Start by marking “Curse the Dawn (Cassandra Palmer, #4)” as Want to Read:
Curse the Dawn (Cassandra Palmer, #4)

Curse the Dawn (Cassandra Palmer #4)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  16,122 ratings  ·  429 reviews
14 hours, 28 minutes

Cassie Palmer may be the world's chief clairvoyant, but that doesn't mean people have stopped trying to kill her. And now, the self-styled god Apollo, the source of Cassie's power, is on the warpath leaving her no choice but to face down her creator once and for all.

Cassandra Palmer may be the all-powerful Pythia now, but that doesn't mean people have

MP3 Book, Unabridged - US Digital Download, 14 pages
Published June 28th 2010 by Tantor Media, Inc. (first published March 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Curse the Dawn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Curse the Dawn

Kat Kennedy
Series Overview Review

The rest of these books were a solid three-star review for me. They're interesting, sexy, reasonably well-written novels. The fourth novel, Curse the Dawn, is a far better read that the first three. In my opinion. Which is the only opinion that counts because this is my review.

Colbert
PS. Jon Stewart is funnier.

Curse the Dawn is FUNNY. The rest of the series has definite moments of funniness to them but they don't compare to Curse the Dawn.

However, there are several problems with t
Nichole (Dirrty H)
Whew. As usual, what a ride!
This review is probably going to mostly be a response to a lot of the other reviews I have read of this book. I was surprised by the mediocre-to-poor response this book received. I loved it!

It seemed like most people's complaints fell into two categories: The break-neck pace, and Cassie's intelligence.
So to respond to issue 1, I have two points:
A. This is what the series is. It has always been this way. You're just figuring this out now? (See my roller coaster analogy
LMM
I really wanted to love this series but four books in & Cassie is still shrieking (practically everything she says ends in exclamation points) & running around like a chicken without a head.

Four books in & there has been no character growth. No real new developments & each book is still chock-a-block full of major events in which the resolutions are soooo underwhelming in their simplicity, it's left me wondering if the author is purposely trying to paint her MC as an idiot b'c w
Felicia
I dunno about this series. There are a LOT of fun moments, but sometimes Cassie acts too stupid to live. There are many times where she just acts dumb and bad things happen (I think getting your character in trouble is taken to the extreme just to get plot moving, as fun as the ride is)

And THEN ---->

SPOILER ALERT STOP READING IF YOU CARE!!!:
At the peak of the climax it literally takes 3 people to explain to her, for like 2 pages, how she caused everything to go wrong herself. Not only did she
Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog)

Come check out the review @ Under the Covers

I think I need a lie down and a nice cup of tea! I have read the four Cassie Palmer books back to back and frankly I am exhausted just reading the damn things! Which, makes me extremely grateful that I am not Cassie, the world's cheif clairvoyant (if they would only listen to her!), who has to put up with a lot of crap, from over protective sort-of husbands to a vengeful god who wants to enslave mankind. It all seems a little over the top when you thin
Jen (Red Hot Books)
Without a doubt, this has the best book yet in the Cassie Palmer series. It had all the great characters, action and smexy goodness of the previous books, without any head-scratching time travel conundrums.

Two main things are happening here: 1. The mages are redoubling their efforts to get their hands on Cassie; and 2. Something has destroyed a ley line and the MAGIC center where the North American Vampires had their stronghold.

The mage attacks throw Cassie and Pritkin even closer together than
Aly is so frigging bored
No words. Just pictures.

One of the amazing quotes from the book:
“Sorry. It’s just—there’s a problem with the bathroom.”
“What problem?”
“There’s no toilet.”
“This is an old house,” Pritkin said, like that explained anything.
“And they didn’t need to pee in the past?” I demanded.
He groaned and threw an arm over his face. “There’s a WC down the hall.”
“A what?” I asked, a little desperately.
“A water closet. It’s in a separate room.”
“Why? Why not put it in the—”
“Because a bathroom is where one goes to b
Mary
Why can't Mircea be in the whole book? Seriously, there is too much inane action going on. Could care less.
Shera (Book Whispers)
“Stalking a time traveler is hard work, even if you are one.” - Cassandra Palmer
You know what else is hard? Not freaking squeeing! That's right I'm gonna say it: Love triangle done freaking right! This is why I keep torturing myself with bad love triangle after bad love triangle. Because when done right, it's A-mazing. See other authors, it took 4 books to build this spectacular chemistry and FIRE! Bless, you Chance. Bless you. Best part is I love both of the men vying for dear Cassie's heart.
Pamela
I like this series. I really do. But I really, really wish that the plots in each separate book would have a better, more polished structure. The plot in this book, much like the other three in the series, rushes headlong from the first page until the last with very little in the way of downtime. You’ve got to give your reader breaks! They need to relax for a minute and assimilate everything that you’ve thrown at them. This book was pretty exciting, but at the same time, I needed more tension br ...more
Joanne
When I read the first book in the Cassie Palmer series, Touch the Dark, I wasn’t too impressed. I enjoyed the plot, the storyline, the action, but it was very much a first book in a series; some things needed to be explained to the reader that Cassie already knew about, which disrupted the story line for several pages at a time, and left me confused. However, I was urged to continue with the series, assured that the series will definitely get better, and so on the assurance of those people, I pi ...more
flajol
Cassie Palmer: TSTL. Within the first few chapters I was groaning aloud and and telling her to "Stop already and just listen to what other people are telling you!" But no, she just blunders on her merry way, causing mayhem as she goes.

That said, it's still four stars from me. Why? Because as infuriating as Cassie can be, this book is still fun, fun, fun all the way! I love the breakneck pace, Pritkin, the supporting characters, Pritkin, the vampire politics, screaming dresses, and er... Pritkin
Cat Russell  (Addicted2Heroines)
I had forgotten how good this was! It's non-stop action all the way through.

The story is loaded with car chases, explosions, angry mages, hungry demons, drag queen divas, and intimate moments with one very sexy vampire. Also, Cassie and Pritkin's "mishap" had me laughing out loud for several pages.

I'm curious to see what happens with Cassie's relationships. I love how good Mircea is to her, but everything is more exciting when Pritkin is around. I can't wait to read "Hunt the Moon".

"He painted
Anna
Aure   `Reading With The Dark`
Best one in the series so far :)
Ithlilian
A large part of this novel is nonstop action. Everyone is out to kill Cassie, all of the time. The poor girl never gets a break! When she is not running from enemies, she is complaining about not having a teacher to help her with her powers. I'd really like to find out more about the black circle, Pritkin, and Mircea, and hear less from Cassie. I'm not a fan of main characters that complain about the situation they are in. Make the best of it please. Also, constant action with no purpose does no ...more
Jennifer Bielman (Bad Bird Reads)
The Good
I am actually smiling as I write this review. From the first few sentences of Curse the Dawn, I knew this was going to be a good book. I usually don't do this but I have to share the beginning of chapter one with you:

Stalking a time traveler is hard work, even if you are one. Especially when said traveler totally had you made. "Can we talk?" I screamed as I dodged behind a column to avoid a spray of bullets.

The women hunting me through the cellar slung her flashlight beam in my directio
Kathy Davie
For person who grew up at a manipulative, evil, violent vampire court, Cassie Palmer is amazingly naive and childish. I'm not sure I'd keep reading this series if not for Pritkin and Mercia. Well, it's also a fascinating world in which she lives.

Admittedly, Cassie's life has been rather topsy-turvy to put it mildly. Protected by a renegade war mage who is never quite sure if he wants to kill her or protect her. "Married" to a master vampire who is himself a target with plans for her future. Thos
Exina
"Pritkin, haven’t you figured it out yet? We don’t get the easy jobs."

Curse the Dawn is the fourth book of the Cassandra Palmer series. Cassie is now free of the geis, but not free of problems. In this book, her main ambition is to reach an agreement with the Silver Circle, but of course it is not that easy.

Cassie

Cassie’s motto in this book: "I don’t get it."

Normally, I like Cassie, but now she is just dumb. The reader was already told in the previous books that she had been raised in a vamp
Darcy
My thoughts on this series and the book are that they are ok. There are aspects that I really like. Cassie's intereaction with Pritkin and Mireca, along with some of the other vamps. But I get tired of all the craziness that she goes through. It seems like she is an airhead that just barely manages to stumble thru and come out alive. That being said there were some truely funny parts in this book. I loved it when Cassie and Pritkin switched bodies and their reaction to it. Especially Cassie's mo ...more
SPOILERS

I think this was the best of the series so far. It was extremely entertaining and fun to read. The parts that were meant to be funny actually were funny without becoming silly. I do however think that it kind of skirted the line between true humor and slapstick, which I don't like, especially when it occurs within a story that is supposed to have dangerous elements. The shifting couch is one example. Despite the fact that I did have a good laugh while reading the scene, it came close to
Jim
2.5 stars. Lots of action - too much - it made the entire book frantic & details magically appeared as needed because there was no time for setup. Odd coming from me, but this would have been better as two books or maybe even three. Served up in one, it was just too far over the top. Lots of good ideas & an interesting world (would I be reading book 4 if it wasn't?) I'm sure there is a book 5 coming out. There is no resolution to the main story.
♥ Ashleigh ♥  contrary to popular belief im not actually mad!
i loved this book, i thought it was fabulously funny. it was great to get to know pritkin better and for his and cassie relationship to become more closer. billy the ghost was just as funny as always. and the end was a splendid finish to the book, i cant wait till i get my hands onto the next book in cassie palmer's series
Cher
I gave this series four books, which is three and half books more than I usually would have given a series. Cassie has had no character development. I sat reading and thinking; "What a stupid, stupid girl" most of the way through the books. I will not be reading this author again.
WillowBe
I liked this one probably least of all, though it's not bad. It was another of those books I stopped reading in the middle back in the summer because I was frustrated with the charactar's cluelessness.

It seemed kind of rushed. I didn't feel satisfied at the story's end. On a superficial note, I wish they would choose one model for the book covers. I preferred the first two. The last two, esp the last one was dippy! This one kind of misleads also. plus it does't look like the charactar.

This flir
VampireNovelFan
I'm sorry, but after that ending this has to be the sorriest excuse for a love triangle I've ever read.

Rant ahead...
(view spoiler)
Lola
I've been waiting a year long for this book and I finally have it! Well, I guess it was worth the wait because Cassie gets into more trouble. Cassandra Palmer, the Pythia, isn't acknowledged by the Circle and Apollo isn't pleased with her from the last book. War is brewing so it's a good thing she has Pritkin and Mircea on her side.

Curse the Dawn has a lot of action, but the flow of it is much more stable and Cassie even has time to breathe before another battle will hit. I'm not so sure about
Aimee
I think this has been my favorite novel in the Cassie Palmer series so far. There are admittedly times that I feel like some of the battles, time shifts, etc., are becoming repetitive, and I do occasionally get tired of Cassie's whining about not having any training, but I still enjoy all the mayhem she causes. This time, she's still dodging all of the various enemies out to kill her, but she does manage to form some alliances. This novel is a lot more political than the others, with factions wi ...more
Samina ~ Escapism~
What can I say about this book that already hasn’t been said. This edition of Cassie Palmer is funny, action packed and filled with emotional drama. I thoroughly enjoyed reading her new adventures. When this series started it left a lot to be desired but it seems like Karen Chance had been listening to the negative criticism and improving her writing. The story and world keeps improving with each book and now you seem to care about each one of them and have an interest to see them to the end.

The
Fangs for the Fantasy
I think that I have a love/hate relationship with this series. At times, the characters, world and plot are absolutely fascinating, and at others, I struggle not to roll my eyes and toss my ereader across the room. Curse the Dawn turned to be more of the same.

At this point, Cassie has been the pythia for one month, but she still has not been crowned, because the circle refuses to acknowledge her right to fulfill this role, though the power clearly chose her. At every turn, Cassie is being manip
  • Pray for Dawn (Dark Days, #4)
  • The Mage in Black (Sabina Kane, #2)
  • City of Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #3)
  • Magic Bleeds (Kate Daniels, #4)
  • Magic in the Blood (Allie Beckstrom, #2)
  • The Renfield Syndrome (Rhiannon's Law, #2)
  • In the Blood (The Maker's Song, #2)
  • One More Bite (Jaz Parks, #5)
  • Deadly Desire (Riley Jenson Guardian #7)
  • Blood of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #2)
  • Crimson Wind (Horngate Witches, #2)
  • Pale Demon (The Hollows, #9)
  • Grave Dance (Alex Craft, #2)
Karen Chance is the author of two New York Times bestselling series, plus a number of novellas and short stories, all set in the Cassandra Palmer universe. A full-time writer since 2008, she was previously a university history teacher, which comes in handy when writing the time-travel aspect of Cassie’s crazy adventures. She loves Las Vegas, the main setting for her novels, but currently lives in ...more
More about Karen Chance...

Cassandra Palmer (9 books)
  • Touch the Dark (Cassandra Palmer, #1)
  • Claimed By Shadow (Cassandra Palmer, #2)
  • Embrace the Night (Cassandra Palmer, #3)
  • Strange Brew
  • Hunt the Moon (Cassandra Palmer, #5)
  • Tempt the Stars (Cassandra Palmer, #6)
  • Reap the Wind (Cassandra Palmer, #7)
  • Ride the Storm (Cassandra Palmer, #8)
Touch the Dark (Cassandra Palmer, #1) Embrace the Night (Cassandra Palmer, #3) Claimed By Shadow (Cassandra Palmer, #2) Death's Mistress (Dorina Basarab, #2) Midnight's Daughter (Dorina Basarab, #1)

“He smiled at that, and then his gaze shifted to a spot over my shoulder and it faded. 'These doubts wouldn’t have anything to do with the company you’re keeping of late, would they?'
I didn’t get a chance to answer before the shop door was thrown open and a furious war mage stomped in. Pritkin spotted me and his eyes narrowed.
'You shaved my legs?!'
Mircea looked at me and folded his arms across his chest. I looked from one unhappy face to the other and suddenly remembered that I had somewhere else to be.”
274 likes
“And I just couldn't take it anymore. I closed the distance between us, slammed him back against the chair and kissed him, holding his head still with both my hands buried in that stupid, stupid hair. I half expected more resistance, because Pritkin had never met an argument he didn't like. So it was a shock when he ran his hands down my sides, cupped my hips and slid us both to the floor.
"I'm going straight to hell for this," he muttered.
"At least you'll know a lot of people," I said breathlessly. ”
257 likes