Between Me and the River: A Memoir

Between Me and the River: A Memoir

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Carrie Host knows that the diagnosis of a life-threatening illness takes a split second to change your life. When told at forty, with her youngest child just nine months old, that she had a rare form of cancer known as carcinoid tumor, Host felt as if she'd been hurled into a raging river, stripped of all forms of potential rescue. Between Me and the River is Host's candid...more
Published April 19th 2011 by Harlequin (first published 2009)

Pastoralmusings
Between Me And The River is a very moving book.
Host compares the experience of dealing with cancer to falling in a river. Whether one is deep in the water, dead in the water, sweeping toward the rapids, then the falls, or coming up out of the water, the experiences have similarities.
Host is very candid about her experiences and her emotions. Her love for her family, her struggles, her ups and downs are all chronicled in this book.
One feels as though he is going through the whole raging episode w...more
Carole
This is an incredibly moving story of how Carrie Host deals with the most devastating news anyone could have.........being told that you have cancer, particularly when your youngest child is not even one.

One minute I was in tears as she was preparing herself for how to gently tell her two teenage children of her diagnosis and the treatment she would be having, and the next I was smiling as she describes her husband, Amory, getting the car ready --

Amory is already dressed and scraping ice and sno
Cheryl
Carrie Host has a truly amazing story to tell. It concerns her, her family and her battle against cancer. The year was 2003. Carrie was having some pains; she went to a gastroenterologist and was told it was Crohn’s disease. Lab tests were sent to Mayo Clinic. When the results came back, Carrie was notified that she didn’t have Crohn’s disease but Cancer. Who could ever imagine that one little word…Cancer could cause such an upheaval. Between Me and the River is the story of Carrie’s journey. Sh...more
Naomi Bodway
Given to me by my niece as she was battling esophageal cancer, I had a hard time picking this book up to read. Approaching the 4th anniversary of her passing, I was finally moved, or maybe I should say, able, to begin reading it. Once I began, I couldn't put it down. What a treasure. I am so clear now, as to why she gave me the book, and what it must have meant to her in her journey with the ugly "C" word. A transparent and real description of what it is to BE a cancer patient, this book written...more
Judith Johnson
If you know or love someone who has cancer, have or had cancer yourself, or think you may someday face cancer, you should read this book. The author has a rare form of cancer, carcinoid syndrome, the tumors of which are slow growing and usually form in the lower section of the small intestine but can metastasize to the lungs or other organs. They are resistant to chemotherapy and radiation so the treatment is to remove the tumors with surgery, knowing they will come back. The author had numerou...more
Cdoefer
Sitting on my next shelf. It is next month's book club selection, and according to the description by the young lady who recommended it to us, it's gonna be really good.
Susan
Violet Crush
Carrie Host, a mother of three, is diagnosed with a rare life threatening Carcinoid cancer. Obviously no one thinks such things could happen to them and Carrie is devastated. This book deals with her journey through Cancer with all the up’s and downs. The River signifies the various stages in her life.

This book was a torture to read, torture as in scary. It could probably be because it reminded me of how fragile life is and anything could happen anytime, about how a seemingly happy family could...more
Bookworm
In her memoir, Between Me and The River, Carrie Host tells her story about living with cancer. After being misdiagnosed with having Chrons Disease, she was officially diagnosed with a rare form of cancer, called Carcinoid Cancer, for which there is no cure since chemo therapy doesn't seem to work well it. The only hope she had was surviving surgery to get all the tumors out of her body, tumors that were the size of grains of rice and have spread throughout her organs.

Reading Carrie's memoir was...more
Karen
This memoir about a woman battling cancer felt honest and intense overall. My main complaint is that rather than simply writing a memoir, the author includes sections and chapters that read like self-help/advice for others with cancer. This is not necessarily a bad thing but I found the implementation annoying. The italicized paragraphs at the end of many chapters always started with the same sentence and tended to be overly wordy and preachy while not really saying anything. I think her actual...more
Tamara
I just finished listening on audio to this memoir written by cancer survivor Carrie Host. I work in a field where I occasionally meet people who are going through Cancer and I am a big proponent of trying to better understand what a person is going through and not just feel sorry for them. This book really helped to better understand what it is like to go through the initial diagnosis to the ongoing treatment of cancer. I really feel for Carrie and all she has gone through and am glad she has su...more
Catharine
This was a touching book about a woman's battle with cancer. I think a lot of people who have gone through a severe trial can relate to her feelings and emotions,even if that trial is not cancer. If I have any complaints about the book it would be that sometimes the author gets too caught up in metaphors. She obviously looks at life more metaphorically than I do--I wish I thought more in metaphors, but she is so good at them she kind of gets carried away.
Heather
I have never in my life read a book that follows so closely to my own experience with cancer. Not only did I understand her feelings about her surgeries and physical ailments but also I understood exactly how she was emotionally feeling. I cried as I read along with her story. I was so encouraged by her strength and courage. I will recommend this book to everyone who has or is facing cancer.
Tee
This is the manuscript Erica brought back for me when she went to Utah on her seminar. She met the author and told her I enjoyed reading memiors. I dogearred many pages inthis book and will reread them often in the future. We have several things in common. Although the cancer Carrie experienced is not one of them. She battles and fights for her life and her mental health.
AmblingBooks
A beautifully written and riveting memoir, Between Me and the River covers a two-year period in author Carrie Host's life as she fights a rare and deadly form of cancer known as carcinoid tumor.

Listen to Between Me and the River on your smartphone, notebook or desktop computer.
Anita
very brave story told by Carrie Host as she discovered she had carcinoid cancer. she used the river as a descriptor for how she was feeling and what she had to hold on to... a great metaphor. I really appreciated the depth of sharing. the first part of the book was kind of convoluted and a little hard to follow...probably like she felt, maybe.
melissa1lbr
A gorgeous memoir of a woman who survives a rare form of cancer. A realistic look at all of the emotional and physical struggles she deals with. Full review at One Librarian's Book Reviews. Review copy provided by online publicist.
Ellie
I laughed and cried and cheered Carrie on. I felt like I was there taking part in her life-like it were my own life that was playing out.......READ IT!!!! Cancer or no cancer-it will give you hope and make you remember how wonderful your life really is. You'll want to hug your husband and kids and never let them go.
Mary Goebel
One of the most poignant memoirs I've read ever.
She took me on a journey thru life with cancer. I cried, I laughed and had every emotion in between. I would recommend this to anyone dealing with cancer or any life-changing medical problem since many of the issues she faces are similar. Excellent!!!
Kathy
Put off reading this one for a while. I don't think my heart was ready for it. Still ended up sobbing through the entire book, but really enjoyed it. Also had the pleasure of meeting the author, a local Boulder woman, at a book reading and signing, which was a treat.
Tricia
A memoir of a woman's journey with a rare form of cancer. Poetic and lyrical, the author uses a lot of metaphor which was at times overdone for me. Click here for my full review.
Graham Harrelson
Honest and raw portrayal of a woman's fight against cancer. While not a 'light topic', the book reads quickly and there are some moments throughout that provide great perspective.
Jennifer Germain
Excellent book! Everyone who is touched by cancer in any way should read this inspirational book.
Jarrah
Beautifully yet gut wrenching book. Also inspiring..Read it!
Holly Hassett
Honest and compelling, helpful to any fellow traveler with cancer
Harlequin Books
Category: Biography and Memoir
Lisa
I have mixed feelings about this title.
Mandy
interesting and moving read.
Kathy Winterburn
Kathy Winterburn marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014