Start by marking “The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook: From Cauldron Cakes to Knickerbocker Glory--More Than 150 Magical Recipes for Wizards and Non-Wizards Alike” as Want to Read:

4.1  ·  Rating Details ·  11,055 Ratings  ·  266 Reviews
Bangers and mash with Harry, Ron, and Hermione in the Hogwarts dining hall.

A proper cuppa tea and rock cakes in Hagrid's hut.

Cauldron cakes and pumpkin juice on the Hogwarts Express.

With this cookbook, dining a la Hogwarts is as easy as Banoffi Pie! With more than 150 easy-to-make recipes, tips, and techniques, you can indulge in spellbindingly delicious meals drawn straig
Published August 18th 2010 by Adams Media (first published January 1st 2010)

Darth J
Apr 01, 2013 Darth J rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

So I saw this cauldron soup mug and it reminded me that I read this book and never added a review.

There really doesn't seem like anything too fancy here, so people with a Sim cooking skill of 3 bars or less shouldn't feel out of place picking this up.

Happy eating :-)
G.D. Vidrine
Okay, so being one of the few people who actually has cooked out of this recipe book, I wanted to say a few things about it.

Real cooking takes some effort, people. Real cooking isn't about throwing three ingredients into the microwave and hoping it doesn't taste like rubber when it comes out. These recipes are the REAL DEAL. Real cooking, real home cooking. So it will take some effort.

Some of the recipes are great. I totally enjoyed the Yorkshire pudding with our roast (we did pork since I don't
Jess ❈Harbinger of Blood-Soaked Rainbows❈
A belated birthday gift from my beautiful friend Carrie!

The perfect gift for a chronic bookaholic and foodie. Can't wait to try some of these recipes!

UPDATE 2/8/15

I made my first official Harry Potter recipe this morning. Here is my giant stack of cauldron cakes. Light, fluffy, crepe-like pancakes with a hint of lemon zest. I ate them with lemon curd and aussie-style yogurt. Delish!
Aoife
OK, so I haven't yet tried out any of the recipes, so I won't rate it yet, but just from reading it there are some things I noticed:

A recipe for Bacon and Eggs? Really? Actually it's two recepies for Bacon and Eggs and then another for bacon. Has anybody ever needed instructions on how to make bacon?
The way the recepies are sorted is less-than-ideal. There's a chapter for the food Harry had with the Dursley's, another for the Weasley's, the Hogwarts. So for every chapter you get proper dinner,
Kristin ❋extols death with luminescent brilliance❋
Such a fun book! I always forget I have this and haven't used it nearly enough! Must remedy that soon. We've only tried one recipe out of it (made it twice) and it was really good!

MOLLY’S MEATBALLS WITH ONION SAUCE
Νατάσσα
Πέτυχα το βιβλίο ψάχνοντας συνταγές με κίτρινη κολοκύθα, σαν αυτές που σερβίρουν στο Χόγκουαρτς τη μέρα του Χάλοουιν. Ενδιαφέρον είναι, συνδέει κάθε συνταγή με αναφορές από τα βιβλία. Οι περισσότερες συνταγές είναι "κλασσική αγγλική κουζίνα", ίσως λίγο πειραγμένες. Μου άρεσε και σαν ανάγνωσμα, πέρα από το χρηστικό του πράγματος. Θα μείνει σίγουρα στο τάμπλετ μου για κάθε χρήση :-)
Nichelle
Dec 11, 2012 Nichelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 13-15
The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook is a collection of recipes for foods found in the Harry Potter books by J.K. Rowling. But the cookbook isn’t just a collection of recipes, it also provides the story and history behind each dish. The book pulls different kinds of food from all over every book, from ice cream, to onion soup, to sugar mice, but can also be read simply for the interesting background behind the all of them, back ground that isn’t just from Harry Potter, but the real world as well ...more
Amy
Feb 10, 2011 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Includes quotes and passages from the books that inspired the recipes - though most are just traditional British foods. I couldn't believe there wasn't a recipe for butterbeer which has got to be the most popular wizarding food any Muggle would like to try, but there are many others on the net. I also like cookbooks with pictures which this doesn't have. Still a good addition to your HP library.
Ivonne Rovira
Dec 21, 2015 Ivonne Rovira rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Potter Heads and those wishing to sample traditional Brit cuisine
I thoroughly enjoyed Dinah Bucholtz’s The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook: From Cauldron Cakes to Knickerbocker Glory — More Than 150 Magical Recipes for Muggles and Wizards.

But I was a bit confused as to who the intended audience was. Initially, I thought it was a cookbook aimed at children. The introduction seems to make it seem so, and I thought, what a great idea! Lure boys and girls into the joys of cooking by exploiting — er, capitalizing — on children’s love for the Harry Potter books a
Lolly's Library
I admit it, I adore tie-in cookbooks. Redwall, Discworld, even Fanny Flagg's Whistle Stop Cafe cookbook...you find me a cookbook that ties in with a series I enjoy and I'll snap it up, lickety-split. That's why I was so excited to find The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook. Even since I first read the books, the food mentioned in them fascinated me, not just the traditional British food (which, due to my Anglophilia, I've long been interested in), but the strange and wonderful wizard food, food w ...more
Kaleigh
Mar 14, 2012 Kaleigh rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Now, like everyone else here I'm going to complain about the lack of pictures in this cookbook.
The thing that got to me the most though, was that some recipes have not even been tested.

Quote: "You may find this recipe a bit, well, repulsive. The following recipe has not been tested, so proceed at your peril (if you can even find all the ingredients)."

This was a recipe for haggis and while I will certainly admit that this is not something that I think "Right, well, I can't wait to make that Tuesd
Carrie
Jun 27, 2014 Carrie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-stars, about-hp
I received this book as a gift and while I thought it would be entertaining (as I enjoy all things HP), I was truly impressed by the quality of the book overall. For each recipe included in the book there is a summary of the reference within the HP books, a origin of the dish overall and whether it is still popular in the UK, how to make the recipe more adult or child friendly and tips to make the recipes with alternative ingredients for US cooks without access to some UK products. The book had ...more
Angie
Jan 14, 2011 Angie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
To be fair ... I did actually read/skim over this cookbook WANTING to love it. And I still love the idea of it. But I didn't actually try cooking any of the recipes.

There are several things in here that I would have changed.

1) No photos. No photos at all. I know that makes cookbooks cost more (and not all cookbooks have them) but for not particularly gifted cooks like myself, well. We kind of need the photos.

2) Not particularly easy looking recipes. Again ... kind of depends on what you're looki
Lamadia
This is chock full of traditional British recipes. I haven't had a chance to try them out, but I'm so excited to have a Shepherd's Pie recipe along with some other classics. If it was mentioned in the books, it's in the cookbook. Unlike other tie-in cookbooks that aim for inventive recipes where the end result looks like something from the movie or something like that, this is mostly recipes for the real classic British foods that are mentioned in the story (there's a lot of feasting that goes o ...more
Missie
May 16, 2015 Missie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Bangers and mash with Harry, Ron, and Hermione in the Hogwarts dining hall. A proper cuppa tea and rock cakes in Hagrid's hut.

Cauldron cakes and pumpkin juice on the Hogwarts Express.

With
this cookbook, dining a la Hogwarts is as easy as Banoffi Pie! With
more than 150 easy-to-make recipes, tips, and techniques, you can
indulge in spellbindingly delicious meals drawn straight from the pages
of your favorite Potter stories, such as:

Treacle Tart--Harry's
favorite dessert, Molly's Meat Pie
Luna (teacats)
Apr 09, 2017 Luna (teacats) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great tie in, with all my favorite recipes... but where was butterbeer???
Anna Nesterovich
Jun 05, 2017 Anna Nesterovich marked it as cookbook-on-trial  ·  review of another edition
Review in progress, each newly tried recipe will be rated separately.
p. 77 - 2 stars - Oversized Blueberry Muffins with Crunchy Tops - a very good idea, easy to make, BUT the recipe calls for 2 teaspoons of baking soda. I shrugged and put them in, but it's way to much; had to throw away the muffins, because they not only tasted of soda, they were literally bitter from it.
Bookworm
First and foremost, I am a Potterhead so when I saw this cookbook available on AmazonVine, I had to request it. When the Harry Potter books finally came to an end, I loved the series so much, I read all seven books all over again. I ran the gamut of emotions while reading these beloved books, I laughed, I cried.... I developed a crush on Professor Snape.

Hogwarts is the literary place I'd most like to visit. (Go Slytherin) I'd want to drink Butterbeer and eat treats from Honedukes candy shop. Wh
Stephanie
I loved reading about all the amazing foods in the Harry Potter series – both real and imagined. Since most of the real foods are based on UK-based dishes, I was just as happy to read about them (pasties, trifles, puddings and pies) as I was to dream about JK Rowling’s fictional foods (Butterbeer, chocolate frogs and rock cakes).

The cookbook is a hardcover with a beautiful, purple cover. The pages are also 'antiqued' and give the entire thing an old 'magic book' feel.

I was a little (okay, a lot)
Jillyn
Jul 27, 2015 Jillyn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I love Harry Potter. I love food. I love the food from Harry Potter. Reading about treats like butterbeer and treacle tarts used to make me want to be a witch just so I could enjoy them. I thought this book and I would get along great. Unfortunately, this cookbook is mediocre at best.

I will first make the same complaint everyone else is making: there's no pictures. Not one. There's 150 recipes of delicious sounding things, and not a picture among them. It was pretty disappointing.

It starts with
Michelle (In Libris Veritas)
Full review to come
Adalira Morningstar
Clearly the biggest example of magic is how everyone at Hogwarts isn't 500 pounds.
Anne Hawn Smith
I enjoyed reading the recipes for many of the dishes I have seen mentioned in books and movies and had no idea what they contained. I always wondered about "Steak and Kidney Pie," "Haggis" or "Kippers." People are always eating them in books I read. They never sounded good to me and after reading the recipe, I'll give them a pass! There are others though that I found interesting. I'm glad to read that "Pumpkin Juice" has apple juice, grape juice and pineapple juice in it. I couldn't imagine how ...more
Jessica
Jan 09, 2011 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
This isn't just for Harry Potter fans . . . no, this is for fans of food in general and traditional British cooking in particular. There is a lot of food mentioned in the Harry Potter books, and Bucholz has noted every feast, snack, dessert, and piece of candy that Harry and friends munch on, and recreated it simply and charmingly. Each recipe is headed with a quote or citation from the HP books, and there's also fascinating historical facts about the food as well. The history of potatoes, custa ...more
Carolyn
Dec 15, 2016 Carolyn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference, food
This book is geared for Americans who are not familiar with British food and cooking. I enjoyed the interesting side notes explaining the origins of particular dishes, but I was disappointed by some interpretations. (For example, I strongly suspect that cauldron cakes are not pancakes.) Overall, I'll stick with Jamie Oliver for classic British food.
Laurie Garrison
For a freebie I’m not going to fuss much. This cookbook only has 15 recipes and most of them I already have. So really why 3 starts? Well, I liked how the recipes were tied with Harry Potter and it even gave the chapters so you can find the food. This cookbook is most definitely for the Harry Potter fan.
Jenni
I really liked the 'harry potter' side of this cookbook. Basically all the little things about the wizarding world made me smile. BUT the recipes. They weren't that convincing. Some seemed good, but the rest super simple and not that good.
Christen
I'm sorry, you put Harry Potter and Cookbook together and you don't have a recipe for butterbeer?!?!?

Other than that, some of the recipes sound awesome and I totally want to have a Harry Potter dinner party.
Erika
This chick stole all of J.K. Rowlings's success and used it to write a cookbook. Every recipe talks about a scene in one of the Harry Potter books. I don't know whether to say I despise her or give her kudos.
Christina Wilder
Aug 31, 2012 Christina Wilder marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking
Momma needs butterbeer.
  • Charmed Knits: Projects for Fans of Harry Potter
  • An Unofficial Muggle's Guide to the Wizarding World: Exploring the Harry Potter Universe
  • Harry Potter's Bookshelf: The Great Books behind the Hogwarts Adventures
  • Muggles and Magic: J. K. Rowling and the Harry Potter Phenomenon
  • Ultimate Unofficial Guide to the Mysteries of Harry Potter: Analysis of Books 1-4
  • The Ultimate Harry Potter and Philosophy: Hogwarts for Muggles
  • Dear Mr. Potter: Letters of Love, Loss, and Magic
  • Harry Potter and History
  • Mugglenet.Com's What Will Happen in Harry Potter 7: Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Falls in Love and How Will the Adventure Finally End
  • The Science of Harry Potter: How Magic Really Works
  • The Sorcerer's Companion: A Guide to the Magical World of Harry Potter
  • The End of Harry Potter?
  • Mapping the World of Harry Potter: Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers Explore the Bestselling Series of All Time
  • Who Killed Albus Dumbledore?: What Really Happened in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince? Six Expert Harry Potter Detectives Examine the Evidenc
  • The Psychology of Harry Potter: An Unauthorized Examination Of The Boy Who Lived
  • True Blood: Eats, Drinks, and Bites from Bon Temps
  • The Unofficial Hunger Games Cookbook: From Lamb Stew to "Groosling" - More than 150 Recipes Inspired by The Hunger Games Trilogy
  • Mugglenet.com's Harry Potter Should Have Died: Controversial Views from the #1 Fan Site
Dinah Bucholz is the official author of The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook. Dinah was born to a large family and grew up in a small New York City suburb called Monsey. The most exciting things that happened in her childhood were getting her pony tail pulled by various brothers, also getting teased by the same, and enjoying spectacular good times and spectacular fights with her twin sisters.

Dinah
More about Dinah Bucholz...

“Dick,” 0 likes
“2 ounces chopped bittersweet chocolate 1 tablespoon instant coffee 1¼ cups boiling water 2¾ cups all-purpose flour 2¾ cups granulated sugar ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder ½ teaspoon salt 2 teaspoons baking soda 1 teaspoon baking powder 1 cup vegetable oil 1¼ cups buttermilk 4 large eggs 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 9″ × 13″ cake pan. Place the chocolate and coffee in a small bowl. Pour the boiling water over the chocolate and coffee and let it stand 5 minutes. Whisk until smooth. Using an electric mixer, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda, and baking powder in a large bowl. Mix on low speed until well combined. Add the oil and buttermilk and mix well, scraping down the sides as needed. Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each until incorporated. Add the chocolate-coffee mixture very carefully, on the lowest speed, as it will slosh around the bowl. Add the vanilla. Finish by scraping the bowl down and mixing all the batter with a rubber spatula. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 45 minutes, until the cake feels firm when touched lightly in the center or a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached. If the toothpick comes out clean, the cake is over baked. Cool the cake completely in the pan on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners' sugar and serve right out of the pan.” 0 likes