Start by marking “The Strange Message in the Parchment (Nancy Drew, #54)” as Want to Read:
The Strange Message in the Parchment (Nancy Drew, #54)

The Strange Message in the Parchment (Nancy Drew #54)

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,701 Ratings  ·  59 Reviews
While trying to recover a set of stolen parchment paintings, Nancy Drew becomes involved in tracking a kidnapper and extortionist.
Published October 1st 1976 by Penguin Group (USA)

To ask other readers questions about The Strange Message in the Parchment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Strange Message in the Parchment

Amanda
Jan 30, 2013 Amanda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I love Nancy Drew books, even as a 27 year old, but this was my least favorite of the dozen or so I've read thus far. I have read commentary in regard to the shifting of Nancy from being a confident, strong young woman in the earliest stories, to a more easily preyed upon and less assured individual by the 1980s. Even the book covers reflect this progression. In earlier books we see Nancy on the cover snooping around and on her guard. Here, Nancy's eyes are closed. She has a much softer look, an ...more
Dua Azhar
Nancy Drew just always knows how to solve a mystery, and a tough one at that.
Number 54 in the Nancy Drew series, The Strange Message in the Parchment written by the mystery-filled Carolyn Keene, is what I personally think the most complicated and difficult mystery I've ever read in the Nancy Drew series.
Like all the Nancy Drew series, #54 has just the right amount of suspense that just wants the reader to read more and more to figure out the case. Not only suspense, but I love how Nancy and he
John Yelverton
Sep 30, 2011 John Yelverton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nancy Drew returns in another thrilling addition to this mystery book series.
May 08, 2015 Jennifer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nancy-drew
I'm not sure what to make of this Nancy Drew title. Usually nothing stands in Nancy's way as she jets around the world to solve her crimes, but this time a trip to Milano, Italy is deemed too expensive.

Nancy also gets to tour a slaughterhouse in this one! She is very practical in her realization that meat has to come from somewhere. Of course, Bess is appalled at the idea even though she loves her lamb chops!

Nancy meets a man who is always quoting scripture which is another departure from the n
Meaghan Steeves
Jan 26, 2015 Meaghan Steeves rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For taking place in the United States, when these stories have taken place all over the world, this was among the most different and deep of the Nancy Drew mysteries I've read. While it still held that vintage aura and continued its familiar themes, Nancy is the most on her own in this story and some of the elements were different than previous episodes. For one thing, a bad guy rarely turns into a good guy in these stories, biblical verses are quoted (and footnoted!), there is actual child abus ...more
KaseCase
Mar 09, 2016 KaseCase rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my ultimate favorites! Top five of the Nancy Drew series, for sure. Reading this novel made me think, reflect, strain, and ultimately build my own inquisitive skill set. Twenty years after reading this particular book ("Message in the Parchment") I find it haunting me in my every day life. It's central plot is haunting and its confluence with Nancy's everyday life is unforgettable.

I own all 56 ND's in first edition and rewritten sets. This is my favorite. Read it. Devour it. Adore the en
Phe
Jan 29, 2015 Phe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Strange Message in the Parchment is a children's story by Carolyn Keene (pseudonym) and the 54th book in the Nancy Drew series.

After a friend's father receives a mysterious phone call, Nancy Drew is invited to Triple Creek Farm to try to find a hidden message in a parchment painting. But when the painting is stolen Nancy becomes involved in tracking a kidnapper and extortionist.

I’ve always been a voracious reader. So, as a child, one of my favorite things about summer was the frequent
Nikita (NjKinny's World of Books & Stuff)
Sep 14, 2013 Nikita (NjKinny's World of Books & Stuff) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone. A classic Nancy Drew book.. :)
Nancy is on a yet another adventure and this time its her former schoolmate, Junie Flockhart who has brought the mystery for her to solve in "The Strange Message in the Parchment". :)

Junie's father, who also owns a parchment making factory and lives on Triple Creek Farm, has bought a parchment with four scenes painted on it. Junie tells her that soon after buying the parchment, her father got a mysterious call where "a man who didn't give his name said the picture had a message. Anyone who coul
Mary
Mar 01, 2014 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm saying "liked it" because I read it with my daughter, and she liked it, but this was not my favorite Nancy Drew book. It had anti-immigrant, anti-union sentiment at times and quoted the Bible throughout -- when I literally read a line that stated that migrant workers on a farm should speak English if they're working in America, I couldn't believe I was reading this aloud, but once again, we learned a lot of vocabulary words (and I'm pretty sure I was the only reader picking up on this stuff) ...more
Kendall
I felt like this book started out pretty slow, so they didn't have very much time at the end to get to the actual mystery. It felt very rushed at the end. Still I love these books though.
Allison M.
I honestly think this book is really predictable. That's one reason I don't prefer to read mysteries. But, for mysteries, this book isn't great, but it isn't horrible either.
Opticalillusion
Sep 20, 2014 Opticalillusion rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great read that I thoroughly enjoyed on my holiday. Mystery of Crocodile Island is my next one to hunt down according to the story.
Sona
Apr 12, 2014 Sona rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book..... it was interesting and different from other Nancy Drew mysteries.yet again Nancy returns with a sparkling mystery!!!
Sydney
Mar 14, 2015 Sydney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i really really liked this book.it has so much mystery and adventure in one. plus it has so many mini mysteries in it
Rebeccah DiPuccio
Not sure if I got smarter, or if the later Nancy Drew books got more predictable...
Katie
Aug 17, 2015 Katie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another one of the best.
LuAnn
Jan 01, 2015 LuAnn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hmmm...Nancy ready to give up a mystery because the mystery object was stolen?! Worried about her ability to reproduce a stolen painting?! Too expensive to fly to Rome to check out a clue?! What is wrong with Nancy in this mystery? First, and probably last, time I read this one. It's in that group of 5-10 that I consider the worst of the original 56 hardcovers and 119 Digests that compose the Nancy Drew Mystery Stories so I didn't expect much. I'm interested to see what the next two which I've n ...more
Karishma
Aug 09, 2015 Karishma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
good
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I remember the first time I read Nancy Drew. It blew my mind that there were girls presented with a brain. Most of the stuff I'd read up to that time, was that girls were sugar and spice - fluffy. No brains. To also learn about George who is a tomboy was a nice validation. Carolyn Keene wrote just for me! That is how I felt. When I did more research, I was shocked to find out, Ms. Keene was actually a man ... writing under Frank Dixon. I also loved the Hardy Boys. No wonder I loved these series.
Becky
I enjoyed reading this, even if it isn't my normal fare.
Melanie
Travel cocktease. They talk about going to Italy but this is the first time that capricious travel has been TOO EXPENSIVE for Drew 'n' Company.

One of the character is a shepherd named Ezekiel and he quotes scripture.

Nancy tries to find the origin of a mysterious child and comes across a phony union extortion scheme.

Nobody loses consciousness but Nancy gets attacked by a flock of mechanical birds and attacked by a ram.
Mikayla
Mar 03, 2015 Mikayla rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nancy-drew, mystry
This was one of my least favorite Nancy Drew's. The person writing it was obviously a vegatairian which just got on my nerves because the book is set on a Sheep farm and theres all this "Aww you wouldn't kill a cute little lamb like that would you?" stuff in book. I really love animals but it was still grating. There were a few other minor things about the book that were anoying but that was the main one.
Judy
May 28, 2013 Judy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is another of the poorly written later Nancy Drew books written by someone writing anonymously for the publisher, whose goal was to crank out as many money-makers as possible as quickly as possible. It broke from the pattern of Nancy Drew stories by including a shepherd who quoted from the Bible, which would make the book questionable for inclusion in a public school library.
Jessi
Nancy's friend Junie has a parchment that her father bought from a neighbor. It seems to have been created by the same artist as another couple of paintings, all seeming to have some sort of message. Nancy needs to solve this message as well as the mystery of what is going on with her neighbor. The man is Italian and has a mysteriously downtrodden nephew.
Shawnee
Ok.... Nancy could have used some tact and discretion before openly trespassing on somebody's property. That was disappointing. Also the author could have used some tact when describing how the lambs were slaughtered. ugh. :-( I did enjoy the Biblical references every so often though. This was another good book written slightly different.
I felt like Nancy was a bit less competent in this book than she usually is which was annoying. I also thought all of the sheep farm / slaughterhouse stuff was really weird, overdone, and not enjoyable to read about. All of Eezy's bible quotes seemed out of place too. Overall this was just a weird installment in the series.
Laura Bang
Oh, Nancy Drew, such a beloved figure of my childhood. Although the books do not stand up well to adult scrutiny (all-too-convenient plot "twists", flat too-perfect characters, and many actions on the part of our heroes that most people would consider extremely illegal), Nancy Drew is still a fun read for a bit of nostalgia.
Ashleigh
Mar 06, 2012 Ashleigh rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
This book was different from the rest of the Nancy Drew books. It was not AS implausible, however still not quite real, and Bess and George were not involved from the start. They boys didn't come in until later either. The change made it a lot better than the other books.
Jo and Hali
May 22, 2011 Jo and Hali rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is really good. Its about Nancy's friend Judy got a parchment with a note on it but she dosen't know what it means. So she gos to Nancy for help. As Nancy investigates she becomes suspitious of one man named Rocko. Read the book to find out what happends.
Megan Lengel
A sheep farmer recieves a mysterious phone call shortly after he buys a series of pictures painted on parchment "Decipher the message in the parchment and right a great wrong," the voice says. Puzzled, the owner asks Nancy to help.
  • The Mystery of the Midnight Marauder (Trixie Belden #30)
  • The Short-Wave Mystery (Hardy Boys, #24)
  • The Red Trailer Mystery (Trixie Belden, #2)

Edna and Harriet Stratemeyer inherited the company from their father Edward Str
More about Carolyn Keene...

Nancy Drew (1 - 10 of 175 books)
  • The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew, #1)
  • The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew #2)
  • The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew, #3)
  • The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew, #4)
  • The Secret of Shadow Ranch (Nancy Drew, #5)
  • The Secret of Red Gate Farm (Nancy Drew, #6)
  • The Clue in the Diary (Nancy Drew, #7)
  • Nancy's Mysterious Letter (Nancy Drew, #8)
  • The Sign of the Twisted Candles (Nancy Drew, #9)
  • Password to Larkspur Lane (Nancy Drew, #10)