Start by marking “First Truth ” as Want to Read:
First Truth

First Truth (Truth #1)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  3,569 ratings  ·  236 reviews
Alissa didn't believe in magic, not until she was sent on a journey to an endangered fortress known as The Hold-and discovered the gifts within herself to save it.
Audio, 0 pages
Published July 1st 2010 by Findaway World (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about First Truth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about First Truth

Best damned book about dragons ever... period. Some might argue that fact, but they haven't read this book. Or they're a guy and they prefer their dragons spitting fire.

I've never read a book that describes magic so thoroughly either. You start thinking you might actually be able to grasp how it's all done, and attempt some of it yourself.
Also, very real relationships throughout the series.
I can say this as well... it all ends very nicely, and is wrapped up beautifully.

I just didn't want the
I'm not quite sure if this deserves three or four stars. I would've given this one five stars, but Strell got on my nerves with his incessant cheesy, romantic lines.

"Who," he breathed roughly, "will sing you to sleep when your rest is troubled?"

"Who will tease you until you stamp your foot?" he sobbed, his unnoticed tears of frustration freezing on his cheek.

"And who," he whispered fiercely, raising Alissa's staff high over his head. "Who will ever love you more than I?"

If you aren't already aware, Dawn Cook is the pen name of Kim Harrison, author of the Hollows series. It was because of this that I picked this book up in the first place. After all, I love the Hollows books & even though this isn't exactly my cup of tea, I figured that I'd enjoy this series.

First Truth follows the character of Alissa, a young woman who is forced to set out in search of a place she's only heard about in stories- the magical Hold of the Masters. She doesn't know where to go-
Mike (the Paladin)
Well, again I have a situation. A lot of people like this(these) book(s) and I can see why. It's well done and I stayed mildly interested. I'm just not the target audience for this (these).

What we have here is a journey that turns into a quest that turns into a romance (or is a romance underneath). There are conspiracies, plots and lies along the way and some revelations about the nature of "things".

I started out interested as the young woman left home (very much against her will). We met the yo
I really enjoyed this authors style of writing. Very detailed, but keeps your interest. She doesn't describe the room to the smallest detail, however she will describe it while the characters walk around it/touch it/sense it. I read every word on every page.
Jill Furedy
First off, I was really annoyed with the cover of this book...I am buying the original covers. Every time Alissa complained that her short straight hair was getting longer or Strell commented on it, I'd growl at the cover. And I hate that they made Talon glow, as that started me thinking...well something about Talon is magical. And I would have preferred they not give me that nudge.
As for the story, Alissa is fine...but not someone I really connected with for some reason. Some books I walk awa
What Kim Harrison wrote before she was Kim Harrison: generic quest fantasy with cardboard worldbuilding and a paint-by-numbers romance. I was looking for something fluffy an stupid and I thought this might do it. Unfortunately, it was a bit fluffier and way stupider than anticipated.

The whole thing was not helped by Marguerite Gavin’s audio narration. She has this way of delivering dialogue with oversold! Quivering! Emotion! That did this book in particular no favors. I mean, a straight-faced sc
Alissa has never been accepted by the people around her parents' foothills farm, as her mother is from the plains, and her father from the foothills. There is fierce rivalry and much prejudice between the tradesmen of the plains and the farmers of the foothills and intermarriage between the peoples is frowned upon, and the offspring of such unions are treated as outcasts.

Alissa's father has been missing since she was five, and now, at nearly twenty, her mother is sending her away, claiming she n
Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog)
This review was posted at Under the Covers

I have to admit that it has taken me FOREVER to get to read this book. I’ve had it on my TBR for a while mainly because I love Kim Harrison and I have never read her stuff beyond The Hollows, so I’ve been extremely curious. However, time is always an issue.

But then this book released on audio and there was my chance to get to it! Finally! And to top it all off, it’s narrated by one of my all-time favorite narrators: Marguerite Gavin. *cue fangirl squeeee
I am a big fan of Kim Harrison, she is one of my top 5 authors. I had to try her Dawn Cook books, I found it very enjoyable. It is an easy to read, fantasy. The two main characters are from opposite sides of the track in this world. Alissa is stubborn, powerful with latent magic and naive. Strell is humorous, musical and stubborn. Both distrust each other, and think less of the other because of where they are from. They are forced to combine their journeys after events tear their families apart ...more
A few thoughts about this book:

The book ended abruptly – not a problem given the next book in the series is available.

The reader was told a lot of time was passing – but it didn’t “feel” like a lot of time was passing.

Detailed descriptions of domestic chores were too frequent and didn’t add anything to the story in my opinion.

Author spent a lot of time showing us the main characters falling in love – which was cute, but it did not advance the plot. I think the story suffered from the time spent
CJ - So, you wanna play with magic?
Pretty good first book in the series the only bad thing is that it ends in such a way that you HAVE to read the second book immediately. Luckily for me I bought it.

Characters are good, a little childish at first but then begin to grow into themselves and their roles slowly. Alissa - who doesn't believe in magic but clearly has a latent power - and Strell - a musician who doesn't believe in magic until he meets her - are the two main characters.

They travel together and become friends...until one
I had completely forgotten about this book until I found it buried in one of my bookshelves gathering dust.

This book was written by Dawn Cook, otherwise known as Kim Harrison. Honestly, I adore it and I think it's almost superior to her Hallows books, which were by far my favorites until I stumbled upon this series. Within the last few years i'd almost given up on finding favorites in fantasy and was leaning far more towards the preternatural genre, but this has reminded of how much I love high
I gave up 226 pages into this book. Like many others, I picked it up because I was interested in what other works Kim Harrison had to offer. However, it is easy to see why this one isn't well known. It is rather lackluster in comparison to the Hollows. I kept picking it up and then setting down for weeks at a time because I just wasn't interested enough. It had a high fantasy adventure buried in there somewhere but it was too plain and generic, nothing stood out.

Pas du tout ce à quoi je m'attendais, et je n'ai pas franchement été sensible à l'histoire racontée. Alors que les protagonistes semblent être des adultes, ils se comportent pourtant comme des gosses, ce qui est assez déroutant. Puis le manque d'action m'a beaucoup gênée. En dépit d'une fin qui laisse planer un léger suspens, je ne compte pas continuer cette série trop enfantine, qui me semble destinée à un jeune public dont je ne fais pas partie.
Grande amatrice de fantasy, ce n'est claire
Wahrheiten-Tetralogie 01. Die Erste Wahrheit - Dawn Cook
Ein etwas plumper Beginn der Wahrheiten-Tetralogie.

Die Erste Wahrheit

"Alissa glaubt nicht an Magie. Und schon gar nicht an die Märchen ihres verstorbenen Vaters von jener sagenhaften Feste in den Bergen, in der einst angeblich Drachen und mächtige Zauberer gewirkt haben. Bis es Alissa eines Tages selbst an diesen Ort verschlägt."

Zum Autor:

Dawn Cook wurde in Michigan, USA, geboren und ist eine amerikanische Fantasyautorin.

3 1/2 stars. I enjoyed it, but felt that Bailic was not nearly as sinister as he could have been, and I thought he was a bit slow not to have figured out who the keeper was. I did like the slow pace that their relationship developed at.
Stuart Macmartin
Exactly the kind of book I was looking for. Easy fantasy. I'm surprised at the impatience others have with the pacing. This felt genuine and never stalled. As others have warned, this book does suffer from the inexperience of the author. The characters are too old for their behaviour and thoughts (though to some extent this could be a byproduct of their upbringing), the handling of the racism was a little gentle, and the bad guy is both unrealistically cardboard character and too nice. Threaten ...more
I wanted to check out this series as I really like this authors other books under a different name. In the end this book couldn't hold my attention, so it ended up not being for me.
Nov 26, 2007 Angie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adults
Shelves: fantasy
This is a clean, interesting fantasy for adults. I liked the heroine and the strong men in this story. The story continues in three other books which are also good.
Deb Cutler
A fantasy setting that has so far avoided today's cliches. Although the main character is just now learning her magic, she is not a child. She is at least 19 or 20 years old. So when she sent out on her own she can stand on her own two feet for the most part. Admittedly, she doesn't not have strong wilderness skills, but she has never had a major use for them.

So far there has been no love triangle. Thank God! I am getting very tired of those. The relationship was not love at first sight, but has
Sydney Mugerwa
A bit simplistic in terms of plot, for now. I wondered halfway what to more to expect as the conflict was just about resolved but Dawn true to her reputation kept me entertained right up to the still rather simplistic and convenient climax. Dawn Cook has a way she writes that keeps you involved in her plot much as nothing much is going on.

There are a lot of mysteries I would like to see unraveled so I will presently embark on book 2 if not to see how this loose romance pans out.

“Onward!” Strell
My exposure to this book was via audiobook...which probably made me more tolerant to the occasionally cringe-worthy dialogue. But honestly, I loved this book.

It has it's silly YA moments but that was all part of the fun interesting engaging package. I was shocked to find out that Kim Harrison is actually the author, especially because I started this series literally the day I finished the last Rachel Morgan (excuse me while I cry again).

The take on magic was so interesting and the author manag
Excellent story. Characters that you really care about and who doesn't love magic?
I was torn on this book. I did enjoy it. The characters were good for the most part but Alissa really started getting on my nerves with the whole MY BOOK thing. Ok, I get that it was calling to her and that it was really strong magic and hard to resist, but really she started sounding like a toddler after a while. That's MINE. MINE MINE MINE MINE MINE. In fact the scene where she had to be tackled was really quite reminiscent of my daughter's temper tantrums.

Managing to look past that, I liked

There was a lot that I liked about this book. But I have to say that I disliked the ending greatly.

I disliked how much Alissa was ... utterly disregarded. A tangent to the entire back quarter of the book. And I don't understand, given how much weight honor and one's word seems to hold here - (view spoiler)
Kim Harrison is well known for her Dead Witch Walking series, an adult urban fantasy series. She is less well known as Dawn Cook, author of the Truth series, a YA fantasy series. This is the first book in the series. Alissa doesn't believe in magic but her mother insists that she follow her father to the Hold, a mythical place where he disappeared 14 years earlier. She doesn't even know how she will find it. Strell, a minstrel, is looking for proof that his family was indeed wiped out in a flood ...more
First Truth by Dawn Cook was a refreshing and wonderful book. The book centers around two main characters Alissa and Strell with a couple of other minor characters that take importance towards the end of the book. I found this quite the change from the "high fantasy" that I normally read--however, it was a good change. Rather than spending time of building an intricate world with a complex magic system, Ms. Cook instead focus on the two main characters and their journey towards understanding and ...more
I admit, my judgment is cloudy with fantasy novels, and the fact that I'm addicted makes me slightly too harsh a critic.
That said, this was a great read, nice setting and good characters, weighed down by the fact that it's all out there already.

The two lands separated by mistrust, check.
Girl with a mysterious past, check.
Farmer suddenly discovering magical talent, check.
Newly talented farmer finding out she's one of the strongest magicians out there, check.
Magical academy taken over by evil, ch
Von dem Buch ,,Die erste Wahrheit" habe ich mir mehr erhofft.
Aber fangen wir erst einmal von vorne an.

Das Buch lässt sich sehr gut lesen. Ich hatte überhaupt keine Schwierigkeiten mit dem Verständnis der erzählten Geschichte.
Die Umgebung konnte ich mir sehr gut vorstellen, auch die Atmosphäre in dem Buch griff quasi über mich.

Zu Anfang treffen wir auf drei Charaktere. Alissa, Strell und der Buntfalke Kralle. Zwischen Alissa und Strell solle sich eine Art Romantik und Liebe entwickeln. Aha.
  • The Glasswrights' Journeyman (Glasswright, #3)
  • Redeeming the Lost (The Tale of Lanen Kaelar, #3)
  • The Hero Strikes Back (Hero, #2)
  • Guardian of Honor (The Summoning #1)
  • Dragon Bones (Hurog, #1)
  • Cast in Fury (Chronicles of Elantra #4)
  • Path of Fate (Path, #1)
  • Magic Lost, Trouble Found (Raine Benares #1)
  • The Sword (The Sword, the Ring, and the Chalice, #1)
  • Princess of the Sword (Nine Kingdoms, #3)
  • Dark Moon Defender (Twelve Houses, #3)
  • The Pool of Two Moons (The Witches of Eileanan, #2)
aka Kim Harrison

Dawn Cook was born on 1966 in Detroit, Michigan, USA. She grew up in the Midwest as the only girl in a family of boys, and is a self-proclaimed "former tomboy". She grew up reading science fiction and fairytales. She discovered her talent for writing at the age of 15, when she began writing down the stories that she conceived. Despite her love of writing, she took an unorthodox app
More about Dawn Cook...

Truth (4 books)
  • Hidden Truth (Truth, #2)
  • Forgotten Truth (Truth, #3)
  • Lost Truth (Truth, #4)