Start by marking “Fowlers End” as Want to Read:
Fowlers End

Fowlers End

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  48 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Fowler's End is a bustling, ram-shackle community where bathtubs are considered effete. Daniel Laverock comes to the neighbourhood in search of employment. Thanks to his horrifying countenance, he wins a job as manager of a movie house owned by the vicious tyrant Sam Yudenow.
Hardcover
Published 1957 by Simon and Schuster

To ask other readers questions about Fowlers End, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fowlers End

Nigeyb
Fowlers End is in London's outer suburbia and is quite possibly one of the most hellish places imaginable (geographically in the Edmonton/Ponders End area): a steel tube factory, a glass factory, the smokiest railway terminal in London, and a hideous chemical plant. It is in Fowlers End that Sam Yudenow, the proprietor of the Pantheon cinema, employs Daniel Laverock who, despite a ferocious appearance, is an educated middle class family failure, to manage the place.

The story is told from Daniel
Aamil Syed
I took this book up on a whim and I'm really glad that I did. This is my first Gerald Kersh book and I can safely say that it won't be my last. After a few pages of struggle to get used to the Cockneye slang and the manner of speaking of the natives of Fowler's End, this book was a good roller coaster ride; some introspection interspersed with the antics of some really weird characters that bring a lot of color to the story and add that dash of British humor that the I so like.

The story is about
Chris
A strange, smart, fun and overly-long book. While not among Kersh's best, it still radiates real human heat and light, it still sparkles with keen wit and detail. While definitely from Kersh's later period (1957), Fowler's End seems to be in the transition period - before he went into stranger and more speculative territory, yet long after he ever had a chance to be a major literary star with his realistic war novels (which were great). His obscurity is because his subject matter is gritty, rob ...more
notgettingenough
A great twentieth century writer and this is probably his best. Why he is out of favour is beyond me. Anthony Burgess said Fowler's End was "One of the best comic novels of the century, with Sam Yudenow as superb a creation (almost) as Falstaff."

The novel opens with Yudenow:

Snoring for air while he sipped and gulped at himself, talking between hastily swallowed mouthfuls of himself, fidgeting with a little blue bottle and a red rubber nose-dropper, Mr Yudenow said to me -

Well, if you want to fin
Jim Butler
Mar 02, 2008 Jim Butler rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jim by: Lola Weitzman
A young friend who worked for Simon & Schuster (we were all young in those days) gave me an advance copy of this book and urged me to read it. I've been recommending it (and rereading it) ever since.
Gert-Jan Kramer
British humour at its irreverent best, with more than a touch of the burlesque and a slice of the seamy side of life in a run-down area of London during the Great Depression. Thank Gawd for Sam Yudenow, owner of the Pantheon, who keeps the poor scum of Fowlers End entertained with his silent cinema, and readers with his oft-hilarious ramblings about how to keep his "show biz empire" up and running.

At times it did feel a bit too silly for its own good, but an enjoyable read that kept me smiling a
Kyle
Lots of Cockney rhyming slang.
Kirk Marshall
Kirk Marshall marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Sam Marsh
Sam Marsh marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Terrilynn
Terrilynn marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Deb
Deb marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Terri UK
Terri UK marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Ben Ostrander
Ben Ostrander marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Stephanie Blackwood
Stephanie Blackwood marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Domagoj Čavrak
Domagoj Čavrak marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Ron Wilgosh
Ron Wilgosh is currently reading it
Sep 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Gerald Kersh was born in Teddington-on-Thames, near London, and, like so many writers, quit school to take on a series of jobs -- salesman, baker, fish-and-chips cook, nightclub bouncer, freelance newspaper reporter and at the same time was writing his first two novels.

In 1937, his third published novel, Night and the City, hurled him into the front ranks of young British writers. Twenty novels la
More about Gerald Kersh...
Night and the City Nightshade & Damnations Men Without Bones Prelude to a Certain Midnight On an Odd Note

“ Yudenow was a controlled panic of self-preservation on two uncertain legs; abject slave to a mad desire for what beasts know as blind survival.
A comical beast, I thought, but asked myself, 'Why prolong mere living for its own sake?' The question answered itself: 'Because a beast is blind.' In Yudenow's case, he was animated by nothing but a terror of Nothing, a horror of ceasing to be; by a hopeless desire to evade consequence and issue, parry cause and duck effect. But he had - and you can read it in the faces of defeated fighters, doglike to the verge of tears in the outer offices - the hope-against-hope that, by fiddling and scraping against all the odds of the world, his ringcraft might outmaneuver the inevitable.
And do you know what? There is the Spirit of Man in this - good, bad, or indifferent, a certain heroism.”
1 likes