Start by marking “The Strange Message in the Parchment (Nancy Drew, #54)” as Want to Read:
The Strange Message in the Parchment (Nancy Drew, #54)

The Strange Message in the Parchment (Nancy Drew #54)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  2,291 ratings  ·  48 reviews
While trying to recover a set of stolen parchment paintings, Nancy Drew becomes involved in tracking a kidnapper and extortionist.
Published October 1st 1976 by Penguin Group (USA) (first published October 1st 1974)

To ask other readers questions about The Strange Message in the Parchment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Strange Message in the Parchment

John Yelverton
Nancy Drew returns in another thrilling addition to this mystery book series.
LuAnn
Hmmm...Nancy ready to give up a mystery because the mystery object was stolen?! Worried about her ability to reproduce a stolen painting?! Too expensive to fly to Rome to check out a clue?! What is wrong with Nancy in this mystery? First, and probably last, time I read this one. It's in that group of 5-10 that I consider the worst of the original 56 hardcovers and 119 Digests that compose the Nancy Drew Mystery Stories so I didn't expect much. I'm interested to see what the next two which I've n ...more
Phe☽♃
The Strange Message in the Parchment is a children's story by Carolyn Keene (pseudonym) and the 54th book in the Nancy Drew series.

After a friend's father receives a mysterious phone call, Nancy Drew is invited to Triple Creek Farm to try to find a hidden message in a parchment painting. But when the painting is stolen Nancy becomes involved in tracking a kidnapper and extortionist.

I’ve always been a voracious reader. So, as a child, one of my favorite things about summer was the frequent tri
Amanda
I love Nancy Drew books, even as a 27 year old, but this was my least favorite of the dozen or so I've read thus far. I have read commentary in regard to the shifting of Nancy from being a confident, strong young woman in the earliest stories, to a more easily preyed upon and less assured individual by the 1980s. Even the book covers reflect this progression. In earlier books we see Nancy on the cover snooping around and on her guard. Here, Nancy's eyes are closed. She has a much softer look, an ...more
Nikita (NjKinny's World of Books & Stuff)
Sep 14, 2013 Nikita (NjKinny's World of Books & Stuff) rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone. A classic Nancy Drew book.. :)
Nancy is on a yet another adventure and this time its her former schoolmate, Junie Flockhart who has brought the mystery for her to solve in "The Strange Message in the Parchment". :)

Junie's father, who also owns a parchment making factory and lives on Triple Creek Farm, has bought a parchment with four scenes painted on it. Junie tells her that soon after buying the parchment, her father got a mysterious call where "a man who didn't give his name said the picture had a message. Anyone who coul
Mary
I'm saying "liked it" because I read it with my daughter, and she liked it, but this was not my favorite Nancy Drew book. It had anti-immigrant, anti-union sentiment at times and quoted the Bible throughout -- when I literally read a line that stated that migrant workers on a farm should speak English if they're working in America, I couldn't believe I was reading this aloud, but once again, we learned a lot of vocabulary words (and I'm pretty sure I was the only reader picking up on this stuff) ...more
Kendall
I felt like this book started out pretty slow, so they didn't have very much time at the end to get to the actual mystery. It felt very rushed at the end. Still I love these books though.
Allison M.
I honestly think this book is really predictable. That's one reason I don't prefer to read mysteries. But, for mysteries, this book isn't great, but it isn't horrible either.
Opticalillusion
Another great read that I thoroughly enjoyed on my holiday. Mystery of Crocodile Island is my next one to hunt down according to the story.
Sona
I loved this book..... it was interesting and different from other Nancy Drew mysteries.yet again Nancy returns with a sparkling mystery!!!
Rebeccah
Not sure if I got smarter, or if the later Nancy Drew books got more predictable...
♆ BookAddict ♨ ✒ La Crimson Femme❇ ♐
I remember the first time I read Nancy Drew. It blew my mind that there were girls presented with a brain. Most of the stuff I'd read up to that time, was that girls were sugar and spice - fluffy. No brains. To also learn about George who is a tomboy was a nice validation. Carolyn Keene wrote just for me! That is how I felt. When I did more research, I was shocked to find out, Ms. Keene was actually a man ... writing under Frank Dixon. I also loved the Hardy Boys. No wonder I loved these series.
Ann
the suspect is predictable

isolovebooks.blogspot.com
Melanie
Travel cocktease. They talk about going to Italy but this is the first time that capricious travel has been TOO EXPENSIVE for Drew 'n' Company.

One of the character is a shepherd named Ezekiel and he quotes scripture.

Nancy tries to find the origin of a mysterious child and comes across a phony union extortion scheme.

Nobody loses consciousness but Nancy gets attacked by a flock of mechanical birds and attacked by a ram.
Judy
This is another of the poorly written later Nancy Drew books written by someone writing anonymously for the publisher, whose goal was to crank out as many money-makers as possible as quickly as possible. It broke from the pattern of Nancy Drew stories by including a shepherd who quoted from the Bible, which would make the book questionable for inclusion in a public school library.
Jessi
Nancy's friend Junie has a parchment that her father bought from a neighbor. It seems to have been created by the same artist as another couple of paintings, all seeming to have some sort of message. Nancy needs to solve this message as well as the mystery of what is going on with her neighbor. The man is Italian and has a mysteriously downtrodden nephew.
Shawnee
Ok.... Nancy could have used some tact and discretion before openly trespassing on somebody's property. That was disappointing. Also the author could have used some tact when describing how the lambs were slaughtered. ugh. :-( I did enjoy the Biblical references every so often though. This was another good book written slightly different.
Laura Bang
Oh, Nancy Drew, such a beloved figure of my childhood. Although the books do not stand up well to adult scrutiny (all-too-convenient plot "twists", flat too-perfect characters, and many actions on the part of our heroes that most people would consider extremely illegal), Nancy Drew is still a fun read for a bit of nostalgia.
Ashleigh
This book was different from the rest of the Nancy Drew books. It was not AS implausible, however still not quite real, and Bess and George were not involved from the start. They boys didn't come in until later either. The change made it a lot better than the other books.
Jo and Hali
This book is really good. Its about Nancy's friend Judy got a parchment with a note on it but she dosen't know what it means. So she gos to Nancy for help. As Nancy investigates she becomes suspitious of one man named Rocko. Read the book to find out what happends.
Megan Lengel
A sheep farmer recieves a mysterious phone call shortly after he buys a series of pictures painted on parchment "Decipher the message in the parchment and right a great wrong," the voice says. Puzzled, the owner asks Nancy to help.
Hubert Su9
This book is a thriller!!,It started out when a somebody call Nancy's friend Father,
This is what he said: "there is a strange message in the Parchment, and can right an old wrong"!, hope you enjoy reading this book!
Arielle Guevara
This book was very interesting because it was about a painting on parchment. And I noticed that Nancy wasn't solving the mystery with Bess and George, but with her friend Junie. It was a fun read. :)
Nicole Cadet
This one should have been called "Nancy Drew is a Mary Sue". The writing was terrible, the situations (even for Nancy) completely unbelievable, and the mystery really, really uninteresting.
Ami
Cute story, but very simple. It is a book geared to children. I was looking for more depth in the story but that is not what children are looking for. It is cute and clean.
Jamie
I didnt really follow this one. Ive read of five or six of the nancy drew books but this one didnt click like the otheres did. Its just not ine of my favorite books.
Olivia
This book is just weird. It gives a detailed description of a slaughterhouse. I wouldn't want a child to read this. I don't even want to have read this.
Dawn
I really liked this book found it interesting to read.I find most of her books interesting to read.They keep my attention and do not get boring or dull.
Catherine Woodman
I absolutely adored these growing up, much more so than the Hardy Boys, and still carry a fondness for them into adulthood
Jodian Mason
i love this book so much one of best Nancy drew books and for a 12 year old this book is awesome and full of mysteries so col ha
  • The Gatehouse Mystery
  • The Disappearing Floor (Hardy Boys, #19)
  • The Happy Valley Mystery (Trixie Belden, #9)

Edna and Harriet Stratemeyer inherited the company from their father Edward Str
More about Carolyn Keene...
The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew, #1) The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew, #2) Nancy Drew: #1-64 The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew, #3) The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew, #4)