To Ride the Gods' Own Stallion

To Ride the Gods' Own Stallion

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  19 ratings  ·  6 reviews

"Better that you'd never been born," his father had said.

Soulai is not brave like his sister. Nor is he a skilled craftsman like his father. And when Soulai accidentally burns down his family's home, his father gives up. He sells Soulai into slavery for five years to pay off the debt.

While working in the royal stables, Soulai meets a horse unlike any other-a stallion name

Published August 1st 2010 by Sourcebooks, Incorporated (first published January 2nd 2001)

Margo Berendsen
Really surprised this book is not more well read or even voted for any lists - I'm adding to a list for best horse books, and this is one of those rare horse books that I'm sure will appeal equally for boys as it would for girls. What boy can resist a lion hunt?

For older kids who love horses, this is a sure bet. The ancient Assyrian historical context is brilliant but not overwhelming. And the action is sizzling - the lion hunts!!!! Oh my gosh the lion hunts!!!! The boar hunt is pretty amazing,...more
Jenny
Soulai is sold into slavery by a father who doesn't value him. Torn from his family, Soulai struggles with his new life as the property of Prince Habasle, caring for his horses. Ti is a stallion marked by the gods for greatness, but Habasle's carelessness and Soulai's cowardice may rob him of his birthright. Soulai struggles with palace intrigue and his own heart as he tries to find his true place in life.
Kellyn
This unusual story is set in BC 640 in Nineveh. The main character, Soulai, a thirteen-year-old boy, is sold into slavery by his father. Soulai becomes a stable boy for the Crown Prince’s horses. One horse in the stable, Ti, is an unusually gifted stallion that the Prince nearly kills. Soulai protects Ti and ends up proving he is a courageous person.

Unusual setting and story.
Lori
So, another one my son read. He said that he really really loved this book, more than some of the other historical fiction novels he read. Now that might be because we briefly studied ancient Assyria and that is when this takes place. But still, I was amazed that he liked it so much. I think I'll have to read it some day.
Kendra
Didn't care for this one quite as much as her first book, but it was a good storyline about friendship.
Sandra Pfeifer
Sandra Pfeifer marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Mightyguy
Mightyguy marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
William F Sullivan
William F Sullivan marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2013
Anajoy-rusticgirl
Anajoy-rusticgirl marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2013
Darcy N.
Darcy N. marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2013
Brooklyn Moore
Brooklyn Moore marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2013
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2013
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2013
Shae/Shelver
Shae/Shelver marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2013
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2013
Susan
Susan added it
Jul 09, 2013
Shazza Maddog
Shazza Maddog marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2013
Shawna
Shawna added it
Apr 30, 2013
Kitty
Kitty is currently reading it
Apr 10, 2013
Jasmine
Jasmine marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2013
Jewls
Jewls marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2013
Firehorse I Rode a Horse of Milk White Jade Black Storm Comin' Raven Speak Tracks