Start by marking “BookRags Summary: A Storm of Swords” as Want to Read:
BookRags Summary:  A Storm of Swords

BookRags Summary: A Storm of Swords

4.59  ·  Rating Details ·  17,986 Ratings  ·  92 Reviews
This study guide includes the following sections: Plot Summary, Chapter Summaries & Analysis, Characters, Objects/Places, Themes, Style, Quotes, and Topics for Discussion.

A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin is a fantasy novel, the third in the series, preceded by A Clash of Kings. It begins in the final months of the year 299 in the land of the Seven Kingdoms and c
Published November 10th 2010 by Amazon Digital Services

Amanda
Apr 07, 2014 Amanda rated it did not like it
Take this stupid study guide pile of crap off my goodreads shelf you jerkoff of a shitty poop iPad app! Shhhhhhiiiiiitttt.
Diana Watt
Jun 23, 2012 Diana Watt rated it it was amazing
Interesting reading other reviews of this series, I get peoples disapointment at the loss of some of the charactors and that the scope of the books can bog you down a little (though I really have only noticed that books four and five) I like the world George Martin has created, it is a rich tapestry - having said that I hope it is all resolved and tied neatly up by book 8 it seems to be unravelling a bit in book 5 - he still has three to write. Wish list of things I would like to see - Cersei ...more
Kevin
May 24, 2014 Kevin rated it did not like it
This is for the Summary Study Guide, which I am not interested in at all.

Keeps showing up in my Recommendations shelf. I click "Not Interested". It comes back. What kind of loophole was used for this book to show up repeatedly? Go away.

Edited: May 24, 2014

I may have inadvertently found a solution. My 1 Star rating seems to have bumped this book from the Recommendation area into the rated area.
Scott Bartlett
Feb 08, 2013 Scott Bartlett rated it it was amazing
This book sucker punches you repeatedly and leaves you gasping for the next one.

I don't want to give anything away (I feel that would be an especially heinous crime with this story), but I will say that even if you've anticipated a plot twist, it will happen in such a way, and at such a time, that it'll still knock you back on your ass.

I gained a new respect, too, for how adept Martin is at playing on one's emotions. At various points throughout the story I felt excited, shocked, hopeless, empow
Katie O'Rourke
Aug 16, 2013 Katie O'Rourke rated it it was amazing

Okay, so I never read fantasy. Like, never. I mean, I read The Hobbit in the sixth grade because it was required. Since then, nothing. As you know if you've read the reviews on this blog, I gravitate toward relatable, character-driven, contemporary fiction.

But I got hooked on the HBO series for Game of Thrones. I watched the first two seasons on Netflix and then I suffered through the Facebook updates of people watching the third season. But I don't have HBO. So I decided to read the third book
Brad
Mar 16, 2013 Brad rated it it was amazing
A Storm of Swords is not only the most eventful and enticing book in the entire Ice and Fire Saga, but may also be one of the most well-written and interesting plots ever written. No one can envoke such empathy or hatred for their characters like Martin. No one can describe the breath-taking views of Westeros like Martin either. Each of his characters are interesting and unique, and continually develop throughout the series. I won't spoil anything since the greatest part about the plot twists is ...more
M S
Aug 06, 2012 M S rated it it was amazing
Dense and intense, this installment of Martin's Song of Fire and Ice magnum opus essentially progresses the stories of Jon Snow, Tyrion Lannister, Arya, Sansa, Bran, Caitlin and Robb Stark by kicking everything casual readers would typically expect and brutalizing it beyond recognition. This is an exaggeration, mostly (certainly not in the cases of Robb and Caitlin) but there are several gut punchers that seem to leave all the families' fortunes hanging perilously over the edge of the Wall ...more
Amy
Apr 14, 2012 Amy rated it liked it
I have trouble reading this series because I tend to get attached to characters in stories. This series is told in sequence from different characters' points of view, and some of them meet their ends part way through. This series in no way compares to the Master Tolkien. There are plenty of fights, and i think it must be better in visual form, such as the HBO series, which I haven't seen. There is very rarely anything happy in the books. I think that begins to drag me down after awhile, and i ...more
Jon Freeman
A tour de force of fantasy fiction, realistic characters that stride across a medieval landscape that has more reality than many a historical novel. The tale has a huge cast of characters and has many twists and turns. Seldom have I enjoyed a fantasy more it left me hungry for the sequel. A great read!
Anthony
Feb 04, 2011 Anthony rated it it was amazing
I don't know how I just "discovered" George R.R. Martin but this is the best fantasy I've read since Tolkien. His novels are very ambitious in scope and the characters are engaging enough to carry you through the different books and still be interested in their respective stories.
Robert Delikat
Jun 14, 2012 Robert Delikat rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This review contains comments on Books 3 and 4 of the Ice and FIre series.

Dear Ice and Fire Junkie

The popularity of the HBO series, Game of Thrones has enticed many folks to pick up and start plowing through the entire series of tomes from which the TV shows derive their inspiration. And, once you’re sucked in, it’s pretty much like quicksand. The brilliant acting of most, if not all, of the characters along with the masterful writing of their roles and place in this Tolkienesque saga makes us e
V
Jul 10, 2012 V rated it it was amazing
First off, I just realized this is actually the guide rather than the book, but it appears most other reviewers made the same mistake. (Well, with the same cover picture..) Whatevs, I already did the update thing and I doubt that's transferable.

Now, as for the actual novel, I both loved it more than the previous books in the series and dreaded rereading it. (view spoiler)
Chris Taaffe
Nov 19, 2012 Chris Taaffe rated it it was amazing

Ok I didn't realize this was the GUIDE to the book. Seems most others made the same mistake. I figure out how to delete this and change to the actual book. So I'll just do my review here because who really cares?

Well I loved this book! Clash of Kings I felt started out too slowly, but Storm of Swords was exciting all the way through. I found myself saying "Holy Crap!" At the end of what seemed like every chapter. There were very few dull points and I found myself interested in each characters
John
Apr 01, 2013 John rated it it was amazing
As it stands here in January 2013, this was the last 'great' book G.R.R.M wrote. and I use that in the true sense of the word where these first three novels in ASOIAF truly were books that strode as if giants among the other lesser novels.

Read the first three in this series, climaxing with this book they were innovative, well wirtten and tightly plotted. they changed the fantasy genre (probably for the better) and remain one of the best investments in time you can make.

It is just a shame books 4
Melissa
Aug 13, 2012 Melissa rated it it was amazing
I just finished this book and it was filled with Martin's classic twist and turns and unbelievable surprises. But as with all his works, I felt that he could've accomplished the same in about 300 pages less than he did. Even though his writing is verbose and overly full of description, and could use to be streamlined, I enjoyed the book immensely. I look forward to reading the next in the series when I have another week of my life to surrender to his world.
Scott Moon
May 15, 2012 Scott Moon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Most of my early reading was in the fantasy genre, but by the time I finished college I was losing enthusiasm for fantasy. Everything was the same. I began a Patrick O'Brian binge. Then I discovered Bernard Cornwell, Ken Follet (The Pillars of Earth), and others. I happened upon a library audio book of The Game of Thrones and became enthralled with the story, character, and low-magic fantasy of George RR Martin. Now I have them on Audio book and Kindle and am on my second read.
Annie Jones
Jul 27, 2013 Annie Jones rated it did not like it
Sorry - I didn't read this. I am trigger finger happy and clicked the wrong book. I am reading the George R R Martin in full - not the review. I can't find out how to delete a currently reading book when I've tagged the wrong one. The rating here does not count as I haven't read it but couldn't change my currently reading any other way.
Julie Pryce
Oct 07, 2012 Julie Pryce rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. The author seemed to back off of some of the endless description of the countless Lords and Ladies , which for me gets tiresome. There was a lot of good plot twists that left my jaw on the floor. I'm about 1/2 thru the 4th book right now and this book is by far better than the next.
Rodrigo Pérez
Jun 25, 2012 Rodrigo Pérez rated it liked it
Mismo estilo de las novelas anteriores. Interesante y cautivador, aunque después de 3.000 páginas empieza a resultar un poco monótono y aburrido. Esta en particular es bastante sangrienta, pero vcreo que continuare con las dos siguientes. A veces uno desea que el autor se hubiera dedicadoa dedicado a cualquier otra actividad en vez de a escribir novelas.
Malay Harsh
Dec 28, 2014 Malay Harsh rated it it was amazing
The Book went very swift and sharp. Did not dwindle a second more unlike the previous two books that took a 150 pages for the plot to build up. The author is a brilliant story teller .. need I say more!! Brilliant work in High Fantasy!
Mike Good
Sep 30, 2012 Mike Good rated it really liked it
George R. R. Martin writes. He is god with a little g in his universe, and although he relies too much on foreshadowing for my taste, it is more of a challenge to put his books down than to pick them up.
Naomi
May 30, 2013 Naomi rated it it was amazing
I have read books 1 through 5 of George R. R. Martin's series. I am anxiously awaiting the book 6. Usually 500 page book is my limit but with this series of 800+ page books, I can read on and on and want more.
Fiona
Mar 14, 2014 Fiona rated it liked it
Oh jeez - this is one of the longest most boring.....
get an editor!
So sad that some of my favourite characters have become whiny and annoying.
Don't think I'll be going on with this series...
I admit defeat.
Jill
Apr 30, 2013 Jill rated it it was amazing
Best one of the series so far, can't wait to see the show now that I know who's who and what's going on. There are a few characters that I tend to skim through their parts (Arya), but love how this book keeps me guessing.
Kyle
Aug 29, 2012 Kyle added it
Excellent book. Continues the stories of Jaime Lannister and Brienne, Arya, Rob Stark while also exploring the character of Roose Bolton. One of my favorites of the series. Possibly the favorite though it faces staunch competition with A Game of Thrones and Dance with Dragons.
Winter O'kelley
Oct 07, 2012 Winter O'kelley rated it really liked it
This one I've had to sit down about 1/3 of the way through the book. The lulls are painful despite how wonderful the story develops in the end. I have too many projects going on at the moment, but as usual George R.R. Martin does not fail to deliver.
Saad
Oct 30, 2012 Saad rated it it was amazing
An excellent book. The character development is simply awesome. You think you know them, but they can change within a heart-beat. Martin has taken full advantage of his story-telling gift and ends each chapter in a cliffhanger. A feat taht can be likened to Scheherazade's. 3 thumbs up!
Isabel
May 30, 2013 Isabel rated it it was amazing
1177 pages.

I really like this series, and this book was really entertaining and hard to put down. I like how the author tells the story through multiple character's point of view, and I like how each character has their own story. This series is entertaining and tells a good story.
Cameron
Apr 05, 2013 Cameron rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Being able to see things from so many different perspectives keeps you entertained throughout. There are so many unexpected twists, you are always on the edge of your seat just waiting to find out what craziness will happen next. Can't wait to start the next one!
Amanda
Jan 26, 2013 Amanda added it
This whole book and series is amazing!!!

All I want to say is that the last page of chapter 80 JUST BLEW MY MIND!!! By no means do things get settled in this book but you start to see the strings get knotted and where they will lay on the end. I will probably start the next book tonight...
  • The Art of George R.R. Martin's a Song of Ice and Fire
  • A Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel, Vol. 1
  • A Game of Thrones: The Book of Ice and Fire RPG rulebook
  • A Game of Thrones: Comic Book, Issue 2
  • The Wheel of Time: Boxed Set #1 (Wheel of Time, #1-3)
  • Works by George R. R. Martin (Book Guide): Books by George R. R. Martin, Novels by George R. R. Martin, Short Stories by George R. R. Martin
  • The Farseer Trilogy (Farseer Trilogy #1-3)
  • Steelhands (Havemercy, #4)
  • The Mezentian Gate
  • The Golden Sword (Branion, #4)
  • The Sword of Truth Boxed Set II: Temple of the Winds; Soul of the Fire; Faith of the Fallen (Sword of Truth, #4-6)
  • The Night Angel Trilogy (Night Angel, #1-3)
  • Figures of Earth