Start by marking “365 Ways to Live Cheap: Your Everyday Guide to Saving Money” as Want to Read:
365 Ways to Live Cheap: Your Everyday Guide to Saving Money

365 Ways to Live Cheap: Your Everyday Guide to Saving Money

3.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  192 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Use cold water for most clothes washing and save up to $63 a year. Minimize your carload and reduce your gas mileage by as much as 5 percent. Invest in a deep freezer and fill it up with meat discounted at 30 percent or more. Take a look at your life and you'll realize that there's almost always a way to make do on less. This book offers up a bevy of ways to cut down on co ...more
Unknown Binding, 240 pages
Published January 1st 2012 by Adams Media Corporation (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about 365 Ways to Live Cheap, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 365 Ways to Live Cheap

Anya
Dec 18, 2008 Anya rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I adore Trent Hamm's blog, www.thesimpledollar.com, where he shares tips and anecdotes from his ongoing attempts to live frugally. Trent's a sweet guy and a more-than-decent writer, a 20-something conservative Christian libertarian (also quite open-minded and curious about life) living in Iowa with his wife and two little kids. Our lives couldn't be more different, but I enjoy his methodical, non-preachy advice. His blog is loaded with value for anyone wishing to learn more about personal financ ...more
Laura Hughes
None of this will be particularly new if you're a reader of Trent Hamm's blog, "The Simple Dollar," but it might be nice to have Trent's typical advice (which is generally very solid) arranged together in list form. Each tip is explained with a few paragraphs and organized into sections. Some focus on frugal tactics: getting the most for your dollar at the grocery store, for example, or trimming your electric bill. Others focus on more general life advice, like choosing a frugal partner and surr ...more
Amy
Jun 17, 2014 Amy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, kindle
Nothing new, common sense, don't unless it's free - heeeeeeey.... and there's bonus tip 366 on how to save money.
Liz De Coster
When a blog is turned into a book, sometimes it expands on the content of the blog, adding depth or context to the blog's topic. This isn't really one of those cases - I felt that almost every chapter or suggestion in the book could be directly connected to one of the blog posts from The Simple Dollar. I'd recommend the blog, instead, if you're interested in the topic.
May 08, 2010 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easy, quick read with lots of good ideas and suggestions.
Melissa
Oct 22, 2015 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I figured with my baby due in three months that this could be a very useful book. It turns out that it has some incredibly good money saving tips! Not only did I learn new ways to save money, but I also learned more about retirement funds and mortgages. I recommend this short, informative book to everyone (literally)... after all who couldn't stand to save a little money.
Lisa
Nov 20, 2015 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a handy guide with basic suggestions on how to save money. I didn't find too many that I could use, as either they weren't applicable to my living situation or they are ones that I have already put into use. However, it's a very good book for a young adult starting out living on his or her own.

**#79 of 100 books pledged to read/review during 2015**
Michael J Rich
Sep 21, 2014 Michael J Rich rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good ideas for some

The book is organized into categories so finding or skipping clusters of ideas is simple (money saving tips for raising kids, vacations, buying a house, etc.). Some of the information is a bit dated, like the advice for modifying cell phone plans. Overall, a pretty good highly readable list of frugal strategies.
Apr 23, 2015 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Common sense. Nothing I haven't heard, and only a few items that we don't already do. If someone needs to start with reigning in spending, this could be a good way to start. If you are already on the 'thrifty' life plan not a good way to spend time.
kylajaclyn
Why this took me so long to finish, I don't really know. This book has good tips, although a lot of them are common sense. Mostly this book is good for staying on track; I read a lot of tips in here that my family already does. It's worth a read, though how much you learn will probably be based on the knowledge of finances you already have.
Mischelle
This was some good advice in this book. I do already follow some of these things before reading this. The clothes line is good. If you can't put up a clothes line, get one of the clothes racks from the store. There are stores that sale those rack to hang clothes on by a hanger. The best clothes racks are from a clothing store. When a clothing store went out of business, we were able to buy a few of their clothing racks. They are much better than the racks from the store in a box.

I do like how th
Jessica Blevins
Jan 09, 2009 Jessica Blevins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book mainly because I am a huge fan of the author's blog, The Simple Dollar, which offers daily tips and meditations on finance, work/life balance, environmental issues, and frugality.

If you've been a reader of The Simple Dollar for a few months, there's not much new in this book. However, it is nice to have all Trent Hamm's tips consolidated into one handy reference. I've flagged several tips that I want to try, such as cutting dryer sheets in half and making my own laundry deterge
Katharine Rudzitis
Plenty of ideas for cutting back, but they probably won't be new if you follow thesimpledollar.com and other PF/FI blogs.
Dec 06, 2014 Laura rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Much of it is common sense for followers of Trent's blog however I would recommend this book for budget/saving novices.
Angelia Darden
May 29, 2015 Angelia Darden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was surprised at how much I do already that was in the book,I learned some new things which I plan to put into practice immediately
Jerry Williams
Although I rarely ever skim through a Book, I felt that some of the advice was a little common sense at times and didn't apply to me at other times, I'm not faulting the Author for covering all of bases. I just found myself skipping through many chapters. However the advice on cluter, was very interesting. "Realize that clutter itself is a giant money sink"..."Don't upgrade your living space to house more stuff".
Gremlin
Feb 28, 2013 Gremlin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
It's a cute and fast little book. Easy to read, easy to navigate, easy to understand.

The tips are hit or miss. Most of them are good ideas, but obviously how many work for you will depend on your lifestyle and your general awareness towards money and frugality.

In my case, my lifestyle is already fairly alternative, and I am fairly aware of my finances and keeping a low cost of living, so most of the ideas were things I already knew.

But the info could be good for others in a different boat.
8588cee
Nov 30, 2012 8588cee rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There are lots of ideas and ways to save money by being cheap! I am too cheap and I borrowed this book at no cost... This book has been filled with need of common sense and stuff that we already know ways to save money. There are few suggestions that I have not known that you can save money that are based on. It is good book for someone who really needs to save every penny as order to survive.
Jackie Wolfred
Aug 06, 2011 Jackie Wolfred rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: thrift-minded people
This handy book is a good resource for someone starting to live more frugally. I didn't realize when I checked it out at the public library that it was written by the Founder of TheSimpleDollar.com, which I subscribe to. Even though I am doing most of what the book touts and then some, it was a good reminder of how to live thoughtfully CHEAP.
Becky
Oct 09, 2011 Becky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a good beginner's guide to saving money. The points are short and easy to understand. Quick read and easy to implement most of the ideas. However, very few ideas for people who have already been living a more frugal life and some of the ideas I actually disagree with. But, good starting point.
Inder
May 21, 2010 Inder rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: simplicity, green, money
Gimmicky, and mostly no-brainers, but a fun quick read between other things. There are several ideas here that I will definitely implement - I loved the idea of debt "snowflaking" (in addition to "snowballing"), and there are some concretely helpful suggestions on cutting energy costs, etc.
Aspasia
Jun 13, 2011 Aspasia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, money
A lot of these tips are a no-brainer to someone who has been raised to live a frugal lifestyle. This book would be best for someone who has had to downgrade their lifestyle and needs help switching from high maintenance to low maintenance costs.
Desiree
Feb 07, 2013 Desiree rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-challenge
It had a lot of information but most of it was common sense. This is more of a book for someone with absolutely no clue on how to save money. I honestly did not take anything away from reading this book.
Nikki
Feb 09, 2011 Nikki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't think I'm the target audience for this book. I would recommend it to someone who is starting out on a lifestyle change to save more money.
Amy
May 28, 2010 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: from-the-library
This is filled with good, practical tips that anyone can use. I've now subscribed to his blog thesimpledollar.com.
Shelly
Jul 19, 2012 Shelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This had a lot of good information on it.
I'm glad I checked it out from the library instead of buying it!
Christina
Mar 31, 2009 Christina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, finance
Cute book, easy read, tips are easy to implement. Recommended for "beginners level" cheapos!
Grant Laird
Sep 21, 2014 Grant Laird rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was okay. They could have put more details yet they keep it simple.
Laura Gilfillan
Basic advice, a few interesting ideas
Laura B unata
Jan 10, 2015 Laura B unata rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good advice on how to save money
  • The Ultimate Cheapskate's Road Map to True Riches: A Practical (and Fun) Guide to Enjoying Life More by Spending Less
  • Money Secrets of the Amish: Finding True Abundance in Simplicity, Sharing, and Saving
  • America's Cheapest Family Gets You Right on the Money: Your Guide to Living Better, Spending Less, and Cashing in on Your Dreams
  • Suze Orman's 2009 Action Plan: Keeping Your Money Safe & Sound
  • Miserly Moms: Living on One Income in a Two-Income Economy
  • The Money Saving Mom's Budget: Slash Your Spending, Pay Down Your Debt, Streamline Your Life, and Save Thousands a Year
  • One Year to an Organized Financial Life: From Your Bills to Your Bank Account, Your Home to Your Retirement, the Week-by-Week Guide to Achieving Financial Peace of Mind
  • How Did I Get So Busy?: The 28-day Plan to Free Your Time, Reclaim Your Schedule, and Reconnect with What Matters Most
  • New Treehouses of the World
  • Start Over, Finish Rich: 10 Steps to Get You Back on Track in 2010
  • My Librarian Is a Camel: How Books Are Brought to Children Around the World
  • Secrets of Simplicity
2752000
I write personal finance articles and books for a living, but I'm currently stretching myself into short stories and food writing, among other things.

I live in rural Iowa with my wife and two children.

I'm using GoodReads to keep track of all of the stuff I read for ~personal enjoyment~ (meaning I'm not counting stuff I'm reading for the purposes of review) from July 27, 2009 onwards (when I joined
More about Trent Hamm...