Dunn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Youth Ministry 3.0 is a very insightful book for anyone interested in what is going on with youth culture right now. It talks about three very distinct times in the "life" of youth ministry."Marko", as the author is called, talks about the different youth culture fixations, cultural influences, key themes, drivers, and theme verses for each of the 3 "versions" of youth ministry through the years.

Youth Ministry 1.0 is the original. Here is the breakdown for you:

Youth Culture Fixation: Identity
Cul
Susan Barnes
This is a very short book (126 pages) which gives a brief overview of youth ministry touching on what Mark Oestreicher believes have been the three major shifts in youth ministry over the last 50 years.

After his historical observations and research Mark Oestreicher comes to the conclusion that to reach the current generation of young people we need to focus on community and mission. As these are the two major things that today’s young people are seeking. They want deeper connections than social
Adam Walker Cleaveland
Just finished Marko's newest youth ministry book. I really enjoyed it - it challenges a lot of the preconceived notions about youth ministry today. Previously, one of my favorite books in youth ministry was Mark DeVries's "Sustainable Youth Ministry" - which I think still offers a lot. But...Marko's thoughts do offer a different perspective than Devries's.

For those who used to read Mike Yaconelli's stuff, you can see the influence of Yaconelli on Marko - and I think that's good. But Marko offers
David Benson
Jun 03, 2016 David Benson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a must read for everyone who is a youth pastor or youth worker. We need to understand the past, live in the present and let faith and love direct our future. Youth Ministry 3.0 is clearly Revolutionary!
Paul Kelly
While I think Marko has missed the point on some of what he says, I enjoyed the read. Marko is certainly right in this: we can't just keep doing what we have been doing and expect it to change the results we are getting. And I do think Marko's encouragement to pare back the never-ending activity and focus more on investing in kids is right on the money. Ultimately, we are not going to be successful if we can't help families to be places where faith is nurtured. I think this book is worth the rea ...more
Greg
Jan 20, 2009 Greg rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first half is VERY helpful and insightful.

The second half is like a lot of ministry/ faith books to come out in the last couple years... an over correction.

Mark gives us some great observations about the current (and past) youth cultures and how the church adjusted to meet the needs of that culture. His suggestion is that we are 100% missing this generation and then lays out a plan to correct that. I think his ideas are a bit drastic.

If you're in Youth Ministry, read it... with a grain of s
Walt Walkowski
Nov 04, 2013 Walt Walkowski rated it really liked it
I think this is a really good book. It helps us to think about youth ministry historically so that we can better see where it is headed. I agree with the author's assessments of what is happening in youth ministry, but am disappointed that he does not see the necessity of parents taking a larger, more intentional role in the spiritual formation and development of students.
Rachel Blom
Dec 06, 2012 Rachel Blom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: youth-ministry
Very challenging and inspiring book, a must read for anyone involved in youth ministry. Marko makes a statement about the need to move from old ways of doing youth ministry to a new one, dubbed 3.0. I don't agree with everything in his analysis nor his proposed solutions, but the book sure shaped my thinking.
Jason Retherford
Mark O. puts into words what so many of us are thinking: what we are doing isn't working, and something needs to change! While, Mark O. doesn't lay out a ground work for this radical shift in ministry praxis, he does help us see where we need to go. The journey will certainly be messy, but it is worth it!
John Semchenko
people are not looking for preaching and programs, but rather community and purpose. MArk O. makes the case for a communal, missional approach to youth ministry rahter than a connect the dot or 'round the bases model of ministry and dvelopment. communal ministry is...
small
slow
simple
fluid
present
Nancy Stahl
I found this a good read to challenge status quo thinking about our youth culture and how we should consider doing things differently.
Carol Wunderlich
Dangerous, Difficult, Daunting... anyone who has been in youth ministry for more than 5 years has to do a gut check after reading this one... i'll have to do a re-read just to begin comprhending the shift Marko is espousing.
Richard Barber
Feb 13, 2013 Richard Barber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great stuff but seemed like he has a bit too much of a newer is better mentality. Some stuff is like whoa watch that bath water, there's a baby in there.
Joel Daniel Harris
Aug 21, 2010 Joel Daniel Harris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Joel Daniel by: Mark Oestreicher
Shelves: youth-min
Must read for youth pastors & those who want to understand where youth ministry has been, is now, and are dreaming about where it might go.
John Wiley
Aug 16, 2013 John Wiley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Insightful overview of a history of contemporary youth ministry. I definitely disagree on his 3.0 model though.
Daryl Watts
Aug 10, 2011 Daryl Watts rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: student-ministry
Some really nice thought, but no new ground really. Might be good for brand new youth ministry guys.
Aaron Buer
not much is new here
Joshua Serrano
It was good...
Gilly
Gilly marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2016
Yeary Maple
Yeary Maple is currently reading it
Sep 04, 2016
Emmanuel Chikoya
Emmanuel Chikoya marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Robert Facoline
Robert Facoline marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Daniel R
Daniel R rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2016
Troy Maragos
Troy Maragos rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2016
Yustinus Ardianto
Yustinus Ardianto marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Lesli Van
Lesli Van rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Revisiting Relational Youth Ministry: From a Strategy of Influence to a Theology of Incarnation
  • Almost Christian: What the Faith of Our Teenagers Is Telling the American Church
  • Sustainable Youth Ministry: Why Most Youth Ministry Doesn't Last and What Your Church Can Do about It
  • Contemplative Youth Ministry: Practicing the Presence of Jesus
  • Soul Searching: The Religious and Spiritual Lives of American Teenagers
  • Stages of Faith: The Psychology of Human Development and the Quest for Meaning
  • Matthew (Brazos Theological Commentary on the Bible)
  • Postmodern Youth Ministry: Exploring Cultural Shift, Creating Holistic Connections, Cultivating Authentic Community
  • Generation to Generation: Family Process in Church and Synagogue
  • Sticky Faith: Everyday Ideas to Build Lasting Faith in Your Kids
  • Viral: How Social Networking Is Poised to Ignite Revival
  • Who's Afraid of Postmodernism?: Taking Derrida, Lyotard, and Foucault to Church (The Church and Postmodern Culture)
  • Economy of Desire
  • Colossians Remixed: Subverting the Empire
  • 20th-Century Theology: God and the World in a Transitional Age
  • Your First Two Years in Youth Ministry: A Personal and Practical Guide to Starting Right
  • The Twilight of the American Enlightenment: The 1950s and the Crisis of Liberal Belief
  • We Make the Road by Walking: A Year-Long Quest for Spiritual Formation, Reorientation, and Activation