Start by marking “Luke's Story: The Jesus Chronicles” as Want to Read:
Luke's Story: The Jesus Chronicles

Luke's Story: The Jesus Chronicles (The Jesus Chronicles #3)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  423 ratings  ·  54 reviews
Millions of readers made the Left Behind series bestsellers. Now the third in the authors' bestselling Jesus Chronicles is available in trade paperback.
This biblically inspired novel, third in the bestselling Jesus Chronicles, tells the story of Luke-the Gospel writer whose belief was built on the power of faith alone. Luke, who hadn't met Jesus, is skeptical of His mira...more
Published February 19th 2009 by Berkley (first published February 17th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Luke's Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Luke's Story

Beth
Written by a pastor, Tim LaHaye and Jerry B. Jenkins, chair of the Moody Bible Institute, these two authors have collaborated on many religious books. This one is 3rd in the Jesus Chronicles. The beginning third of the book was fun to read though not well written. Probably it was conjectured, but the story of Luke (Bible New Testament Luke and Acts) growing up as a slave who was favored by his rich master and therefore taught to read and tutored was a good read. The book remains interesting as i...more
Jodi
This was a book that I had seen several times at the library and finally decided to pick up. I waited awhile to actually read it. I worried that it would be really boring. I did have some trouble reading the book, due to the fact it felt like I was reading history books in school. I did learn a great deal about Paul (Saul) and Luke. I had no idea that the bible could be written to read like a book. I always had trouble figuring out who all the people were and got disctracted by the names of peop...more
David
I had never read anything by Luke's authors before, though I realise that they've had a prior run of success in some circles. To some degree, I didn't know what to think of this book. At times, it seemed anachronistic. For example, for some reason, I don't have a problem with residents of first century Antioch speaking English in an English-language novel, but find it grating to hear them say "OK". I'm also not sure that, for example, the ancient view of history or universities matches our moder...more
Bret Walker
Here's what makes this story so fascinating. Luke's Story tells us the background and life of the gospel writer that his gospel doesn't tell us, even delving into the relationship with the twice-mentioned "Theophilus." It's a lot of conjecture and assumption. It even talks about the early education and training of the Pharisee Saul and his conversion.

The thing is, at the end of the story of Luke's life, his conversion, and his research into the life of Jesus Christ (whom he heard about in passi...more
Michelle
Mar 09, 2009 Michelle rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
This was an awesome book for those who believe in the Gospel and desire a deeper understanding of the Bible. I learned a great deal about Luke that I had never learned before.
Luke was a slave to Theophilous, that his master paid for him to go to university for medical and history studies. Luke had great compassion for people that were hurt or ill even before he completed his studies, that was his driving force. That Luke went to university and met Saul there, they became friends for awhile until...more
pianogal
So while this one wasn't a great book, I thought it was fine. The problem comes b/c a few years ago, I read "Dear and Glorious Physician" by Taylor Caldwell, also discussing Luke, and it was so much better. After Caldwell's version, this one kind of felt like the Cliff Notes version for kids. Good, but VERY basic.

It also kind of bothered me that they modernized it too much - I mean, thanks for not writing everything in Greek, but the other measurements of time and distance could have been more...more
Josiah
Good concept but poorly written! The authors drop large portions of Scripture into the narrative without merging the storylines or melding the register and tone. And chapter upon chapter is spent developing how characters think and feel, only to have a "dilemma" resolved in half a page in an unbelievable way for those characters. A third problem is that the authors have written this book as a thinly veiled evangelistic tract for modern, American, churched readers - so the mode of speaking, vocab...more
Chy
This was a book where I started really liking it, because it focused on making Luke a real person. That got pushed away in increments as the story lined up more with Biblical history, and went to trying to catalog Jesus's life from afar---as well as Paul's journeys.

The more the focus wasn't Luke, the less interesting the story became, for me. But then, I'm a kind of strange reader to be reading this. Probably. That's one of the reasons I wanted to read it, though.

And I'm finding myself glad that...more
Dempse Kb
Yup it's time for my Evangelical literature! So what better than to get an easy reading about the guy who wrote the book of Luke in the bible. Don't think I'm crazy... I also read Ann Rice's two books about Jesus before she lost her faith again! I guess she won't be writing book three. Pity, I find her books descriptive and full of color. These guys are easy reading meant to be accessible for everyone, and they do the job very well. Maybe a bit TOO simplistic at times. I knew their plot on the f...more
Judy Benvin
When I picked up this book I had hoped for something of a similar caliber to the "Left Behind" series. No such luck. It took me a looong time to finish this book - mainly because every time I tried to get involved in it, I fell asleep. Very boring. Whatever the authors were paid - it was too much. Seems as if all they did were to copy scripture and attempt to create a story around it. As a biblical student, I was very disappointed in the story structure. I hope Jerry Jenkins goes back to writing...more
Jeanine
I've enjoyed the 3rd book in The Jesus Chronicles series. Luke was a Gentile who told his story through many interviews and recording first hand experiences from those who knew& walked with Jesus Christ. He wanted to tell His story from the aspect of His humanity and chronologically. The genealogy is Mary's in Luke, and in Matthew it is Joseph's, the guardian of Jesus from birth. I thoroughly enjoyed Luke's story and to also realize that he wrote The Acts of the Apostles. Looking forward to...more
Karen
I think this book taught me more about the apostle Paul than about Luke. Fictionalized accounts of the lives of historical figures always seem to help bring what one has learned into perspective. I do have a much greater appreciation for the gospel of Luke and an understanding of why and how it differs from the other canonical gospels. It was also helpful to know about the role he played in writing the Acts of the Apostles and about his purported relationships with the early church leadership.
Harold
This series is great. Luke's Story was good, the only thing is that I question some of the historical pieces in this. They did use a lot of moder language and I don't know if this is trying to get the reader to relate. I love that they put the actual books from the New Testiament that have been given credit to the person they are doing the story on. I cannot wait to start Mark's Story.
Melody
Very creative and imaginative telling... Who's to say that Our Lord didn't work these things together just so... One day we will understand as we have been perfectly understood...
It was especially emotional at the telling of Luke's interview of Mary. I want to be a vessel, an instrument, of His. Beautiful rendition...couldn't put it down. Loved it...Highly recommend it.
Brian K.
A splendid tale of the writing of Luke's Gospel. This was the best of the "Chronicles" series so far. Made my eyes water at times and my heart race at others. The beautiful weaving together of the Biblical accounts as told by a Physician and Historian, trained in the art of telling the facts while leaning towards a greater understanding of what is being relayed.
Yvonne
Breezed through Matthew, and Mark fairly quickly, but Luke I seem to be struggling through. I don't know if life is just getting in the way, if the excitement of the Jesus Cronicles is dying down or what. It may be because Luke never met Jesus, but it is taking longer to get through Luke than it did to read Matthew and Mark combined. Still a well thought out story.
Lori
Not as engaging as the Left Behind series, but full of details and references. I don't know how much research went into the facts behind this version of Luke's story, but it certainly makes sense given the type of detail included in Luke's Gospel. I look forward to reading the other books in the series.
Ashley
Boring. The author was too afraid to step out on a limb to tell an interesting story. It was predictable, dull, and Luke seemed sort of like a wormy, whiny guy at times without true conflict in his life. If you're going to tell a story, make it a story worth telling.
Amber Skantz
I like Luke's Story the best in this series so far. His hunger for knowledge is evident, and it really made for a good read. I felt that I could identify with him, as a person who loves history and makes an effort to make sure all the facts are correct.
Cat
Well, they called it fiction - but I thought it would have at least some basis in scripture - nope it was pure conjecture.

I couldn't even get all the way through it, the writting was at such a low level, it read like a romance novel.
Shaun
I was grossly disappointed with the book. The characters were flat, and the dialogue was forced or worse. Being a fan of the Left Behind series I was looking forward to this collection. Sadly now this will be the first and last.
Elizabeth
I had no idea how fascinating Luke's life really was!! He was not the man I thought he was and I loved reading about it from a first person perspective. Just like it's companion books in this series, this is a wonderful read!
Tobi
I am not a religious person but I have been reading this series: The Jesus Chronicles simply because they are great stories. This one was the most interesting yet. Very good , easy, quick reading even if you aren't religious.
Rod
A well-done fictional account of Luke's life. I hope God is blessing this...I'd hate to think that the authors are way off about the truth. It sounds like they put the pieces together really well.
Stephanie
Too much of this novel quotes almost verbatim from Scripture. I highly doubt Paul went around speaking like his letters read. An interesting idea, could have been better written.
Nico Smith
Jennifer Gilbert-Georgia

I do understand that some of the story is fictionalized, filling in the unknowns. In the end I felt I knew the author (luke) and Christ on a deeper more personal level.
Katrina
A good listen-read and an interesting take on the person Luke was, but not particularly well written (so I'm glad I'm listening to it instead of reading it).
Beverly
I loved this book. Luke was a slave, then a university physician then a author of the greatest book ever written. All in one lifetime. It's an inspiration.
Michelle Slomp
I really enjoyed this book. It was a great look at different philosophies being taught at that time and how the true story of grace overcame them.
  • Silenced: The Wrath of God Descends (Underground Zealot, #2)
  • The Action Bible: God's Redemptive Story
  • Bathsheba (The Wives of King David #3)
  • Higher Hope (Tides of Truth, #2)
  • The Book of Hours
  • The Last Disciple
  • Dreamers (Legacies of the Ancient River No. 1) (Book 1)
  • End of State (Left Behind Political #1)
  • Glimpses of Heaven: True Stories of Hope and Peace at the End of Life's Journey
  • The Body
  • The Diaries Of Pontius Pilate (Fellowship of the Essentials, #1)
  • Apocalypse Dawn: The Earth's Last Days: The Battle Begins (Left Behind Apocalypse, #1)
  • One Thing You Can't Do in Heaven
  • Eli
  • If I Gained the World (Second Chances Collection, #4)
Jerry Bruce Jenkins is an American novelist and biographer. He is best known as co-author of the Left Behind series of books with Tim LaHaye. Jenkins has written over 180 books, including mysteries, historical fiction, biblical fiction, cop thrillers, international spy thrillers, and children's adventures, as well as non-fiction. His works usually feature Christians as protagonists. In 2005, Jenki...more
More about Jerry B. Jenkins...
Soon: The Beginning of the End (Underground Zealot, #1) Left Behind Series Hardcover Gift Set (Left Behind, #1-6) Riven The Vanishings: Four Kids Face Earth's Last Days Together  (Left Behind: The Kids, #1) Shadowed: The Final Judgment (Underground Zealot, #3)