Start by marking “Bless Your Heart: Saving the World One Covered Dish at a Time” as Want to Read:
Bless Your Heart: Saving the World One Covered Dish at a Time

Bless Your Heart: Saving the World One Covered Dish at a Time

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  47 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
What would the South be without deviled eggs at the church potluck? Can you even begin to imagine a family reunion where nobody remembered to make the baked beans and sweet tea? Is it possible to celebrate a major holiday without crunchy sweet potato casserole on the buffet table? Patsy Caldwell and Amy Lyles Wilson don t think so, either. Indeed, every occasion in the Sou ...more
Published November 9th 2010 by Thomas Nelson Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Bless Your Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bless Your Heart

Rose Ann
This is kind of a cute cookbook, because of the personal stories that start off each section of the book. But it read more like a badly-done church cookbook when it came to the actual recipes -- lots of canned soups and canned veg, etc. Plus -- the cover features a nummy-looking mac & cheese dish -- but I couldn't tell which recipe it was! I would suggest, if you want to look at this book, check it out from the lbrary, but don't buy it.

Oh one more thing -- there's a really good AND EASY rec
Anna Zollinger
Of all the "Southern Cookbooks" that I own, this one has ultimately turned out to be my least favorite.

The anecdotes were interesting enough and added a nice personal touch to the book. The recipes, however, were a let down. Some are certainly classics and I will keep it around for a few of the recipes in it... But ultimately I do have to agree with one reviewer on GoodReads who said that it reads"more like a badly-done church cookbook when it came to the actual recipes".

The formatting is also
Cheri
Sep 04, 2013 Cheri rated it really liked it
Technically, Glenda bought this for me for my birthday (she gave me an Amazon gift card and I spent some on this book). Everyone knows my deep, dark secret about cookbooks (if you don't, "bless your heart"). I have to admit the recipes in this one look easy to make and familiar to most Southerners (although I have to say, I've never heard of "barbequed bologna"--just ew...). There were two reasons that I couldn't give it five stars. One was that several of the iced tea recipes used instant tea ( ...more
Jenny
Mar 01, 2014 Jenny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny little stories and I probably gained ten pounds from just reading this one. I'd wished that the book relied less and canned goods and more on fresh flavors, but certainly reminded me of my very southern grandmother.
Jessica
Feb 22, 2015 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookery
Born and bred in Tennessee, the recipes and stories herein could very well be mine. This cookbook is like a hug from a friend.

I enjoy the simplicity of the recipes. Food shouldn't be fussed over--just enjoyed. Despite many of the recipes being old favorites many of them are great variations that I will enjoy trying. Still think you need sweet pickle juice in the deviled eggs. ;-)

This is a great introduction to southern cooking without the celebrity chef in the way.
Grace
I gained weight just LOOKING at it. Wonderful memories with the recipes! Browsing only.
Ally
Oct 22, 2011 Ally rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a sweet & hilarious read with amazing recipes!
Diane
Jul 19, 2012 Diane rated it really liked it

Some really great southern recipes!
Debbie
Debbie marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Alissa
Alissa marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Diana
Diana rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2015
Angela Higinbotham
Angela Higinbotham marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2015
Amy Jackson
Amy Jackson rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2015
Sandra L Bowers
Sandra L Bowers rated it it was amazing
Sep 01, 2015
Lindsey
Lindsey marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2015
Phyla
Phyla added it
Jun 18, 2015
Jacquie
Jacquie rated it it was ok
Jun 11, 2015
Holly Brown
Holly Brown marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Brent
Brent rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2015
Sara Jane Dixon
Sara Jane Dixon rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2015
Athena
Athena rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2015
Linda Conway
Linda Conway rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2015
Apryl
Apryl rated it liked it
Mar 11, 2015
elin
elin rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2015
Millie
Millie marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Sandy (WI girl at heart)
Sandy (WI girl at heart) marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Pamela
Pamela marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015