Start by marking “El camino del patriarca (Reinos Olvidados: Los Mercenarios, #3)” as Want to Read:
El camino del patriarca  (Reinos Olvidados: Los Mercenarios, #3)

El camino del patriarca (The Sellswords #3)

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,437 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews
Ilnezhara y Tazmikelia son antiguos dragonas de gran poder, acostumbradas a manipular a los humanos que tiene a su alrededor. Pero cuando empujan a Entreri y a Jarlaxle al corazón de las Tierras de la Piedra de Sangre, ni siquiera ellas son capaces de imaginar la tenacidad del asesino humano ni la gigantesca ambición del mercenario drow.
Published by Timun Mas (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about El camino del patriarca, please sign up.

Junkle In this series Drizzti Do'Urden (and some facts relatiive to him) just mentioned by Artemis Entreri and Jarlaxle. Also, each book has chapters and…moreIn this series Drizzti Do'Urden (and some facts relatiive to him) just mentioned by Artemis Entreri and Jarlaxle. Also, each book has chapters and parts. In the begging of each part there is a prologue by Drizzti Do'Urden (something like diary or letter, almost 7 pages). However, Artemis Entreri and Jarlaxle appear, also, in other books.(less)

Matt
Dec 24, 2010 Matt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well i've finally finished the Sellswords series (which have been sitting on my shelf for about 2 years) and i have to say i'm just a little bit disappointed. The first fantasy series i ever read was the Dark Elf trilogy and from what i remember, it was pretty much the coolest thing ever. I think i was a little unimpressed with this series in particular because when it comes down to it, Salvatore is just not as good as many other authors out there. I truly believe Salvatore can create characters ...more
Jay Glasgow
Sep 17, 2011 Jay Glasgow rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a wondrous conclusion to an amazing series! Jaraxle and Entreri are a true delight as ever. The writing style was of Salvatore's best, very witty in Jaraxle's plot, dialogue and philosophy, and as serious as ever with Entreri. The way Entreri's own quest for personal identity cam to a conclusion was really inspiring, the once evil and conflicted rival of Drizzt Do'Urden finding peace and becoming a fighter of the people, (and not enjoying it) was wonderful. His final fight for the memor ...more
Juan Bárcenas Cuellar
Linezhara y Tazmikella son antiguas dragones de gran poder, acostumbradas a manipular a los humanos que tienen a su alrededor. Pero cuando empujan a Entreri y a Jarlaxle al corazón de las Tierras de la Piedra de Sangre, ni siquiera ellas son capaces de imaginar la tenacidad del asesino humano ni la gigantesca ambición del mercenario drow.
Aventura que continúa con la saga de Los Mercenarios. En ella se explora más a fondo la relación entre los dos anti héroes favoritos de Bob Salvatore: Artemis E
Tony
Oct 20, 2015 Tony rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5 stars for the aftermath of Promise of the Witch King. Artemis the assassin and Jarlaxle the dark elf find themselves under the scrutiny of a team of 7 heroes called "The Spysong" regarding their questionable circumstances in the defeat of the dracolich.

The theme of this story for me is "Why?" Why Artemis are you continuing to follow Jarlaxle? Why Jarlaxle do you continue to torment Artemis? Why are you instigating a paladin king and his kingdom? The characters themselves even ask "Why?" and
Paul
Jul 31, 2009 Paul rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Ok, Bob! Way to nerf perhaps the coolest character you've ever created. The first half of the book was good. The second kinda ticked me off due to inconsistencies in the abilities and behavior of Artemis Entreri. I understand the effects of his internal strife but he nearly gets killed fighting common street thugs. What?!

On a positive note, Grandmaster Kane was really cool!
Kevin Xu
The only reason I gave this book three stars is because it was writing by R.A. Salvatore with two great matching characters.
Kati
Jarlaxle was as amazing as always; his deviousness knows no bounds - and yet he's very likable and you can't help but root for his plans to work out. But he can turn even a failure to his advantage, which is admirable. He and Athrogate can cause mischief like nobody else!

But Artemis Entreri... I used to really like his character, in a sort of bad-guy, "I can't help but love to hate you" way. But in this book? He behaved like an angry brat, destroying things just because he could and then being
Jeff
Jan 05, 2009 Jeff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: game-fiction, fantasy
Road of the Patriarch is the third novel of the Sellswords series by R.A. Salvatore. The hardcover edition was released in the US on October 24, 2006.

“To her, to her dying breath, you were the untouchable one, the one whose flesh her dagger could not penetrate.”

THE ASSASSIN

A cold and emotionless killer for whom every soul has a price, even his own, embarks on a path to find out just how high that price can be.

THE MERCENARY

A dark elf of limitless guile dares to challenge a king, and carve for him
Brenda
Mar 17, 2012 Brenda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An integral second part to "Promise of the Witch King", "Road.." concludes what Jarlaxle has begun with Entreri. We get to understand more of Jarlaxle's life in Menzoberranzan, though not much (do I perhaps see another series looming in the future much like our beloved Drizzt?), a bit of what makes Athrogate Athrogate, and Artemis gets to deal with the ghosts of his past.

I got to see a Paladin King struggle with evil, evil's intent, and evil's potential redemption. Witness the love of a son (or
Cari Mcconnell
Jul 15, 2012 Cari Mcconnell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have a few things to say now that you are reading the review of the last book. Consider this, Why exactly is Jarlaxl so intrigued by Artemis? I realize the obvious, but really Jarlaxl may seem lovable but he is a ruthless drow killer. It seems almost suspicious to have such a big heart. Also, I think that being able to see so much of Jarlaxl sort of shatters some sort of well-maintained illusion of complete control. I don't know, either the book was unable to have Jarlaxl live up to my lofty s ...more
Forgotten Realms Queen
After avoiding this series like the plague for so many years, I finally picked it up a few months ago to start reading and have recently finished it in its entirety.

I admit it was better than I expected. I had avoided it for so long because I had no interest in Artemis Entreri, although I did have a fondess for Jarlaxle. I only picked it up because I needed the background info to read Ghost King.

I loved the interaction between the characters throughout the series. We learn more of the backstory
James Gund
Nov 20, 2013 James Gund rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
R. A. Salvatore could have stopped writing this series here and it would have been a most satisfying ending. The heart and soul of cold-blooded killer Artemis Entreri are laid bare, the abuse both physical and spiritual that the young Artemis experiences fully explored. I don't that there has been a book that I have enjoyed more fully and been more immersed in than "Road of the Patriarch".

Entreri is not redeemed per se at the end of this story, there is no redemption for him. There can be no re
Joel Flank
Road of the Patriarch by R.A. Salvatore is the final book in the Sellswords Trilogy. It continues where Promise of the Witch King ended, detailing the further adventures of the assassin Artemis Entreri and the drow Jarlaxle. Many of the characters who survived the last book also make appearances, as well as the movers and shakers of the country of Damara in the Forgotten Realms. The later group was the most fun to read about for me, since they are the pre-generated characters from the Bloodstone ...more
Lauren
Road of the Patriarch by R.A. Salvatore is the third, and final, book of the Sellswords trilogy. The first being Servant of the Shard and the second being Promise of the Witch King and continues the tale of Jarlaxle and Artemis and their journey together as Artemis seeks to come to grips with his past.

As with most Salvatore books this one has a decent mix of characters, however, no matter how well constructed the plot is- this book is largely about character development. Fans of Salvatore have w
Blair
Jan 26, 2016 Blair rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jarlaxle, not satisfied with his triumph over a dracolich, now seeks to lay claim to a large portion of the disputed Bloodstone lands - to the dismay of both the locals and the regional government. At the same time, he's using a magical flute to manipulate Artemis Entreri into dealing with his past life and - for the first time in that life - contemplate real love.

The concluding novel in the Sellswords, it really didn't leave me satisfied.
David
Really wanted to like this book, but it just didn't click for me. I liked the idea of Entreri doing something soul-searching but the lead-up to the end and the epilogue itself were pretty weak; it's like: Entreri, why didn't you do it sooner? Oh, right, you somehow just knew that you're going to need them just for a little while longer so you finish off whatever plot line and story wrap-up that you need to do. Just weak.

And speaking of weak, the plot line is pretty weak too. It's slow and meande
Allie
Mar 17, 2015 Allie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this to be the slowest-moving of the three books, but still found I enjoyed it. I've grown extremely fond of the Artemis-Jarlaxle duo, and found their ventures and hardships through this story satisfactory. I adore Jarlaxle's quirks and humour and how he so compliments the broody Artemis Entreri.

There were a lot of turns I didn't anticipate, and it kept me interested to see how the game played out. I was, honestly, disappointed in the finality of the ending..but with Jarlaxle, perhaps th
Savedbygrace
The story picks up from where the second book stopped. Since most of the characters have already been established, the writing pulls you in promptly. Some of the character traits are just so God like that it left me curling my lip and shaking my head at the ridiculousness of it all. One hero monk in particular is just so over the top that, I could in no way connect with him and I never enjoyed reading the sections that followed his story. That said, Salvatore did a better job of portraying the b ...more
Mark Soone
As astounding as it is to me, I am debating between 2 and 2.5 stars. Salvatore has long been my favorite author of fantasy along with Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman, and through his many books/series I have fallen in love with the Forgotten Realms and it's many inhabitants. I even found myself with a great appreciation for the villains Entrerri and perhaps jaraxle.....

I had a hard time getting into this? perhaps because it had been such a long time since I have read the previous books? Either
Andrew Ball
Sep 20, 2014 Andrew Ball rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely one of Salvatore's best books in a long line of great sword-and-sorcery pieces. The character development in the Sellswords Series often outshines that of his main saga; after reading these three novels, I can say that my favorite character of the entire Drizzt legend is without question one Artemis Entreri.
Hege
May 28, 2011 Hege rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: r-a-salvatore
Vincent Patella
Dec 18, 2015 Vincent Patella rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book way too fucking long ago to do a legitimate review, but I will say that its philosophical and political metaphors made a pretty big impact on me. Throughout my reading I fought the urge to underline specific passages because I didn't wanted to ruin a book that was otherwise pure of outside ink marks, or a book that was simply meant to be an entertaining story rather than a textbook. It's a great fantasy novel, and although I regret taking around 8 years to actually read it, I'm ...more
Cem Binboğa
Sep 17, 2015 Cem Binboğa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ra-salvatore
Phillip
Mar 07, 2014 Phillip rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entreri's life is tragic. His relationships with women are tragic. But a good story nonetheless. I just wish his relationship with a woman did not turn out the way it did.
M.A. Ray
Dec 30, 2013 M.A. Ray rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
The characterization is so much better in this book that I was all ready to give it four stars. Much tighter on Entreri in particular, which is appropriate, since it is his story. However, the structure is extremely wonky. I would have liked another book instead of the third part tacked on. It was long enough to give good story, but not long enough to characterize the villains beyond a shallow caricature. Three stars for Salvatore goodness -- would have been four but for what I can only assume i ...more
Steve
Mar 06, 2014 Steve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent, a coming of age for this series with some heavy-hitting, real life issues to contend with.
Ru Viljoen
Nov 30, 2011 Ru Viljoen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
RotP was a perfect conclusion to a very entertaining fantasy trilogy. Jarlaxle and entreri are two intriguing and enigmatic anti-heroes.

Find it hard to believe the philosophic reflections sporadically found throughout the forgotten realms books of RAS get so much flack. It may stain my credibility but those reflections make me identify with the characters and love these books so much.

RotP has a clever multi-layered plot and often witty paragraphs of bantering dialogue between characters that co
Allen Garvin
Feb 19, 2008 Allen Garvin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: high-fantasy
A guilty pleasure of mine for years: Drizzt the dark elf novel. Except he's not in this, except for musings at the start of chapters. A confused novel, with way too many characters that I have completely forgotten since the last book, a meandering plot, unsatisfying ending. One of the poorest in the series. Oh, and an annoying dwarf. One quote about him should suffice:

And to pass the time, between bites and gulps and burps and farts, he sang his favorite dwarven ditties, like "Skipping Threesie
Christine
Jun 26, 2015 Christine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! This one had me dreaming of the scenes I was reading before bed. I'm sad to see the trilogy end though. I really enjoyed getting to know Artemis Entreri and learning about what made him the feared assassin.
Greg Strandberg
Dec 28, 2013 Greg Strandberg rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I'll give this volume a little higher review than I gave the last one. I'm doing this because it means this boring series is coming to an end and Salvatore can get back to some good stuff that he cares more about.

See, I just got the sense he didn't care that much about these last two books, and didn't even want to write them. It could have been a great story but I felt it wasn't.

Still, I did finish the whole series. There's nothing wrong with the writing or characters. It's hard to put my thumb
  • Final Gate (Forgotten Realms: The Last Mythal, #3)
  • Ascendancy of the Last (Lady Penitent #3)
  • Shadowstorm (Forgotten Realms: The Twilight War, #2)
  • The Sorcerer (Forgotten Realms: Return of the Archwizards, #3)
  • Unclean (Forgotten Realms: The Haunted Lands, #1)
  • Windwalker (Starlight & Shadows #3)
  • Swords of Dragonfire (Forgotten Realms: Knights of Myth Drannor, #2)
  • Insurrection (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #2)
  • Annihilation (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #5)
As one of the fantasy genre’s most successful authors, R.A. Salvatore enjoys an ever-expanding and tremendously loyal following. His books regularly appear on The New York Times best-seller lists and have sold more than 10,000,000 copies. Salvatore’s original hardcover, The Two Swords, Book III of The Hunter’s Blade Trilogy (October 2004) debuted at # 1 on The Wall Street Journal best-seller list ...more
More about R.A. Salvatore...

The Sellswords (3 books)
  • Servant of the Shard (Forgotten Realms: Paths of Darkness, #3; The Sellswords, #1)
  • Promise of the Witch King (Forgotten Realms: The Sellswords, #2)

“• Reality is a curious thing. Truth is not as solid and universal as any of us would like it to be; selfishness guides perception, and perception invites justification. The physical image in the mirror, if not pleasing, can be altered by the mere brush of fingers through hair.

And so it is true that we can manipulate our own reality. We can persuade, even deceive. We can make others view us in dishonest ways. We can hide selfishness with charity, make a craving for acceptance into magnanimity, and amplify our smile to coerce a hesitant lover. The world is illusion, and often delusion, as victors write the histories and the children who die quietly under the stamp of a triumphant army never really existed. The robber baron becomes philanthropist in the final analysis, by bequeathing only that for which he had no more use. The king who sends young men and women to die becomes beneficent with the kiss of a baby. Every problem becomes a problem of perception to those who understand that reality, in reality, is what you make reality to be.

This is the way of the world, but it is not the only way.”
3 likes