Start by marking “Faithless (Grant County, #5)” as Want to Read:
Faithless (Grant County, #5)

Faithless (Grant County #5)

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  15,675 Ratings  ·  498 Reviews

New York Times bestseller Karin Slaughter brings back her two most fascinating and complex characters–medical examiner Sara Linton and her ex-husband, police chief Jeffrey Tolliver–in a heart-pounding tale of faith, doubt, and murder…

The victim was buried alive in the Georgia woods–then killed in a horrifying fashion. When Sara Linton and Jeffrey Tolliver stumble upon the
Audio, 0 pages
Published October 3rd 2006 by Random House Audio (first published 2005)

Jonetta
Aug 26, 2015 Jonetta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jeffrey and Sara are walking through the woods near her home when they stumbled upon a pipe coming up from underneath the ground. What lay beneath was heartbreaking, leading them into an investigation of a family who seems to have plenty of secrets. They're also leaders of a religious lifestyle that appears cult like.

This was a disturbing story that also explores the subject of domestic abuse. The investigation took some interesting turns, even though the field of suspects was narrow. Typical o
Mo
Sep 19, 2015 Mo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was another roller coaster. Sometimes hard to keep track of all the characters.

With each book, Jeffrey and Sara are growing on me. I love that they are not the perfect couple. They argue. Her parents are great too. Lena, I don't know if she will ever have a Happy Ever After.

Some parts of this book were quite heartbreaking. Terri, my heart bled for her.

Off to review the last in the series!!
Donna
Jul 01, 2015 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery
This book by Karin Slaughter might be my favorite one so far. I've read quite a few of her books and even a novella or two. Her books are often heavy on violence towards women. This book also possessed that same thread. But I feel that was balanced by everything else. It didn't feel like the often abused 'shock and awe' trick I dislike. There were a few different threads woven into the plot and I liked that. She also does a great job with her characters. Not only are they well drawn, but they al ...more
Freda Malone
Nov 26, 2015 Freda Malone rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once again, Chief Jeff Tolliver, Sara Linton, and Lena Adams are in the mayhem of a murder. They stumble upon a young girl, buried alive, but she didn't die that way. In the midst of the solve, there is a corporate church family that has secrets that make you cringe and then rage at the senselessness of it all. It'll make your own domestic squabbles look tame in comparison to this family.

For the life of me I can't understand Lena, the cop who has had so many traumatic experiences that she conti
Robert
Dec 01, 2012 Robert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like James Lee Burke, Karin Slaughter delivers novels where the separation between good and bad involves a fine line, and it’s not always easy to see, even if it’s drawn on the pavement in red crayon. The relationship between Sara Linton and Jeffrey Tolliver makes FAITHLESS an entertaining read, and the deft, clever plotting makes it even better. This novel proved a hard one to put down, and despite reading several other novels at the time, I just had to keep reading. Reaching the end, though, w ...more
Marnie
Nov 24, 2015 Marnie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, books-i-own
A few of my friends read this series before me and kind of spoiled the last two books for me - no hard feelings.

Now it just takes me twice as long to finish them as it originally would.

Karin still is one of the most brilliant writers out there!

I think I'll just take a bit of a break before I read the last book of the Grant County series, in the hope that I will forget the spoilers!

Ahmad Ardalan
Nov 28, 2014 Ahmad Ardalan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fast paced thriller set in a small county. For a 500 page mystery, this will engage you from start to finish.
Becky ♡The Bookworm♡
Karin Slaughter writes some of the most powerful and heart-stopping Crime Thrillers out there. This one had me in tears near the end. I'm always hooked from the start and intrigued by the different characters. It amazes me how she weaves the story. One minute I'm furious with a character and the next minute I'm pulling for their happiness! Not many authors can change my mind when I've decided a character is the pits. Slaughter did. She also gives new meaning to the word "villain." These aren't y ...more
Bex
May 30, 2010 Bex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Dr. Sara Linton and Police Chief Jeffrey Tolliver are carrying a lot of emotional baggage. These ex-spouses work together in solving crimes--mostly gory, brutal, unspeakable crimes. The latest is a young girl found buried, presumably, alive. There's a pipe protruding from her burial place which should have provided air, but an autopsy reveals that the young girl who happens to be a member of a religious cult did not suffocate but was killed by cyanide, which was poured down the breathing tube.

F
Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥
4.5 stars - Slaughter never fails to keep me on the edge of my seat, heart racing, turning pages as fast as I can read. Pay attention to details - every word, sentence, paragraph - all should be scrutinized in a Slaughter book, as they all inevitably prove to be important later. And navigate the twists & turns with care...you never know what surprise this author will have waiting on the next page...but you can be sure there will be at least a couple of shockers. Loved it! A Page Burner!
 Marla
Another interesting tale of violence and perversion. This time we examine relationships, adultery, abortion, abuse, drugs and religion.

Likes:
* Sara's Aunt Bella was a flamboyant and informative character
(view spoiler)
Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo
4.5 Stars

In this installment of Karin Slaughter's Grant County Series, Sara Linton and Jeffrey Tolliver are getting closer, though a new threat to their relationship rears its ugly head. As they are coming out the woods near Sara's parents' home, Jeffrey literally stumbles across a body buried in the ground. She was buried alive, then died a horrific death before she was freed.

The girl's identity leads to a co op soy farm and to a very religious family who is somewhat misogynist. Sara is not on
Chris
Jun 12, 2012 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I continue to read more and more of Karin Slaughter’s books and for the most part I really enjoy them. Sadly the last few Grant County books have just been ok and that includes this one. The premise of the book was intriguing, and I had higher expectations since I was not overly impressed with the last one. I figured every writer has their ok book but had hoped that this one would blow me away.

I think what really keeps me coming back to this series is the characters. I really enjoy the ups and
ilovebakedgoods (Teresa)
Another fast-paced good one! One more book in the series to go...
Dotti Elrick
Dec 16, 2014 Dotti Elrick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! Everything that Karin Slaughter writes is amazing. Even though this is the fifth book in her Grant County series, each book can stand alone.

The chief of police, Jeffery Tolliver, and his ex wife, Sara Linton are trying to rekindle their relationship. When an innocent walk around the lake behind their house sends their professional as well as their personal lives spinning. On this walk Jeffery confesses to Sara that he might be sick. Several years earlier he had an affair whic
Amanda
Apr 19, 2011 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite the fact this book is over 500 pages long, I managed to finish it in a single day. There is so much depth in this book, not just in the plot, but in the characters’ lives as well. I like that Karin Slaughter took this beyond the typical “religious cult gone wrong” type of story, which I had been expecting. Instead, she weaved a story that was both surprising and complex. This book could have fallen flat, but it did not. Far from it.

I was glad to see the return of Tessa in this book. She
Angela Risner
Again, it's a small county, but it has SO many problems. I don't know about you, but I grew up in a very small county and we never had this kind of crime. But hey, no one's ever bothered to write a book about it either, so here goes.

How do you punish YOUR kids? Well, someone in Grant County thinks it's great to bury them alive for a few days. Only this time, one of them dies and it's up to Sara and Jeffrey to find out what is going on.

This is the fifth book in the series and any author would be
Felts
Aug 16, 2011 Felts rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery
The 5th book in Slaughter's Grant County series and I can say that I enjoyed this one quite a bit. Probably because this story isn't filled with wasted page upon page of the main characters, Sara and Jeffrey, bickering unnecessarily about how screwed up their relationship is (although the beginning does have a medical scare that Jeffrey brings up having to do with the affair he had 5 years previously, causing me to say "here we go again", but it turns out to be a minor part of the story). Instea ...more
Sara
Sep 06, 2015 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Terri made my cry....
MadProfessah
Feb 05, 2016 MadProfessah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-read
Quite good but not as good as INDELIBLE.
(Probably because Lena plays a bigger role in this than she did in that previous book.)

Slaughter really likes to delve deeply into the psychology of her characters but what she reveals about them is often not very flattering and can be quite disturbing.

The stakes are not as high in this one for
our main characters Sara and Jeffrey. But they are much higher for Lena.

The main mystery is centered around a very religious family who live way out in the boonies
Hilde
Jan 29, 2016 Hilde rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
wat een heerlijk boek weer om te lezen. Spannend tot het einde.
Kayeb
Sep 11, 2009 Kayeb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am enjoying these more as I revisit the characters. So much of the seamier side of life and always the question if the authors give new ideas to crummy people. Truly some of the ways of cruelty have simply never entered my mind and the capacity to come up with these methods is just scary at times! but, Sara and Jeff, and Lena become more compelling folks.

medical examiner Sara Linton and her ex-husband, police chief Jeffrey Tolliver, have propelled her to the top of bestseller lists the world o
Benjamin Solah
I just finished ‘Faithless’ by Karin Slaughter tonight, and I don’t really have a strong feeling of good or bad. There are some good things about this novel and then there are some things that were bad. But funnily enough, this is the first woman writer that I’ve read. I posted about this a while back, and I have to say, contrary to popular belief, the gender of the writer doesn’t stand out much.

‘Faithless’ is set in Slaughter’s imaginary, Grant Country where a grisly murder has been discovered
Michelle Diener
Mar 06, 2013 Michelle Diener rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book I've read in Karin's Slaughter's series about the part time coroner of a small town, Sara Linton, and her chief of police ex-husband, Jeffery. Despite being divorced, they have made up and Jeffery is in the process of moving back in with Sara when the book starts. Out on a walk together, Jeffery trips over a pipe and they discover its a breathing pipe leading down to a coffin where a teenage girl has been buried alive, but despite the breathing tube and food and water bes ...more
Sue
Jeffrey and Sara stumble upon a box buried in the woods with a metal pipe attached. When they unearth the box, they discover a young girl has died after being buried alive in it. Jeffrey is a detective and Sara is the county medical examiner (and a pediatrician). Thus their investigation ensues to determine the identity of the girl, how she ended up in the box and who buried her in the woods. The girl is identified as Abigail Bennett, a member of the Church for the Greater Good (established by h ...more
Lyn (Readinghearts)
Apr 01, 2011 Lyn (Readinghearts) rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lyn (Readinghearts) by: buddy read
Number five in the Grant County series by Karin Slaughter. This one has another thrilling story line. A girl buried alive in the woods, a religious cult, weird wacky characters, more secrets revealed by the main characters, and more problems for Lena. And even more important, less of the Jeffrey/Sara soap opera. I really like this series for the wonderful story lines that the author includes. They have twists and turns, some endearing characters, some that you love to hate, the villains are suff ...more
Jen
Faithless is the fifth book in the Grant County series by Karin Slaughter. And in every book, Slaughter has hooked me at page one. At the conclusion of the novel, I'm not ready to be done. To me, this is evidence of a truly great suspense novel.

Jeffrey and Sara literally stumble across a strange protrusion in the ground at the onset of this novel. That protrusion is some kind of pipe. What they find at the other end of that pipe is a box containing the murdered body of a young woman. As Jeffrey
Sapphire Bates
Aug 19, 2013 Sapphire Bates rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kristin
Dec 10, 2009 Kristin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Patricia Cornwell, Kathy Reichs, other crime fiction writers
Recommended to Kristin by: Mom
Picked up this book at a whim merely because we'd gone to the beach but the water was too cold for swimming and my Mom had just finished reading it so it was in the tote we take to the beach. Despite my mom's recent passion for sappy romances, there are only a couple scenes of romance between Jeff and Sara in the book.
I think what appealed to me, beyond just the doctor/cop couple, was that this book feels very contemporary given the number of religious cults that have been in the news in recent
Kirsti (Melbourne on my mind)
Plot summary: While walking in the woods, police chief Jeffrey Tolliver and medical examiner Sara Linton discover the body of a young girl buried in a wooden box. The investigation uncovers a series of horrifying secrets that will shake one family to its core.

Thoughts: I liked it, but I didn't find it quite as gripping is some of Slaughter's other books. It was quite interrogation-heavy, rather than action-heavy. There's more unexpected trouble in Jeffrey and Sara's relationship, and Lena (who I
USA Geography Cha...: Faithless by Karin Slaughter 1 5 Dec 29, 2014 12:38AM
  • I Can See You (Romantic Suspense, #10)
  • Exposed (Maggie O'Dell, #6)
  • The Darker Side (Smoky Barret, #3)
  • The Cold Room (Taylor Jackson, #4)
  • Last Witness (C.J. Townsend #2)
  • The Rosary Girls (Jessica Balzano & Kevin Byrne, #1)
  • Dead Run (Monkeewrench #3)
Karin Slaughter is the New York Times and #1 internationally bestselling author of fifteen thrillers, including UNSEEN, CRIMINAL, FALLEN, BROKEN, UNDONE, FRACTURED, BEYOND REACH, TRIPTYCH, FAITHLESS, COP TOWN, and the e-original short stories “Snatched” and “Busted.”

Slaughter was born in a small southern Georgia community, and now resides in Atlanta. She is widely credited with first coining the
More about Karin Slaughter...

Grant County (6 books)
  • Blindsighted (Grant County, #1)
  • Kisscut (Grant County, #2)
  • A Faint Cold Fear (Grant County, #3)
  • Indelible (Grant County, #4)
  • Beyond Reach (Grant County, #6)