Start by marking “Todeszauber” as Want to Read:
Todeszauber

Todeszauber (Inspector Napoleon Bonaparte #6)

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  369 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
During a violent storm, Jeffrey Anderson vanishes without a trace in the Australian bush. When the search for Anderson goes nowhere, Inspector Napoleon Bonaparte is charged with finding the missing man. He discovers that Andreson was known as a violent hothead and was not popular among the Aborigines. On the day of his disappearance the members of the Kalchuts tribe had a ...more
Published September 1st 2002 by New Media German Language (first published 1938)

To ask other readers questions about Todeszauber, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Todeszauber

Eastendleo
Arthur Upfield was a British Australian in a time when British was understood to mean white. His character for his mystery series, Inspector Napoleon Bonaparte, is half Aboriginal.

As a detective novel, it works. Some of the Australian background is taken for granted and could have done with a bit more explanation. Some of the topography and vegetation is named but leaves no impression for those of us unfamiliar with their reality.

What detracts from the story (or did for me) is the race politics.
Bev
The Bone Is Pointed is the sixth novel in Arthur W. Upfield's detective series featuring Inspector Napoleon Bonaparte. It is the second of the these novels which I have read. In this outing Bony is called to the bush country where a man went missing five months ago. Few people really care what happened to Jack Anderson. He was a cruel man with a nasty temper...a man who wasn't afraid to use his whip on those who crossed him. Have the bush men exacted revenge for his beating of one of their own? ...more
Roberta
Apr 22, 2010 Roberta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read all the "Bony" books before, but in this mystery the natural features of the Australian Outback are vivid and gritty. The migration of the rabbits (world gone mad) and the Aboriginal "pointing of the bone" make this like a lesson in natural history and anthropology. Done with the ever charming detective Napoleon Bonaparte, who's ancestry is part European and part Aborigine. Fascinating. Was there a TV series made based on these books? Arthur W.Upfield is the Tony Hillerman of Austral ...more
Ed
Nov 16, 2014 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#6 in the Napoleon "Bony" Bonaparte series. Bony is the son of an English mother and an Australian aboriginal father. This tale of mysterious doings on a pair of stations (ranches) in the rural Australia of the 1940s is fascinating. Bony makes it a point that he has never failed to solve a case and he has never quit one until it was solved. When he is assigned to find what happened to a fence rider who disappeared in an epic rainstorm five months earlier he must utilize all of his knowledge of b ...more
Lucy
"In this country colour is no bar to a keen man's progress providing that he has twice the ability of his rivals. I have devoted my gifts to the detection of crime, believing that when justice is sure the community is less troubled by the criminal. That I stand midway between the black man, who makes fire with a stick, and the white man, who kills women and babes with bombs and machine guns, should not be accounted against me. I have been satisfied with the employment of my mental and inherited ...more
Mary Stanton
If you haven't discovered Arthur Upfield--well, you'll love his setting. It's Australia in the 30's witha half-aborigine detective named Napoleon Bonaparte. The best of this series is THE BONE IS POINTED. ...more
Rusty
This is an author recommended by one of my friends on Paperback Swap and he does an awesome job of crafting an exciting mystery. The main character is Inspector Napoleon Bonaparte, half Aboriginal, who is sent to discover what happened to a man who disappeared checking fence and the herds. Much is included about Aboriginal culture and practices which adds to the tale itself.

I thoroughly enjoyed Bonaparte, his investigation and experiences. Yes, he discovers what happened to the man and why. To
Timothy Ferguson
Oh, such a complicated book for what’s basically a simple detective mystery. It’s the first in the Bony series I’ve listened to, and I enjoyed it immensely except for a disquiet through the whole thing on the matter of race. Are Bony’s feelings of internalised inferiority (due to having a black mother) meant to represent that author’s opinion? Are they meant to show how some black people felt at the time? Can you really admire a hero (and otherwise he’s far more personable than, say Hercule Poir ...more
Caroline
Apr 10, 2015 Caroline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first read this book when I was in High School, it was a book on my English reading list. I enjoyed it then and some 40 years later this book still managed to keep me enthralled. With the plot being set in outback Australia this just added to the enjoyment and it was a great mystery read.
Carol Colfer
Most of Upfield's Bony stories include interesting insights into aboriginal culture. This one brings the rancher/farmers together with the neighbouring aborigines in a complex plot. As usual, Bony uses his observational skills to solve the puzzling murder.
Alaina Sloo
Oct 02, 2015 Alaina Sloo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful series detective novel series, written from the 1920s to the 1960s. Most of the books in this series are set in or near towns or stations in the Australian bush. The books offer a wonderful sense of place and culture of the time, good mysteries to solve, and a half-aboriginal, half-white police detective called Napoleon Bonaparte, a character in the Sherlock Holmes mold. A few of the Napoleon Bonaparte books are set in larger towns or cities, but I think the books set in the bush are ...more
David
Apr 17, 2015 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-thriller
Arthur Upfield has definitely matured as a writer by this novel. Enjoyed it a lot as usual.
isabelle de leeneer
I love the whole series written by Arthur Upfield, a pseudonym for two cousins who wrote these wonderful stories happening in the deep Australia, in the fifties. Inspector Napoleon Bonaparte, who's mother is aboriginal and father is white, who is very unconventional in his methods and is at its best in the great open spaces where only farms and sheep and horses can be seen, takes us with hime to discover this country and the farmers with their hard life. Just by reading these stories, I wanted t ...more
Mahmoud Adly
I wish I could finish reading to the very end of this novel. But unfortunately the language of most characters was taking time to understand than concentrating with other details. Writing with the local Australian accent was not suitable for me. But in general it was a great plot with many details to distract the inspector (or after all, the reader), plus the beautiful description of the scenes.
Wendy
In the first 5 books in the series, Bony works undercover. In this one everyone is aware that he is a (police) detective looking into the disappearance of a man several months earlier. The man's horse came back without him and no one has seen him since.

The sections about the rabbit migration are going to give me nightmares!
Highlandtown
Apr 06, 2016 Highlandtown rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
A middling mystery set in Australia.
Oct 21, 2007 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Inspector Napoleon Bonaparte is, in Australian lingo of the mid-20th century, a "half-caste." That is, he is half-Aborigine and half-white. Arthur Upfield might not have been the best mystery writer ever, but he did challenge white Australian stereotypes about the Aborigines.
Jesse
Jun 26, 2007 Jesse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bony
Arthur Upfield writes some intense mysteries, and he is uncanny at keeping the perpetrator a secret until the very end. The Bone is Pointed deals with many Australian aboriginal mysteries and is my favorite of his many books.
William Doonan
Feb 07, 2013 William Doonan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had never heard of Upfield until a friend told me about him. This is a very good book, dated, for sure, and loaded with the languages and prejudices of the time in which is was written. But it was a blast to read.
Stan
Aug 25, 2007 Stan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Napoleon Bonaparte series of mysteries follows a brilliant half-caste detective in a skillfully evoked 1930's Australia. Fascinating view into another culture and time.
Page
Oct 14, 2008 Page rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book and the others ones in this series (I've read them all) give one a view of life in the outback of Australia, incised and pared down to essentials.
Mary Newcomb
Jeffrey Anderson has been missing for 5 months when Bony is called in to investigate. Despite great personal risk, he figures it all out in fine fashion.

Nicole
Sep 06, 2011 Nicole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Aboriginal shaman uses sympathetic magic in an attempt to harm Bony. This story goes into tribal beliefs and their interactions with whites in greater depth.
Hazel Roberts
Aug 07, 2011 Hazel Roberts rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy the Boney stories .They are set in 1930's to 1950's in Australia sometimes in the city but predominantly in more rempte areas of the country
Drury
Aug 30, 2012 Drury rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the use of 'native' Aussie 'things', the names of the natives, the description of the landscape, the rabbits, the boning...
Peter Metcalfe
Jan 26, 2012 Peter Metcalfe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the first book of Upfield that i read and one of many by the original man of mystery in the Australian landscape
Richard
Bony tracks a death in the bush and is cursed by the Blacks. He figures it out anyway. Okay.
Bglass
Sep 08, 2010 Bglass rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting look at 1940's Australia in the form of a mystery.
Sharron
Feb 21, 2010 Sharron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: australia
One of Upfield's better efforts because it evokes the Bush so well.
Bonnie
Jul 10, 2012 Bonnie marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: newman, mystery
Inspector Bonaparte #6
  • Dear Old Dead (Gregor Demarkian, #9)
  • River of Shadows
  • Carte Blanche
  • The Broken Shore
  • Gently Down the Stream
  • Paving the New Road (Rowland Sinclair #04)
  • The Dragon Murder Case (A Philo Vance Mystery #7)
  • Service of All the Dead (Inspector Morse, #4)
  • The Friend of Madame Maigret (Maigret #34)
  • Died in the Wool (Roderick Alleyn, #13)
  • Murder at the Savoy (Martin Beck, #6)
  • Watch The World Burn (Detective Jill Jackson, #4)
  • The Case of the Angry Mourner
  • A Murder, a Mystery and a Marriage
  • Bereft
  • Drylands
  • I Can Jump Puddles
  • The Social History of the Machine Gun
Aka Arthur Upfield

Arthur William Upfield (1 September 1890 – 13 February 1964) was an Australian writer, best known for his works of detective fiction featuring Detective Inspector Napoleon Bonaparte ('Bony') of the Queensland Police Force, a half-caste Aborigine.

Born in England, Upfield moved to Australia in 1910 and fought with the Australian military during the First World War. Following his wa
More about Arthur W. Upfield...

Inspector Napoleon Bonaparte (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • The Barrakee Mystery
  • The Sands of Windee (Bony, #2)
  • Wings Above the Diamantina
  • Murder Down Under
  • Winds of Evil (A Scribner Crime Classics)
  • The Mystery of Swordfish Reef