Start by marking “BookRags Summary: A Storm of Swords” as Want to Read:
BookRags Summary:  A Storm of Swords

BookRags Summary: A Storm of Swords

4.61 of 5 stars 4.61  ·  rating details  ·  15,037 ratings  ·  96 reviews
This study guide includes the following sections: Plot Summary, Chapter Summaries & Analysis, Characters, Objects/Places, Themes, Style, Quotes, and Topics for Discussion.

A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin is a fantasy novel, the third in the series, preceded by A Clash of Kings. It begins in the final months of the year 299 in the land of the Seven Kingdoms and c...more
Published November 10th 2010 by Amazon Digital Services

To ask other readers questions about BookRags Summary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about BookRags Summary

A Clash of Kings by George R.R. MartinBookRags Summary by BookRagsThe Horse and His Boy by C.S. LewisTwisted Fairy Tales by Maura McHughHotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford
100 Books for this year
2nd out of 63 books — 4 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsI Am Half-Sick of Shadows by Alan BradleyThe Help by Kathryn StockettMockingjay by Suzanne Collins
Books I Read in 2012
84th out of 503 books — 48 voters

More lists with this book...

Brian
Mar 24, 2014 Brian added it
Won't come off my recommendations. Didn't read. Already read book don't need some friggin summary.
Diana Watt
Interesting reading other reviews of this series, I get peoples disapointment at the loss of some of the charactors and that the scope of the books can bog you down a little (though I really have only noticed that books four and five) I like the world George Martin has created, it is a rich tapestry - having said that I hope it is all resolved and tied neatly up by book 8 it seems to be unravelling a bit in book 5 - he still has three to write. Wish list of things I would like to see - Cersei La...more
Arve Kvaloy
This keep popping up..im not interested
Amanda
Take this stupid study guide pile of crap off my goodreads shelf you jerkoff of a shitty poop iPad app! Shhhhhhiiiiiitttt.
Scott Bartlett
This book sucker punches you repeatedly and leaves you gasping for the next one.

I don't want to give anything away (I feel that would be an especially heinous crime with this story), but I will say that even if you've anticipated a plot twist, it will happen in such a way, and at such a time, that it'll still knock you back on your ass.

I gained a new respect, too, for how adept Martin is at playing on one's emotions. At various points throughout the story I felt excited, shocked, hopeless, empow...more
Kevin
This is for the Summary Study Guide, which I am not interested in at all.

Keeps showing up in my Recommendations shelf. I click "Not Interested". It comes back. What kind of loophole was used for this book to show up repeatedly? Go away.

Edited: May 24, 2014

I may have inadvertently found a solution. My 1 Star rating seems to have bumped this book from the Recommendation area into the rated area.
Katie O'Rourke

Okay, so I never read fantasy. Like, never. I mean, I read The Hobbit in the sixth grade because it was required. Since then, nothing. As you know if you've read the reviews on this blog, I gravitate toward relatable, character-driven, contemporary fiction.

But I got hooked on the HBO series for Game of Thrones. I watched the first two seasons on Netflix and then I suffered through the Facebook updates of people watching the third season. But I don't have HBO. So I decided to read the third book...more
Brad
A Storm of Swords is not only the most eventful and enticing book in the entire Ice and Fire Saga, but may also be one of the most well-written and interesting plots ever written. No one can envoke such empathy or hatred for their characters like Martin. No one can describe the breath-taking views of Westeros like Martin either. Each of his characters are interesting and unique, and continually develop throughout the series. I won't spoil anything since the greatest part about the plot twists is...more
M S
Dense and intense, this installment of Martin's Song of Fire and Ice magnum opus essentially progresses the stories of Jon Snow, Tyrion Lannister, Arya, Sansa, Bran, Caitlin and Robb Stark by kicking everything casual readers would typically expect and brutalizing it beyond recognition. This is an exaggeration, mostly (certainly not in the cases of Robb and Caitlin) but there are several gut punchers that seem to leave all the families' fortunes hanging perilously over the edge of the Wall itsel...more
Amy
I have trouble reading this series because I tend to get attached to characters in stories. This series is told in sequence from different characters' points of view, and some of them meet their ends part way through. This series in no way compares to the Master Tolkien. There are plenty of fights, and i think it must be better in visual form, such as the HBO series, which I haven't seen. There is very rarely anything happy in the books. I think that begins to drag me down after awhile, and i fi...more
Jon Freeman
A tour de force of fantasy fiction, realistic characters that stride across a medieval landscape that has more reality than many a historical novel. The tale has a huge cast of characters and has many twists and turns. Seldom have I enjoyed a fantasy more it left me hungry for the sequel. A great read!
Anthony
I don't know how I just "discovered" George R.R. Martin but this is the best fantasy I've read since Tolkien. His novels are very ambitious in scope and the characters are engaging enough to carry you through the different books and still be interested in their respective stories.
Isabel
1177 pages.

I really like this series, and this book was really entertaining and hard to put down. I like how the author tells the story through multiple character's point of view, and I like how each character has their own story. This series is entertaining and tells a good story.
John Hansen
The problem with being a slow reader is that even when you get into a series you love, an 1100 page mass market paperback can be a month long slog.

A friend gifted me the first two books in George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire fantasy series, also known as Game of Thrones thanks to HBO, obviously. I devoured the first two over the summer and ended up getting the third just to see if life gets any better for the Stark family.

To paraphrase the late, lamented Ned Stark, brace yourselves. It do...more
Robert Delikat
This review contains comments on Books 3 and 4 of the Ice and FIre series.

Dear Ice and Fire Junkie

The popularity of the HBO series, Game of Thrones has enticed many folks to pick up and start plowing through the entire series of tomes from which the TV shows derive their inspiration. And, once you’re sucked in, it’s pretty much like quicksand. The brilliant acting of most, if not all, of the characters along with the masterful writing of their roles and place in this Tolkienesque saga makes us e...more
V
First off, I just realized this is actually the guide rather than the book, but it appears most other reviewers made the same mistake. (Well, with the same cover picture..) Whatevs, I already did the update thing and I doubt that's transferable.

Now, as for the actual novel, I both loved it more than the previous books in the series and dreaded rereading it. (view spoiler)...more
Chris Taaffe

Ok I didn't realize this was the GUIDE to the book. Seems most others made the same mistake. I figure out how to delete this and change to the actual book. So I'll just do my review here because who really cares?

Well I loved this book! Clash of Kings I felt started out too slowly, but Storm of Swords was exciting all the way through. I found myself saying "Holy Crap!" At the end of what seemed like every chapter. There were very few dull points and I found myself interested in each characters...more
Malay Harsh
The Book went very swift and sharp. Did not dwindle a second more unlike the previous two books that took a 150 pages for the plot to build up. The author is a brilliant story teller .. need I say more!! Brilliant work in High Fantasy!
Max Milstein
After loving the first two Song of Ice and Fire books, Storm of Swords was the one where I started to feel the writing was getting tired. The world felt a little less organic all of a sudden, and the plot twists started to feel like they were happening just to have plot twists. I love the series, love the world, and will see it through to the end, but I was very excited to start reading this book, and mildly apprehensive to star the next.

The Best Part: The Length. As much as I disliked parts of...more
John
As it stands here in January 2013, this was the last 'great' book G.R.R.M wrote. and I use that in the true sense of the word where these first three novels in ASOIAF truly were books that strode as if giants among the other lesser novels.

Read the first three in this series, climaxing with this book they were innovative, well wirtten and tightly plotted. they changed the fantasy genre (probably for the better) and remain one of the best investments in time you can make.

It is just a shame books 4...more
Kevin Fitch
My only fear is that he dies before he's finished. I've read each book in the series multiple times. It is the best fantasy science fiction book/series EVER WRITTEN.
Marcos Baião
Um dos melhores livros da série. Fantástico.
Yvonne
Great read! I couldn't put it down!
Data
Jun 02, 2014 Data added it
khjk
Scott Moon
Most of my early reading was in the fantasy genre, but by the time I finished college I was losing enthusiasm for fantasy. Everything was the same. I began a Patrick O'Brian binge. Then I discovered Bernard Cornwell, Ken Follet (The Pillars of Earth), and others. I happened upon a library audio book of The Game of Thrones and became enthralled with the story, character, and low-magic fantasy of George RR Martin. Now I have them on Audio book and Kindle and am on my second read.
Melissa
I just finished this book and it was filled with Martin's classic twist and turns and unbelievable surprises. But as with all his works, I felt that he could've accomplished the same in about 300 pages less than he did. Even though his writing is verbose and overly full of description, and could use to be streamlined, I enjoyed the book immensely. I look forward to reading the next in the series when I have another week of my life to surrender to his world.
Rodrigo Pérez
Mismo estilo de las novelas anteriores. Interesante y cautivador, aunque después de 3.000 páginas empieza a resultar un poco monótono y aburrido. Esta en particular es bastante sangrienta, pero vcreo que continuare con las dos siguientes. A veces uno desea que el autor se hubiera dedicadoa dedicado a cualquier otra actividad en vez de a escribir novelas.
Annie Jones
Sorry - I didn't read this. I am trigger finger happy and clicked the wrong book. I am reading the George R R Martin in full - not the review. I can't find out how to delete a currently reading book when I've tagged the wrong one. The rating here does not count as I haven't read it but couldn't change my currently reading any other way.
Julie Pryce
Loved this book. The author seemed to back off of some of the endless description of the countless Lords and Ladies , which for me gets tiresome. There was a lot of good plot twists that left my jaw on the floor. I'm about 1/2 thru the 4th book right now and this book is by far better than the next.
Amanda
Jan 26, 2013 Amanda added it
This whole book and series is amazing!!!

All I want to say is that the last page of chapter 80 JUST BLEW MY MIND!!! By no means do things get settled in this book but you start to see the strings get knotted and where they will lay on the end. I will probably start the next book tonight...
  • A Song of Ice and Fire #1-4: A Game of Thrones/A Clash of Kings/A Storm of Swords/A Feast for Crows
  • A Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel, Vol. 1
  • A Game of Thrones: The Book of Ice and Fire RPG rulebook
  • The Wheel of Time: Boxed Set #1 (Wheel of Time, #1-3)
  • Robin Hobb Collection: Assassin's Apprentice, Royal Assassin, Assassin's Quest (The Farseer Trilogy)
  • Magician: Apprentice, Volume 1
  • The Sword of Truth Boxed Set II: Temple of the Winds; Soul of the Fire; Faith of the Fallen (Sword of Truth, #4-6)
  • Mistborn Trilogy Boxed Set (Mistborn, #1-3)
  • Raymond E. Feist's Magician Master
  • The Dark Tower Series Collection: The Gunslinger, The Drawing of the Three, The Waste Lands, Wizard and Glass, Wolves of the Calla, Song of Susannah, The Dark Tower
  • The First Law Trilogy
  • Wolves (Raised By Wolves, #4)
  • The Night Angel Trilogy (Night Angel, #1-3)
  • The Ghosts of Blood and Innocence (Wraeththu Histories, #3)
The Spy Who Came In From the Cold by John le Carré: Summary  Study Guide Of Love and Other Demons by Gabriel Garcia Marquez Summary  Study Guide The Shadow of the Wind by Ruiz Zafón Summary  Study Guide The Honourable Schoolboy by John le Carre Summary  Study Guide Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J. K. Rowling Summary & Study Guide