First Truth

First Truth (Truth #1)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  2,942 ratings  ·  206 reviews
Alissa didn't believe in magic, not until she was sent on a journey to an endangered fortress known as The Hold-and discovered the gifts within herself to save it.
Audio, 0 pages
Published July 1st 2010 by Findaway World (first published May 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about First Truth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about First Truth

Sky
Best damned book about dragons ever... period. Some might argue that fact, but they haven't read this book. Or they're a guy and they prefer their dragons spitting fire.

I've never read a book that describes magic so thoroughly either. You start thinking you might actually be able to grasp how it's all done, and attempt some of it yourself.
Also, very real relationships throughout the series.
I can say this as well... it all ends very nicely, and is wrapped up beautifully.

I just didn't want the...more
Ducky
I'm not quite sure if this deserves three or four stars. I would've given this one five stars, but Strell got on my nerves with his incessant cheesy, romantic lines.

----

"Who," he breathed roughly, "will sing you to sleep when your rest is troubled?"

Clang!

"Who will tease you until you stamp your foot?" he sobbed, his unnoticed tears of frustration freezing on his cheek.

Clang!

"And who," he whispered fiercely, raising Alissa's staff high over his head. "Who will ever love you more than I?"

----

That...more
Chibineko
If you aren't already aware, Dawn Cook is the pen name of Kim Harrison, author of the Hollows series. It was because of this that I picked this book up in the first place. After all, I love the Hollows books & even though this isn't exactly my cup of tea, I figured that I'd enjoy this series.

First Truth follows the character of Alissa, a young woman who is forced to set out in search of a place she's only heard about in stories- the magical Hold of the Masters. She doesn't know where to go-...more
Mike (the Paladin)
Well, again I have a situation. A lot of people like this(these) book(s) and I can see why. It's well done and I stayed mildly interested. I'm just not the target audience for this (these).

What we have here is a journey that turns into a quest that turns into a romance (or is a romance underneath). There are conspiracies, plots and lies along the way and some revelations about the nature of "things".

I started out interested as the young woman left home (very much against her will). We met the yo...more
Becky
I really enjoyed this authors style of writing. Very detailed, but keeps your interest. She doesn't describe the room to the smallest detail, however she will describe it while the characters walk around it/touch it/sense it. I read every word on every page.
Jill Furedy
First off, I was really annoyed with the cover of this book...I am buying the original covers. Every time Alissa complained that her short straight hair was getting longer or Strell commented on it, I'd growl at the cover. And I hate that they made Talon glow, as that started me thinking...well something about Talon is magical. And I would have preferred they not give me that nudge.
As for the story, Alissa is fine...but not someone I really connected with for some reason. Some books I walk awa...more
Lightreads
What Kim Harrison wrote before she was Kim Harrison: generic quest fantasy with cardboard worldbuilding and a paint-by-numbers romance. I was looking for something fluffy an stupid and I thought this might do it. Unfortunately, it was a bit fluffier and way stupider than anticipated.

The whole thing was not helped by Marguerite Gavin’s audio narration. She has this way of delivering dialogue with oversold! Quivering! Emotion! That did this book in particular no favors. I mean, a straight-faced sc...more
Malin
Alissa has never been accepted by the people around her parents' foothills farm, as her mother is from the plains, and her father from the foothills. There is fierce rivalry and much prejudice between the tradesmen of the plains and the farmers of the foothills and intermarriage between the peoples is frowned upon, and the offspring of such unions are treated as outcasts.

Alissa's father has been missing since she was five, and now, at nearly twenty, her mother is sending her away, claiming she n...more
Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog)
This review was posted at Under the Covers

I have to admit that it has taken me FOREVER to get to read this book. I’ve had it on my TBR for a while mainly because I love Kim Harrison and I have never read her stuff beyond The Hollows, so I’ve been extremely curious. However, time is always an issue.

But then this book released on audio and there was my chance to get to it! Finally! And to top it all off, it’s narrated by one of my all-time favorite narrators: Marguerite Gavin. *cue fangirl squeeee...more
Yodamom
I am a big fan of Kim Harrison, she is one of my top 5 authors. I had to try her Dawn Cook books, I found it very enjoyable. It is an easy to read, fantasy. The two main characters are from opposite sides of the track in this world. Alissa is stubborn, powerful with latent magic and naive. Strell is humorous, musical and stubborn. Both distrust each other, and think less of the other because of where they are from. They are forced to combine their journeys after events tear their families apart...more
CJ - Drop Dead Cute
Pretty good first book in the series the only bad thing is that it ends in such a way that you HAVE to read the second book immediately. Luckily for me I bought it.

Characters are good, a little childish at first but then begin to grow into themselves and their roles slowly. Alissa - who doesn't believe in magic but clearly has a latent power - and Strell - a musician who doesn't believe in magic until he meets her - are the two main characters.

They travel together and become friends...until one...more
Julie
I had completely forgotten about this book until I found it buried in one of my bookshelves gathering dust.

This book was written by Dawn Cook, otherwise known as Kim Harrison. Honestly, I adore it and I think it's almost superior to her Hallows books, which were by far my favorites until I stumbled upon this series. Within the last few years i'd almost given up on finding favorites in fantasy and was leaning far more towards the preternatural genre, but this has reminded of how much I love high...more
Angie
...2,5

Pas du tout ce à quoi je m'attendais, et je n'ai pas franchement été sensible à l'histoire racontée. Alors que les protagonistes semblent être des adultes, ils se comportent pourtant comme des gosses, ce qui est assez déroutant. Puis le manque d'action m'a beaucoup gênée. En dépit d'une fin qui laisse planer un léger suspens, je ne compte pas continuer cette série trop enfantine, qui me semble destinée à un jeune public dont je ne fais pas partie.
Grande amatrice de fantasy, ce n'est claire...more
Zara
while it was a well written book, all of the characters were unbelievably flat and irritating. I can't think of another female character who whined this much who wasn't a spoiled brat of some rich parents. throughout the entire book, all alissa does is whine, complain, throw tantrums, screams and basically acts like a BRAT! she doesn't have two brain cells to rub together to form a thought that doesn't involve blaming someone or defending herself as innocent in something where obviously she is a...more
Tammie
3 1/2 stars. I enjoyed it, but felt that Bailic was not nearly as sinister as he could have been, and I thought he was a bit slow not to have figured out who the keeper was. I did like the slow pace that their relationship developed at.
Darcy
I wanted to check out this series as I really like this authors other books under a different name. In the end this book couldn't hold my attention, so it ended up not being for me.
Angie
Nov 26, 2007 Angie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adults
Shelves: fantasy
This is a clean, interesting fantasy for adults. I liked the heroine and the strong men in this story. The story continues in three other books which are also good.
Deb Cutler
A fantasy setting that has so far avoided today's cliches. Although the main character is just now learning her magic, she is not a child. She is at least 19 or 20 years old. So when she sent out on her own she can stand on her own two feet for the most part. Admittedly, she doesn't not have strong wilderness skills, but she has never had a major use for them.

So far there has been no love triangle. Thank God! I am getting very tired of those. The relationship was not love at first sight, but has...more
Kelly
Excellent story. Characters that you really care about and who doesn't love magic?
Jodi
Kim Harrison is well known for her Dead Witch Walking series, an adult urban fantasy series. She is less well known as Dawn Cook, author of the Truth series, a YA fantasy series. This is the first book in the series. Alissa doesn't believe in magic but her mother insists that she follow her father to the Hold, a mythical place where he disappeared 14 years earlier. She doesn't even know how she will find it. Strell, a minstrel, is looking for proof that his family was indeed wiped out in a flood...more
Jared
First Truth by Dawn Cook was a refreshing and wonderful book. The book centers around two main characters Alissa and Strell with a couple of other minor characters that take importance towards the end of the book. I found this quite the change from the "high fantasy" that I normally read--however, it was a good change. Rather than spending time of building an intricate world with a complex magic system, Ms. Cook instead focus on the two main characters and their journey towards understanding and...more
Geneve
I admit, my judgment is cloudy with fantasy novels, and the fact that I'm addicted makes me slightly too harsh a critic.
That said, this was a great read, nice setting and good characters, weighed down by the fact that it's all out there already.

The two lands separated by mistrust, check.
Girl with a mysterious past, check.
Farmer suddenly discovering magical talent, check.
Newly talented farmer finding out she's one of the strongest magicians out there, check.
Magical academy taken over by evil, ch...more
Sabrina
Von dem Buch ,,Die erste Wahrheit" habe ich mir mehr erhofft.
Aber fangen wir erst einmal von vorne an.

Das Buch lässt sich sehr gut lesen. Ich hatte überhaupt keine Schwierigkeiten mit dem Verständnis der erzählten Geschichte.
Die Umgebung konnte ich mir sehr gut vorstellen, auch die Atmosphäre in dem Buch griff quasi über mich.

Zu Anfang treffen wir auf drei Charaktere. Alissa, Strell und der Buntfalke Kralle. Zwischen Alissa und Strell solle sich eine Art Romantik und Liebe entwickeln. Aha.
H...more
Cortney
Alissa doesn't believe in magic. Her father's stories about the Hold, a legendary fortress where human Keepers learn magic from the enigmatic Maters, are just that―stories. But her mother insists that Alissa has inherited her father's magical ability, and so she must go to the Hold―the only place her talents can be trained.

On her way, she crosses paths with Strell, a wandering musician from the plains. And though Alissa is not sure she can trust a plainsman, Strell has something she needs―one of
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
Not the type of book that I would normally pick up, since I'm not into epic fantasy. But, one of my friends really liked it so I decided to give it a try. Of course, since the book has such a trashy cover, my family teased me endlessly. My sister was like, "Brigid, what would possess you to pick up this book?" and my mom thought it was like a nasty romance novel or something and I'm like "Gosh it's something Abby [my friend:] told me to read!"

Now, I'd like to be all "Don't judge a book by its co...more
Kim
Honestly I wanted to read this book because it was written by Kim Harrison aka Dawn Cook. I have enjoyed her writing style so much that I wanted to give it a whirl.

Let me start off by saying, it's a good fluff book. A time filler when you have ran out of things to read. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad book by any stretch of the imagination. The SL is some what original, there is Kim's basic way of writing sexual tension (even tho there isn't even a profession of love in the book, let alone a...more
Elaine
I wasn't sure what to make of this book after reading all the Hollow's series and this book is so different. The writing style seems different and it was all just not what I've come to expect from Kim Harrison regardless if she was writing under a different name.

The story was rather complex and at times explained too much but it all seemed to flow and didn't really lose track or get boring, The information written was always relevent to the story at the time it took place. However I did find the...more
Amanda
Alissa doesn't believe in magic. Even though her father has filled her head with stories of the Hold and Keepers, she was convinced that they were only stories. But when Alissa's mother throws her out of the home to find her destiny, Alissa finds that stories can be real. As Alissa journeys through the foothills and plains, she meets up with Strell, who helps her find the truth.

I was so disappointed in this series. As a big fan of Kim Harrison's Rachel Morgan series, I thought her debut YA fanta...more
Aer1th
Cover/Aussehen
Das Cover ist zugleich mystisch und sexy gestaltet, allerdings ist es auch irreführend, da die Frau scheinbar Alissa, unsere weibliche Protagonistin, darstellen soll, sie im Buch aber optisch ganz anders beschrieben wird.
Dennoch ist das Cover ansprechend und hat mich zum Kauf des Buches animiert.

Inhalt
Als Alissa beginnt immer rastloser zu werden und an den unmöglichsten Orten einzuschlafen, ahnt ihre Mutter bereits, dass die Zeit gekommen ist, ihre Tochter fortzuschicken. Doch Alis...more
Samantha
I'd previously read this story when I was in high school and for some reason subsequently bought the remaining 3 books in this series (even though I never got past the first one). Hello, my name is Samantha, and I have a problem with buying too many books. Since then I've been staring at this series on my bookshelf for a while and I decided to begin again.

I think I understand why this book appealed to the high school girl in me. It's a story about a young girl with humble beginnings that finds o...more
  • The Glasswrights' Journeyman (Glasswright, #3)
  • Song in the Silence (The Tale of Lanen Kaelar, #1)
  • Path of Fate (Path, #1)
  • Dragon Bones (Hurog, #1)
  • The Hero Strikes Back (Hero, #2)
  • The Mage's Daughter (Nine Kingdoms, #2)
  • The Forbidden Land (The Witches of Eileanan, #4)
  • Reader and Raelynx (Twelve Houses, #4)
  • Armed & Magical (Raine Benares #2)
The Decoy Princess (Princess, #1) Hidden Truth (Truth, #2) Princess at Sea (Princess, #2) Lost Truth (Truth, #4) Forgotten Truth (Truth, #3)