Start by marking “Drawn In: A Peek into the Inspiring Sketchbooks of 44 Fine Artists, Illustrators, Graphic Designers, and Cartoonists” as Want to Read:

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  236 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Sketchbooks offer a fascinating glimpse into private pages where artists brainstorm, doodle, develop and work on ideas, and keep track of their musings. Artists use these journals to document their daily lives, produce their initial ideas for bigger projects, and practice their skills. Using a variety of media from paint to pencil to collage, these pages can become works o ...more
Published June 1st 2011 by Quarry Books (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Drawn In, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Drawn In

Sue Smith
There is nothing like looking at the interior of a sketchbook to get your creative, artistic juices flowing. Especially someone else's! And especially when that person makes their living from their art. For me, it's mind blowing. When you look at your own, there's a bit of you that has a huge satisfaction at the work that's been put on the pages - and inevitably there's surprise too. Sometimes you really make some wonderful stuff, or catch a moment or expression and it's such a treat to see it!! ...more
Carmen
This book is literally pages and pages of sketchbook glimpses. The book appears to be a spin-off of the authors blog Book By It's Cover, a place where she shares her love of art books and started a little feature showcasing the inside of artists sketchbooks... I will put my hands up to now and admit I had never heard of Book By It's Cover... but then I have never heard of a lot of the people that write craft and art books. I know what I like just not usually who made/painted it.

This book is quit
Kate Merriman
This will be a book I keep handy to look at often and gain inspiration (sometimes also known as "Mr Kick in the Ass").

The printing is beautiful and there are just images jammed in everywhere - not a skimpy, withholding kind of book!

There is a wide range of artists and styles represented and an interesting set of questions answered by each one. I particularly liked the author's question of "What are the main functions of your sketchbooks?" This elicited some fascinating responses.

Amanda
As someone who has kept a sketchbook, on and off, for many years, I've always been drawn to other people's sketchbooks -- what do they use them for? How do they interact with the pages? Do they have the same anxiety I do about that first, blank page? Do they ever tear pages out? This lovely volume asks these sorts of questions of 44 artists and reproduces images from their sketchbooks. It's a gorgeous book, and pawing through the pages, reading all about how these artists feel about their sketch ...more
David
I love looking at the sketches and unfinished work of accomplished artists for three reasons:

First, it helps to know that these people are human - not everything they do is a finished masterpiece. Second, it helps me understand how they create their art. A finished, polished artwork is an impenetrable to a beginner, I think, as seeing the exterior of a building. What's inside? How did it come to be? By seeing preliminary work, we can see how it was constructed and that's immensely valuable to u
Parka

(More pictures at parkablogs.com)

I got to know of this book from Book By Its Cover, which is the blog of the author Julia Rothman. I visit her blog regularly to check out lesser known art books. She does a great job featuring artists and their books.

Drawn In seems like an extension of the blog in a book format.

There are 44 artists featured in this book. Each comes with a profile, an interview and pages from their sketchbooks. There's a nice variety of wildly differing styles, all very unique an
Ashleigh
A really nice varied book featuring a lot of artists with different styles! A wealth of information for research. Definitely on my to buy list!
John
This book gave me lots of ideas!
D
Jan 16, 2015 D rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: art-craft
loved it - inspirational
Sam
This book is fantastic in that it not only provides the sketches of the artist, but also imbues the sketches with meaning through simple yet poignant interviews with the artists who drew them. If you are a person who loves learning about people's processes, pick up this book!

The only complaint I have is that it doesn't have more artists in it! I hope that this will become the first in a series of Drawn In books.
Sonya
This is a great book as is her blog-although I wish she would update the blog more. I love looking into the minds and sketchbooks of other amazing artists-seeing what people create is intense!This book is not for you if you are looking for instructional art materials or how to draw it is more like spying into artists heads and seeing what goes on there-do it fall down the rabbit hole-you will not regret it!
Rachel Ramm
So inspiring! I loved looking into the sketchbooks of so many of today's artists and designers, and the interviews were just as helpful to get to know thought processes, motivations, and working methods. It really helped me see what a sketchbook is supposed to be: to not worry about the result, but just concentrate on the process and the ideas. I'm grateful I picked this one up!
Bhan13
I love sketches and sketchbooks, they're generally more lively and thought provoking than finished pieces, and by their incompleteness engage and involve the viewer more fully. A few of the artists featured in this book were familiar to me, it was interesting to see their process (actually I'd love to see a whole series of books, just on artists' process alone!).
Nancy
Gorgeous peeking, and an exciting range, despite the fact that Chicago and Brooklyn artists predominate. The presentation and selection are stellar.
I did grow tired of the interview questions (especially, ug, the ones about "childhood memories," and wondered if it would have been more interesting to let the artists make up and then answer their own.
Michelle
Aug 09, 2012 Michelle rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys illustrations and/or art
I really enjoyed this book. The sketchbooks paired with the short interviews is a great way to "peek" into the artists' worlds.
Catfish Dogfight
Sketchbooks in themselves can approach if not exceed the quality of a finished work. This book is proof of that.
Jim
Apr 07, 2012 Jim marked it as to-read
Vim
I LLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVEEEEEE TTHHHHIIISSSSS BOOOOOK!!!! :)
Jesse Lu  Schreier
super inspiring. Went out and bought a huge new sketchbook.
Jamie
Super inspiring and addictively readable.
catherine james
(Doesn't count towards my goal of 200 books).
Dina Jereidini
Brilliant
Barrett
Barrett marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Inta Waylett
Inta Waylett marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
krad
krad marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Emily Fitzgerald
Emily Fitzgerald marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Saloni Das
Saloni Das marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Niki DeGroot
Niki DeGroot marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
  • Artist's Journal Workshop: Creating Your Life in Words and Pictures
  • Graphic: Inside the Sketchbooks of the World's Great Graphic Designers
  • The Art of Urban Sketching: Drawing On Location Around The World
  • An Illustrated Journey: Inspiration from the Private Art Journals of Traveling Artists, Illustrators and Designers
  • Paper Cutting: Contemporary Artists, Timeless Craft
  • The Map As Art: Contemporary Artists Explore Cartography
  • A Trail Through Leaves: The Journal as a Path to Place
  • Water Paper Paint: Exploring Creativity with Watercolor and Mixed Media
  • The Decorated Journal: Creating Beautifully Expressive Journal Pages
  • Visual Complexity: Mapping Patterns of Information
  • Before and After: How to Design Cool Stuff
  • I Wonder
  • Graphic Design, Referenced: A Visual Guide to the Language, Applications, and History of Graphic Design
  • Keys to Drawing with Imagination: Strategies and Exercises for Gaining Confidence and Enhancing Creativity
  • Print Workshop: Hand-Printing Techniques and Truly Original Projects
  • Charley Harper: An Illustrated Life
  • Pantone: The Twentieth Century in Color
  • Playing with Books: The Art of Upcycling, Deconstructing, and Reimagining the Book
Farm Anatomy: Curious Parts and Pieces of Country Life The Exquisite Book: 100 Artists Play a Collaborative Game Hello, New York: An Illustrated Love Letter to the Five Boroughs Nature Anatomy Collected Quotations: A Journal to Record and Remember Words of Wisdom