Start by marking “Eureka: Brain Box Blues: Brain Box Blues” as Want to Read:
Eureka: Brain Box Blues: Brain Box Blues

Eureka: Brain Box Blues: Brain Box Blues (Eureka #2)

Even the brightest of Eureka's residents can't read someone else's mind. Then Global Dynamics develops the Brain Box: a device capable of capturing and storing human thoughts. When the Box starts messing with people's minds, Sheriff Jack Carter will have to keep his thoughts to himself if he's going to save the town from going out of their heads.
Published November 30th 2010 by Ace Books (first published October 28th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Eureka, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eureka

This was ok if you're a fan of the show. If not, it is written for a 4th grader and does not do much character development.
Adam Friedman
Adam Friedman rated it liked it
Apr 03, 2011
Joel Neff
Joel Neff rated it liked it
Mar 04, 2011
Brittany Knapp
Brittany Knapp rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2011
Aug 28, 2011 Trevor rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a pretty big fan of the Eureka TV show on Syfy so I thought I'd check out Cris Ramsay's tie-in novel Brain Box Blues. The premise was promising, very similar to what one might find in a two-part episode of the TV show.

The story revolves around a device called the Brain Box which can extract the final thoughts/feelings from a corpse. Naturally, the General is involved in the project and forces Global Dynamics to use the Brain Box on a man (presumed to be a spy).

I'll start with the good. Cris
I think I might have liked this book better if it wasn't billed as a Eureka book. Because it revolved around my beloved Eureka characters, I expected a little more banter and humor. There was little of either. There was, however, several character missteps which took me right out of the story. For instance, Henry taking over in a medical emergency when Allison was standing right there, and we all know Allison has the medical background.

From a science fiction standpoint, the story wasn't bad. It
Well written and compliments the series well. Would have liked more character detail but was great regardless.
Andrew rated it liked it
May 26, 2012
Jeanne Boyarsky
Jul 01, 2011 Jeanne Boyarsky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Iris rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2011
Evan Kooyer
Evan Kooyer rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2012
Anastasia rated it liked it
Aug 25, 2013
Sarah Worsick
Sarah Worsick rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2012
Michael O'Donnell
Feb 01, 2012 Michael O'Donnell rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Poorly written. Lame plot. Science that did not gel. A waste of paper, ink and my time. I suppose folk who had followed the series and new some background might something in it....but I doubt it.
G. rated it liked it
Apr 05, 2012
Sondra Kates
Sondra Kates rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2012

I went into this book knowing that it wouldn't be near as good as the show so with low expectations I wasn't disappointed by what it had to offer. In this one things got a little too fringe science with elements of things that felt more like they belonged in a paranormal book than in an (admittedly loose) science fiction one. The mystery surrounding the Brain Box was interesting in an overly involved, got bored somewhere in the middle, kind of way but it was enjoyable enough as something to las
Jessica Hollo
I read a few reviews of this, and was somewhat leery, but I decides to give it a try anyway, becuase it was Eureka.
The reviews were pretty much correct. The plot itself was interesting, morally gave you a bit to think about. But that is not what Eureak is all about. Its about the play of characters and the banter, which I found lacking.
I am glad, given that the series is ending, that there are books to carry on. But it gets confusing with the changes in the show.
May try to read more anyway.

Not very impressive. It was ok. I read along with the show and that was alright but on the whole it was unsurprising, unexciting, and pretty boring to read.
Oct 31, 2012 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
The brain box starts messing with people's minds. Carter must once again save the day. I enjoyed this quite a bit.
Jamie rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2012
Kiera rated it liked it
Oct 01, 2015
Jennifer Priester
Jennifer Priester rated it liked it
Jul 19, 2013
Mel rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2013
Robin rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2014
Legalized fanfiction, and has the average quality level. The cover is also freaky and I have no idea what is up with that. Still , the mystery was pretty good even though I could predict what was going to happen. Good for a light read.
Kelly rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2016
Grant Polachek
Sep 08, 2016 Grant Polachek rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-humor
I love this TV show. The second book in the Eureka series is great. It starts a little slow, but once moving, the mystery is exciting and fun.
Sarah Crawford
Jan 20, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story is based on what happened in an actual episode when people were supposed to put their favorite memory of Eureka into a sphere. In this case, though, the military has a box that can capture all of a person's memories, even if they just recently died. They have the memories from someone and they want Eureka to find a way to make those memories useful. Meanwhile, Fargo, Zoe and others are doing experiments involving remote viewing.
The find out Jo had taken part in a military project invo
Virginia Rand
May 30, 2016 Virginia Rand rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tv-tie-ins
Cris Ramsey, you got psychics in my science fiction. I mean, the show could stretch credulity sometimes, but astral projection? No.

I might have been able to forgive that if the characters felt in character or all the background was accurate, but someone should have pointed him towards the wiki, maybe? No continuity people involved?

I wanted to like this book. I really did.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Warehouse 13: A Touch of Fever
  • Primeval: Fire and Water (Primeval, #8)
  • Primeval: The Lost Island (Primeval, #6)
  • Primeval: Extinction Event
  • A Fatal Frame of Mind (Psych, #4)
  • Primeval: Shadow of the Jaguar (Primeval, #5)
  • The Burning Man (Fringe, #2)
  • Jump Cut (Criminal Minds, #1)
  • Stargate Atlantis: Reliquary (Stargate Atlantis, #2)
  • Mr. Monk is Cleaned Out (Mr. Monk, #10)
  • Heroes: Saving Charlie
  • Further: Beyond the Threshold
  • Spike: Asylum
  • Skin (The X-Files)
  • The Best of Tales: Volume One (Dragonlance Anthology)
  • The Prince of Darkness (Hugh Corbett, #5)
Cris Ramsay is the house name for Aaron S. Rosenberg, an American novelist and game designer.

Originally from New Jersey and New York, Mr. Rosenberg returned to New York City in 1996 after stints in New Orleans and Kansas. He has taught college-level English and worked in corporate graphics and book publishing. Mr. Rosenberg lives in New York City with his family.
More about Cris Ramsay...

Eureka (3 books)
  • Eureka: Substitution Method (Eureka, #1)
  • Eureka: Road Less Traveled (Eureka, #3)