Start by marking “50 Dangerous Things (You Should Let Your Children Do)” as Want to Read:
50 Dangerous Things (You Should Let Your Children Do)

50 Dangerous Things (You Should Let Your Children Do)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  194 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Reclaiming Your Childhood for You and Your Children

What's growing up without a little danger? In today's world, where children are (), strapped in, and kept away from any possible threat, Gever Tulley offers a radical concept for parents:

Teach your children about safety by helping them learn to navigate risk.

In 50 Dangerous Things, you will find plenty of exciting ways fo

Published April 20th 2011 by NAL Trade (first published December 11th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about 50 Dangerous Things, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 50 Dangerous Things

Tanya Hart
Sep 18, 2011 Tanya Hart marked it as to-read
I think this is a great book because although I haven't read it, may even never read it, it has opened up a whole world of fun in the types of activities I try out with my 4-nearly-5 year old son.

- I've watched the TED talk and read the website and several reviews.

My focus has changed from keeping him safe to teaching him how to be safe/ finding ways to be safe while doing dangerous things.

I'm very industrious about reading books on babies and childhood development, but I hadn't realised how...more
Heather
Of course everyone wants to protect children from harm and make their world as safe as possible, but there are no absolutes or guarantees in life and overprotected children lack the competence necessary in assessing and handling risk to explore safely and make good choices on their own. This book is a workbook for measured, supervised risk exposure. It guides you in teaching children to explore safely and sets them on the path to exploring safely on their own. In doing so, it helps to create com...more
Mindy
I got this book from our Bookmobile. It is full of "dangerous" things that every kid should experience. I really enjoyed reading it. Lots of the things I have done(put my arm outside a moving car, burn things with a magnifying glass, lick a 9-volt battery) I find myself telling my own kids not to do. It was a good reminder to let kids experience life. This book also does a good job of talking the read through being safe while being a little crazy. I think I will buy this book for our kids for Ch...more
Reid
This book addresses the double-whammy of inadequate public education and the Free Range Kids movement, so it's right up my alley. While a lot of the 'dangerous' things seemed like filler (really, sticking your hand out the window of the car?), the book redeems itself with its encouragements to get kids whittling, breaking glass, disassembling appliances, navigating public transportation, and even driving! This will certainly be a gift for my friends with kids, once they're old enough to play wit...more
Gord
I can't recommend this highly enough. We're bringing up a generation of kids that have been protected from every possible danger, no matter how remote. Kids need to be allowed to try and fail; fall down and get hurt; climb trees; everything that we did as kids. We turned out just fine, so what are we doing keeping them wrapped up in bubble wrap, afraid to go to the park.

Gever lays out a very simple list of things that we should do with our kids. None of it's really dangerous and it's all a lot o...more
Amanda
Highly recommend for anyone with children around Caleb's age or older! Love it!
Kellie
Lots of great ideas and only one rule, "Don't hurt yourself or anyone else." Some are simple (lick a battery), some you may have done in science class (make a bomb in a bag), some take a different kind of courage (perform on the street), and some are definitely dangerous (play with fire), but a little controlled risk helps kids develop their own judgment. It certainly isn't appropriate for every age or every child, but I there are a number of activities I have enjoyed with my seven-year-old (mak...more
Caro
This was pretty interesting. Most of these things I've never done and some I didn't do (like driving) until I was old enough etc. I would definitely like to try all of these and introduce them to my kids. Some will have to wait for the younger one but this will be like an adventure into childhood for all of us. This was written well and I understood everything. Some of the things I wasn't clear about were explained further in the book. Did I say I wanted to try this stuff yet. I liked the explan...more
Takashi Kumagai
I'm still so far away from having kids, but it was a fun reading this book. Makes a lot of sense. I'm an adult now, but I'd probably enjoy trying some of the these 'dangerous' things myself.
Erica
I bought this book too late for my own kids (now 15 & 18). As a neurotic, cautious person parenting children with a risk-taking, anti-establishment type, it would have helped me enormously reduce conflict with my partner if I had had this book. It's great for setting boundaries based on reason & probability rather than fear & doubt. I recommend it to parents of 3- to 5-year-olds -- to keep at home for ideas of things to do with kids. Many of them are science-based. The adventurousnes...more
Kristi
This is a fun book of activities for parents and children to tackle together. It teaches that the best way to keep children safe is to do "dangerous" activities together and teach child both skills and the sense of what they can handle on their own or what they should seek help for. I'd like to pick it up again when Davey and Gordon are old enough to do more of the activities. It might make a great summer to do list!

"If you never let them climb a tree, they will eventually do it anyway, possibly...more
Dan Smith
Wonderfully self-explanatory book, and a reminder that we live in such an amazingly safe environment which carries its own subtle dangers of insulation from risk. Some tasks don't seem all that interesting, such as baking something with unusual ingredients, but that can't detract front he generally fascinating nature of the good ones - climb on to a roof, drive a car, throw a spear, spend an hour blindfold, superglue fingers to thumbs, boil a paper cup on a hob.

I look forward to doing this stuff...more
Kate
This is a fun book. It is interesting to see what the author considers dangerous and why, and many of the experiments are educational or at least enlightening.

I'm not going to have my kids try all of them, but I'm happy to say they've done more than half, and will try more. They're kids and get to be kids -- they climb trees, lick batteries, explore caves and play with fire (while supervised). Someday soon I may encourage them to superglue their fingers together, climb on the roof, or put an eg...more
Corinne
Most activities were not nearly as interesting and controversial as I thought. Safety is stressed in every step of every activity. I thought it odd that a section detailing why each activity was considered dangerous was in the back, rather than the one sentence for each activity just being included with the activity. All in all, good ideas to teach your kid to be competent and responsible, but I would probably have opted for the Dangerous Book For Boys or another more fun version of the same con...more
Missmath144
Jul 05, 2012 Missmath144 rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all parents
Great ideas about activities that will help children understand the physical world around them. The book gives instructions on how to do everything as safely as possible, and warns you of potential dangers.The one that I never would have thought of was boiling water in a paper cup. Since water boils at a lower temperature than paper burns, the cup will stay intact up to where the water ends. The top of the cup might burn off as the water evaporates, until there is nothing left.
Lance Cromwell
Loooove this book! What a gift! A great reminder to me to let my children grow up as self-sufficient, capable, creative adults... Not that I wasn't hoping that would be their mode, and indeed, aiming to help foster that, but this is a very clear set of suggestions to help make manifest those very qualities. It made me realize that I have gotten swept up in the Age of Overprotection, or Over-direction, to a certain degree.

Three cheers for Gever Tully!
Natalie
Technically, I didn't read this book from cover-to-cover. I think these are good ideas and I would have enjoyed a book like this as a kid. I don't have any desire to do these things now, but I think they'd probably good for my kids as they got older...especially my oldest who seems unnecessarily afraid of a lot of things. So, not very applicable to my current situation, but potentially in the future.
Eric
Super quick read and if you really like it and want to use it, you need to own it. Half of the book is empty pages for notes and observations but I mainly picked it up because I love the concept behind it. As for the dangerous things, my kids have done many of them but it did give me reason to find a 9 volt battery for us to play with.
Ann
My read of this book consisted of "did I do that as a kid? Yes, and much more!" My kids have done most of the dangerous things already, but there are a few that can fill the summer days...

It has some interesting background on the dangerous things - trivia, that make them a little more fun. :-) I like the hazard labels, too.
Holly Rayl
Fabulous guide to teaching children to explore the world around them safely. Children will do most of these things on their own, anyway, so shouldn't we, as parents, teach them how to do dangerous things safely? Open the door to effective communication and dialogue, and do dangerous things with your children.
Annette
Some of the "dangerous" things weren't at all. Some were only mildly uncomfortable and some we didn't do for one reason or another. But in all it was good ideas for rainy days and not-so rainy days. Now if we could get our son to stop asking, "Can I get on the roof?" every time he is outside.
Gwen
This is going to be an ongoing reference book I think, and because of the "field notes" I wish I'd bought a hard copy instead of Kindle version. There's some stuff in here that I want to try, nevermind my kids. And some things that I have fond memories of doing as a kid, too!
Alexandra Chauran
I love this book. There were some workbook features, so it is not a super library or Kindle book. I'd like to go ahead and get this book in paperback form when my children are older. I like how it teaches kids to think critically about risk.
Andrea
Dec 17, 2010 Andrea marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
TED has a video clip of Gever Tulley presenting a talk based on this book about 5 dangerous things every child should do. Watched the clip in my psychology class, and it made me want to read the book. He runs The Tinkering School (check it out).
Chris
A good collection of activities to do with the kids. Not the best writing, and I'm pretty sure some of the facts presented are incorrect. Get out there though and help yourself, and your kids, get a better understanding of risk.
Jane
my book club (all moms) had a great discussion of this book. I've not yet read the whole thing, but it's an interesting topic that sparks good conversation and makes you think about how you parent/protect your kids.
Sue
This title caught my eye in the library so I took a copy home with me. It's easy for me to say, since I don't have kids, but I think every household should have a copy of this book. We all need to loosen up a bit.
Emily
Fun to think about what I have done in this book and what I'm not sure I would let my kids do (I do have little ones). Will be taking it with is this summer and trying some things out.
rob
This was a good reminder of things I did regularly as a kid that I need to let my kids do. Since they're still pretty small, we're going to start with #1: Lick a 9-Volt Batery.
Eric
Apr 01, 2010 Eric marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition

Above link is what caught my attention.
  • Geek Dad: Awesomely Geeky Projects and Activities for Dads and Kids to Share
  • I Love Dirt!: 52 Activities to Help You and Your Kids Discover the Wonders of Nature
  • Under Pressure: Rescuing Childhood from the Culture of Hyper-Parenting
  • The Rhythm of Family: Discovering a Sense of Wonder through the Seasons
  • Playful Learning: Develop Your Child's Sense of Joy and Wonder
  • Ecological Literacy: Educating Our Children for a Sustainable World
  • A Family of Readers: The Book Lover's Guide to Children's and Young Adult Literature
  • Sharing Nature with Children: The Classic Parents' & Teachers' Nature Awareness Guidebook
  • Made by Hand: Searching for Meaning in a Throwaway World
  • Feel-Bad Education: And Other Contrarian Essays on Children and Schooling
  • Guerrilla Learning: How to Give Your Kids a Real Education With or Without School
  • Living Simply with Children: A Voluntary Simplicity Guide for Moms, Dads, and Kids Who Want to Reclaim the Bliss of Childhood and the Joy of Parenting
  • The Unschooling Unmanual
  • The New Global Student: Skip the SAT, Save Thousands on Tuition, and Get a Truly International Education
  • Heaven on Earth: A Handbook for Parents of Young Children
  • Free to Learn: Why Unleashing the Instinct to Play Will Make Our Children Happier, More Self-Reliant, and Better Students for Life
  • MAKE: Electronics: Learning Through Discovery
  • Free-Range Kids: Giving Our Children the Freedom We Had Without Going Nuts with Worry
Beware Dangerism!