Start by marking “Old Wounds (Old Wounds, #1)” as Want to Read:
Old Wounds (Old Wounds, #1)

Old Wounds (Old Wounds #1)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  212 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Sent to live with her estranged father, troubled seventeen year Sophia Young is biding her time until school is over and freedom is hers. But running from her painful past is not as easy as she was expecting, especially after meeting a kindred spirit in Elliott Dalton, the shy, withdrawn son of a prominent doctor.

In the first novel of the series, they are paired together i
ebook
Published December 2010 by TWCS - Publishing House

To ask other readers questions about Old Wounds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Old Wounds

Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. JamesFifty Shades Darker by E.L. JamesFifty Shades Freed by E.L. JamesSempre by J.M. DarhowerGabriel's Inferno by Sylvain Reynard
Pulled to Publish Fan Fiction
116th out of 212 books — 296 voters
Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireFallen Crest High by TijanBully by Penelope DouglasFallen Crest Family by TijanFallen Crest Public by Tijan
Love him, love them!
162nd out of 175 books — 245 voters

More lists with this book...

Andrea (mrsaubergine)
Wow. This book was amazing.

I never read it when it was part of an online writing community (IYKWIM) but I had heard all the buzz and knew it would be something special once it was published. What I wasn't prepared for was the fantastic writing - amazing for a first novel - and the way in which the characters were developed. I became really invested in their lives, and by the end I was begging for more. Thank goodness the second book in this series comes out next month!

Sophie is a troubled teen w
I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com)
OLD WOUNDS is a dark and sad story about a group of teens thrown together in a counseling situation in an attempt to heal the old wounds that plague their existence. Although an unlikely group, they find ways to interact and trust one another with their secrets and fears.

I originally shelved this as a "romance" - after finishing the novel, I have removed this tag as there really aren't many romantic elements to the story. I am very interested to hear more about Elliot's story in the next install
Diane S.
Sophie is sent to live with her father after she is caught stealing a car. In court mandated therapy, she meets other teens, with secrets of their own. They are all messed up in their own particular way. This is a YA novel that has crossover appeal, as the reader cannot help but fall in love with these teens. Sophie meets Elliott, who has his own ghosts to conquer, particularly his horrific stutter. As the two begin to get close to each other, mostly using e-mails, more and more of their story i ...more
Rachael
Apart from the fact every character is pretty much an exact copy of a twilight character, it was a nice easy read. Not a lot happened but it set some good foundations for the rest of the series which I am looking forward to reading.
ETA I just read this was originally a twilight fanfic which explains a lot!
Claire Contreras
This entire series is great. It's painful, sad, angst filled, but great. The characters are relate-able, their situations are real. I enjoyed these books a lot.
♡ Brandy ♡
I wasn't sure what to expect at first with this book.

I went a little click happy on Netgalley and this was one of them.

I was pleasantly surprised. I was pulled into it in the first chapter! This poor girl has gone through so much (well it is at first implied and we know what it is for the most part by the implications). We don't really get the back story just that things were not good at home with her mother. She goes to live with her father after getting in trouble.

This is where we get to meet
Kindaslick
This will be the strangest review I've ever done for a series because I haven't finished it and I know I won't but as this is a series that is so far removed from anything else it makes an odd sense. So I'll just start.

I can't finish this series. I can't. Not because of anything negative about the stories, characters, writing. I can't finish these books because I have old wounds myself and the heart in these pages rips them open and leaves me bleeding. Days, weeks, months later. It's so true, so
Holly

This is the second time I've read this book.

I love Sophie's sarcasm and bitchy attitude. She seems tough and thick skinned but underneath she's scared. Scared of her memories and the feelings they induce when remembering. This she believes makes her weak; She hates feeling weak. She also doesn't believe in dreams or happily ever afters, she believes in existing.

But then she meets Eliot. After being forced into taking group therapy, Eliot and Sophie are pa
Bonnie (Words at Home Blog)
When I first started reading Old Wounds the first thing that struck me was how raw and strong Sophie’s language and behavior were. Normally that would really turn me off a book – or a character – but as I kept reading I came to appreciate the rawness of Sophie's character and felt it added to her authenticity. After I thought about it I couldn’t really imagine a 17-year-old girl who had been through what Sophie had been through acting much differently.

As far as characters go, I couldn’t have ask
Mina_rrat
Where to start off this one? I have both the shortest and most informative review for you:

moving - therapy - drugs - being stoned – having sex - being high - hang out with Elliot - being high - having therapy - having sex - hang out with Elliot - being high - being high
Put on repeat and you've got the story.
The story itself has potential, a lot actually, but the way it is told and drawn out in, makes it unattractive.
Demaris
This was the most depressing FF I've ever read (and I'm a full paid up memeber of the AngstHoor club), and yes there is a difference between angst and depressing. Angst fiction squeezes your heart and makes you long for a happy ending, depressive fiction makes you want to slash your wrist.
End. Don't think I can stomach this again even in it published form.
Jennifer Plummer
I don't know what it is about these characters but they make me want to scream at them, throw things across the room, and then hug them for the rest of my life! The author states that she likes to write books that speak to the human condition but her books scream at mine! I am so in love with Elliot Dalton that he is my new leading man. Watch out Edward, Christian, and the Professor, this beautiful, broken boy is moving in. Sophie can be hard to handle at times and very frustrating but that's wh ...more
Jessica
From the beginning this book captured my interest.
I had to keep reading to figure out Elliott and Sophie's toured pasts.
Both characters are quite interesting. I've never come across one who stutters like Elliott. And Sophie... Usually I like the female lead, but I was not a fan of certain activities she did with Jason. Of course it's some sort of coping mechanism or something. It just bothered me reading about all the things she took part in.

I'm surprised to see how many books are in this seri
Francine
I'm not quite sure how to review this book other than to say "Wow!" It delves into the lives of two very broken individuals who each, in their own way, provide strength for each other. I have not read the previous Old Wounds books in the series but was given just enough background information to understand what was going on. This is one of those books that you find yourself still thinking about long after you have finished it and put it down. The characters became very real because of the obviou ...more
Eleonora
I'm giving it four stars cause I really can't separate the opinion that I have for the fanficion from the one for the book. While it was easy to fall into the new context (different names, different places) it was nearly impossible to forget the story, and this leave me with don't knowing if this book can stand alone. I think that if i hadn't read the fanfiction, the end would have been too ungratifying, too incomplete. I love sagas, but I belive that each book has got to have a purpose, and I d ...more
Ashley
I'm in between three to four stars on this book. The reason I didn't give it four is because I feel like the process of Sophie and Elliot is a little slow developing. I understand there is a lot to cover with all the baggage between the two characters. It also doesn't help that Elliot can't talk fluently. However, the story is interesting enough for me to want to continue on to the next book to see what happens between the characters.
Jill Fox
I vaguely remember reading this in it's fanfiction form but could not remember much about it.

When I first started reading it I wasn't sure wether I was going to enjoy it.

Somehow I fell for the characters and my heart went out to them and I am now looking forward to reading the next book.

Michelle Birbeck
I started and finished reading this today, and honestly, I don't think it was really my kind of book. Some of the issues raised in it aren't my cup of tea, but having said that, I did think they were dealt with very well.
Joan
HOOKED the book just grabs you, never have i felt so sorry for two teenagers before and thats with out knowing the full story. Can't wait to read more in the series to see what happens.
Dawn Marshall
A wonderful well written book of teens going through troubled times. I really loved seeing the relationship develop between Elliott and Sophie. Can't wait to start reading book 2.
Donna Huber
I love this story and can't wait for the sequel. See my full review at http://www.girl-who-reads.com/2011/03...
Margarida
I read the fanfiction version and was amazed by it. N.K.Smith writing is so good, so intense and real. I'll have to buy a copy, that's for sure.
Jaime Arkin
Aug 23, 2012 Jaime Arkin marked it as nope-not-going-to-happen
This was originally published as the Twilight fan fiction Just Wait under the pen name InstantKarmaGirl
Say
nice....I'll make a proper review after I finished the last book.
Tabs
Really enjoyed this book. Very well written. Loved it.
Monica
Love it now as i did back then ;)
Mell
See book the third for review.
rameau
Sep 03, 2013 rameau marked it as not-for-me
Shelves: p2p
See comments.
Gabriela Mira williams
Gabriela Mira williams marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
  • Grave Refrain
  • Living Backwards
  • Gilded Cage
  • A Multitude of Sins
  • The Golden Apple of Discord (The Discord Trilogy, #1)
  • Indivisible
  • Life, Liberty, and Pursuit
  • Three Daves
  • Cocktails and Dreams (Cocktails and Dreams, #1)
  • Cure For Pain
  • The Way That You Play It
Based in the American Midwest, N.K. Smith is the author of the Old Wounds Series, Ghosts of Our Pasts, My Only, Are You Mine?, Hollywood Lies, and Hollywood Sins (available 7/2014).
An avid lover of history, art, music, books, and people, she is interested in telling stories that speak to the human condition.

FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/NKSmithAuthor
More about N.K. Smith...
My Only (Versions, #1) Little Battles (Old Wounds, #2) Weight of the World (Old Wounds, #3) Where All Things Will Grow (Old Wounds, #4) Are You Mine?