Start by marking “We Were Ugly So We Made Beautiful Things” as Want to Read:
We Were Ugly So We Made Beautiful Things

We Were Ugly So We Made Beautiful Things

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  14 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Barringer's third fiction collection includes 15 stories, a seven-page intro by Steve Almond, author of My Life in Heavy Metal, and cover art and 8 illustrations by Eduardo Recife. Stories are thematically linked, as suggested by the title.
Published July 1st 2004 by Word Riot Press (first published June 2003)

To ask other readers questions about We Were Ugly So We Made Beautiful Things, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We Were Ugly So We Made Beautiful Things

Susan
Was disappointed when I got this book to see it was put together like any number of books I made in grade school, but that'll teach me to judge a book by its cover. These stories and essays are at once funny and honest and poetic and empathetic. Short like snapshots, you just get a glimpse, and that left me wondering, which is a wonderful thing in a book. If you've ever felt ugly, or wondered how to perservere in a ugly world or an ugly situation, give this collection a shot.
Paul Eckert
A tiny book that packs a punch. The title does a lot of heavy lifting with these short stories, setting the stage for a crew of outcasts to create something of meaning. The first half of the book is hit or miss, but the last half is an example of amazing writing. Definitely check this book out.
Kristina
This is an incredible book of stories by an author I really admire. His work has done a lot to help me as a writer when I needed to break out of the boring literary box and begin to think outside of it.
Sam
Great, very-short stories. Lovely quick read.
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2013
Jason Manford
Jason Manford marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2013
Tlcbr1
Tlcbr1 marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2013
Jobiska (Cindy)
Jobiska (Cindy) marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2011
Timmy
Timmy marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2009
Herbert
Herbert marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2008
Laura marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2007
Emigre: American Mutt Barks in the Yard - #68 There's Nothing Funny About Design What Happened To Us These Last Couple Years? Johnny Red American Home Life